Our Sponsors

7 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

One thing that I'm wondering is when to choose the 5w over the 3w. 

How do you make this decision? Is there a situation when you only/usually choose one over the other? Has your 3w become irrelevant?

Good question, I choose the 5w off the tee if there are fairway bunkers or a dogleg within reach of my 3w.  My course has very specific landing areas off the tee boxes where I would use the 5w.  Wind also plays a part in my decision making and how tight the fairway is.  I hit the 5w dead straight, the 3w I tend to hit a small cut.  I don't use the 3w too often though on my home course.  I do use the 3w on two holes religiously, none being a par 5 (ours are pretty short or too risky).  When I play courses in the area, I will use it more to reach par 5's in two. 

I will also say, I find the 5w easier to hit than my 3w.  Off the deck, my ball flight with the 3w is waaaay more piercing as it should be, the 5w climbs quickly and lands softly, so if it's windy I have to take into consideration the direction and may choose the 3 wood to keep the ball lower if the wind is in my face and visa versa if the wind is at my back.   So is the 3w becoming irrelevant, maybe a little, however I still use it and love the feeling of smashing one with it. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

I'll offer a completely contrary option.  How are the gaps in your wedges?  I've made a conscious choice to have about 10 yard gaps in my shorter clubs, even though it means I have around a 20 yard gap between 180 and 200 yards.  I find that I have a lot more 90 or 100 or 110 yard shots than I do 190 yard shots.  So your best choice could be to leave the long end of your bag as is, and fill in a gap at the short end.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have a 5W and a 3H that I rotate from time to time.

The 3H has higher flight and more stopping power, but my mishits are way right.

The 5W is a little longer and lower flight and the mishits are the typical FW flaws... topping, wormburners, etc...

I choose them based on how my swing (3W vs irons) is that week and only use them when strictly necessary. I think these 2 are the least used in my bag.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'll offer a completely contrary option.  How are the gaps in your wedges?  I've made a conscious choice to have about 10 yard gaps in my shorter clubs, even though it means I have around a 20 yard gap between 180 and 200 yards.  I find that I have a lot more 90 or 100 or 110 yard shots than I do 190 yard shots.  So your best choice could be to leave the long end of your bag as is, and fill in a gap at the short end.

I think this is a key observation although I am going to one up it.  First, you need to know whether or not you have more shots from 90-110 in a round or 180-200 and what is your relative success rate with those shots. 

Next you need to know if your gapping is really messed up at either end or any where else.  That's easily determined with a tracking system like ARCOSS or shot scope - if there's a gapping issue it surfaces pretty quickly there.  If you really wanted to get thorough you could include a Launch Monitor session to verify the gapping (it could be that you actually carry 3 hybrid, 5 wood and 3 wood the same distance and 3 wood only seems longer because you've been getting a lot of run out when using it.)

Don't assume that because some other guy is using 3 wood, 5 wood, 4 hybrid that it's the right combo for you.  There may be a lot of differences between you in swing characteristics. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

On 7/27/2020 at 5:21 PM, Zeebedy said:

Hey guys,

I currently have my 10.5 driver + 3 wood + #4 hybrid. Now do I keep that setup and add a #3 hybrid, or, get a 5 wood and remove the hybrids?

any response quickly would be much appreciated so I. An pull the trigger ordering either way.

oh, and my irons (when they arrive) are 5-PW

I tried the PING hybrids and they just didn't work well for me.  I tested them on pool table short grass and in rough; mediocre off the fairway and worse out of the thick stuff. My fairway woods are very reliable, and having confidence in whatever you're hitting is HUGE. Which of the clubs you list do you like best and feel most confident with?  The answer may be the answer.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I'm a fan of whatever works best for you. For instance, my 4 iron and my 7 wood go about the same distance, but the 4 iron trajectory is much lower. I used to think I should take one of them out of the bag. I do the sometimes if I walk and carry my bag, but I prefer having both so when I ride they're both in the bag. 

• Like 1

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

I have spent a long time looking for that perfect 4 iron replacement.  So far, no luck.  I just ordered a Cobra 7/8 wood.  Fingers crossed.🤞

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood and 7/8 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW (Mizuno HMB's when I'm feeling sporty)

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser