Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How long do you play the same golf ball?

I typically keep a new ball until I have a pretty definitive scuff mark. I’ve played a whole round a few times with the same ball and shot in the high 70s low 80s. Sometimes I’ll switch the ball if I see it fly funny or act differently than how the shot felt. But in most cases I keep the lucky ball until I lose or it’s damaged.

Just a Texas dude chasing white balls

Wow guys - definitely didn't expect so much participation in this thread! Thank you for all of those who responded and I really appreciate the wide range of handicap players AND range of locations. I was surprised to read how much fall came into play and am personally a little worried once that time comes around this season out here in Colorado. I have read all of your responses (at least from before I posted this message) and will definitely use the aggregate of your experiences towards my testing for the OnCore X2 balls.

Also, welcome to all of the newer members who commented! 

:callaway-small: Rogue MAX LS 9° (set to +1°)

:callaway-small: Rogue Max 3W 15°

:callaway-small:Apex UW 19°

:taylormade-small: p770 w/ Project X 6.5 (4-AW)

:callaway-small: Jaws Full-Toe Black 54° & 60°

:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"

:taylormade-small: TP5x 

In my balata days, 3 or 4 holes max. For Discussion later is why spell check on a golf forum wants to autocorrect to blatant.

Current, on a good, normal day, one ball, whole round.  Maybe 1/3 of rounds I lose a ball or two according to water hazards in play or how deep leaves are along tree line.

Yes, I find more (TM Cway Srixon) than AVX  lost. 

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

A ball last me maybe 3 or 4 holes if I’m lucky. Lol. 

In all seriousness when I do have a ball that makes it through a round I normally will keep using it. 

WITB:

Driver - Titleist 917 D2

3W - Titleist 917 F2

3H - Titleist 818 H1

4-PW - Callaway Mavrik Max

52/56/60 - Callaway Mack Daddy CB

Putter - Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3

Bag - Nike Air Hybrid

Ball - Trying out different ones

I will use the ball until it gets some scuff or cut marks on it. It does affect the flight when the ball has some external damage to it and I need all the help I can get. But usually I can play a ball for most of a round before switching it out. 

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9Deg, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

TaylorMade SIM2 3 Wood 15 Deg

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue - 3 19 Deg

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW

Vokey SM9 Wedges 48, 52, and 58 Deg

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 ( Still have my Fastback No. 1, it is in time out for a bit!)

All carried around in a customized Ping Hoofer Carry bag!

Check out my YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/@maddenbarnes

My swing in slo-mo:

I think 3 rounds is about the most I can get out of a ball before it just gets too beat up looking and I donate it to the First Tee barrel we have a the club. It's either that or I lose it before that point. I primarily use Bridgestone B XRS or Vice Pro Balls. The Vice seem to be a bit more durable and last little longer but 3 rounds is about it on average for me. 

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

As far as lost balls are concerned, I don't keep track or fret over it.  Some rounds are better than others and when they're gone it's on to the next shot. I think it's inevitable that the difficulty and/or amount of hazards are definitely a factor but each course is different and each day I'm different so as they says "Que sera sera"

I never think about changing a ball due to a hole with a hazard, OB, etc., I just play them all the same.

Lastly, I will play the same ball as long as the cover is good.  If there are no scuffs or anything marring the cover it's in play till that happens or I lose it. Today's balls are not like the balata balls of old which would lose their shape after a certain number of shots or holes.

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

I've gone through several balls on the same hole so durability has never been a concern for me.  I've gone about 30 holes with the same ball once and it was holding up well before I topped it straight into the water. 🤷

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I’ll play the same ball until either I lose it, or it has visible damage (bad cut or scuffing).  That can be three or four rounds.  I’m playing OnCore balls as well and they are just as durable as the Titlist and Calloway balls that I was playing.  

🙂

I generally play the same ball until its  scuffed or lost. The longest a ball has ever lasted, was 99 holes (a noodle long & soft which I love). The shortest, one swing and it’s normally a brand new Titleist. 

I have used a ball for as many as 4 rounds, it all depends on the durability.  No cart path hit, no bunker shots or other damages.

I don't usually lose a ball, so that is not an issue.  Oklahoma does get very windy, so sometimes the elements play a part.

Richard D. Shows II

Driver: PING G400 Max, 9.5*

Fairway woods: PING 425, 14* and PING G Series, 16.5*

Hybrids: PING G Series, 3H (19*), 4H (22*), 5H (26*)

Irons: PING 425, 7-SW

Wedge: Cleveland RTX ZipCore (58*)

Putter: YES! Callie or TaylorMade Spider GT(New)

Bag: Sun Mountain CX1 cart bag (Red, White and Blue)

Balls: Titleist ProV1, Srixon QStar (&Tour), Callaway ERC Soft, TaylorMade TP5

Rangefinder: TecTecTec!

Depends on the make of ball. Titleist Tour and Callaway Chrome soft usually lasts 4/5 rounds, barring losing them but Srixon, cut-blue etc usually only 2/3 rounds.  Probably also helps that as a senior golfer I don't thrash the ball with every shot.😁

I don’t loose many balls. Some balls (pro v, and avx), chrome x, can last me 3-4 rounds unless I get a bad scuff. I am one of the that play Kirkland balls as well. However, they seem to degrade in playability after two rounds.

The Big Man

Until I loose it. Since the courses I play the most - have water that must be carried on at least 3 holes, I often happy to get by with 2 balls in a round. Some of the more difficult courses I play do not have water that is in play so I may be able to get through with one ball. Generally my drives are in play - just not long, so I don't worry about running out of fairway.

I change as soon as there is any sort of damage. Rarely use the same ball more than 2 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Madison bats -

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5*, Reg 55 gram Riptide

3W - Taylor Rocket Ballz 15* R

5W - Taylor Rocket Balls 19* 

Hybrid 22* Rocket Balls R, 25* Hyper Speed R

Irons - 6-P Titleist AP2 712 S TT Gold Hi Launch

W 52, 56, 60 Vokey SM6

Typically 3-4 rounds, if not lost in the woods or dunked in the water.  Minor scuffs are not a major issue as my game is recreational by choice.  Most rounds the same two I pull from the bag are the same two I put back at the end of the round.  I experiment a lot with brands (found balls) and am currently trying some Kirkland Signatures.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Depends how scuffed a ball is, not that picky.  Where I live during Covid courses took out ball washers, so after rounds washing balls will decide if becomes practice ball.        

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

This is tough to answer as it varies wildly from one day to the next. Some days my game is on and I would say I lose 1.5 balls a round. 

Some days my game is off and I use lose 4 balls meaning I put 5 into play that round. Difficulty of course also comes into play. 

It doesn't happen often that I am removing a ball from play due to wear and tear. I usually lose them before that happens. But I would say last year I had maybe 3-4 balls ALL SEASON that lasted long enough to have to be discarded due to gouges and scuffs. 

Great question though.

40 year old Canadian golfer. Driver swing speed 113mph. All distance no accuracy. 

WITB:

Driver - Callaway Rogue LS 9° stiff

5W - Ping g430

5h - Ping g430

Irons - TaylorMade p790 bent 1° weak and 1° upright with KBS $-Taper Chrome T 120 gram shafts (5-AW)

Wedges - Titleist SM9 56° 114F, SM8 60° 10S

Putter - Odyssey White Hot #5

My answer to this would be based under the assumption that I don’t lose any balls throughout the round, which is rare. But I usually try and use a fresh ball after 18-27 holes given there are no major scuffs from the bunkers, cart paths, or trees.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

23 hours ago, invee123 said:

I know there are so many different skill levels of golfers out there so I'm genuinely curious how long you guys play/don't lose golf balls while playing. Do you notice more lost balls on harder courses? Do most of you play the same ball when there's little to no hazard on the course? If you do play the same ball for multiple rounds, how many rounds do you end up keeping it? I am curious to know as I am doing the MGS OnCore X2 ball testing and I am curious to know how others value each individual ball not only from a performance perspective but a longevity one, since I assume most people aren't the most concerned with the durability of the ball after ~72+ holes of golf.

As for me, my local municipal courses provide just about 0 water and wide fairways, so I can usually get through 18 with 1 (maybe 2) balls. However, if I do make it a full 18 with the same ball it usually finds it's way in the shag bag after one round.

As long as the ball does not become damaged by a tree, cart path, etc., I will play it as long as I have it in my bag. That could be 2 or 3 rounds, 2 weeks, or in some cases a month or two.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

3 rounds is my limit, unless I lose it of course! I think with the amount of shots a ball takes, within in your round, it could vary. Of course, if it gets nicked/scuffed, then I replace it, no matter the time. I’ve noticed while practicing into my net, a new ball will last around 270-280 shots. Of course it will last longer, but cosmetically I can notice a difference in it. I hit 10 shots, with every iron in my bag when practicing. So that’s 90 shots each session. That’s how I came up with my numbers. On days that I play, I typically try to hit the amount I think I might take on the course. (Play it out in my head) Now, when you’re playing, it could last longer. You may not have many wedge shots a round, fewer wedge shots is probably going to extend the life of your ball. Also, take into account that you’re probably taking anywhere from  25-34 putts per round. That stress free on a ball. Guess it really depends on your skill level/HC. If you’re a high cap, that averages 95+, you may want to change it more often. But then again, you may not be able to tell a difference?! 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

Play the same ball until it doesn't fly right or I lose it. I play desert courses so not a lot of water and we can usually find them in the desert terrain. I haven't bought balls with my own money in years. Without even trying, I have 2 shoe boxes of found Pro V and Vice balls that we find while looking for our balls. One in three out is a good ratio for us. We catch and release all other balls back to the wild. Well, not Kirkland or Srixons that our buddy hits. But everything else. It is not unusual for me to play the same ball for 6-10 rounds. I lost a ball to a lake trying to stretch a shot yesterday that you couldn't see the number on one side, because it had been hit so much. Ball still played just fine, well, until it went in the water. I don't feel bad chancing a shot with a found ball that I have more than 4 or 5 rounds on.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Till I lose it or 3 rounds (whichever comes first)😆

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

Until I lose it. I find that scuffs and marks make no difference to ball flight, and balls are too expensive to be ditching them to the shag bag if there is a minor imperfection.

Exception - hitting a tree at speed (off the tee at fairly close range) or the cart path, which can put quite a scar on a ball; otherwise I will use it for the round and if I am lucky, more rounds.

• Titleist TSR3 Driver - 9.75 degrees
  • Taylor Made Mini-Driver 13.5 degrees
  • Ping G30 5 Wood
  • Ping G30 4 hybrid
  • Mizuno MP20 - MMC irons 4-PW - Nippon Stiff shaft, Z-grip grips
  • Titleist SM7 Wedges 50, 54 
  • Ping Cadence TR B65 Putter

I play courses here in SE Queensland (AUS), slope rated from 123 to 135, so yes, plenty of water and other "penalty areas". Generally it's considered a good round if you can finish with the same ball as you started with. Playing close to 200 rounds a year, I estimate to go through approximately 20 dozen balls. I would love to play top-tier models regularly, but it's just price prohibitive, so 2nd tier models it is. (TM Tour Response, Titleist Tour Speed, etc)

default_taylormade-small.jpgSIM2 Max-D Driver @ 10.5°

:cobra-small: 3-wood F-Max @ 16°

:cobra-small: 5-wood F9 @ 19°

:cobra-small:6-hybrid T-Rail @ 23°

:cobra-small: F-Max Airspeed 7 - PW Irons 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedges 48°, 52° & 58°
:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter