Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Apex vs. Apex Pros... Similarities and Differences

GolfDuck

I am in the process of searching for a set of Callaway Apex 19 irons with Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shafts. They are difficult to find, and I have thought about considering and have been offered an Apex 19 Combo set (4-7 are Apex 19s and 8-AW are Apex Pro 19s) with that shaft. I have hit the Apex 19s and am very comfortable in getting these, but I have not had the chance to hit the Apex Pro, so I am very hesitant. My main question is for those who have hit both or have a combo set, what are the similarities and differences? How much harder are the Pros to hit? Is the technology in each similar enough so they go similar and consistent distances and ball flights? Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!  

Driver - 10* SMT Nemesis

# Metal - Orlimar 13* 

Hybrids - Wishon 

Irons - Srixon I-302s

Putter - Odyssey Two-Ball 

Balls - Snell MTB Black & MTB-X, Bridgestone BX 

I played the combo set for a brief period of time earlier this year and ultimately went back to Titleist because of the dispersion and distance control.

The Apex's have a larger face and the flash cup technology so when you pair that with an Apex Pro 8 iron with adjusted lofts but no flash cup, it does lead to a distance issue from time to time between your 7 and 8. 

Here's a real world example, my home course has two par 3's on the front:

#2 - 172 yards slightly uphill (about 10 feet), with a small green and helping wind. 

#6 - 181 yards drastic uphill (35 feet) with a narrow, long green and wind always in your face.

The Apex Pro 8 iron was always my go to on number 2 and the Apex 7 iron was my go to on number 6. 

Here is my stats when using the combo set: 

2 - GIR 70%

6 - GIR 25% 

Here is my stats after switching back to my T-100s

2 - 72%

6 - 76%

Not trying to sway you in any way towards a different club. Just using my own experience to show you what can happen with that 7 iron being different. That 7 iron could literally range from 160 to 200 for me. I never had that problem with the 8 through AW Apex Pro's though. 

If you could find them all as being Apex then I think you would see less discrepancy in your numbers.

Also, make sure it was a true Apex Combo set from Callaway and not one that was mixed and matched after the fact because the lofts would be jacked up, which is what may have happened with mine. For reference, when simply buying Apex Pro's the loft on an 8 iron is 37 Degrees, but with the combo set, it is 35 degrees. Hope this helps and happy hunting, bro. 

:titelist-small: TSr3 8* w/ Ventus Black 6X

:titelist-small: TSr3 15* w/ Ventus Black 7X

:ping-small: iCrossover 18* w/ Ventus Black 9X

:titelist-small: T100S 4 Iron - PW w/ Ventus Axiom 125X

:vokey-small: SM9 50 F-grind / 54 F-grind / 58 V-grind w/ True Temper Gold Onyx Tour S400

:scotty-cameron-1: Circle T Newport 35 Inch

:titelist-small: Pro V1

Vessel Player III DXR Stand Bag

2 hours ago, WildcatGolf said:

I played the combo set for a brief period of time earlier this year and ultimately went back to Titleist because of the dispersion and distance control.

The Apex's have a larger face and the flash cup technology so when you pair that with an Apex Pro 8 iron with adjusted lofts but no flash cup, it does lead to a distance issue from time to time between your 7 and 8. 

Here's a real world example, my home course has two par 3's on the front:

#2 - 172 yards slightly uphill (about 10 feet), with a small green and helping wind. 

#6 - 181 yards drastic uphill (35 feet) with a narrow, long green and wind always in your face.

The Apex Pro 8 iron was always my go to on number 2 and the Apex 7 iron was my go to on number 6. 

Here is my stats when using the combo set: 

2 - GIR 70%

6 - GIR 25% 

Here is my stats after switching back to my T-100s

2 - 72%

6 - 76%

Not trying to sway you in any way towards a different club. Just using my own experience to show you what can happen with that 7 iron being different. That 7 iron could literally range from 160 to 200 for me. I never had that problem with the 8 through AW Apex Pro's though. 

If you could find them all as being Apex then I think you would see less discrepancy in your numbers.

Also, make sure it was a true Apex Combo set from Callaway and not one that was mixed and matched after the fact because the lofts would be jacked up, which is what may have happened with mine. For reference, when simply buying Apex Pro's the loft on an 8 iron is 37 Degrees, but with the combo set, it is 35 degrees. Hope this helps and happy hunting, bro. 

Thank you very much for this info WildCatGolf! Your experience is exactly what I fear and do not want to happen. That is why I have already decided that if I get the Apex's it will be all the 19s, no combo set.

Driver - 10* SMT Nemesis

# Metal - Orlimar 13* 

Hybrids - Wishon 

Irons - Srixon I-302s

Putter - Odyssey Two-Ball 

Balls - Snell MTB Black & MTB-X, Bridgestone BX 

On 9/24/2020 at 1:07 PM, GolfDuck said:

Thank you very much for this info WildCatGolf! Your experience is exactly what I fear and do not want to happen. That is why I have already decided that if I get the Apex's it will be all the 19s, no combo set.

That's great to hear, Glad I could help! 

:titelist-small: TSr3 8* w/ Ventus Black 6X

:titelist-small: TSr3 15* w/ Ventus Black 7X

:ping-small: iCrossover 18* w/ Ventus Black 9X

:titelist-small: T100S 4 Iron - PW w/ Ventus Axiom 125X

:vokey-small: SM9 50 F-grind / 54 F-grind / 58 V-grind w/ True Temper Gold Onyx Tour S400

:scotty-cameron-1: Circle T Newport 35 Inch

:titelist-small: Pro V1

Vessel Player III DXR Stand Bag