Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Is it a push or a pull ? Or both ?

Does the transition feel for you become a push , pull; or both push and pull? Not sure where I read it. But it was a long debate on this topic. 

or is it certain areas of the transition feel like one or the other at different junctures of the swing ?

I should’ve also mentioned that in transition in the Downswing into the finish. My feel is a pushing with the left hand and an opening of the club with the right hand. So I’m pushing towards the target with my left lead hand. But my right back wrist is pulling back the club face keeping it square or even a slightly open feel 

anyone have this feeling? Or different ?

On 3/6/2022 at 10:51 PM, Goober said:

Does the transition feel for you become a push , pull; or both push and pull?

I'm not sure if you're trying to discern a problem you are having or if it is just one of those puzzling things, that I often find myself asking about many, many things. But  I can assure you though that when it comes to swinging a golf club, that falls into the category of things, that I purposely don't ever think about.   Other things in this category are, takeaway, swing plane/arc,  weight transfer,  wrist hinge or lack thereof, and likely many others that I am unaware of because I don't think of them.  I simply find the less I think about my golf swing the better I play.  

That is a lot of words to simply say, I haven't ever thought of it, nor do I intend to.  Because the more I think about technical things the worse I play.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Here’s a goo short video. Jake has lots of good content that demonstrates feels and movements. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Sam Snead said the swing was a pull with the leading arm.  Even though he was one of the best ever, that still only tells you what he FELT.  Other great golfers seem to really feel the movement of the right arm in the downswing.  Whatever works for you.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

... The classic old school golf swing was a pulling down of the left arm from the top of the backswing and a swinging motion. The modern swing is more of a right arm push and hit than a true swing. Personally I think using both hands and arms produces less problems but truthfully whatever works for you and is your natural tendency will always be best in the long run. Golf magazines make a living on confusing instructions because there really isn't just one swing that works for all golfers, especially if you are caught between the two but fully doing neither.

... And then of course as already mentioned what we feel like we are doing and what we are doing can be quite different. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... The classic old school golf swing was a pulling down of the left arm from the top of the backswing and a swinging motion. The modern swing is more of a right arm push and hit than a true swing. Personally I think using both hands and arms produces less problems but truthfully whatever works for you and is your natural tendency will always be best in the long run. Golf magazines make a living on confusing instructions because there really isn't just one swing that works for all golfers, especially if you are caught between the two but fully doing neither.

... And then of course as already mentioned what we feel like we are doing and what we are doing can be quite different. 

absolutely ......  :)

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

It's more of a push for me because I have a tendency to pull my body through impact.  If I have the mindset of pulling, I'll get too steep and come over a bit.  Your feelings of the downswing need to match up with your tendencies.  I think many people who tend to stay back on their rear side too much might benefit from thinking about pulling.

All great replies. I do concur that this is a feel i have. And maybe one day I can figure how to film my swing and post it here. So my pull might be a push feel .. and my push feel might indeed be a pull. But I do feel as I play my best when my hands are turning opposite of each other In transition. As odd as this sounds. They are turning away from each other versus ringing out a towel feeling 

23 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Here’s a goo short video. Jake has lots of good content that demonstrates feels and movements. 

Now that is a great video 

How about this? In a a one plane swing it is a pull and in a 2 plane swing it is a push.

Think about it. If you are going to come down on the same place, pulling the club down is a pretty easy swing thought.

However, in a modern 2 plane swing, where the swing is wide going back and narrow coming down, then the right side has to push the club through.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 3/17/2022 at 5:19 PM, Beakbryce said:

How about this? In a a one plane swing it is a pull and in a 2 plane swing it is a push.

Think about it. If you are going to come down on the same place, pulling the club down is a pretty easy swing thought.

However, in a modern 2 plane swing, where the swing is wide going back and narrow coming down, then the right side has to push the club through.

This is an interesting response. And I concur. I think I play my best with a one plane style of a swing. As the more speed I add the tighter it feels. Which would be more of a pushing feel thru impact. Where the handle feels like it is accelerating first before the clubhead

Now when I practice, and my swing speed drops down to half. And I’m focusing mainly on ball to face contact..versus results. Than I have a true two plane loopy action going on. As I’m sure many of you all do. And it is more of a pushing feel and flippy at Impact. 

that is just my follow up to your post. And it does make sense. When we add speed the circle becomes more one versus a two plane loopy loop 

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2022 at 9:37 AM, Goober said:

This is an interesting response. And I concur. I think I play my best with a one plane style of a swing. As the more speed I add the tighter it feels. Which would be more of a pushing feel thru impact. Where the handle feels like it is accelerating first before the clubhead

Now when I practice, and my swing speed drops down to half. And I’m focusing mainly on ball to face contact..versus results. Than I have a true two plane loopy action going on. As I’m sure many of you all do. And it is more of a pushing feel and flippy at Impact. 

that is just my follow up to your post. And it does make sense. When we add speed the circle becomes more one versus a two plane loopy loop 

Thank you for the feedback. I don't like to think about it when I am swinging, but if the thought is there prior to the swing I seem to hit it the best. Happy golf!

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)