Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

My Bag Needs A Fairway Wood (3, 4, or 5)...

King_Bogey

I appreciate any feedback and thanks for reading.  I am a pretty budget minded guy.  I know I will never need to drop $1,000 - $2,000 for clubs.  Starting at 49 years old among other things, and I know my place.  I am looking for a 3, 4, or 5 wood.  I know that I need at least two of these, but just getting an idea.  My driver is a 12.5* TaylorMade Aeroburner (black).  So, I feel I don't need a wood near that loft.  Used is fine (but not 25+ years old) but I would like it to look good.  I am a fan of a bigger club head and more surface area face on the wood, forgiving and easy to hit off the tee and fairway.  Just regular build guy, 5 feet 9 if that is important.  Many thanks for any help.

DRIVER:  :taylormade-small: AeroBurner 12.5*

IRONS:  :wilson_staff_small: D9 (5-GW)

PUTTER:  :odyssey-small: Dual Force 550

I have a Sub 70 949x 4w. It’s long and just wants to go straight. It’s easy to launch. It’s also adjustable which is nice. New it’s under $200 and they have pre owned one on their website that are less. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

When I started playing a litte over 1,5 years ago, I got a hand me down 3 wood from my dad and bought a cheap 5 wood on sale to go along with it. Cuz that's what my dad played. I played with that setup for the bulk of the '22 season and while I really liked the 5 wood, the 3 wood was a dead spot in my bag. I couldn't hit it from the fairway (still can't) and it wasn't any more accurate than driver off the tee, at least for me.

Towards the end of the season, I re evaluated my bag and did some testing in shops. Ended up switching 3 + 5 wood for 4 wood (or 3 HL as some call it) + 7 wood. Best decision I could've made. So if you're a beginner/high handicapper like me and want to bag two woods, my recommendation based on experience would be going with either 4+7 or 5+7, depending on if you want to use the lower lofted one off the tee a lot or primarily from fairway lies.

Edited by Cryss

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°

TaylorMade Stealth 3HL 16.5°

Cobra LTDx 7W 21.5°

Callaway Rogue CF18 5H 24°

Callaway Rogue CF18 6i-PW

Cleveland CBX2 49° + 54°, CBX Full Face 58°

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black #3

Vice Pro

Arccos

Go with the 4 or 5 wood. The reality is you're probably (less than 5%) hitting the green from 3-wood distance anyways and unless you're playing a tight course that requires tee shots of a certain distance you're probably not going to use a 3w much off the tee either. Get the 4 or the 5. The extra loft will help with accuracy and be easier to hit out of the rough as well as the fairway. Plus you can still tee it up if you need to, or on a long par 3.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Many thanks folks.  I have read to get a 4 and a 7 wood.  They are the best to actually have some decent progress with as a beginner.  Looking at 5 woods also.  Has anyone played any others that were just crazy good striking, forgiving woods?  Looking to spend no more than $120 on a wood.

Like already mentioned, Sub 70 has pre owned ones on their site for good prices. Also can't go wrong with callawaygolfpreowned.com.

Cobra LTDx 7W 21.5°

Vice Pro

Arccos

21 minutes ago, King_Bogey said:

Many thanks folks.  I have read to get a 4 and a 7 wood.  They are the best to actually have some decent progress with as a beginner.  Looking at 5 woods also.  Has anyone played any others that were just crazy good striking, forgiving woods?  Looking to spend no more than $120 on a wood.

Cobra makes some hot-faced woods. And PXG usually has a sale going on something. I mean if you look on eBay you can find just about anything. I found a 2-year old (at the time) Titleist for $50. It's still in my bag. Any mainstream (Titleist, TM, Callaway, Ping, Cobra etc.) are going be be comparable quality, a lot of it is preference. What looks good and gives you a feeling of confidence. I bought Titleist because I had a Titleist driver so I hedged that the fairway would be a good fit for me too.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have a few 4 and 5 woods along with a 7 wood or two that I am currently looking at.  I would like to post them here and get any feedback from you all.  Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.  I know many will say well it depends on how well you hit the club.  I know that, but I live in a pretty small town that has no places to buy equipment and actually try it out.  Those places are about 1.5-2 hours away.  And there is a chance that they won't have the price range of clubs that I am looking (sort of a tight budget) anyway.  I am fine with buying clubs online.  I have my irons from next round golf, my putter and bag from Facebook Marketplace, etc.  Also, a lot of places give you a 30 day try it out period.  However, if you return it, all they give is store credit.  That doesn't work out all that great if they have nothing else you like/want/need.  So, if you know about the clubs I post here from playing them, trying them out, and/or have friends that have done so, please share.

19 hours ago, King_Bogey said:

First, welcome!  Second stock answer would be 4 wood, 7 wood especially based on what you said.  Just keep looking until you find them at your price point at a place like Carl's or Second Swing golf - you should be pretty much stock and know whether you prefer stock R or S - r flex may be better regardless because you should launch it a bit higher.   But also why are you convinced that you need two woods?  Do you hit your 3 iron well - people tend to hit either wood or iron better.  Have you considered a hybrid of some sort for that spot?  It's nice to have a hybrid in the bag because they are easier to use for bump and runs - gives you a bit more versitility in the bag.

Just some thoughts - enjoy!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

8 minutes ago, revkev said:

First, welcome!  Second stock answer would be 4 wood, 7 wood especially based on what you said.  Just keep looking until you find them at your price point at a place like Carl's or Second Swing golf - you should be pretty much stock and know whether you prefer stock R or S - r flex may be better regardless because you should launch it a bit higher.   But also why are you convinced that you need two woods?  Do you hit your 3 iron well - people tend to hit either wood or iron better.  Have you considered a hybrid of some sort for that spot?  It's nice to have a hybrid in the bag because they are easier to use for bump and runs - gives you a bit more versitility in the bag.

Just some thoughts - enjoy!

No way I hit a 3 iron well.  That is an understatement.  I didn't know if I needed both woods.  Lowest iron in the bag is a 5 iron.  I just didn't know as far as the woods I listed if one has higher regards in forgiveness, launch, distance, etc. than the others for a 48 year total new beginner with a current swing speed just under 70 mph.

15 minutes ago, King_Bogey said:

No way I hit a 3 iron well.  That is an understatement.  I didn't know if I needed both woods.  Lowest iron in the bag is a 5 iron.  I just didn't know as far as the woods I listed if one has higher regards in forgiveness, launch, distance, etc. than the others for a 48 year total new beginner with a current swing speed just under 70 mph.

Welcome to the Forum. You're getting some good advice here so far. At the top end of my bag: driver 10.5*, 3 Wood 14.5*, then 2 hybrids 22* and 26*.  All of these clubs are set to standard lofts. I did have a 5 wood 18.5 in the bag  but my 22* hybrid was getting the same distance as my 5 wood and it was more versatile so I took it out of the bag. I know some don't or can't hit a 3 wood but I love mine (Cobra Radspeed). Based on the Shotscope tracking numbers this is the right combo for distance gapping for me  - but there was a bit of trial and error before I finalized the bag. Unless you get fitted, you might find, the same trial and error between woods and hybrids to get the right combo. 

BTW in terms of purchasing = I generally opt for new but previous year's models which are generally sold at a big discount.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The Cobra Big 3 in the rad speed sounds like a good one for you. The larger head is nice and you can find them used fairly affordable. I absolutely love the club, very hot face and easy to hit

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

2 hours ago, King_Bogey said:

A hybrid may be an option as well to gap between the 5 iron and the fairway woods or go from 5 iron to a high lofted wood like 7 or even a 9 wood

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

@King_Bogey

All good choices but the HL4 5 wood is overpriced. It wasn't expensive to begin with and is four years old at this point:

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/hot-launch-4-fairway-wood/2000000008224.html

If I had to make a choice for my bag between the clubs in your post, I'd go with 4+7 in the TE C522. Not because I don't like the srixon, but because personally I wouldn't want the shaft weight in my 4 wood to be lighter than the 7 wood. That's very personal though. Having both fairways look and feel similar might help as well if you're not comfy with FWs yet.

Cobra LTDx 7W 21.5°

Vice Pro

Arccos

Well, first off, let me say there is a lot I know about golf and equipment.  Then, I will say that there is tons I don't know about golf.  Hybrids are sort of "new" to me.  I have done some research, and I might be changing my mind on this fairway wood deal.  I was under the impression that the woods had a bigger head than the hybrids, so easier to make contact.  Maybe, maybe not.  If I am not mistaken, hybrids have a shorter shaft, thus more control.  I am totally fine with that.  I want to hit the ball straight and consistently.  I won't be upset or lose my marbles over distance.  I just want to play this sport and have it as less nerve racking as possible.

If you are thinking between hybrid and wood, you can also look at the Cleveland Hy-Wood.  Their XL Launcher woods were pretty good and had the big head that you referenced earlier, but the Hy-Wood is right in-between that wood and hybrid category.  Very easy to hit, and you can probably get a used one at a decent price since it's a couple years old now.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 10:12 AM, King_Bogey said:

It won't be difficult to find a really good 3HL or 4 wood with an adjustable hosel in your price range.  My favorite club is a 16.5* Titleist 915f 3 wood.  I can hit that thing with my eyes closed.  It also has the closest feel of any metal wood I've ever hit to that of a real wood.  I love the thing. 

Back when I was a beginner my favorite club was a 5 wood.  There was a time I literally used it on 18 tee boxes per round (105 yds par 3's up to 600 yd par 5's).  I now tend to balloon the 5 wood so it doesn't have a place in my bag.  My advice to you is find the club you can trustworthily hit the farthest and use it as your longest fairway club or fairway finder club.

Driver: Cobra AeroJet 9* @ 7.5* PX Hazardous Black 5.5

3 wood: Titleist 915f @ 14.25* MCA Diamana Blue R

Hybrids: Callaway Apex 17* and 21* Srixon ZX 23* driving iron

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 105R

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 52/10, 56/14, 60/14 Nippon 115

Putter: EVNROLL ER 2.2

Ball: Wilson Triad