Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

OnCore VERO X2 Golf Ball - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

13 hours ago, GregGarner said:

You know, sometimes I forget how much I like the ol' Left Dash. Such a good ball... BUT. I think the X2 is a very worthy opponent. They are remarkably similar. The LD flies a touch higher on solid/comparable strikes and I'm seeing just a couple more yards off the tee (consistently) with LD. Irons are identical, though I think the X2 might be a couple decibels louder. But for all intents and purposes, it could be the same ball. If you made me choose today, LD might edge out X2 by a whisker based solely on wedge play. I'm just having some trouble dialing in the X2 on partials and the LD is so dang consistent. Anyways. That's not what you came here for. As with before, X2 in yellow and I've got the LD in the blue/teal color.

Starting with a 6i going up the hill to a front pin:

Next is a little flip sand wedge from about 75 yards down the hill. The X2 ran out about 10-12 feet where the LD one-hopped and grabbed. I was a little surprised by that.

5i off the tee on a short-but-tricky par 4. Flared the LD a bit, but both were still solid and went exactly the same distance according to my ShotScope.

And last but not least, the big dog. Really tough 5-shotter. Except it's a par 4. Both of these were absolutely crushed and ended up through the fairway. They were mayyyyybe 7yards apart left-to-right? LD was about 3 yards longer off the tee on this one.

Playing 18 tomorrow, we'll see if I can match/beat Rob (doubtful...)

I'll be playing again today. Anything higher than 68 will now be a disappointment 🤣

My bag is a revolving door!

Might have found the Achilles' Heel... Wind. Every other round in the test, it had been completely calm (I usually play really early, so no real surprise there) but today we had a front working through and it was breezy, though only about 7mph. I had multiple shots that appeared to just get chewed up in the wind. I first noticed it on the 4th hole, hitting 5w off the tee. It's a sharp dogleg right and both driver and 3w are too much club unless you have a perfectly controlled 30-yard cut.

My normal 5w there goes about 230 and leaves me about 150 in. Today, I absolutely smoked it. It didn't make the corner. I had 190 left and needed a 10 yard cut to get around the trees. According to my ShotScope, the 5w today only just cleared 200 off the tee 😕 Later in the round, I had an 8i, PW, and 5i all come up short into the wind. On the par 3 11th, I hit a great 5i that should have been a tight draw into the breeze and as it lost speed, it fell quite a bit more to the right than I would have thought. I also had a GW that flew 15 yards further than it should have and a 6i that suddenly found an extra 20 yards, both downwind. I'm not good enough for any one of these shots to be evidence by itself, but all together? idk man...

Curious if anybody else has had a chance to test the X2's wind performance or if they've seen any issues?

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

7 hours ago, GregGarner said:

Might have found the Achilles' Heel... Wind. Every other round in the test, it had been completely calm (I usually play really early, so no real surprise there) but today we had a front working through and it was breezy, though only about 7mph. I had multiple shots that appeared to just get chewed up in the wind. I first noticed it on the 4th hole, hitting 5w off the tee. It's a sharp dogleg right and both driver and 3w are too much club unless you have a perfectly controlled 30-yard cut.

My normal 5w there goes about 230 and leaves me about 150 in. Today, I absolutely smoked it. It didn't make the corner. I had 190 left and needed a 10 yard cut to get around the trees. According to my ShotScope, the 5w today only just cleared 200 off the tee 😕 Later in the round, I had an 8i, PW, and 5i all come up short into the wind. On the par 3 11th, I hit a great 5i that should have been a tight draw into the breeze and as it lost speed, it fell quite a bit more to the right than I would have thought. I also had a GW that flew 15 yards further than it should have and a 6i that suddenly found an extra 20 yards, both downwind. I'm not good enough for any one of these shots to be evidence by itself, but all together? idk man...

Curious if anybody else has had a chance to test the X2's wind performance or if they've seen any issues?

Does anyone know if the Vero X2 is listed in the Ping Ballnamic ball fitting website? That's the only way I know how to compare it in wind performance to other balls in a raw numbers sort of way. 

I actually noticed a bit of trouble today with judging spin on shorter pitch/chip type shots. I'd hit one shot that would grab the green instantly and then hit another similar shot that ran across the green like a 2 piece suryln ball. Obviously I'm not a robot but I can usually tell if I hit a pitch or chip shot the same way or not. 

I'm through 3 rounds in Florida,  2 more coming this week. the ball hasn't melted.

The more i play it,  the more I'm just really impressed by it.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

14 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I'm through 3 rounds in Florida,  2 more coming this week. the ball hasn't melted.

The more i play it,  the more I'm just really impressed by it.

Melting temperature was never a factor I considered in my testing 😆

22 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

Melting temperature was never a factor I considered in my testing 😆

The heat is real in central Florida.

I was 2 holes from taking a photo of the X2, it had survived 52 holes of golf and was looking great.  Then on hole 53 i decided to give it a swim test....

I'm not a high spin player,  my Wedges aren't ripping covers off balls,  and through 52 holes this ball held up as good as anything I've seen.

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

I'm not a high spin player,  my Wedges aren't ripping covers off balls,  and through 52 holes this ball held up as good as anything I've seen.

It's been one of the most durable balls I've played, maybe ever.  I've yet to wear one out and have ended up losing it before taking it out of play which is pretty rare for me.  I can play a ball for 2-3 rounds if it holds up well enough.

On 5/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, GregGarner said:

It's actually one of the best wind balls that I've played. The only tour ball I've seen perform in the same league is TP5X, but Vero X2 has been better for me. I've actually had to loft up my driver slightly with the Vero X2 because I find it to be so low spin. 

On 5/13/2023 at 10:39 PM, 03trdblack said:

Does anyone know if the Vero X2 is listed in the Ping Ballnamic ball fitting website? That's the only way I know how to compare it in wind performance to other balls in a raw numbers sort of way. 

I actually noticed a bit of trouble today with judging spin on shorter pitch/chip type shots. I'd hit one shot that would grab the green instantly and then hit another similar shot that ran across the green like a 2 piece suryln ball. Obviously I'm not a robot but I can usually tell if I hit a pitch or chip shot the same way or not. 

This is the only weakness I've found with the ball, where I do have to plan on a bit less check compared Pro V1X Left Dash and TP5X. It's not dramatic, but there's definitely not quite as much juice around the green. But I'm happy to accept that because the ball is so much better tee to green and actually feels pretty soft for its compression. 

On 5/18/2023 at 9:47 AM, 03trdblack said:

It's been one of the most durable balls I've played, maybe ever.  I've yet to wear one out and have ended up losing it before taking it out of play which is pretty rare for me.  I can play a ball for 2-3 rounds if it holds up well enough.

Same here. I lose it well before it's anywhere near taking it out of play. This includes bunker shots and a couple of shots of rocky lies, because my 3-wood has decided it isn't the fairway finder it used to be. I've had several shots with a full wedge that leaves a little paint on the face, but when I check the ball, there are no scuffs or anything. Really outstanding to get this kind of durability and, IMO, for those concerned about $50/dozen, this is a pretty ringing endorsement that they did not cheap out on the cover.

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

30 minutes ago, zakski said:

It's actually one of the best wind balls that I've played. The only tour ball I've seen perform in the same league is TP5X, but Vero X2 has been better for me. I've actually had to loft up my driver slightly with the Vero X2 because I find it to be so low spin. 

This makes sense and they're probably related facts. In general, balls that are lower spin do better in the wind than those that are higher spin. I'm just such a high spin player in general that no ball is immune for me... 😕 

Tested:

I had one ball going for a good stretch! Andddd I rinsed it. Was hoping to get one for like 36 holes +! Cover was decent. Similar to what you would see with other premium balls. Maybe not as durable as a Srixon. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

On 5/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, GregGarner said:

Snuck out for 9 this morning before work for some head-to-head action against the Chrome Soft X LS (XLS). I'll tell you what, playing these side by side? I really don't think I would be able to tell the difference if they were unmarked. I can tell that the X2 is less spin off driver and it definitely flies lower, but it's actually got more stopping power than I was giving it credit for into the green. 

Do you think it flies lower just because of lower spin or does it launch lower as well. From the videos looks like it might be a slightly lower flight on the irons as well. Do you think it is?

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

22 minutes ago, ZackS said:

Do you think it flies lower just because of lower spin or does it launch lower as well. From the videos looks like it might be a slightly lower flight on the irons as well. Do you think it is?

When mgs did their last huge golf ball test they find that the launch angle on every ball was about the same,  with minimal differences between them.  Tony even talked about it and that trajectory was what was noticeable. 

So to answer your question,  i don't think it launches lower,  my LM numbers say that it is about the same as anything else.  But,  it's trajectory with driver is much lower than most. 

WITB:

59 minutes ago, ZackS said:

I'm confident the launch angle is basically identical to every other ball out there, but the trajectory is definitively lower than most, almost certainly due to the dimple pattern. (Shallower dimples = higher flight, deeper dimples = lower flight, all else being equal) The X2 has dimples that are little deeper than I would have guessed for a low spin ball, but that is probably helping to keep the trajectory down. If you're the target demo (you hit it too high and/or have too much spin) I think this ball checks a lot of boxes

Edited by GregGarner

Tested:

19 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

When mgs did their last huge golf ball test they find that the launch angle on every ball was about the same,  with minimal differences between them.  Tony even talked about it and that trajectory was what was noticeable. 

So to answer your question,  i don't think it launches lower,  my LM numbers say that it is about the same as anything else.  But,  it's trajectory with driver is much lower than most. 

Interesting, when I did ball fittings, with irons I haven’t seen more then a degree but have seen up to 3 degrees on a driver. I assumed it was a difference in swing until the fitter showed me the club data on a few and they were pretty much identical. I have been trying the Chromesoft X and XLS and thing the peak hight is the same but think the XLS starts slightly higher but with less spin. Now we are talking very small differences, maybe a degree. End the end all I care is I get a good landing angle to stop the ball. But since I hit it high so don’t struggle stopping it. But and play in a lot of wind usually and when I try and knock it down I tend to spin it to much so just hit a low rising ball that get stuck in the wind anyway. 

WITB:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

24 minutes ago, GregGarner said:

I'm confident the launch angle is basically identical to every other ball out there, but the trajectory is definitively lower than most, almost certainly due to the dimple pattern. (Shallower dimples = higher flight, deeper dimples = lower flight, all else being equal) The X2 has dimples that are little deeper than I would have guessed for a low spin ball, but that is probably helping to keep the trajectory down. If you're the target demo (you hit it too high and/or have too much spin) I think this ball checks a lot of boxes

I might just have to give it a try. Google has been doing its normal tracking everything I do 🫣 and fed me a 20% off ad. So I can get a box for $40

Edited by ZackS

WITB:

@GregGarner in one of the updates you mentioned having problems dialing in the wedges. Do they spin less on wedges than the Chromesoft XLS? If so is it a good amount, or just takes a  little getting used to the difference?

WITB:

1 minute ago, ZackS said:

@GregGarner in one of the updates you mentioned having problems dialing in the wedges. Do they spin less on wedges than the Chromesoft XLS? If so is it a good amount, or just takes a  little getting used to the difference?

For me, definitely less than XLS. XLS tends to come back a couple feet on a full SW and the X2 is finishing a couple feet long of the pitch mark. Partial wedges, I'm assuming that it's less, but I'm actually having trouble with consistent spin. It seems like sometimes it really nips and other times it runs out quite a bit

Tested:

Last week of testing, ball is good! Got some good LM numbers and go figure there are a lot of good balls out there. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

1 hour ago, GregGarner said:

For me, definitely less than XLS. XLS tends to come back a couple feet on a full SW and the X2 is finishing a couple feet long of the pitch mark. Partial wedges, I'm assuming that it's less, but I'm actually having trouble with consistent spin. It seems like sometimes it really nips and other times it runs out quite a bit

Thanks for the the reply. I don’t struggle to stop the ball but do usually play in very firm conditions and inconsistent spin is worrisome. 

WITB:

On 4/11/2023 at 11:50 PM, invee123 said:

The OnCore Vero X2 is in fact a golf ball. Even more importantly, it is a very good golf ball for people who swing the club fast and want the ball to go as fast and straight as possible. It is a great ball for people who want a...

Review posted - please enjoy! I'd love to know who of you would pick this up over your current gamer and why.

:callaway-small: Rogue MAX LS 9° (set to +1°)

:callaway-small: Rogue Max 3W 15°

:callaway-small:Apex UW 19°

:taylormade-small: p770 w/ Project X 6.5 (4-AW)

:callaway-small: Jaws Full-Toe Black 54° & 60°

:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"

:taylormade-small: TP5x 

and my final thoughts / review is up.

lottery-lotto.gif.dc796ed3c245ae682b8f29ef7bf05a7c.gif

WITB:

Great to see these reviews coming in and with a lot of curious golfers I am sure these are going to be a real hit with many!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I love the Vero X2 ball, but only in the original white color. The matte green just does not seem to have the same level of spin and short game control for me.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I'm seeing some trends developing on a couple things on this ball from our reviews so far.

Curious if the rest of the reviews come in with the same opinions 🤔

WITB:

Posted my review on the first page.  Really so glad I was able to test these balls out and hope to be able to do more testing again in the future.

I also played again today but it was almost entirely in the rain.  It's been quite frustrating as a lot of the rounds I've played recently have been while it's raining and it's hard to determine the difference between the ball performance and the elements having an impact on the shot.  Trying to evaluate spin goes right out the window!  I can't wait to get some warmer/dryer rounds in with this ball and keep the thread going with updates.

Great reviews so far with a lot of insights! Been a fun read and encourage all to do the same!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Final Reviews! 2023 MGS Forum Member Test: OnCore VERO X2 Golf Ball

I am very interested in getting into these reviews when I have time today. I have actually ZERO experience with Oncore, but color me intrigues because a lot of people sware by this DTC brand.

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg