Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How’s it worked out?

revkev

We have two threads, old threads, that really go together. 

“What equipment are you thinking about” and “What have you bought, lately?” 

As much fun as thinking about, testing and buying are getting stuff onto the course is where the rubber meets the road. To that end of the goal of this thread is to have a place to come and talk about how those purchases have worked out.

I’ll start. I’ve had two equipment purchases lately, a Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2 grind (58.8) and a fairway wood (4 wood with 3 wood length shaft) that a friend custom built for me.  Both were bargain type purchases - around $100 each.  

The goal of the wedge was to have a club that was automatic out of traps and useful out of rough around the greens. The goal of the fairway was to gain at least 10 yards over my 5 wood while still launching it high enough to be useful in the summer when it’s wet. 

The wedge has been very successful thus far. on course I’ve only left one in a trap with it and that was a very difficult down hill shot facing water. In fact I got the next one up and down so no harm, no foul. I’ve yet to blade one over a green (my favorite miss with other wedges I’ve game of late.) I’m competent with it around the green as well but it is not good off of tight, dry fairway lies, too much bounce. NP, I have a 56 degree SCOR in for that shot and any full shot inside 85. 

Fairway wood is an unmitigated success from the fairway. On the range it launches the same as the 5 wood, Carrie’s 7 yards farther and is hot, running out to 12 yards farther, I hit one 217 with it yesterday, that’s way longer than I can hit my 5 wood.

Thus far these purchases look as if they will stay in my bag!

How are your recent ones working out? Have they give you what you were looking for? 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Love this idea Rev, well done!

I can sum up every driver purchase starting with the 2014 season right here.  And there have been MANY, at least one if not 2-3 per year.

SLDR is still in the bag (Got fit for it at The Kingdom in 2013)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Tell ya what, I took a flyer on a recent, sort of off the wall purchase and it's worked out remarkably well.

I'm currently at 6.0, formerly 1.2 just a few years ago. Lost my swing, regained some of it but haven't been able to shake my poor tee ball. I can lose 2 or 6 balls per round, OB being prevalent, it's maddening. Driver, FW, hybrid, equally disappointing at times.

Desiring a fairway finder, I took a leap on something way outside my norm. A one-length 19° Cobra Radspeed hybrid. By one-length, we're talking 7-iron shaft length. The darned thing looks like a youth club, a toy in any adult's hands (I'm only 5' 9" and it's still short).

Was only hoping for 215 or so off the tee for me to use on some of our shorter holes that have been absolutely punishing me. Well... first time out, I didn't expect 240+ off the tee.

After a couple rounds, I honestly still can't wrap my mind around it. I'm longish but not a banger. 7-iron is my 170-175 club and I can jump on it for some more. But a 7-iron length 19° hybrid traveling over 240? Nah, that ain't real.

But it is real. And because I didn't expect such distance creating a gap in my bag, and being sold on this "toy" club, I just ordered a 24° too.

It's shockingly good, this club. So glad that I took a chance on it.

@Will_Mac I'm glad you said that...I've got a couple of short hybrids that I played earlier this year that fell out of rotation when I shook up my bag around May.  They were very consistent clubs until suddenly they weren't.  Heading to my third season of golf I ought to give them another look.

To @revkev's original topic, I'm still always on the lookout for garage sale and goodwill upgrades, but my recent jump on the crazy PXG sale a few weeks back yielded a new 3 wood with less than stellar results.  It's awful slicey.  Still early on that one, though.

Other big expenditure this year was a new Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver, bought with bonus bucks from work.  This was a winner, both adding distance and narrowing dispersion.

I was fitted for one of those clubs and the other was bought on a whim, any guesses as to which was which? 😂

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

On 12/11/2022 at 11:11 PM, hckymeyer said:

Love this idea Rev, well done!

I can sum up every driver purchase starting with the 2014 season right here.  And there have been MANY, at least one if not 2-3 per year.

SLDR is still in the bag (Got fit for it at The Kingdom in 2013)

This is too funny - I remember when you were fit for that. Loft up! 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The only thing I added to the bag this year was a change in drivers. I went from a Ping G400 at 12 degrees in SR flex to a Titleist TSi1 at 10 degrees in stiff flex. Now keep in mind I was fitted for both, but the TSi 1 is the clear winner. I gained swing speed from the ultra-light weight shaft and head, some carry yardage and additional yardage from roll out and tightened up dispersion some from the flex change. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag