Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Stability Shaft Installation and Review

dlow206

My Stability shaft is coming tomorrow. I will be self-installing and show the installation process in this thread and doing a review. Also happy to answer any questions about installation.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Received my Stability shaft today. When you order a Stability shaft for self-install, you get two components, the shaft itself (will refer to it as the "tube" in this post) and a shaft tip. The shaft tip is for a straight in install.

IMG_7055.JPG.84afc4c62df13542a37106517101640f.JPG

IMG_7056.JPG.fec4db7ad4951a0c5ebb6a71bf757fb4.JPG

I have a Scotty Cameron Squareback with a double bend, so you cut the existing shaft in the putter 8.25" from the top of the putter. Below is the putter head with the shaft stub

IMG_7053.JPG.677916f56bdeb43f5c35a4da235b2f01.JPG

After that, you dry fit and mark off how much of the tip from the shaft goes into the Stability shaft and then prep the tip.

IMG_7059.JPG.f3701b09677e5d2592f82921e4f150b0.JPG

Mix up the epoxy and apply to the shaft and inside the shaft tube.

IMG_7060.JPG.0c0e52b138854d5588fb7c314fb5ed24.JPG

Put it together and let it cure.

IMG_7062.JPG.7f1943a9735847542e67aebe17502235.JPG

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

Stability shaft ready to go for Sunday

266A2977-1510-4200-AB36-FA314CBC9BCA.JPEG.9f00d6a99c06f3db1381664d935030e9.JPEG

Updated 07/15/2022

Played today for the first time with the Stability shaft. Putting seemed to be better, but I didn't track putting stats today. Distance control seemed better and had some close ones on longer putts.

Updated 07/15/2022

Did you use a counter weighted grip before? I've tinkered quite a bit with the weighting in my putter which is why I have held off on trying out the stability shaft.

9* Epic Max LS 9* ADDI 6X

3W F9 ADDI 7X / 2i MP20 HMB AD DI 85S

3-PW MP20 Mixed (3,4 HMB; 5-PW MCC) KBS $Taper

50, 54, 58 RTX4

New putter each round until I stop sucking

Srixon Zstar Yellow

Did you use a counter weighted grip before? I've tinkered quite a bit with the weighting in my putter which is why I have held off on trying out the stability shaft.

Why would the stability shaft impact your ability to play with weighting?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Why would the stability shaft impact your ability to play with weighting?

It wouldn't but I was wondering how it would affect the weighting. Ie. if I have it balanced how I like it now, would the stability shaft change it?

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

6 minutes ago, ObsessiveIndecisive said:

It wouldn't but I was wondering how it would affect the weighting. Ie. if I have it balanced how I like it now, would the stability shaft change it?

I use the Sense S1 grip, which provides a lot of tinkerability in terms of counterweighting, not just weight but ability to move it up and down the shaft. Had it on the prior shaft and now have it on the Stability shaft.

Updated 07/15/2022

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I use the Sense S1 grip, which provides a lot of tinkerability in terms of counterweighting, not just weight but ability to move it up and down the shaft. Had it on the prior shaft and now have it on the Stability shaft.

Wow I've never heard of that grip, very interesting...how do you like the square shape? 

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

Just now, ObsessiveIndecisive said:

Wow I've never heard of that grip, very interesting...how do you like the square shape? 

I like the square shape a lot. The grip is much smaller than I am used to. I used to use the mid-size or jumbo type putter grips. The square sense grip is tiny in comparison.

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I like the square shape a lot. The grip is much smaller than I am used to. I used to use the mid-size or jumbo type putter grips. The square sense grip is tiny in comparison.

Oh interesting. I am on my 4th different grip this season but they've all been oversized. Did the internal weighting help keep the putter stable and avoid breaking your wrists even though the putter is slimmer?

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

Based on the website the answer is yes and maybe. The stability and stability tour have different balance points and different weights than steel.

If you have the putter setup the way you like, why change?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Based on the website the answer is yes and maybe. The stability and stability tour have different balance points and different weights than steel.

If you have the putter setup the way you like, why change?

Well, I like it and it is the best I have putt but I am still not a great putter.

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

Well, I like it and it is the best I have putt but I am still not a great putter.

Why don’t you think you are a good putter? What do you think a stability shaft will help you with? You discussed how you got the putter to a particular weight, but if you are not a great putter why not change the weight? How are you assessing your putting?

Why don’t you think you are a good putter? What do you think a stability shaft will help you with? You discussed how you got the putter to a particular weight, but if you are not a great putter why not change the weight? How are you assessing your putting?

I'd say statically, I am not a good putter (ie. number of putts per round). This offseason I worked quite a bit on my putting and trying to identify what causes some of my issues and how weighting can help. Again, based on number of putts, I have improved but I am still average at best but I think with the putters I have, my current setup is the best I have found.

Other ways I assess my putting is consistency in my stroke. Since I am working from home, multiple times a day I will take a few strokes and try to assess it. Am I making a loop ion transition? Are my wrists breaking? Is my pace consistent? I used that info while playing around with weighting to settle on my current setup (34" Newport 3 with 10 extra grams in the head, 30g extra in the grip).

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

I'd say statically, I am not a good putter (ie. number of putts per round). This offseason I worked quite a bit on my putting and trying to identify what causes some of my issues and how weighting can help. Again, based on number of putts, I have improved but I am still average at best but I think with the putters I have, my current setup is the best I have found.
Other ways I assess my putting is consistency in my stroke. Since I am working from home, multiple times a day I will take a few strokes and try to assess it. Am I making a loop ion transition? Are my wrists breaking? Is my pace consistent? I used that info while playing around with weighting to settle on my current setup (34" Newport 3 with 10 extra grams in the head, 30g extra in the grip).

Number of putts by itself is meaningless. If I have 36 putts per round is that good or bad?

Adding more perspective, If you hit 18 greens in regulation would you be happy with 36 putts?

Assess the basic skills. Can you start the ball on your intended line no matter how far you are trying to hit the ball? Can you control distance? Do you miss putts inside 3’?

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Number of putts by itself is meaningless. If I have 36 putts per round is that good or bad?

Adding more perspective, If you hit 18 greens in regulation would you be happy with 36 putts?

Assess the basic skills. Can you start the ball on your intended line no matter how far you are trying to hit the ball? Can you control distance? Do you miss putts inside 3’?

I disagree about # of putts being meaningless. I mostly play the same course every week so on a day that I have 30 putts vs 36, it can telling of my round. Obviously, as you mention, I have to account for whether I am hitting GIR but leaving myself 50' putts vs missing the green and chipping it to within 15', but I do think it is still helpful as a baseline stat.

Agreed about the basic skills. Part of my daily routine is working on straight 6' putts rolling down a chalk line. Am I starting it on the right line? Is it moving left/right? Am I blowing it over hole etc. Distance control is always an issue for me since I only have a 10' putting mat to work with and my course doesn't have much of a practice area.

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

I disagree about # of putts being meaningless. I mostly play the same course every week so on a day that I have 30 putts vs 36, it can telling of my round. Obviously, as you mention, I have to account for whether I am hitting GIR but leaving myself 50' putts vs missing the green and chipping it to within 15', but I do think it is still helpful as a baseline stat.
Agreed about the basic skills. Part of my daily routine is working on straight 6' putts rolling down a chalk line. Am I starting it on the right line? Is it moving left/right? Am I blowing it over hole etc. Distance control is always an issue for me since I only have a 10' putting mat to work with and my course doesn't have much of a practice area.

So what is wrong with your putting? What make you not good?

So what is wrong with your putting? What make you not good?

Inconsistent. I miss short putts, I miss long putts, I pull some putts, and my lag putting is pretty bad. I'd say if you put me next to a slightly above average 8-14 handicap, I would perform worse across the board with a putter.

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

Inconsistent. I miss short putts, I miss long putts, I pull some putts, and my lag putting is pretty bad. I'd say if you put me next to a slightly above average 8-14 handicap, I would perform worse across the board with a putter.

Need more details. Consistent miss direction? You miss 2’ putts?
We all miss long putts, how many do you expect to make?

Sounds like you need to work on startline. You said you roll the ball down a chalk line. How successful are you? How long is the line on you 6’ practice.

Practice lag putting. Do ladder drills. Are you missing the center of the face? Are you using stroke length to control distance?

23 hours ago, ObsessiveIndecisive said:

I disagree about # of putts being meaningless. I mostly play the same course every week so on a day that I have 30 putts vs 36, it can telling of my round.

Like you, I play the same course every week. In general, when I hit more greens, I end up closer to 2 putts/hole because I am rarely all that close to the pin on approach. When I'm missing greens, I tend to be closer to 1.4 or 1.5 putts/hole because I will invariably end up with a few 1 putts due to getting chips close. I would gladly take a 2.0 average if I hit every GIR since that means I'd be at even par. If I just miss every green in regulation and end up with 1.4 putts per hole, my score is +4 for 9 holes. In which circumstance did I putt better? The number of putts doesn't tell me, but I'd take even par any day. I think that is what @cnosil is getting at with number of putts being meaningless.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

20 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Like you, I play the same course every week. In general, when I hit more greens, I end up closer to 2 putts/hole because I am rarely all that close to the pin on approach. When I'm missing greens, I tend to be closer to 1.4 or 1.5 putts/hole because I will invariably end up with a few 1 putts due to getting chips close. I would gladly take a 2.0 average if I hit every GIR since that means I'd be at even par. If I just miss every green in regulation and end up with 1.4 putts per hole, my score is +4 for 9 holes. In which circumstance did I putt better? The number of putts doesn't tell me, but I'd take even par any day. I think that is what @cnosil is getting at with number of putts being meaningless.

Yeah I get that and from a quick glance, that is very accurate. I think I generally see that if I hit more greens, I will have 5ish 3 putts. If I am missing greens, I am still mostly 2 putting with a few 3 putts. I think I need to get better from the 10-20' range. I don't expect to make it, but I need to be close to tap in range. Then I need to become automatic from inside 3'.

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

The stability shaft really started to shine for me yesterday on my lag putting. Almost holed some really long putts including just missing a 69 footer. Need to work on slightly better distance control, was hitting my putts just a little too hard. Was lipping out some of my longer putts.

My short putting sucks right now, but its not the fault of the stability shaft. I think its an eye issue. When my ball is lined up straight based on my alignment marks on the ball, my eye sees the ball as lined up too far left of the hole (when its not in reality). So i compensate mid-stroke and push the ball. Only happens on shorter putts though. On longer lag putts, I am far away enough that I just hit the ball based on where I am lined up.

Updated 07/15/2022

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

My short putting sucks right now, but its not the fault of the stability shaft. I think its an eye issue. When my ball is lined up straight based on my alignment marks on the ball, my eye sees the ball as lined up too far left of the hole (when its not in reality). So i compensate mid-stroke and push the ball. Only happens on shorter putts though. On longer lag putts, I am far away enough that I just hit the ball based on where I am lined up.

This is called parallax.   to fix this you will need to adjust something in your setup.  Your statement about compensation is why adjusting your stance is the preferred fix.  It is possible to tell yourself that it is right,  but your subconscious  often overrides. 

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This is called parallax.   to fix this you will need to adjust something in your setup.  Your statement about compensation is why adjusting your stance is the preferred fix.  It is possible to tell yourself that it is right,  but your subconscious  often overrides. 

So in this case you should trust the line instead of your eyes? I'm wondering because it happens to me as well, but usually feels like I'm aimed too far right

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

23 minutes ago, yungkory said:

So in this case you should trust the line instead of your eyes? I'm wondering because it happens to me as well, but usually feels like I'm aimed too far right

Here is a question to help you decide.  I am assuming that you established/setup the line you did it from behind the ball.  Basically looking straight down the line you saw it as pointing on your intended line (for a putt with no break that would be center of the hole)?   If so,  why would it change when you move into your stance?  The line didn't move and is still where you want it to go.  Unfortunately,  when you setup you see it pointing right so sometimes your mind overrides and pulls it left.  Are you able to accept that the line is correct even though you don't see it that way at address?

Happened to me as well,  I changed my setup to make it look correct. 

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Here is a question to help you decide.  I am assuming that you established/setup the line you did it from behind the ball.  Basically looking straight down the line you saw it as pointing on your intended line (for a putt with no break that would be center of the hole)?   If so,  why would it change when you move into your stance?  The line didn't move and is still where you want it to go.  Unfortunately,  when you setup you see it pointing right so sometimes your mind overrides and pulls it left.  Are you able to accept that the line is correct even though you don't see it that way at address?

Happened to me as well,  I changed my setup to make it look correct. 

I was trying to read about stance changes about this topic but got overwhelmed by the information. What are the stance changes to try for this? I know it will take some experimentation, but need a starting point to try.

Updated 07/15/2022

20 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I was trying to read about stance changes about this topic but got overwhelmed by the information. What are the stance changes to try for this? I know it will take some experimentation, but need a starting point to try.

This video is a pretty basic explanation on what I am talking about and how to adjust to make the line look right.   My putting instructor started our process by establishing setup based on vision.