2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

Our Sponsors

Early morning 18 hot and very HUMID.
Just discussing the G410 irons from this morning things are getting better. Long irons need a bit more play time but PW-6 iron are really coming along. Getting used to the extreme Lie Angle change and staring to get some surprising draw.
Irons feel great off the club face, even miss hit’s aren’t disastrous.
Range Friday. Bacon Boys have to get along without me for a day.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're here!  So lets look at this timeline for a second, I was fit on Sunday afternoon and the clubs were at my door tonight when I got home from my football game.  They were built, packaged and shi

Light through yonder window breaks.... 

Looking forward to doing my fitting for these. I've only had one iron fitting and it was for a set of single length irons in February in Rhode Island the day after an 18 inch snowstorm. It w

Posted Images

Went to the range today to do some comparison of my current and previous irons as a starting point for when the Pings arrive.

The contenders: Current set - Ben Hogan PTx and the Former set: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged

Here's what I saw based on nothing but eye ball evaluation of about 30 swings for each (7 and 8 irons)

Hogans: ball flight was a bit less consistent.  Solid strikes tended to start on or a little left of target line and curve left. Most landed left of the target line. Misses were a weak push or slightly thin

Mizunos: More consistent ball flight. Starting slightly right to online and staying mostly straight or slight draw. Solid strikes tended to draw more and land a bit left of target line. Same generic miss, slight push. 

At least to the eye, there was a slight distance edge to the Mizunos.

The difference: Mizunos were fully fitted. 1/2 inch longer than standard with standard lie, and midsize GolfPride MCC grips. I self ordered the Hogans without any fitting data. After using the demo program, I ordered standard length/lie and the mid-low loft profile and have the GP MCC Align +4 grips.

For reference again, the Pings were ordered at 3/4 inch longer than standard and 2 degrees upright (I think that's green dot now). The more upright setup may help out with that left miss tendency and the length hopefully gets more consistent strikes. We'll see when they get here.

If i were to base the choice on today alone, I'd probably lean toward going back to the Mizuno set. Giving a little more credence to the idea that fitting matters. Also thinking the mid-size grips help minimize what tends to be too much hand action in my swing so when the Pings do arrive, I may opt for mid-size grips to compare with.

• Like 1

Driver:  PXG 811x Gen1, HZRDS Smoke Yellow 60g S

Fariway:   :titelist-small: 917 F2, 3-Wood Fujikura Blue 

Hybrid:   :ping-small: G410 18*

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  EXO Rossie 34.5" (Tester) 

On 10/30/2019 at 3:39 PM, Rickp said:

Early morning 18 hot and very HUMID.
Just discussing the G410 irons from this morning things are getting better. Long irons need a bit more play time but PW-6 iron are really coming along. Getting used to the extreme Lie Angle change and staring to get some surprising draw.
Irons feel great off the club face, even miss hit’s aren’t disastrous.
Range Friday. Bacon Boys have to get along without me for a day.

Talk extreme lie angle changes.  At my TPI fitting I walked in hitting 3 degree upright clubs and at one point in the fitittng we were trying 1 degree flat 😱   That's extreme. Ha

We ended up in standard.   Still a pretty big change from 3 up.  But I am confident in it based on the results I saw. 

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Talk extreme lie angle changes.  At my TPI fitting I walked in hitting 3 degree upright clubs and at one point in the fitittng we were trying 1 degree flat   That's extreme. Ha
We ended up in standard.   Still a pretty big change from 3 up.  But I am confident in it based on the results I saw. 

I’m still not 100% sure I’m 2’ flat from 2’ up. I need more game & range time. Probably some where in between. Maybe I’ll end up standard also.
I’m getting fitted for Ping G410 driver Tuesday and while I’m there I’ll “borrow” the LM and hit a few Ping G410 irons.
Being old and retired can be fun
BTW, one of the guys was watching me and asking questions about the G410 irons and whadda know he ordered a set.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

10 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Talk extreme lie angle changes.  At my TPI fitting I walked in hitting 3 degree upright clubs and at one point in the fitittng we were trying 1 degree flat 😱   That's extreme. Ha

That is a huge change.  Have you made any swing changes since being fitted for the 3 up?  

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Played my first round today with the G410's.  I did not keep score because all of my distances were off.  It was 52 degrees with a 14mph wind.  Not ideal, but this time of year this will be the norm.   There were a few holes where the wind was at my back, a few where the wind was dead into my face and a lot of holes where it was more of a crosswind.  I will say the long irons are deadly!!!  This was the first time I really hit the long irons and they are everything you would want in a long iron.  Hole number 2 is a par 5, I hit a 3 wd off the tee which left me with 200 yards to the pin.  I hit 6 iron to about a foot!  Easiest eagle putt I think I've had, and YES, I made it!!!  I hit two 4 irons off the tee on hole 10 which is a dogleg left, 350 yards.  I hit the fairway both times, one was heeled, the other was pure!  The heel shot went 210 yards while the pure 4 iron was hit 223 yards into a slight breeze.  The heeled shot traveled pretty straight as well, really impressive.  The divots are shallow which is a switch for me.  I have a pretty steep swing so naturally I will take some turf but with these the turf interaction is nice.  More to come later.

IMG_0202.jpg

• Like 7

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

Had a rare “off Sunday” and spent the time practicing and getting to know new irons.
First taped up a couple irons and did some time in the net (Sunday is mat day and driving range). Forgot to take pix but ball marks were not perfect but darn close to middle of face.
Chipped with my 2 go 2 clubs, PW & 8 iron. I’m not used to the whippey feel with SR FLEX but results were good, not great. Took a little while but I’m liking these sticks.IMG_0311.JPG

• Like 7

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

That is a huge change.  Have you made any swing changes since being fitted for the 3 up?  

Good question Boss!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Shot tracer from 178 into the wind.  Used a 7 iron from here.  Shot tracer showed ball on the right side of green, actually the ball hit left side, pin high about 20 feet from hole.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Shot tracer from 178 into the wind.  Used a 7 iron from here.  Shot tracer showed ball on the right side of green, actually the ball hit left side, pin high about 20 feet from hole.  

Looks like a decent fall day.  How do these yardages compare to your current clubs?  I don't recall from your previous posts but do you have the standard or power spec lofts?  What system are you using to capture the video/shot tracer?  

• Like 1

First things first, fall golf is the best golf.

More importantly, how did you end up with the DG 120’s? Ball flight on your own admission is high but is it balloon high or moved with a purpose high?

Thanks for the great posts so far.
  • Like 2
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Looks like a decent fall day.  How do these yardages compare to your current clubs?  I don't recall from your previous posts but do you have the standard or power spec lofts?  What system are you using to capture the video/shot tracer?  

I have the power spec lofts, because the fitter wanted to try to bring my ball flight down a bit.  These clubs are definitely longer.  It was a cool and breezy day, I wonder what these clubs will do on a warm day.  I can imagine the numbers would only go up.  Not sure I want that.  It is funny you ask about the system I am using...it's my Iphone sitting on the edge of the golf cart.  My buddy couldn't play today so I had to improvise.  That is why it took so long from video start to hit the ball.  Sorry about that.   

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, bens197 said:

First things first, fall golf is the best golf.

More importantly, how did you end up with the DG 120’s? Ball flight on your own admission is high but is it balloon high or moved with a purpose high?

Thanks for the great posts so far.

I too love fall golf, however you can tell, my course is tree lined and one thing I hate is losing a ball in the fairway because of leaves.  I was fit into the DG 120's.  I like the feel of a heavy stiff iron.  I don't want to feel any load or flexing in the shaft.  I was put on the Mizuno Swing Optimizer and this was the number one shaft it recommended.  I tried a few others and this one felt the best.  

Now lets talk about ball flight.  With the lower irons 8-wedges I would say the ball flight is balloon high...for me.  I have a steep swing so getting the ball up has never been a problem.  I did hit a shot yesterday with a 9 iron into the wind and the ball looked as if it was coming back towards me.  I struck it solid but just couldn't get it to penetrate through the wind (first time hitting them on the course).  

The long irons (especially the 4 and 5) I absolutely LOVE the ball flight.  This flight was boring through the wind and the ball jumped off the face.  The flight with these two clubs was ideal.  Not too high and not too low.  Just the type where you can't help but smile as you watch it.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I have the power spec lofts, because the fitter wanted to try to bring my ball flight down a bit.  These clubs are definitely longer.  It was a cool and breezy day, I wonder what these clubs will do on a warm day.  I can imagine the numbers would only go up.  Not sure I want that.  It is funny you ask about the system I am using...it's my Iphone sitting on the edge of the golf cart.  My buddy couldn't play today so I had to improvise.  That is why it took so long from video start to hit the ball.  Sorry about that.   

Did your average ball height come down across all clubs - or more so on the low irons?  What iron from your current clubs would you have chosen for that same shot?  

I too love fall golf, however you can tell, my course is tree lined and one thing I hate is losing a ball in the fairway because of leaves.  I was fit into the DG 120's.  I like the feel of a heavy stiff iron.  I don't want to feel any load or flexing in the shaft.  I was put on the Mizuno Swing Optimizer and this was the number one shaft it recommended.  I tried a few others and this one felt the best.  
Now lets talk about ball flight.  With the lower irons 8-wedges I would say the ball flight is balloon high...for me.  I have a steep swing so getting the ball up has never been a problem.  I did hit a shot yesterday with a 9 iron into the wind and the ball looked as if it was coming back towards me.  I struck it solid but just couldn't get it to penetrate through the wind (first time hitting them on the course).  
The long irons (especially the 4 and 5) I absolutely LOVE the ball flight.  This flight was boring through the wind and the ball jumped off the face.  The flight with these two clubs was ideal.  Not too high and not too low.  Just the type where you can't help but smile as you watch it.  

I have the same tendency and hit the ball high as well. One thing I’ve kept constant for many years was I played a variation of the traditional DG shafts in either S300, S400 or X100.

I’d like to assume that this would be more like a Project X with a firmer feel top to bottom.
  • Love 1
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

44 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Did your average ball height come down across all clubs - or more so on the low irons?  What iron from your current clubs would you have chosen for that same shot?  

The ball flight came down, to where it was pleasing to me, in the 4, 5 and 6 irons only.  The 7-GW was sky high.  Now, that being said, my assistant pro loved the ball flight in the lower clubs for me.  I have just always liked seeing a mid ball flight and this could just be me not being used to seeing something hit so incredibly high.  As far as the shot with the 9 iron that seemed to come back towards me, I would have hit a punch 7 normally.  Admittedly so, I did not try to hit a knock down here.  This round I just wanted to hit full swings.  I did not want to try to hit anything fancy my first time out with them.  That will come the next round or two as I become more comfortable with them.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I have the same tendency and hit the ball high as well. One thing I’ve kept constant for many years was I played a variation of the traditional DG shafts in either S300, S400 or X100.

I’d like to assume that this would be more like a Project X with a firmer feel top to bottom.

I am in the DG 120 X100 shaft.  It swings like a board.  Very firm feel and low launching.  In my gammer irons, I am swinging the Nippon Modus 120X.  These are a bit softer and I think I like the feel of the DG better.  

• Like 3

I am in the DG 120 X100 shaft.  It swings like a board.  Very firm feel and low launching.  In my gammer irons, I am swinging the Nippon Modus 120X.  These are a bit softer and I think I like the feel of the DG better.  

I’ll always have an affinity for DG but it’s good to know how these perform for other golfers. I had no idea what to expect when installing a heavier and stouter shaft with a head designed to launch the ball high and straight.

Keep up the quality posts, it’s been fun to follow along.
  • Like 2
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I’ll always have an affinity for DG but it’s good to know how these perform for other golfers. I had no idea what to expect when installing a heavier and stouter shaft with a head designed to launch the ball high and straight.

Keep up the quality posts, it’s been fun to follow along.

I have not used them for a long time.  The last set of clubs I had, I was in KBS Tour c-taper and before those was a stock PING shaft.  I am really liking the feel of these though.  I would like to see how the shaft works in my Mizuno's.  I never thought I would be in an X for these so I never considered them.  I always ASSUMED that I should be in a stiff flex.  I went X in the Modus only because they are a but soft so an X in the Modus is like a stiff for everyone else.  

• Like 1

I’m liking these irons and the new specs a lot more. Had a decent iron outing on 9 this morning. The SR shafts are the correct one for me, hate to admit it. Height is acceptable on good strikes and on a couple of shots crazy long.
Tomorrow should get a few shots on a LM.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead