Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

2023 MGS Forum: Cobra 50th Anniversary Special!

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the TESTING POST links to go straight to the testers introductions, unboxings and final reviews!

Testing King Tour CB MB
@chisagTESTING POST - Page 11

@Tom the Golf NutTESTING POST - Page 12

Testing Forged Tec & Forged Tec X
@sirchunksalotTESTING POST - Page 12

@CFreddieTESTING POST - Page 12

Testing AeroJet Irons
@Jnoble89TESTING POST - Page 12

@JerryBTESTING POST - Page 12

CONGRATULATIONS TO TEAM 1!  Sam, Chris, and Jason are this year's Cobra Member Special Champions!

image.png

Which team is going win the Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is going to win the Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special?

• Team 1: chisag, CFreddie, and Jnoble89
    • Team 2: Tom the Golf Nut, sirchunksalot, and JerryB

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2023 at 03:59 AM

10 hours ago, chisag said:

... OK then. 114* today so I played the front in just under 1 hour and would have done the same on the back but ran into two twosomes on #16 and I came to a grinding halt. So who wants to partner up?!? I just had my coat tails professionally cleaned and there is plenty of room.

... I think this is the easiest of the challenges because if you pick the right 4 clubs you are never more than 1 club from what you may need. For instance choosing a 5 and an 8 you have 4i (5i) 6i  and  7i (8i) 9i while the wedge are more personal and what you use best around the green. That said I only had to chip 3 times and one was for an eagle when I hit my 5 iron over the green. Nice 15mph wind at my back and the ball was really flying in the heat. 

... So you can see where we need a par and some birdies wouldn't hurt. That said, anyone that wants to pair up there is no pressure and if you bogie every hole (or worse) at least we gave it our best effort! It is about the journey, not the destination. 🤗

4clubscorecard.JPG.5ad8ff6fa5b67aaea6fde72225a3f90e.JPG

I have to say... with the scores posted (myself included) during these limited club challenges... I am seriously starting to wonder why I am insistent on carrying 14 clubs in my bag.  

Great round Sam... and kudos for making around in that heat!!. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

I have to say... with the scores posted (myself included) during these limited club challenges... I am seriously starting to wonder why I am insistent on carrying 14 clubs in my bag.  

Agreed. Very impressive indeed across the board from everyone.

Small side note, but a very very veeery small part of me really does want to experience golfing in the arid, dry heat of AZ. 😆 Lol And just the mental fatigue of getting through a round in that kind of heat must be taxing as well. @chisag I've heard from other golfers that have played out there mention that a few courses have water stations at every or every other hole ... is that true?

What's funny is I remember working with golfers (coming in from NV, AZ and NM areas) that would visit the Ritz Carlton Grand Lakes Golf Club in Orlando in the heat of summer and how they would complain about being absolutely drenched in sweat after simply just warming up on the range and practice green before their rounds ... and then post round make comments about how they were surprised that they didn't hit the ball as far. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

1 hour ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

... Thanks, I am hoping to carry this over when my bag is full. I realize how a stock iron yardage can often get stock attention but having to compensate for more or less yards than normal requires enhanced concentration and focus. Giving every shot that same concentration and focus should be a goal in the future. It is mentally draining and sometimes tough to do playing 4 or 5 times a week in season just having fun with friends, but a challenge I will need to undertake. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

2 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

Agreed. Very impressive indeed across the board from everyone.

Small side note, but a very very veeery small part of me really does want to experience golfing in the arid, dry heat of AZ. 😆 Lol I have to just the mental fatigue of getting through a round in that kind of heat must be taxing as well. @chisag I've heard from other golfers that have played out there mention that a few courses have water stations at every or every other hole ... is that true?

What's funny is I remember working with golfers (coming in from NV, AZ and NM areas) that would visit the Ritz Carlton Grand Lakes Golf Club in Orlando in the heat of summer and how they would complain about being absolutely drenched in sweat after simply just warming up on the range and practice green before their rounds ... and then post round make comments about how they were surprised that they didn't hit the ball as far. 

... So true and playing in 114* heat with at least some wind, I didn't sweat at all. Or more accurately the sweat evaporates so quickly you don't ever really feel it. Drinking 72oz of water or more while playing and never needing a bathroom break certainly indicates I am losing water. Most courses have water at every other tee box and some of the higher end courses have large coolers with bottled water packed in ice and coolers on the carts packed with 4 bottles of water in ice. 

... There are several factors concerning distance. Fairways tend to be harder and faster in the desert so that's anywhere from 20-40 more yards. You gain about 2 yds for every 10* of heat so 114* in Phoenix compared to 84* in Orlando is another 6 yds. And Orlando has an elevation of 89' while Phoenix is 1,086' and that also adds a few more yards. Additionally the ball spins the same but does not curve quite as much so hooks and slices are slightly reduced. All of them combined means a Phoenix golfer playing in Orlando might be in for an ego deflating shock. 

*I find 85*-90* to be just about ideal all things considered. With low humidity it "feels" like about 75* back in Chicago so quite comfortable and you still get all the advantages of the desert. But 70*-80* for most is just about ideal and why so many have winter homes here. 

3 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

and then post round make comments about how they were surprised that they didn't hit the ball as far. 

... Just wanted to add I hit a very rare 316 yd drive yesterday. The combination of 114* temps, a 10 mph wind at my back, a particularly hard fast fairway and catching a downslope all combined for a miracle drive. I then flew my 5 iron just over the green to a back pin at 187 yds, a standard 4 iron for me. On an Orlando or Myrtle Beach level fairway that exact same drive ends up maybe 240-250 yds from the tee.  🙃

34 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Just wanted to add I hit a very rare 316 yd drive yesterday. The combination of 114* temps, a 10 mph wind at my back, a particularly hard fast fairway and catching a downslope all combined for a miracle drive. I then flew my 5 iron just over the green to a back pin at 187 yds, a standard 4 iron for me. On an Orlando or Myrtle Beach level fairway that exact same drive ends up maybe 240-250 yds from the tee.  🙃

Not my intent to highjack this thread and get it off topic, lol … but I really do regret abandoning the game while we were in Chicago from ‘09 to ‘15. Man, I really do. 

Had an opportunity to play Cog Hill and passed on the chance … and wasn’t aware of the Kohler and Whistling courses. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

13 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

Not my intent to highjack this thread and get it off topic, lol … but I really do regret abandoning the game while we were in Chicago from ‘09 to ‘15. Man, I really do. 

Had an opportunity to play Cog Hill and passed on the chance … and wasn’t aware of the Kohler and Whistling courses. 🤦🏻‍♂️

... Not hijacked at all MA. We are near the end of the Cobra Challenge and as I said earlier, I hope this becomes a place where we discuss everything golf. Or more than likely start a new one with the same MGS's that have made this such a fun daily read. And yea, sooooo many great courses in Chicago and it's a short drive up to to Erin Hills as well. So your emoji is very appropriate. 🤪

44 minutes ago, chisag said:

We are near the end of the Cobra Challenge and as I said earlier, I hope this becomes a place where we discuss everything golf. Or more than likely start a new one with the same MGS's that have made this such a fun daily read.

One thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how well y'all play once you start getting rounds under your belt with a full bag. So, I hope y'all continue to check in!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

2 minutes ago, TSauer said:

One thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how well y'all play once you start getting rounds under your belt with a full bag. So, I hope y'all continue to check in!

... I have been playing my best golf since the middle of last winter. It almost sounds silly to say this but yea, that will be the challenge. 

18 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

WEEK 4:  FINAL CHALLENGE - 4 Club (+Putter) Challenge!

Ok so *technically* I'm letting the competitors use all the clubs in their bag for this one, but they can only choose 4!  Since I feel bad, I'll allow them to have their new putters as well!

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE:

They need your help!  Our competitors are going to ask a partner to join up and play a round with them! (virtually is ok, and you do not need to choose the same 4 clubs).  Using your course handicap you'll compare your two scores hole-by-hole to come up with your best net score on each hole. Low team wins!

The teammate of our winning team will be this weeks raffle winner!  tag your favorite competitor and see if they want to pair up!

For Tracking purposes I'll update this post with our teams:

@Tom the Golf Nut and ?

@sirchunksalot and ?

@JerryB and ?

vs

@chisag and ?

@CFreddie and ?

@Jnoble89 and ?

@Tom the Golf Nut and my partner in crime @Bohnson are coming to kick some team 1 booty.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

4 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Then chipped in for a birdie/eagle on the next hole.

A what??? 🤣

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

L.A.B. DF3

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

48 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

@Tom the Golf Nut and my partner in crime @Bohnson are coming to kick some team 1 booty.

giphy(6).gif.178a62e7570c3de547a1b8f2e9c71d98.gif

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

L.A.B. DF3

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

... Well Tom every time I have posted a score I didn't think could be equaled, you have risen to the occasion! But alas today will not be one of those days:

170705113844-best-british-open-courses-jean-van-de-velde-carnustie.jpg.webp.a4ec13b82dcf3664cec2749acfdd1e64.webp

23 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Then chipped in for a birdie/eagle on the next hole.

... Isn't a "birdie/eagle" just like "around a 71"?  (this never gets old 😅)

1 hour ago, Ben Joest said:

Alright @Jnoble89, I did the best I could with 4 clubs and a putter…

IMG_0982.jpeg.d13b6bf68a03f1a960da068385fd4d55.jpeg

I’m gonna need you to net birdie 2-7, 9, 11-14, 16 & 18. No pressure, though 😂😜😂

This challenge was a lot of fun and I’m glad I got to participate. Good Luck!

Nice work! I will see what I can do but no promises! 🤣 playing Saturday morning and looping a 9 hole twice that I played during the woods and wedges challenge. Was going to play my home course tomorrow but they’ve got what they call the Diablo challenge and they make the pin locations absolutely BRUTAL and put a 4 putt max on every hole. I’m not about to play a round that counts for the challenge in those conditions lol. Saw some of the spots today while out with my oldest for his fundraiser round and they were like on the edge of the fringe next to bunkers. That would be disaster for me and my 22.6 handicap 🤣

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

@GolfSpy BOS you can book @Ben Joest as my P.I.C. for this challenge!

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

#LeftyGang

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Well Tom every time I have posted a score I didn't think could be equaled, you have risen to the occasion! But alas today will not be one of those days:

170705113844-best-british-open-courses-jean-van-de-velde-carnustie.jpg.webp.a4ec13b82dcf3664cec2749acfdd1e64.webp

You are correct. Today will not be one of them. I don’t play until the weekend. 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Played the AJ Max during scramble league tonight and hit a few rockets with it. Best one was probably 260-270 on a long Par 5 then just missed the green right from 230 with the AJM 3 wood 😍

#LeftyGang

13 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Played the AJ Max during scramble league tonight and hit a few rockets with it. Best one was probably 260-270 on a long Par 5 then just missed the green right from 230 with the AJM 3 wood 😍

Also didn’t have any left misses which was great. Had some right misses but they were straight and not hooks, just some pulls. All were in playable spots, too. Will play the TSi3 probably next week and see what I can do with that but was overall very pleased with the performance of the AJM

#LeftyGang

6 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

Alright @Jnoble89, I did the best I could with 4 clubs and a putter…

IMG_0982.jpeg.d13b6bf68a03f1a960da068385fd4d55.jpeg

I’m gonna need you to net birdie 2-7, 9, 11-14, 16 & 18. No pressure, though 😂😜😂

This challenge was a lot of fun and I’m glad I got to participate. Good Luck!

Also, just noticed that 3 of my birdies are net eagles, so that ought to help the score card @Jnoble89

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k 10.5° turned up 1°  w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3w::ping-small: 14.5° G425 Max Newton 6 dot

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

5i-PW:  :ping-small: Blueprint S with DG S300

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

2 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Also, just noticed that 3 of my birdies are net eagles, so that ought to help the score card @Jnoble89

... A 5.8 with THREE net eagles? Looks like CFredo has a new friend. 😱

Adult-female-bald-eagle-captured-with-a-rocket-net-1.jpg.695d781b24667f6aa1d6b19960ee15da.jpg

10 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Things are looking grrreat for Team 1, just saying.....

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

16 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Love it @Ben Joest!

#LeftyGang

1 minute ago, TSauer said:

... Was there really ever any doubt? 

images.jpg.c5a44dd4d67766c91b5b73ae3f2c191f.jpg

11 minutes ago, TSauer said:

I am pumped for my round Saturday. Was striking the ball quite well today and only had one left miss the entire night for league. 

#LeftyGang