Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

MGS Article - Ben Hogan Golf is Back!

IndyBonzo

This is a really nice article on the homepage about the return of Ben Hogan Golf by John Barba.

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/ben-hogan-golf-is-back-again/

I, for one, am enthused about this news.  As some of you know, I recently bought a vintage set of Hogan blades and have had a blast trying them out.  They are remarkably easy to hit for blades, and they really do feel super smooth.  Both the vintage and more modern Hogan blades are some of the most beautiful clubs ever made, IMO.  I don't need any more iron sets (he shouted at the sky, knowing it was in vain), but have to seriously consider getting a modern set of Hogan blades sometime to try.  There is so much history, and the clubs are such good quality, I really hope the "new" Hogan golf can succeed.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

How many times is this corpse going to be resurrected?

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Excited to see what they can do and be with this new ownership group. There will be plenty of hurdles and I'm sure skeptics, but given this company is working to restore other older brand names I think this could be a good fit. Especially if they still have some inventory to kick off. 

Time will tell and it's been an up and down road, but I really am hopeful!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have a couple of wedges from the last iteration of Hogan.  I really like them.  If the new company offers the same design, I will probably order a couple.  I was a forum tester for the new MacGregor irons that the same company is selling and was really impressed; so, I have hope the Hogan venture will result in good product.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 10/21/2023 at 7:40 AM, MattF said:

How many times is this corpse going to be resurrected?

As long as there is money to be made it’s likely easier to profit off an established brand than create a new name.

Their fate is likely written but the true value here is the ability to purchase the existing overhead at what is presumably pennies on the dollar.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

20 hours ago, bens197 said:

As long as there is money to be made it’s likely easier to profit off an established brand than create a new name.

Their fate is likely written but the true value here is the ability to purchase the existing overhead at what is presumably pennies on the dollar.

My understanding is it will be new clubs, not what was left. The company that makes the new Zebra putters and a host of other clubs is the "manufacturer". I use parenthesis because they are likely picking heads out of a catalog and having their name stamped on them.  

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 hour ago, MattF said:

My understanding is it will be new clubs, not what was left. The company that makes the new Zebra putters and a host of other clubs is the "manufacturer". I use parenthesis because they are likely picking heads out of a catalog and having their name stamped on them.  

HI Matt - that's not the case. They have the inventory left over from the previous iteration of Hogan and have some new stuff in the pipeline. Your comment about ordering stuff out of a catalog is true in regards to Ram - Simon told me that's exactly what they did and is how they can sell a pretty decent set of irons for only $400. The MacGregor MT86 irons are an original design by Austie Rollinson, who also designed the Zebra putters. 

The previous Hogan iteration's irons were also original designs- although the "updated" PTx pros were only an ever so slight alteration of the previous versions. The biggest difference there was cosmetic, as far as I could tell. Hogan itself did not have an R&D team on staff - they did outsource their R&D and design services to a US-based outfit and the latest model of Equalizer wedges was actually designed by Ronnie McGrath, who worked with Gene Sheeley at Ben Hogan's personal club maker back in the 80s. Those were definitely not open models chosen from a catalog.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

2 hours ago, MattF said:

I think you're right.  I was referring to the shafts, grips & assembly tools which I did not really specify in my response.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I loved and still love my PTxPros and I have equalizer IIs in the bag. The challenge with the Hogans is that seemingly each time they go out of business their next line of clubs become less valuable. This is an issue with many DTCs to some extent in that the resale value is significantly diminished. Even so, the PTxPros tested very well for me and have performed well for several years now. Hogan had very limited shaft options but that was fine as I fit into the KBS Tours okay. If their quality control is similar to how it is has been in the past, the clubs will be as well made and balanced as Major OEM irons. Also, their aesthetic has always been classic without being over simplistic which I like. Finally, the V-sole is excellent. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I currently have a set of the Hogan Icon irons and the Equalizer 2 wedges, both have been fantastic. I hope that when they do come out, that they have the correct pricing....they really need to stick close to what the other companies like Sub70 offer when it comes to price, performance and value. I will be keeping a close eye on Hogan, I really want them to succeed as I have been a Hogan fan since I started golfing in the late 90's. 

WITB (Current):

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10.5, Mitsubishi Kai'Li X-Flex (set at 9.5)

Wood(s): Ping G425 LST 3 Wood 15, Ping Tour 2.0 Black X-Flex 

Hybrid/Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 2 (18 degrees), Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome X-Flex

Irons: Ping i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: Fourteen RM-4, 50, 54, 58

Putter: Sub70 AL5 Armlock

Ball: Titleist Prov1x Left Dash/Vice Pro Plus