Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Why oh why would anyone do this???

chisag

... I ran into this amazingly stupid and careless routine again today. Someone is on the tee with the rest of the group to the left of the tee box. The person on the tee turns to his left and takes practice swings right at the group!?!? In LA about 10 years ago a guy did this and hit his driver into the ground, the shaft broke and hit the guy next to me in the chest. I turned just in time but still got a face full of dirt. Thankfully the jagged shaft didn't hit him but he still had a red welp mark on his chest he showed his friend later in the round, when his friend said he was being a big baby. A few years ago I wasn't paying attention and had the same thing happen, although the head didn't snap off the shaft, but I got covered in wet turf.

... I got paired up with a 3some today and one of the guys turned and started to take a practice swing and I said "WHOA! I apologize for interrupting you but you have 325* in every direction that isn't right at someone, why would you swing at the only place you could hit them?" He looked surprised and said "I don't know. I have always done it this way". I told him about the head snapping off and how the ragged shaft could have done some real damage. 

... I see this all the time and just don't understand why anyone would take a full swing right at people 10 feet away. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

There is a tremendous amount of ignorance in the world. I'm continually shocked by what people simply just don't know. I'm glad you spoke up and taught the person today something that may really save him some heartache in the future. I have seen this exact scenario many times resulting in everything from people bleeding to being covered in mud - all for something that literally makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Funny I should find this thread this morning.  While playing yesterday afternoon, I saw a guy take a fairway wood to the left chest.  One of those direct blows that hits with a "thud", pauses for a split second as if it's suspended in mid-air, before falling to the ground.  Guy hit the ground like he was shot with a gun.

It's important to note (I think) this is a day after the conclusion of The Invitational (club championship).  The rough was especially long and thick.  The guy was playing his second from the deep rough less than 100 yards from the tee box on a long par 5 where he topped his drive.  The other two guys in the group were standing directly in front and to the right of the guy swinging the club.  The ball came out dead left, traveling maybe 60 yards.  The club caught up in the thick rough.  The guy let go, I'm sure acting like the guys he sees on TV.  The rest should be self explanatory! 

Have never seen this...yet.  I hope I never do, but I'm glad you guys posted this.  Now I won't be completely shocked upon seeing such exceptional decision making.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Not sure why anyone would do that intentionally.  

My question is ... when you're taking a practice swing with a Driver in your hands, HOW do you take a divot??  I mean c'mon .... all of my practice swings (when I take them) are hovered over the ground.  I despise it when people take a hair piece out with their practice swing as well as their regular swing.  On par 3's especially.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Great time for a teaching moment though. You never know,next time he sees this happening, he might say something and so on. This is how safety and proper etiquette can exponentially grow in the golfer economy. Now if only you could have a teaching moment for those ball marks😲

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

Great time for a teaching moment though. You never know,next time he sees this happening, he might say something and so on. This is how safety and proper etiquette can exponentially grow in the golfer economy. Now if only you could have a teaching moment for those ball marks

You can. It’s contagious.

I played with a group of fellas last month, I started fixing random pitch marks.

Over the next set of holes they all joined in.

Everyone just needs someone to set a good example. Yes, some are too far gone to give a crap.

Another example I was out with my second youngest out and there was a group of HS kids on the hole over from me that were cussing like sailors. I said hey, how’d your mom feel if she heard you talking like that. They apologized, “sorry sir” and went on with their day.

Sometimes a little jab or course correction can make a difference.

Why would anyone even think of doing this.  Fist off don't you want to be practicing your swing at the target you should be aiming at....not to mention even the danger of it.   

Was he completely oblivious other golf protocol during the round as well, like where to stand while you're hitting/putting and fixing ball marks and repairing divots?

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

This is mind boggling to me - I can honestly say that I do not recall ever seeing anyone take a practice swing towards his or her playing partners.

Someone earlier mentioned taking a divot with driver, I’ve seen that and done it myself accidentally even though I intended to hover the club above the ground. It’s among the 100 or so reasons why I’d never be aiming at people while taking a practice swing. :)

You handled it perfectly Chisag and given any one of us the ideal way to do the same should we encounter it on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When I was a caddy we were taught that you always stand on the right side of the tee.  Ignoring the fact that a few lefties play the game, this puts everyone in the view of a right handed golfer so they don't have to be wondering if there is someone wandering around behind them while they are swinging.

I am trying to think of preshot routines that I have seen, and I can only think of swings down the target line or swings while facing the target, which would be right at a group standing on the left side of the tee (unless the swinger is back from the tees far enough).

Standing on the right should be out of the way for everyone, unless there is a lefty there to throw everything off. 

Now, if I was facing the target and there was a group on the left, I  would make sure to move somewhere so I am not laying sod on the front of their new golf outfits (that is an admission that I might on "super rare" occasions have a practice swing that might have missed a ball entirely).

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

4 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

When I was a caddy we were taught that you always stand on the right side of the tee.  Ignoring the fact that a few lefties play the game, this puts everyone in the view of a right handed golfer so they don't have to be wondering if there is someone wandering around behind them while they are swinging.

I am trying to think of preshot routines that I have seen, and I can only think of swings down the target line or swings while facing the target, which would be right at a group standing on the left side of the tee (unless the swinger is back from the tees far enough).

Standing on the right should be out of the way for everyone, unless there is a lefty there to throw everything off. 

Now, if I was facing the target and there was a group on the left, I  would make sure to move somewhere so I am not laying sod on the front of their new golf outfits (that is an admission that I might on "super rare" occasions have a practice swing that might have missed a ball entirely).

i have learned form friends of mine who are tour caddies, to always stand on the right of the person teeing off, or hitting from the fairway.  That way you also eliminate the possibility of being hit in their back swing should they either fall way off balance or step back to take another practice swing without knowing how close you are.  

... Since most people play from carts, both riding or push carts, 99.9% of the time they stand on the side of the tee box next to the cart path or the direction they approached the tee box. In a casual round, I don't think I can remember golfers leaving their carts and crossing the tee box to the other side while someone is teeing off. 

... And to those of you that have never experienced someone swinging at you standing on the left side, I am not talking about standing ON the tee box and someone a few feet away taking a practice swing right at you. I am talking about standing to the side of the tee box, usually on a slightly lower level as most tee boxes are raised or crowned a little. So 10-15 feet away, but still in the path of an inadvertent divot.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Since most people play from carts, both riding or push carts, 99.9% of the time they stand on the side of the tee box next to the cart path or the direction they approached the tee box. In a casual round, I don't think I can remember golfers leaving their carts and crossing the tee box to the other side while someone is teeing off. 

... And to those of you that have never experienced someone swinging at you standing on the left side, I am not talking about standing ON the tee box and someone a few feet away taking a practice swing right at you. I am talking about standing to the side of the tee box, usually on a slightly lower level as most tee boxes are raised or crowned a little. So 10-15 feet away, but still in the path of an inadvertent divot.

I'm finally a 1 percenter!!   I know what you're saying, and see that a lot.  But I always walk across to the right side, even if it's crossing the entire box.   It's just as natural as putting the tee in the ground for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 2:53 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

don't you want to be practicing your swing at the target you should be aiming at

I was going to ask the same rhetorical question. To me, the *only* logical direction to take your tee box practice swing towards your target .. eg. the rehearsal / visualization process. 

Aside from that, why you you ever swing *at* someone standing near you...??

Anyway, thanks Chisag for trying to make the [golf] world a safer place!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 8/19/2019 at 9:00 PM, Shankster said:

People are generally ignorant to safety, it’s very strange... I see it day in and day out. Makes me wonder how some folks make it through life without serious injuries.

And hence we have the Darwin Award.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg