Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What gives?

Shankster

As you all know. I love the wedge game... but I think it costs me the rest of my game.

Case in point: today I was hitting some 56° out in the yard, aiming for a 100 yard target. Initial swing was a no wrist break pitch shot. Ended up around 75 yards. Next was maybe 80.

Messing around with wedges all the time and the hold off release is messing me up and it took me this long to realize it! A long break of NGAF (think I might have made up and acronym there) about golf is all it took to open my eyes to how bad I suck at anything that covers vast yardages.

To the course I must to go. —-> Shankyoda

Just work on regular pitch shots - nothing fancy, just pitch the ball to a target from 40 yards for a while a couple of days. It’s beneficial for your full game and short game.

Then practice random distances from random lies but again nothing fancy. The fancier one of us tries to get, the more variables we introduce, throw in that the course we play are not consistent like the ones that guys on tour play and it’s a prescription for disaster to try all of those short game shots

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 hours ago, revkev said:

Just work on regular pitch shots - nothing fancy, just pitch the ball to a target from 40 yards for a while a couple of days. It’s beneficial for your full game and short game.

Then practice random distances from random lies but again nothing fancy. The fancier one of us tries to get, the more variables we introduce, throw in that the course we play are not consistent like the ones that guys on tour play and it’s a prescription for disaster to try all of those short game shots

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Totally agree.  I have about 20 yards to pitch in my back yard, and even these shots will help with consistent contact throughout the bag.  Before a round, hit some 20-40 yard pitches, especially if you don't have time for the range.  Most of the time I only go to the range when I take my kids, and the focus is on helping them.

Last time I hit balls on the range before a round was before a city tournament last year, my first individual tournament in years, and had my worst round of the year! The next day of the tournament, went back to my normal pitching routine, and had the 2nd lowest score that day.

I realize much of this is personal, but I've never been a range rat and usually don't like hitting balls before I play.  My ideal lunch break practice is 30-40 minutes pitching/chipping from various lies, and 10-15 minutes putting.  If I have 30 minutes before the round, it would be 10-15 orange whip swings, some light stretching, 10-15 minutes pitching, maybe 5 minutes putting. A few lags to get speed and make a few short ones, then relax/banter for 5-10 minutes to get my mind ready to play.

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth