Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Debating arccos or a garmin watch

My iwatch is close to needing replacing. Debating if I grab a garmin watch to replace it soon or if I go with arccos and just get a newer Apple Watch. Curious people’s opinions.

Note that I can get an arccos from a buddy for free cuz he uses a garmin watch and has an arccos he doesn’t use. I’ve heard arccos can really drain battery life especially when using with other apps.

Currently I use the Grint (love it) and track my clubs that way as all my buddies use the Grint when playing so we can all follow each other during our rounds.

Thanks in advance

I currently have a garmin watch (vivoactive) and have had the s10 in the past. Their GPS is phenomenal and I like they fact that its just ready to go. I upgraded from the s10 but actually like that interface a little better since its a no distraction golf GPS thats intuitive and crazy long battery. 

I have used Arccos a few years ago but never had an apple watch to use with it. I can imagine having the slope and wind numbers would be incredible on your wrist as well. Arccos does drain your phone quick and but im not sure what that would do on a watch. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I currently have a garmin watch (vivoactive) and have had the s10 in the past. Their GPS is phenomenal and I like they fact that its just ready to go. I upgraded from the s10 but actually like that interface a little better since its a no distraction golf GPS thats intuitive and crazy long battery. 
I have used Arccos a few years ago but never had an apple watch to use with it. I can imagine having the slope and wind numbers would be incredible on your wrist as well. Arccos does drain your phone quick and but im not sure what that would do on a watch. 

I know it would definitely drain my current watch far as I have a series 3 iwatch. With the garmin I’d be looking at the s62 which looks like it includes wind stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is a strong opinion and there are others who don't share it, but I wouldn't go anywhere near Arccos products.

My experience:

• Quality can't be a high priority as I had 15 sensors fail within 6 months. Sure they replaced them, but when it gets to that level of defect questions should be asked. It's a terrible experience when you pay for a product and most of the time you don't have a full set because of faults.
  • Functionality of the sensors leaves a lot to be desired. Even following their instructions to the letter, regularly consulting their support services, and trying four devices, the number of missed shots was diabolical. Typically more than half.
  • They make you jump through way more hoops to cancel your subscription than to sign up. I'm a firm believer it should be the same effort to cancel as signing up.

If you can try out a subscription without putting in too much money, it could be worth trying. I would advise extreme caution before investing larger sums buying devices specifically for using Arccos stuff.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

13 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

I know this is a strong opinion and there are others who don't share it, but I wouldn't go anywhere near Arccos products.

My experience:

• Quality can't be a high priority as I had 15 sensors fail within 6 months. Sure they replaced them, but when it gets to that level of defect questions should be asked. It's a terrible experience when you pay for a product and most of the time you don't have a full set because of faults.
  • Functionality of the sensors leaves a lot to be desired. Even following their instructions to the letter, regularly consulting their support services, and trying four devices, the number of missed shots was diabolical. Typically more than half.
  • They make you jump through way more hoops to cancel your subscription than to sign up. I'm a firm believer it should be the same effort to cancel as signing up.

If you can try out a subscription without putting in too much money, it could be worth trying. I would advise extreme caution before investing larger sums buying devices specifically for using Arccos stuff.

Thanks for this. I think I’m going to be going there garmin watch route. Apparently my dad has a buddy that is a garmin dealer and can get me one for a pretty good discount.

I too am having a falling out with Arccos. Subscription cost is high and having to replace sensors at a cost is a double gut punch. 

I would ask what you want to use the watch for away from the course. I love Garmin watches and have used them for years in running and triathlon and the golf features are awesome. But away from the course they lack a lot of the “smart” capabilities of an Apple Watch. I would consider a new Apple Watch and look at apps that might come close, I think The Grint is trying to add a lot to the watch app. Just my two cents. 

Ping G400 Max Tensei White 60TX
G410 LST 3 Wood Rotating
Cobra F6 Baffler Nippon 950FW
TaylorMade SimMax Rescue 22 Project X IO 6.5
Srixon Z Forged 5-9 Modus3 120TX
Cleveland RTX 4 46&50 Modus3 120TX
TaylorMade HiToe 56&60 Modus Wedge 125
Too Many Putters

I have no experience with Arccos.  I have used a Garmin watch, since my S2,   Now I have the S42.  It does everthing I need.  My personal feeling is that the stats, on each individual club, would be beyond my ability to execute anyways.  The Garmin tracks the club you use, and when you download the information into the Garmin app on your laptop, it tracks you average distance with each club.  As I said I don't know exactly what Arccos does, but for me for added cost, it seems a little more than what I need.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

9 hours ago, Yieeman said:

I too am having a falling out with Arccos. Subscription cost is high and having to replace sensors at a cost is a double gut punch. 

I would ask what you want to use the watch for away from the course. I love Garmin watches and have used them for years in running and triathlon and the golf features are awesome. But away from the course they lack a lot of the “smart” capabilities of an Apple Watch. I would consider a new Apple Watch and look at apps that might come close, I think The Grint is trying to add a lot to the watch app. Just my two cents. 

I mostly use my phone for viewing stuff like notifications, messages, alarms, daily activities like steps and that. Nothing crazy

10 hours ago, Mr Orange said:

Thanks for this. I think I’m going to be going there garmin watch route. Apparently my dad has a buddy that is a garmin dealer and can get me one for a pretty good discount.

Can't argue with discounts

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

I've never used Arccos but I did try the Shot Scope version for a while.  I found I was too lazy and inattentive to really get any value from the Shot Scope data.  If you like tracking your stats and don't mind putting some time into it, then a shot tracker is probably for you.  For me, a GPS golf watch provides all I need.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Another option to consider is the Shot Scope H4.  It's a combination GPS and shot tracking device.  Unlike Arccos, it uses RF tag so no batteries to worry about.  At $150, it includes the performance analytics and shots gained/lost for various handicaps at no extra cost.  At $150, you get the GPS, sensors and no cost analytics for less than a year's Accros subscription.   Currently, you can pick up a new one for $130.  There is a social media share function that you can share rounds with friends of even create private leaderboards for a virtual tournament. 

I was a tester for the MyGolf Spy review of the H4 and companion Pro LX range finder.  I've used both for almost a year and find them to be a great investment in my game.  It's worth looking into.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
3 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

Another option to consider is the Shot Scope H4.  It's a combination GPS and shot tracking device.  Unlike Arccos, it uses RF tag so no batteries to worry about.  At $150, it includes the performance analytics and shots gained/lost for various handicaps at no extra cost.  At $150, you get the GPS, sensors and no cost analytics for less than a year's Accros subscription.   Currently, you can pick up a new one for $130.  There is a social media share function that you can share rounds with friends of even create private leaderboards for a virtual tournament. 

I was a tester for the MyGolf Spy review of the H4 and companion Pro LX range finder.  I've used both for almost a year and find them to be a great investment in my game.  It's worth looking into.  

I’ll have to look into this. Ideally looking for a watch that I wear all the time. The one other idea was to just stick with Apple Watch and hope that grint adds more functionality to their app to where it is like a garmin watch potentially.

On 5/29/2023 at 5:24 PM, Blueberry_Squishie said:

My experience:

I got free sensors through TM because I had bought irons ad a driver within a year. Installed them and tried the free trial of the app and i took them off and cancelled after one round. For me the UI was not very easy to use and it seemed way too much for what I was looking for. The Sensors as well didn't quite feel as accurate either. I'm a simple man so the swing U app works perfect with my apple watch. I get the front mid and back yardages and usually it's pretty accurate. I used to have a Garmin but once i learned my watched worked as well, i kept using that.

:taylormade-small: Stealth driver HD 12°

:taylormade-small: Stealh 5 wood, all stock

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4i-PW, AW

:taylormade-small: hi-toe raw 56°

:taylormade-small:MySpyder gt putter

15 hours ago, Rockerdude said:

I got free sensors through TM because I had bought irons ad a driver within a year. Installed them and tried the free trial of the app and i took them off and cancelled after one round. For me the UI was not very easy to use and it seemed way too much for what I was looking for. The Sensors as well didn't quite feel as accurate either. I'm a simple man so the swing U app works perfect with my apple watch. I get the front mid and back yardages and usually it's pretty accurate. I used to have a Garmin but once i learned my watched worked as well, i kept using that.

Good to know. Ended up ordering a the new garmin s70 watch. Can’t wait to get it