Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Used Golf Balls…Thumbs up or down?

... Here is the thing. Obviously nobody cares what balls you play and if you wanna take a chance on used balls that's your choice. But here is a good example of why I never would. There is a dogleg right par 4 that is guarded by a lake. From my tees it is a 220yd carry, sometimes a little more of the tees are back. I carry my driver around 225-230 pretty consistently. I am not going to take a chance on a used ball that may or may not have an issue and hit it 219 yds and end up in the water. 

... I play 4 or 5 times every week year round, July-Aug the exception and skip playing if playing is over 113* and I start every round with a new ball. Unless a ball was scuffed or lost in my last round and I put a new ball in play during the round, I will use that one to start the next round. Even though I get a good deal with my Sr City Card and it's only $37 to walk, the cost of using a new Maxfli Tour is $2.50 a ball. I use my Dicks reward coupons so usually around 50 cents a ball or less for me but even at $2.50 I have the piece of mind knowing my ball is perfect and any error is mine, not the balls. Again, you may be fine taking that chance and that's cool too.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 hour ago, Old Texian said:

I often play as a single, and when not pressed have enjoyed scouting the woods and water holes for lost balls. I've decided that I will no longer use a water hole ball unless it's one I've just dunked, because I've seen some data on the waterlog effect. So I'm also not interested in buying used balls because I have no idea of how long they've spent soaking. I'll still use nice-looking balls found in the woods unless they have obvious squirrel tooth marks.

No - please do not misunderstand.  If I "dunk" the one I usually play and there is no drop zone, the next one is a much cheaper ball - but brand new.  Thanks!  😎

gowfer1959  😎

Spoiler

I do it often. Lost Golf Balls. Com or some of the others are reputable.  I buy Titleist ProV1 ProV1x and AVX because they have certain year modes you can buy, and the alignment aid on the side varies from year model to year model so you know how old the ball is. 

You don’t know how long it has been in the lake but if I’m buying a 2021 model hen I know it hasn’t spent 10 years in a lake. 

Having said that, if I’m playing a tournament or something important, I will play a new ball. For just regular rounds, I’ve never once hit a shot and could blame the used ball for it not performing properly.

Point in fact, every ball is a used ball after the first hit. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Last spring I was given a large range basket (95+/-) Pro V1/V1x balls - most marked “practice” that were from a course in the Atlanta area.  The balls range in age from 07 - up to - 16.  All were in 4a or better shape.  I am slowly playing thru them - it is interesting in that when I play newer PV-1s, there is a definite difference in feel off the face.  I still have a small army of found balls (most are woods/brush finds, not H2O balls).  Have slowly migrated from the need for used as most balls are wearing out before becoming lost….just nice to know I don’t lose them like I used to. 

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

The local Cancer Society Thrift store sells balls 5 for $1.  San Diego near Torrey and near Carlsbad, golf club heaven.  If I have time, I rummage thru the buckets.  But nowadays, after finally retiring and now playing 2x weekly and practising more, I prefer to play any urethane, and use bright colors any kind for the afternoon sun.  I ride, put a bunch of junk in my bag, so in twilight, when nobody behind me, on a straight hole I hit a bunch of junk balls off the tee box as if I am on the range.  Best way to end a twilight less-than-18 round.  Bam, bam, bam!    

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Used them as my predominant "gamer" for several years. While also periodically playing identical model new about 20% of the time.

Have not experienced any difference that would deter me from buying from reputable source.     Given we are talking exact same model of ball.

Have read and seen tons of data that shows there is a difference, but in fairness there is also data that shows inconsistencies in brand new balls from same dozen as well.

Most recently I have switched to VICE Pro+ and will most likely be sticking with those based on experienced - but NOT based on experience of used balls lack of performance.

For one, I scoff at any golfer who pretends they notice a difference.  Not that they don't perceive it, but more to the point ..... us as golfers are so inconsistent in all aspects it is near impossible to know from one shot to the next whether it was ball or stike  or technique based.  Not ridiculing anyone, just trying to shine a bit of perspective on the immense amount of variables involved to event know if the differences we perceive are attributable to any isolated aspect.  Could be the ball, the golfers, the atmosphere, the anything.

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... Here is the thing. Obviously nobody cares what balls you play and if you wanna take a chance on used balls that's your choice. But here is a good example of why I never would. There is a dogleg right par 4 that is guarded by a lake. From my tees it is a 220yd carry, sometimes a little more of the tees are back. I carry my driver around 225-230 pretty consistently. I am not going to take a chance on a used ball that may or may not have an issue and hit it 219 yds and end up in the water. 

... I play 4 or 5 times every week year round, July-Aug the exception and skip playing if playing is over 113* and I start every round with a new ball. Unless a ball was scuffed or lost in my last round and I put a new ball in play during the round, I will use that one to start the next round. Even though I get a good deal with my Sr City Card and it's only $37 to walk, the cost of using a new Maxfli Tour is $2.50 a ball. I use my Dicks reward coupons so usually around 50 cents a ball or less for me but even at $2.50 I have the piece of mind knowing my ball is perfect and any error is mine, not the balls. Again, you may be fine taking that chance and that's cool too.  

Your premise is sound and by all means nothing to criticize.  

I would simply point out that if MGS golf ball deep dives are to be relied upon, this is the case (being uncertain that any given ball might vary in performance) with most balls even from the same box.  Some manufacturers more reliable than others.  Those deep dives are precisely why I stopped playing Bridgestone.  I will say that in my years (probably the past dozen or so) of playing quality use/refurbished ... I have not one time felt I had executed properly and the ball let me down.  

Just saying my reality does not, or has not matched some of the "data" that exists.  Which in no way invalidates the data.   I'm just pointing out it is not something I have experienced.  And I like playing my meaningless rounds with balls that cost me about 1/3 or so of the retail price but seem to give me non fractional performance.

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

I play Titelist AVX Yellow balls. I’ve bought them several times from LostGolfBalls.com and only the Pristine level and always wait for a coupon. I also have received them as a gift and I find them equal to the new ones in every way. If one finds the water or the woods I blame me…not the ball. I just bought a 48 ball bucket for $125.00…free shipping no less…so they work for me.

Driver PXG 0311 Black Ops 10.5 Cypher R Flex

3&5 Woods PXG 0311 Gen 5 Cypher R Flex

4 Utility PXK 0311 Gen 5 Cypher R Flex

5-GW PXG 0311 Gen 5 Cypher A Flex

Wedge 56 Taylormade MG4

Grip JumboMax JMX Zen Lite Medium

Putter Lab Mezz Max Broomstick @42.5x78.5

12 hours ago, Stevew911 said:

Good morning golfers..I bought 2 dozen of 5+ prestin golf balls used onetime and I just should of bought new ones instead because they were not prestin what so ever. There are cheaper balls out there.. that are brand new..thumbs down for me..have a wonderful day golfer's and God bless 

@Stevew911 welcome to the forum. Hope you have many more postings in the future and that you find this as a good source of "non marketing" information. As you see, lots of varying experiences and thoughts. All are welcome for sure.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

7 hours ago, Old Texian said:

I often play as a single, and when not pressed have enjoyed scouting the woods and water holes for lost balls. I've decided that I will no longer use a water hole ball unless it's one I've just dunked, because I've seen some data on the waterlog effect. So I'm also not interested in buying used balls because I have no idea of how long they've spent soaking. I'll still use nice-looking balls found in the woods unless they have obvious squirrel tooth marks.

Welcome to the forum.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I don’t use refurbished, used balls purchased from a company, or anything along those lines. However: My son works on the grounds crew at my club. We have ditches along side many fairways and most of the holes are wooded down the sides. The ditches are normally dry. He will literally bring home a hundred balls a week during prime season. 
I will run them through a cleaning process and sort out the high end balls or balls that I want to try. Once sorted I will put the good balls through the salt water test for concentricity.  Anything that fails goes back in the bucket of non premium balls.

I do take the non premium balls back to the course via the driving range. I get the practice and they get the balls. I’ll take 50 back at a time. The course appreciates the free balls.

For the most part my son uses the “Tom certified” balls. I am fortunate enough to get a lot of new balls for free from all the golf tournaments I’m in and my company gives me boxes of balls for use and to give to customers.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

10 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I don’t use refurbished, used balls purchased from a company, or anything along those lines. However: My son works on the grounds crew at my club. We have ditches along side many fairways and most of the holes are wooded down the sides. The ditches are normally dry. He will literally bring home a hundred balls a week during prime season. 
I will run them through a cleaning process and sort out the high end balls or balls that I want to try. Once sorted I will put the good balls through the salt water test for concentricity.  Anything that fails goes back in the bucket of non premium balls.

I do take the non premium balls back to the course via the driving range. I get the practice and they get the balls. I’ll take 50 back at a time. The course appreciates the free balls.

For the most part my son uses the “Tom certified” balls. I am fortunate enough to get a lot of new balls for free from all the golf tournaments I’m in and my company gives me boxes of balls for use and to give to customers.

Tom the golf nut..that's awesome. That your son goes out and gets tons of balls. I really do hope you make a few dollars .I respect that..these days it's not easy paying 60.00 for 12 golf balls..I did try the used prestin golf balls..I could of bought a box of brand new for the same price. Iam a callaway golf ball nut.thats the only ball I use.either the war bird or the super soft..happy golfing to you and your family..God bless you all..Steve 🙏 

Steven Williams 

I was once told by a wise man that "a lost golf ball wants to stay lost". I generally give away balls that I find by accident.

Coming back to golf

12 hours ago, Badams69 said:

Just saying my reality does not, or has not matched some of the "data" that exists.  Which in no way invalidates the data.   I'm just pointing out it is not something I have experienced.  And I like playing my meaningless rounds with balls that cost me about 1/3 or so of the retail price but seem to give me non fractional performance.

This point reminds me of what my dear friend Jim once told me.  He is a former course pro who is in his 80’s, therefore has hit more balls than I will ever hit.  He said, “They all pretty much go the same.  Just pick one that suits you and play it.” He would continue, “I’ve not purchased a ball since moving to the area over 12 years ago.  I just pick them up and put them in the basket, people leave them everywhere.”  He plays from the cheapest Noodle to the most expensive TItleist or Callaway or TaylorMade….whatever he grabs first from his cart basket as he will tell you they all have the same things in common: they are a round ball, they have dimples, they are some color or colors, they fly and roll when struck properly and they are “free to me” as found balls.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I havent bought any balls in years. First hole where Im a member at has woods to the right. Everyone tees up with their fresh ball and then many slice it. I know where they go 215 out to the right. If no one is behind or Im not pressed I go into "the spot" and come out with 10-15 like new Premium balls. Ill only pick up The Titelist, chromesoft, srixon, TM as long as theyre not scuffed at all and I will never pick up say a pinnacle or noodle unless Im playing with someone who doesnt care.  I have a laundry Basket full of Prov1, prov1x, avx all in like new condition and many other Tubs full of Brand sorted excellent condition balls. 

Also, dont be too scared about water balls if theres no scuffing or damage to the surface. If you put it on a scale and it weighs 1.62 oz, it is fine most likely. Just clean it up and dont play it that round and bring it in the house and play it another day. But if you see a Nitro, run far

Driver : Exotics EXS Pro with with Diamana 'ahina 70 stiff

3 Wood : Yamaha RMX 15* with Evenflow Green Stiff

7 Wood: Yonex Ezone with UST Comp stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w KBS Tour Graphite Stiff

Utility Iron: Srizon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: PRGR Silver Blade Wide Blade slant

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

I'm inclined to use the few balls I find if they are better brands I like such as pro v, callaway, taylormade.  I usually collect used balls and give them to the local charity thrift store.  I think it's much better to get new balls to play better golf or more consistent golf.

Titleist 718, scotty, PXG

3 hours ago, Langstonha said:

I'm inclined to use the few balls I find if they are better brands I like such as pro v, callaway, taylormade.  I usually collect used balls and give them to the local charity thrift store.  I think it's much better to get new balls to play better golf or more consistent golf.

Respectfully..... how do new balls make you play better and/or more consistently?

The way I see it, after you hit a brand new ball, it's used. If you are good enough to use the same ball for 18 holes... it's really used. I just don't see the advantage of paying 50+ $$$ for brand new balls if you are a mid HCer to mid single digit player. I am...  was an 8.6 HC player. I honestly can't tell the difference if the used ball is in 'decent' condition. YMMV.

Edited by silver & black
spelling

Until about 2 years ago I basically only played used balls. Granted these were ones I found myself, but I would never buy used balls. You really never know what you are getting, if they were under water, if they are just repainted Pinnacles.

I definitely would recommend DTC to anyone over used.  I personally have settled on OnCore and Maxfli as my go to's.

I even won a dozen of the new Vero XP from OnCore in a giveaway on Facebook but I didn't get a chance to test them out before hanging it up for the season 

image.png.596eab9904a0e99486a09cdb92500ced.png AeroJet LS 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65g Stiff-Flex

image.png.dbc730be382654e44c7d2a48fa6eed67.pngJPX-850 5W 16* Fujikura Motore Tour Spec 6.3 Stiff-Flex

image.png.9454767fdf9faf9965f7cd6c94d1c24a.png 0317X Gen4 2-Hybrid 17* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex or

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png 0211 3-Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex

image.png.e9d9c096f6e44154c947eaa8b0bd6541.pngPro 223 4-Iron Nippon Shafts Pro Modus3 Tour 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.3ec41f28452096d8fcdde969774ec768.pngMP-20 MMC 5-PW LA Golf Tour AXS Blue 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.ea5de508878d729c6e26f45fb78d76fb.pngPro 223 GW 52* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.25dc4d61c6e70541d98a681e1fade611.pngMG3 56* SB12 & 60* SB10 True Temper Dynamic Gold S400W

image.png.b81b08ab505111827d8b0cdc1bb93d14.pngWorks Big T Blade 350g Super Stroke Fatso 5.0 counterbalanced grip 

image.png.8c023ed39f083a2d0f865ee72c27c8d2.pngAcross the board

I’ll play a used ball if I find it on the course while I’m playing. Chances are it was lost the same day and not heavily used. I’ll use it where there’s a higher risk that I’ll lose a ball (over water mostly).

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

And don't forget the (famous?) quote allegedly about Ben Hogan.  He always says on the first tee : "Where's the ball washer?"  In other words,  . . . . 

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

If I am playing a tourney, it is new balls all the way. Beyond that, for everyday players, I get them of Ebay. I get 4 or 5 stars only and recycled only. I have a few sellers that I target, ones I know I have received good balls from. $1.25- 1.50 a ball is a heck of a lot better than $4-5 a ball especially when you plan on loosing them. It also takes a little stress off your game and your marriage. You don't sweat the cost and the wife could care less. And when you do hit it in the long stuff, your search time is a lot less. $108 for 72 balls vs $360 puts $250 towards a new club if needed. I would rather spend money on hammers vs nails.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 3W: TSR3, 5w Callaway BBti, Ping g430 Hybrid, Irons Ping i230, Taylormade MG 54, 58, Scotty Cameron Futura X5. Ball Titleist Pro v1x

For a tournament I always start with a new ball and use it until it is damaged to the point it will impact flight or I lose it. Can usually get 3-5 rounds out of a ball if I'm playing decent. If I'm playing with buddies at my home course and I find a nice Pro V1 that wasn't in the drink the day before I will save it and put it in play before breaking out another new ball. Love the buy 3 get one free usually in April.