Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Introducing Cleveland Golfs New RTX Full Face Wedges

Golfspy_CG2

INTRODUCING THE NEW RTX FULL-FACE

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. – June 1, 2021 – Cleveland Golf, one of the industry leaders in wedge design and innovation, is proud to announce the RTX Full-Face wedge. The all-new RTX Full-Face wedge officially launches in North America on June 11, 2021.

RTX Full-Face brings full-face grooves to the flagship RTX model. This new wedge model delivers maximum short game versatility for the most demanding short game shots.

"The new RTX Full-Face maintains the traditional and striking clean look that golfers have come to expect from a Cleveland wedge, all while adding shotmaking creativity with grooves across the entire face,” said Ryan Polanco, General Manager at Cleveland Golf. “It’s the perfect complement to the classic RTX ZipCore and delivers exceptional versatility around the greens.”

The foundation of RTX Full-Face is a unique, low-density core that sits at the heart of the wedge. ZipCore makes you better by shifting the center of gravity, while also boosting High-Low MOI for more stability high and low on the wedge face. The result: more impacts on the sweet spot for more consistent spin, distance and feel on every shot.

Furthermore, RTX Full-Face features UltiZip grooves covering every last millimeter of the clubface for optimal spin performance, while a High-Toe profile allows the club to slide under the ball with confidence.

Similar to RTX ZipCore, the new RTX Full-Face features a new heat treatment process to boost durability and preserve the lifespan of the grooves to maintain spin performance round after round.

Cleveland is also expanding the Tour Rack program to make room for the new RTX Full-Face. Select from the standard Full-Face grind or add more versatility with a custom Relief Edge grind and then choose the leading edge that fits your playstyle.

FACE.png

Key Innovations Inside RTX Full-Face:

• ZipCore: ZipCore shifts the center of gravity while raising MOI, adding spin, enhancing control, and boosting consistency on all your shots.
  • UltiZip Grooves: These grooves are sharper and deeper, delivering maximum spin performance. They bite harder, channel more debris, and they’re closer together for more groove contact on every shot.
  • Heat Treatment: A new heat treatment process increases ZipCore’s durability, delivering better performance over a longer period of time.
  • Full-Face Grooves: Our hosel-to-toe groove pattern covers every millimeter of the face in UltiZip Grooves. That means you are free to get creative and hit it off the toe when the shot calls for it without sacrificing spin.
  • High-Toe Profile: The optimal High-Toe profile lets you open the face with confidence. We made sure to give enough area for performance on challenging shots while maintaining a classic silhouette address.

HERO.png

RTX Full-Face wedges are offered in a wide variety of lofts. The RTX Full-Face Tour Satin wedge is offered in 50° - 60°, and 64°, while the RTX Full-Face Tour Rack wedges are offered in 56° - 60°, and 64°. The RTX Full-Face Tour Satin wedges MAP at a price of $159.99, while the RTX Full-Face Tour Rack wedges MAP at a price of $179.99.

Retail Information and Pricing

Pricing: Tour Satin - $159.99, Tour Rack - $179.99

Lofts: Tour Satin (50° - 60°, & 64°; Tour Rack (56° - 60°, & 64°)

Finishes: Tour Satin, Tour Rack (RAW)

U.S. Retail Launch Date: June 11, 2021

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I shoulda waited a week to get a new wedge!  Gonna have to check these out for sure. Love full face grooves and definitely happy seeing them used on the lower lofts as well. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

If I didn't love the CBX wedges so much, I'd be looking to try one of these out.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I'm always perplexed by these high-toe wedges.
Are amateurs really able to keep the ball on the face long enough to even reach the grooves on the top of the toe? 
Seems like you'd have to lay it almost flat and take a mighty swipe, which is not an easy shot.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I could benefit from grooves extending to the toe of my wedges...occasionally anyway!

Edited by M. Parsons
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

I'm always perplexed by these high-toe wedges.
Are amateurs really able to keep the ball on the face long enough to even reach the grooves on the top of the toe? 
Seems like you'd have to lay it almost flat and take a mighty swipe, which is not an easy shot.

Great point here StrokerAce.  I bought the ZipCore RTX in a 54 and a 50 in January and I LOVE them.  If full face was available back then, I think I still would have purchased the standard RTX's.  As a mid to high handicapper (15-17), I am not sure if a higher toe with more grooves would help or not.  Am I good enough to take advantage of those extra grooves?  Probably not.  Would the extra grooves help me more on mis-hits?  Not sure.  Would love other perspectives.

Woods/Hybrid: :ping-small: 10.5* K15 SF Tec, 16* K15 SF Tec, 20* i15

5i-PW: :taylormade-small: RocketBladez SF

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 50*,54* RTX ZipCore :vokey-small: 60* SM4 :callaway-small: 64* Mack Daddy 2

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No. 3 CB

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X or :srixon-small: Z-Star

Bags: :ping-small:  Pioneer (cart), Hopper (stand)

Push Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite One Swivel V8

When they talk high toe, is that the same look as the ugly TM wedges? If that's the case, I am out just on anesthetics alone. Also, it would seem hard to control spin with so.many grooves.

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

On 6/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, russtopherb said:

If I didn't love the CBX wedges so much, I'd be looking to try one of these out.

Ditto - my CBX wedges are da’ bomb!

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Been gaming the 58 for a few weeks now - some thoughts:

1. Full face comes into play when you open up the club face a lot, like for a flop or semi-flop shot. The ball has a tendency to ride up the face a bit. The very first shot I tried with this was a flop over a bunker to a tight pin placement. As mentioned in our launch article, usually I'd just toss the ball in the bunker and save everyone a bunch of time, but the combination of low-ish bounce and the aggressive C-grind produced a pretty good shot. As a tool, it does help make flop shots easier - and I do prefer it to the CBX full face wedge. I like the versatility around the green as well, and it looks like I won't be taking it out of the bag anytime soon. 

2. As for the 52 degree, I'm not noticing any real advantages or disadvantages over a "standard" wedge, so while it's not in the bag, I wouldn't say there's a downside to having it in the bag, either. 

3. One thing I think Cleveland did well here is because of the ZipCore technology (a super low-density core in the hosel which lets them move mass elsewhere), they didn't have to go crazy with the high toe look. While it does have a higher toe profile than the standard RTX, it's not crazy, at least to my eye. 

4. Can you hit a flop shot without a full face wedge?  Sure. Does this make it a little easier? It does for me. And it's great out of the sand. As with anything, it'll work for some, and not be a big deal for others. For me, I'd use one 56 degree and above, and am ambivalent on the lower lofted models. 

5. And not for nothing, I'm a big fan of the RTX ZipCore in general. The RTX 4 didn't work for me for some reason - wasn't impressed at all. ZipCore, however, is a honey.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Just judging from the pictures but these look the best of the full face groove wedges. I just wish they would have offered a lower bounce option. For a club that is designed for flop shots a low bounce would have been great!

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

My Edels had full face grooves and I noticed when chipping that often my ball made contact out by the toe due to having the club more upright, or open. My current Vega wedges don’t have full face grooves and I’m making contact at similar points on the face, which does affect rollout, loft of the ball on the shot, spin, etc. Balls don’t “roll-up” the length of the face, it’s just that certain shots will result in the ball making contact higher-up, or further out.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Have the 58* zipcore full face  in play, These perform exceptionally well for greenside and bunker shots. The 9* bounce works surprisingly well from tight lies, very solid performer.

Considering this for  southern bag update.  Great wedge. 

Its full face grooves, not to large hi toe, hence it is better looking at address, for me.

Edited by Puttingmatt