2024 Season Goals - What Say You?

My goal this week is to get my first game or two in this week. It's been a good 8 or 9 months since I was out on the links. And with working various security shifts, the challenge has been how to beat the heat. I noticed glimpses of solid playing last summer mixed in with garbage games. I'm certain that I will have opportunities to threaten 90 for 18 holes. Once I get my first game in, the other games will come.

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 std driver

F9 14.5 std 3 wood, 3 hybrid 19 degrees

Speedzone 4 hybrid 21 degrees 

F9 4-7, SW (UST mamiya recoil f3)

Speedzone 5, 8-GW ( UST mamiya recoil F4)

Adams Super S putter

Cobra stand bag

My current goal is to play as often as possible. I have got my handicap back to 8.5 and plan on improving that as much as I can.

Cobra LTDX 10.5driver

Cobra LTDX 3 wood

Cobra Aerojet 3 hybrid

Cobra King Tour irons 4 thru p UST Recoil 680 shafts

Cobra Snakebite 48, 54, 60

Cobra Vintage Stingray 40

Snell Prime 3.0

My Current Goal is to continue to develop and hone my new swing. Got lessons in the offseason here in MN and can tell there's been improvements especially with hip rotation in the back swing (used to be too much arms). The key is to hone the swing and continue to develop consistency. Iron approaches used to be a strength and it's turned into a weakness. Handicap has risen from a 4.8 to a 7.1 through this journey and I know most of the time with a swing change you get worse before you get better. 

For 2024 I had one main goal, break 90. But not only to break 90 once, to start consistently shooting in the 80s. The last few years I was shooting over 100 and I was finally fed up with it. I've been working a lot on my swing and focusing on control. I'm pretty good off the tee, hitting most drives between 260-285 and currently hitting fairways 53%. After my tee shot though it's been rough (and sometimes wet, lol). I'm happy to say my last rounds have been mid to low 90s and I'm getting closer to reaching my goal. With a little less than 6 months to go in the year, I'm confident I will reach my goal.

:taylormade-small: R11

:1332069271_TommyArmour: 3H 18°

:adams-small: 4i-PW XTD Tour

:titleist-small: SM9 52° & 58°

Top Flite Gamer Putter (Previous: Ping Anser from my dad, but he took it back 😠😅

PFM! Pure...Magic!

13 minutes ago, brodonnell17 said:

For 2024 I had one main goal, break 90. But not only to break 90 once, to start consistently shooting in the 80s. The last few years I was shooting over 100 and I was finally fed up with it. I've been working a lot on my swing and focusing on control. I'm pretty good off the tee, hitting most drives between 260-285 and currently hitting fairways 53%. After my tee shot though it's been rough (and sometimes wet, lol). I'm happy to say my last rounds have been mid to low 90s and I'm getting closer to reaching my goal. With a little less than 6 months to go in the year, I'm confident I will reach my goal.

Find fairways and then just work on that short game and putting and you only need to get near the green to make par or bogey. Keep the ball low when you chip and keep that lob/sand wedge and opt for a gap or PW. It's one of those things I didn't want to do, but once I went with less loft around the greens, my scores went down.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 8* w/Tensei AV White 65-S

Callaway Superhybrid 3 17* and 4 20* w/Steelfiber 75 FC

Ping i2305 4-PW w/DG 105g

TaylorMade MG3 50/54/58 wedges w/DG S200

Odyssey Number 10 Slant Neck

Maxfli Tour Ball

4 minutes ago, SDGolf619 said:

Find fairways and then just work on that short game and putting and you only need to get near the green to make par or bogey. Keep the ball low when you chip and keep that lob/sand wedge and opt for a gap or PW. It's one of those things I didn't want to do, but once I went with less loft around the greens, my scores went down.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going out to an exec either tomorrow or Saturday. Then playing Arrowood up in Oceanside the following Saturday. I will give this a go and see how it goes. (I'll practice the low chips at the range beforehand to get the feel).

Top Flite Gamer Putter (Previous: Ping Anser from my dad, but he took it back 😠😅

PFM! Pure...Magic!

9 minutes ago, brodonnell17 said:

Thank you for the advice. I'm going out to an exec either tomorrow or Saturday. Then playing Arrowood up in Oceanside the following Saturday. I will give this a go and see how it goes. (I'll practice the low chips at the range beforehand to get the feel).

Nice. I love Arrowood but haven't played there since I moved to Point Loma last Spring.

If you goal is to just break 90, Encinitas Ranch is the place to go. Lower slope rating and I've shot my best scores there. If you are right handed, just miss right and you are safe on all but a few holes. A decent 260 yard drive there sets up a lot of relatively easy approaches. That, and you don't have to hit driver on a few of the shortest par 4s.

Check out Dan Grieve's YouTube channel for the best short game tips. He transformed my short game. Here's a great video on how to play in dry, summer conditions.

Maxfli Tour Ball

On 7/15/2024 at 9:00 AM, GolferXY said:

My goal was to get back on the course after knee surgery, and I've achieved that.  So now my goal is improving my short game.  Still needs work, but it's getting there.

I had total knee replace, 10 weeks til chipping.  Rt thumb arthritis surgery, 8 or 9 weeks, til chipping; rt foot big toe fusion surgery, 8 weeks til chipping.  Recovery time is better if we stay in overall good health, hydration, Vit D for bone gro, and of course do all the phy thrpy .  I met a former state high school and state college champion still hitting balls at age 91!  Retired Admiral, had enlisted in the USNavy during WW2 at age 17. 

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

It wasn't one of my goals I posted early on, but I shot my pb on 9 holes today. 39!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Goal to score my age or better this year.

I'm 69 years old. This past Tuesday I shot a 73 with the senior group that I play with.

Edited by pineneedlespro
more information

WITB:

MALTBY TS2 irons Mizuno 54* mpt11 wedge Inazone 58* wedge

MALTBY KE4 tour driver  Ray Cook putter M1X

Integra #3 fwy.  SMT #5 fwy.

11 hours ago, pineneedlespro said:

Goal to score my age or better this year.

Nice. You know I never thought of that seriously. But since shoot 35 twice in the past month on 9 holes, maybe, just maybe, that is a goal to push for 18 and for my age. 18 is hard to walk for me anymore. Maybe do a half and half.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

On 7/16/2024 at 10:35 AM, SDGolf619 said:

Nice. I love Arrowood but haven't played there since I moved to Point Loma last Spring.

If you goal is to just break 90, Encinitas Ranch is the place to go. Lower slope rating and I've shot my best scores there. If you are right handed, just miss right and you are safe on all but a few holes. A decent 260 yard drive there sets up a lot of relatively easy approaches. That, and you don't have to hit driver on a few of the shortest par 4s.

Check out Dan Grieve's YouTube channel for the best short game tips. He transformed my short game. Here's a great video on how to play in dry, summer conditions.

I ended up getting out yesterday after work and played the Exec at Lakehouse. I wanted to update that what you said about using a PW and keeping low worked out great! My highlight of the round was on the par 4 hole 16; my 2nd shot landed about 20 yards short of the green and I was able to hole out for birdie using my PW using that strategy. 

PFM! Pure...Magic!

15 minutes ago, brodonnell17 said:

I ended up getting out yesterday after work and played the Exec at Lakehouse. I wanted to update that what you said about using a PW and keeping low worked out great! My highlight of the round was on the par 4 hole 16; my 2nd shot landed about 20 yards short of the green and I was able to hole out for birdie using my PW using that strategy. 

Love to hear it man! I know that hole and used to play that course when I lived in Encinitas.

Practice your knock down shots on the range with the same mentality. Say if you have a 90 yard shot, just take your gap wedge and make a 75% swing. It's much better than trying to hit a full lob wedge. To me, these are the shots that are harder to learn but think of it like a big chip. They also come in handy when you have to keep the ball low if there's a tree branch preventing you from going high.

Maxfli Tour Ball

I know one of my goals was to get the handicap below 4 and a few weeks back I did just that getting down to 3.9. Hoping to stay there but happy to have checked that one off!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 1/19/2024 at 1:24 PM, squirrel211 said:

2024 Goals:

- Shoot even par on 18 holes

- Shoot under par on 18 holes

- Shoot in the 60's for 18 holes

- Defend WNL title

- 3-Peat match play

- Win my Ches Cup points

- Win my club's 2-day stroke play championship (Shanahan Cup)

- Play MSGA Mid Am

- ******  Win Club Championship  ******

(this is the DREAM.  There are a few guys with + handicaps, including one on the Korn Ferry Tour.)

So,

I haven't come close to the "even par" goals, and I can't play in the Club Championship, MSGA Mid-Am or the Shanahan Stroke Play, so I have to scratch those off the list.

HOWEVER....

My team in is the WNL Playoffs as the first half champions.

I'm in the quarters of the match play tourney.

Chesapeake Cup is in Sept.

BONUS:   I had my first Hole-In-One on June 25th!!! 

Driver:  Callaway Rogue ST LS 9° w/ Mitsubishi Diamana XS

3 Wood:  Accepting applications!

5 Wood:  Mizuno STZ  w/ Fujikura Motore F3-8 XS

UT/Hybrid:  Titleist U505 #3 w/ KBS Tour PRO+ XS

Irons:  Mizuno 921 Forged 5-PW w/ KBS $-Taper 130

Wedges:  Ping Glide 4  50°, 56°, 60°

Putter:  TaylorMade Spider X

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2024 at 11:02 AM, squirrel211 said:

I haven't come close to the "even par" goals, and I can't play in the Club Championship, MSGA Mid-Am or the Shanahan Stroke Play, so I have to scratch those off the list.

HOWEVER....

My team in is the WNL Playoffs as the first half champions.

I'm in the quarters of the match play tourney.

Chesapeake Cup is in Sept.

BONUS:   I had my first Hole-In-One on June 25th!!! 

UPDATE #2

2024 Goals:

- Shoot even par on 18 holes  - can still happen!

- Shoot under par on 18 holes  - can still happen!

- Shoot in the 60's for 18 holes  - can still happen!

- Defend WNL title  - can still happen!

- 3-Peat match play  - can still happen!

- Win my Ches Cup points  - can still happen!

- Win my club's 2-day stroke play championship (Shanahan Cup)

- Play MSGA Mid Am

- ******  Win Club Championship  ******

*** Missed qualifying for the Championship flight by 1 stroke (shot 80).  Won my flight, shooting 73, 74, 78 and beating 3 guys who are truly better than I am.  Super happy with how I played after the first 3 holes of the qualifying round where I was 6 over!  I went the next 51 holes the same amount over par.....   I won my flight, so that kinda counts, right?!?  HAHA!!  I was easily the highest handicap that signed up, at a 7.2 when the qualifying round started.

Driver:  Callaway Rogue ST LS 9° w/ Mitsubishi Diamana XS

3 Wood:  Accepting applications!

5 Wood:  Mizuno STZ  w/ Fujikura Motore F3-8 XS

UT/Hybrid:  Titleist U505 #3 w/ KBS Tour PRO+ XS

Irons:  Mizuno 921 Forged 5-PW w/ KBS $-Taper 130

Wedges:  Ping Glide 4  50°, 56°, 60°

Putter:  TaylorMade Spider X

Long time for an update!

Finished the last round of the 4th tournament I had on my summer schedule.

This was the regular Men's Club Championship at McCleery. I shot a decent 75 on day 1 and was 3 back of the 14 time Club Champ and 2 back of the 2 time CC (winner of the last 2 and trying for 3 in a row)! By the end of the front nine on day 2, I was 2 back of the 2 time winner and ahead of the 14 time champ by 1.

After 11, I was still 2 back (+2 on the day) and had put some daylight on 3rd.

Then two bad tee shots in a row and after double double on 12 & 13, tourney was over for me. Ended up +7 on the last 7 holes and finished 4th. 

Bitterly disappointed! Golf, the humbler!

Got aggressive knowing I was close and got entirely out of rhythm.

Anyway ...

My results in the 4 tournaments: a win, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Not a bad summer of competition after not playing a tournament in over 17 years! Didn't play particularly well, but had some shining moments and some great shots.

Continue to learn about who I am and how to play this game. There's still time this year for me to shoot my age (66), 68 is the low so far this year.

Cheers & FORE!

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 54 years now. Still love it!

Driver - Callaway Rogue Reg shaft 10 degree (Circa 2018)

3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha 3 Metal (2014)

Hybrids - Callaway X-Hot Pro 16 and 20 degree (2014)

Irons - Callaway Apex Pro Graphite Shafts 4-A (2014)

Wedges - Callaway Mac Daddy 56 (2014) and 58 (2019)

Putter - Kayson Mallet 34" (2023)

Bags - Carry: Sun Mountain (2005) Cart: BagBoy Easy Rider Lite (2019)

Pull/Push Cart - BagBoy Compact3 (2019)

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

10 hours ago, Fore67 said:

Long time for an update!

Finished the last round of the 4th tournament I had on my summer schedule.

This was the regular Men's Club Championship at McCleery. I shot a decent 75 on day 1 and was 3 back of the 14 time Club Champ and 2 back of the 2 time CC (winner of the last 2 and trying for 3 in a row)! By the end of the front nine on day 2, I was 2 back of the 2 time winner and ahead of the 14 time champ by 1.

After 11, I was still 2 back (+2 on the day) and had put some daylight on 3rd.

Then two bad tee shots in a row and after double double on 12 & 13, tourney was over for me. Ended up +7 on the last 7 holes and finished 4th. 

Bitterly disappointed! Golf, the humbler!

Got aggressive knowing I was close and got entirely out of rhythm.

Anyway ...

My results in the 4 tournaments: a win, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Not a bad summer of competition after not playing a tournament in over 17 years! Didn't play particularly well, but had some shining moments and some great shots.

Continue to learn about who I am and how to play this game. There's still time this year for me to shoot my age (66), 68 is the low so far this year.

Cheers & FORE!

Mike

way to go Mike, sounds like a really solid year for you. solid finishes and a win... do you take some time off now or do you play social golf for the rest of the season?

committed to performance excellence

Season Goals: Break 90, drop from high handicap to mid handicap

Goals completed: Break 90 (twice!), 15.8 Handicap!!!

Screenshot_20240817_131612_GarminGolf.jpg.5f20f24ed31d8c5413a1a850f8ba7ea8.jpg Screenshot_20240818_115857_GarminGolf.jpg.f2f63e4062858f16d1b26e77b97c7ffb.jpg Screenshot_20240818_115937_GarminGolf.jpg.041ad521deda436c14d5198ec3ce3f86.jpg

image.png.695997e0ab2d273d1e9a6d9a59693008.pngWhat's In The Bag:

Bag:   image.png.79a211d0cf342e8c00f2d2c7969b1a80.png 2019 Fusion 14 Stand Bag                                                             Push Cart Mafia:  image.png.b59a1c1a2ab63e23e9cfc08d20037566.png 3-Wheel Golf Cart

Driver:  image.png.79a211d0cf342e8c00f2d2c7969b1a80.png  AI Smoke Max D 10.5* w/ Project X Denali Blue 60                    Hybrid:  image.png.79a211d0cf342e8c00f2d2c7969b1a80.png AI Smoke 4H(21*) w/ Project X Cypher 2.0 70HYB     

Irons: 5-PW image.png.b4ec8b1f2367ed37c1ad1bcb163545d1.png ZX5 MKII w/ KBS Tour Lite                                                    Wedges:  image.png.ef09dadd02c892716857ee9bf90993c6.png CBX 4 Zipcore 50*, RTX 6 Zipcore 54*/58*          

Putter:  image.png.6f232d68128a0864f020965748b290ba.png DF3, Green 65*/35                                                             Balls:  image.png.4b88007c7921e9a723765a29d110ca08.png Tour X                                                                           

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize                                                                      Tech: Garmin Approach S70

12 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

way to go Mike, sounds like a really solid year for you. solid finishes and a win... do you take some time off now or do you play social golf for the rest of the season?

Thanks Jim, in looking back, I'm really happy about the finishes, not so content with my golf, but that's the game! I will continue to play men's club and hopefully one other social round a week. Played 54 games so far this year, likely get up to 65 - 70 once it's all finished.

I do get one more tournament, that I hadn't counted on. I get a spot in the Champion of Champions tournament at Seymour late in September, representing McCleery as the Senior Men's Champ! 

I am NOT taking the clubs for a 2 week holiday my gal and I are taking to Barcelona and Portugal in 16 sleeps!!

Hope you've had a great golf summer!

Cheers and FORE,

Mike

12 hours ago, Fore67 said:

Thanks Jim, in looking back, I'm really happy about the finishes, not so content with my golf, but that's the game! I will continue to play men's club and hopefully one other social round a week. Played 54 games so far this year, likely get up to 65 - 70 once it's all finished.

I do get one more tournament, that I hadn't counted on. I get a spot in the Champion of Champions tournament at Seymour late in September, representing McCleery as the Senior Men's Champ! 

I am NOT taking the clubs for a 2 week holiday my gal and I are taking to Barcelona and Portugal in 16 sleeps!!

Hope you've had a great golf summer!

Cheers and FORE,

Mike

Good luck in that tournament, is Muncie still at McCleery? 

44 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

Good luck in that tournament, is Muncie still at McCleery? 

Thanks!

About Muncie, for now, yes. The City has put out an RFQ for management of the 3 city courses. We should all know if there is a change by October/November as the new management group would take over Jan 1st.

3 minutes ago, Fore67 said:

Thanks!

About Muncie, for now, yes. The City has put out an RFQ for management of the 3 city courses. We should all know if there is a change by October/November as the new management group would take over Jan 1st.

ahh, if you see him please pass on "hello" from Jim Shaw...

3 minutes ago, Fore67 said:

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Jim Shaw said:

ahh, if you see him please pass on "hello" from Jim Shaw...

You bet!

• 2 weeks later...

My goal this year is to Break 100.....stuck at 105 so far....just need to get things to click in the front 9 and I'll be golden....

My major issue is that my game needs 9 holes to dial in....regardless of how much warmup I take

:ping-small: G 425 Max 10.5 degree

:wilson-small: SGI 5W, 5H

:ping-small: 4-5 iron

:wilson-small: SGI 6-9iron

:wilson-small: SGI PW, SW

Pinemeadow 60 degree

:wilson-small: SGI Putter

:wilson-small: F.L.I. Golf Balls

#LeftyGang

I had to have a break from golf as my illness was causing me too much pain. Finally got it back under control so my goals are simple.

Try to play two rounds a week.

Hopefully bring my handicap back to where it was  - 13.7 currently 19.4.

Enjoy the walk and banter, if I happen to play well that is a bonus.

Lastly, try not to be too hard on myself.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 21Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Volkey 56 Degree  Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Titliest Pro V1

OGIO Woodie 15 Bag

MCI Zip X3 Electric Buggy