perseveringgolfer

Lets hear your chipping tips/techniques...that work!

This has been a great forum.  At the suggestion of some of you, I checked out the Justin Rose video.  What a great video.

I also started reading up on the Siekmann method.  It's very similar to that which Stockton promotes.  I haven't yet really executed when the pressure is on, but I have seen improvement trying his technique.  Haven't seen many videos, though: 

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/james-sieckmanns-short-game-tips

• Like 1

I got Sieckmann's book - "The short game solution" and see the reasoning behind his technique to use the bounce and minimize digging.

The one piece I have struggled with is applying the technique to greenside shots with very short carry (<10 yards) and short roll out. Basically if you are short sided and/or the green runs away from you. My default is to play a bump and run whenever the situation allows with a PW/9i. Would be interested to hear some feedback form folks on here about how they deal with being short sided. I am using my 60 LW more often because trying to make a tiny backswing with a PW feels harder to control. 

6 hours ago, BMart519 said:

I got Sieckmann's book - "The short game solution" and see the reasoning behind his technique to use the bounce and minimize digging.

The one piece I have struggled with is applying the technique to greenside shots with very short carry (<10 yards) and short roll out. Basically if you are short sided and/or the green runs away from you. My default is to play a bump and run whenever the situation allows with a PW/9i. Would be interested to hear some feedback form folks on here about how they deal with being short sided. I am using my 60 LW more often because trying to make a tiny backswing with a PW feels harder to control. 

I also feel less comfortable with shorter shots overall.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:09 PM, PMookie said:

One thing a former player of mine taught me was to go buy a cheap, beat-up wedge. Then, grab some old balls, and practice chipping off of CONCRETE! You learn to use the bounce VERY quickly! I thought he was crazy, but he was taught this by Chuck Cook when the kid was a student of his back when the kid was going Pro. It’s crazy, but it DOES work if one tends to blade shots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I teach with plywood!   If you can't hit it off a hard surface you won't hit it well off anything!   Width, Arc/Radius, contact, trajectory control, & spin are required to have a well rounded short game.  Locking or immobilizing anything is the kiss of death.  Pelz & Phil are not the answer for most players.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I also feel less comfortable with shorter shots overall.

You should feel uncomfortable short sided.  Very few options and more difficult shots to get within 3'.  Understand good approach targeting and eliminate as many short sided shots as possible.  Some of the best wedge players have the easiest shots to hit.  For example, for a skillful player, Woodlands shot on hole 17 wasn't the miracle the media made it out to be.  It was the easiest - perfect lie = perfect contact and  spin control.  You don't get that ease out of 4" of rough.  He had a perfect lie - not a difficult one.  

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 11:50 AM, MaxEntropy said:

This is an excellent point that I had never considered. I move the ball around in my stance a lot depending on how high or low I want the ball to go. At my skill level (or lack thereof), maybe I'm asking too much of myself hoping for a perfect strike every time.

You are not asking too much.  In fact, with proper technique you don't have to hit it perfectly solid to get a reasonable result.  Why would anyone want to use a technique that only gave good results from perfect contact?   There is a better way!! 

Ridyard, JD Pierce, Sickman

9 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

You are not asking too much.  In fact, with proper technique you don't have to hit it perfectly solid to get a reasonable result.  Why would anyone want to use a technique that only gave good results from perfect contact?   There is a better way!! 

Ridyard, JD Pierce, Sickman

Understood.  I am a fan of the Siekmann method.  But in my reading of his book, it appears that the method does not promote (and does not want) spin.  That's not to say you don't get spin.  You do on longer shots.  But not the super short ones.  Maybe I have that wrong.

8 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Understood.  I am a fan of the Siekmann method.  But in my reading of his book, it appears that the method does not promote (and does not want) spin.  That's not to say you don't get spin.  You do on longer shots.  But not the super short ones.  Maybe I have that wrong.

Lot's of great information available.  Spin can be good if you can guarantee you can produce it on call.  Nothing worse than expecting roll out and the ball stops.  If you can control it (and situation call for it) use it.  If you can't, avoid it all costs.  You are correct, super short ones don't spin very well.  

35 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

I teach with plywood!   If you can't hit it off a hard surface you won't hit it well off anything!   Width, Arc/Radius, contact, trajectory control, & spin are required to have a well rounded short game.  Locking or immobilizing anything is the kiss of death.  Pelz & Phil are not the answer for most players.  

no wrist hinge seems to work for many (incl me now) for wedge shots up to about 75yds. I believe Jason Day is a big proponent as well.

10 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

no wrist hinge seems to work for many (incl me now) for wedge shots up to about 75yds. I believe Jason Day is a big proponent as well.

Jason Day uses wrist hinge, just a minimal amount.  It is creating a match up of the body and wrists that deliver a useful angle of attack, launch trajectory, predictable distance, & predictable spin desired.  The key is that he delivers a shaft and head relationship that is very similar to all great wedge players.  That delivery is what is important, the technique is what gets the job done.  However, no great wedge player has anything locked.  There is hinge - more or less.  There is body rotation - more or less.  There is pressure transfer - more or less.  There is flexion, extension, & tilt - more or less.  Jason Day is a proponent for what works for him the same as every good player.