Jump to content
GolfSpy Stroker

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Tried to get a lesson booked but nothing available for next few weeks with the Snowbird Flock in full form

LOL.  The local Yumans have a love/hate snowbird relationship 🤣.

 

35 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Maybe the Lie angle needs adjusting on the longer irons?

Please use your strike tape/decals in the test and share the results.  If I recall correctly, you had a pretty big switch in your heritage lie and if you only hit the 7i during your fitting... hmmm? 🤔  It would be great to see side by side tape/strike tests between these and your other clubs on your 4, 5, 6, and 7i.  I love handing out homework assignments; must be leftover from my Air Force Flight Engineer instructor days 😄.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

from my Air Force Flight Engineer instructor days

Coming from the perspective of 4000+ hours of tanker pilot time, that explains an awful lot 😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Please use your strike tape/decals in the test and share the results.  If I recall correctly, you had a pretty big switch in your heritage lie and if you only hit the 7i during your fitting... hmmm?   It would be great to see side by side tape/strike tests between these and your other clubs on your 4, 5, 6, and 7i.  I love handing out homework assignments; must be leftover from my Air Force Flight Engineer instructor days .

Yup, 4’ Lie change. It is possible that it works OK on short irons and not as much on longer irons?
I’m counting the days until the Birds go back north


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent some quality time on the range this morning with the irons. Once I got the feel of the setup, one small adjustment to the takeaway and transition, and it was bombs away right down the line.

I did finally see a couple of VERY high ball flight shots. But heck, I'll take the very high part if it is down the target line and on the yardage.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Please use your strike tape/decals in the test and share the results.  If I recall correctly, you had a pretty big switch in your heritage lie and if you only hit the 7i during your fitting... hmmm?   It would be great to see side by side tape/strike tests between these and your other clubs on your 4, 5, 6, and 7i.  I love handing out homework assignments; must be leftover from my Air Force Flight Engineer instructor days .

Homework assignment maybe later this week.
OOPS, Seems I forgot this is our 52nd Wedding Anniversary Weekend. Luckily one of my daughters alerted me Friday night so I’ll live another day.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Homework assignment maybe later this week.
OOPS, Seems I forgot this is our 52nd Wedding Anniversary Weekend. Luckily one of my daughters alerted me Friday night so I’ll live another day.
Happy Anniversary!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sounds like you better get your daughter something really nice too for helping you out!  Happy anniversary! 

In the works!

She was always my favorite

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2019 at 11:50 AM, Rickp said:


Homework assignment maybe later this week.
OOPS, Seems I forgot this is our 52nd Wedding Anniversary Weekend. Luckily one of my daughters alerted me Friday night so I’ll live another day.

52 years is solid work! Congratulations! I am continually surprised mine has put with me for 35

🥂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tee Time 43’ but no wind I still wore shorts, everyone else wore pants. Ole Sissy’s!
Shot an interesting 41, 1 bird, 1 double and was never in any trouble.
G410 irons were happy and working well. 6 iron was behaving well. Best iron outing I’ve had since my shoulder operation.
It looks like everything is coming together.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 years is solid work! Congratulations! I am continually surprised mine has put with me for 35
🥂

Congrats on 35 that’s no small feat


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a lesson on Monday trying to focus in on making sure my setup and swing were adjusted to the new irons (2.5* more upright than their predecessors). Got out on the course after that and did alright. 

Then yesterday happened. Keeping in mind played on a shorter course (about 6,100 yds) without a ton of trouble to find unless you are truly errant. Here's the stats - FIR: 10/14, GIR: 8/18, Putts: 26, Final Round Total: 80

Comparing that to my last 10 round average that's +5 on FIR, +3 GIR, and -5 putts. I'll give credit to my last two lessons for the FIR improvement and I'm going to let the G410s share credit for the bump in GIR.

Observations on the G410 performance: Ball flight is still more or less normal for me. Distance wise, the ends of the set are not too far off from the previous set 4i is still about 190. The middle of the set so far I see more distance gained where 6,7,8 are almost a club longer. Then the distance gain drops again at the low end, 9i only about 1/2 club, no change at W (PW in other sets) and actually a little shorter at the U (GW). I dd also notice a little less work-ability on intended draw shots (i struggle trying to fade on purpose) and only saw the big hook miss when I knew I truly put a poor swing on it.

If keeping the G410s in the bag leads to more rounds with 12 holes at par or better they are probably going to be around for a while 😃

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Had a lesson on Monday trying to focus in on making sure my setup and swing were adjusted to the new irons (2.5* more upright than their predecessors). Got out on the course after that and did alright. 

Then yesterday happened. Keeping in mind played on a shorter course (about 6,100 yds) without a ton of trouble to find unless you are truly errant. Here's the stats - FIR: 10/14, GIR: 8/18, Putts: 26, Final Round Total: 80

Comparing that to my last 10 round average that's +5 on FIR, +3 GIR, and -5 putts. I'll give credit to my last two lessons for the FIR improvement and I'm going to let the G410s share credit for the bump in GIR.

Observations on the G410 performance: Ball flight is still more or less normal for me. Distance wise, the ends of the set are not too far off from the previous set 4i is still about 190. The middle of the set so far I see more distance gained where 6,7,8 are almost a club longer. Then the distance gain drops again at the low end, 9i only about 1/2 club, no change at W (PW in other sets) and actually a little shorter at the U (GW). I dd also notice a little less work-ability on intended draw shots (i struggle trying to fade on purpose) and only saw the big hook miss when I knew I truly put a poor swing on it.

If keeping the G410s in the bag leads to more rounds with 12 holes at par or better they are probably going to be around for a while 😃

Have you paid attention to your typical strike zone/pattern on all irons?  I am finding that mine drifts towards toe on 4 and 5 but really close to center on the rest.  Not sure if my fitters last minute decision to go with +1 length (PE2's were +1/2) is responsible but I'm liking the results.  It's always nice knowing that your making contact where the designers intended you too.

I'm asking because my experience has been that my average distance increases from about 1/2 club (high end) to roughly +1.5 club on the low end (though keep in mind we're comparing to 30 year old clubs). Both the 4 and 5 seem to have the biggest range and I'm pretty sure its strike zone related.  A center flush 4i 205-215 and the slightly toward toe 190-200.  Similar gap on 5i.  What is great is that the off center strikes are still pretty forgiving on dispersion... just give up the yardage.  This is what PING (and others) advertise with this category club 🤗.

I have yet to spend much range time trying to move the ball left and right.  My natural fade ball flight is less with these irons than my PE2's - these simply hit straighter.  On a few get out of jail punch shots, I have been able to produce a slight draw, but I really don't attempt many shots (have need to) while on the course.  I think as part of this official and my unofficial review of this club, I'll spend some time seeing whether I can produce draws and fades with these sticks.

Nice round btw !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Have you paid attention to your typical strike zone/pattern on all irons?  I am finding that mine drifts towards toe on 4 and 5 but really close to center on the rest.  Not sure if my fitters last minute decision to go with +1 length (PE2's were +1/2) is responsible but I'm liking the results.  It's always nice knowing that your making contact where the designers intended you too.

Strike pattern with the Hogans (standard length) was center with misses tending toward the heel. With the G410s so far it has been more center to toe. 

I have also noticed a little bit less than the normal draw to a nearly straight ball flight. 

I was a little surprised with my fitter's recommendation on the length as well. My last fitted set (Mizuno JPX850) was +1/2", these are at +3/4". 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also noticed on off-center strikes only a small loss of distance and less curve to the ball flight. It has given me a miss tendency of the hanger out to the right rather than the over-hook.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

Strike pattern with the Hogans (standard length) was center with misses tending toward the heel. With the G410s so far it has been more center to toe. 

I have also noticed a little bit less than the normal draw to a nearly straight ball flight. 

I was a little surprised with my fitter's recommendation on the length as well. My last fitted set (Mizuno JPX850) was +1/2", these are at +3/4". 

I wonder if added length is a trend with these clubs and the AWT shafts?  My fitter did suggest that the +1 length may very well have been the better set-up on my PE2's as well.  We almost went with +3/4 to "split the difference", but he didn't have that length to test, so I went with what we had numbers on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

Also noticed on off-center strikes only a small loss of distance and less curve to the ball flight. It has given me a miss tendency of the hanger out to the right rather than the over-hook.

Not sure about you, but I'll take the latter ball flight 😉.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Strike pattern with the Hogans (standard length) was center with misses tending toward the heel. With the G410s so far it has been more center to toe. 
I have also noticed a little bit less than the normal draw to a nearly straight ball flight. 
I was a little surprised with my fitter's recommendation on the length as well. My last fitted set (Mizuno JPX850) was +1/2", these are at +3/4". 

I think we’re all getting used to the fact that our previous setups were a lot different than what the G410 are.
My miss hits are still straight but a lot shorter.

5, 6 irons are a bit longer, slightly more height with a nice fade. 7 thru Gap bit more height and maybe 3-5 yards longer, dead straight.
Only test I want to do is head to head with previous irons.
The G410’s aren’t going anywhere for a while.



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rickp said:


I think we’re all getting used to the fact that our previous setups were a lot different than what the G410 are.
My miss hits are still straight but a lot shorter.

5, 6 irons are a bit longer, slightly more height with a nice fade. 7 thru Gap bit more height and maybe 3-5 yards longer, dead straight.
Only test I want to do is head to head with previous irons.
The G410’s aren’t going anywhere for a while.



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I agree... they are as advertised!  PING has produced a winner in the GI category 👏👍🤗.  They will only get less play if I'm able to find a forged blade and shaft set-up (preferably graphite) that competes as well and yields more "on demand" left and right ball flight.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...