Callaway Fusion Driver from 2015, anyone else gaming this Sleeper?

BenjaminButtonz

I was fitted for this driver a few years back when it came time to retire the Cleveland launcher COMP. mine is fitted with a Fuji Motore Speeder 565 shaft and was a NO-BRAINER for $225 4 years ago. I have tried other drivers, although not many. I have yet to find some thing that works as well with my swing. Curious how many others out there are gaming the same head? What else would love to hear any insight, feedback, or comments, or advice anyone has about this driver. 🙂 

I do have a cobra speed-zone driver with a Fuji Ventis blue shaft installed (para and stripes edition in red/white/blue colorway.) and have yet to been able to figure it out/hit it consistently. Until then, I keep my trusty gamer in the bag. 

Papa-Bear was Here. 

Was fitted by a Callaway rep for the Fusion when introduced. 9 deg with Recoil ES 450/F3 shaft. Loved the driver at the time. Excellent dispersion and good distance for a guy 70 yrs of age. 210-220 yds. Played the driver for a couple of yrs with satisfaction. Then Cobra introduced the Speedzone. Heard great reviews about the driver and decided to try it. Needless to say I was impressed. Was hitting the ball 20 to 40 yds further than with the Callaway. Dispersion was about equal. So I ordered one. 9 deg with UST Helium shaft SF3. Is my gamer but still play the Calloway from time to time. Have enjoyed both clubs.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

Awesome response! I feel similar about the two in comparison as You. When I find the center on an “smoothe and easy” fairway finder swing, the Cobra easily keeps up, if not out performs the Callaway. Mis hits are also treated well when using the Cobra. The biggest issue for me is overall feel and how they setup. The Callaway is a no brainer, free swinging club for me that I know exactly what each feeling translates too for ball flight/Mishima/etc. I keep them both in the bag, so whenever I play I have the opportunity to “side by side” test them on the course. Once I get a few more rounds under the belt and some confidence Built up with it, there’s definitely too much performance gains on the table to ignore. I hope I can get to the same trust I have in my old faithful Fusion. 

Also very interested in trying the “speed zone Xtreme” head if I could ever find out cheap enough. The all white Pare & Stripes  speedzone head is a big change when trying to transition from the flat black carbon of the Fusion also. 

Papa-Bear was Here. 

14 hours ago, jamescurotto said:

I am using it, and it will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.

I love this driver.

I will never sell mine, I can play a thoughtless power fade/light draw at the pull of a trigger. It took my awhile to get the tempo down with this shaft, but when I’m hitting it well nothing in my bag gives me more confidence that threading the fairway right where your minds-eye was staring. 

Papa-Bear was Here. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2021 at 1:13 PM, BenjaminButtonz said:

I was fitted for this driver a few years back when it came time to retire the Cleveland launcher COMP. mine is fitted with a Fuji Motore Speeder 565 shaft and was a NO-BRAINER for $225 4 years ago. I have tried other drivers, although not many. I have yet to find some thing that works as well with my swing. Curious how many others out there are gaming the same head? What else would love to hear any insight, feedback, or comments, or advice anyone has about this driver. 🙂 

I do have a cobra speed-zone driver with a Fuji Ventis blue shaft installed (para and stripes edition in red/white/blue colorway.) and have yet to been able to figure it out/hit it consistently. Until then, I keep my trusty gamer in the bag. 

I know you posted this awhile ago, but I was curious if anyone played the fusion. I bought mine about 4 years ago.  I had been playing a Cleveland hi bore launcher.  Never had a good swing but after a few range sessions I could usually manage my way around the course.  I was around mid-20s hdcp.  Until 4 years ago.  The Cleveland was a hand me down, stiff shaft, so thought time to get something newer but not pay full price.  At the time, I hit the M6, ping something, and Fusion.  Really didn’t hit any very well but the fusion with a recoil 450 ES F3 was the best.  Being an older model, I paid $199.  Regretted the purchase at the time.

I finally realized  my swing was a mess, not the club, so after the purchase, I finally took a few lessons.  They totally changed my swing, which took a lot of patience and effort.  Even a few years later, I am getting better and better with it. I’ve been 84% FIR for the past 2 years, and thru studying swing mechanics, increasing flexibility and strengthening my core, getting more and more distance.  In my late 60s and carrying 220 yards now with some drives in the 240s.  I’ve tried the Rogue STMax, but don’t hit it any better than my Fusion.  I love this club and shaft combination.  

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour