The Over 50 club...and it's issues...

Rob Person

As MOST would concede, the older we get the more challenges we face. Not saying we are old, (I most certainly think and act as if I am 20 years younger) but definitely a bit more restricted in certain areas.

What is/was your biggest struggle, and what did you do to improve or lessen the physical side of things that impacted your game?

My biggest challenge is limited range of motion on my backswing and upper portion of the follow through. This is due to a lead side shoulder issue.

I have only been playing a short while, and only once broke 90. So definitely in the high handicap territory. 

Now, to be up front, I am not fitted for clubs, shafts, swing speed,  etc. And I am sure that would definitely help in some of the areas that I have playability struggles. But I am not ready to bite the costs bullet on a new full set. And I doubt replacing the shafts in my 25 year old set of clubs will make that huge of a difference. 

I've tried quite a few different swing techniques, posture changes, hand positioning,  etc, to gain the best overall ways for ME to improve my game. And while its still evolving, I feel its a positive progression.

I've researched into taking lessons, but always wonder if they would be tailored to my limitations or their ego. Plus there are only a few coaches available locally to me, and they are much younger, and perhaps won't understand how to compensate for my issues. (I could be wrong)

So l would welcome all input and guidance.  Also would love to hear from others too.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

26 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Now, to be up front, I am not fitted for clubs, shafts, swing speed,  etc. And I am sure that would definitely help in some of the areas that I have playability struggles. But I am not ready to bite the costs bullet on a new full set. And I doubt replacing the shafts in my 25 year old set of clubs will make that huge of a difference. 

You might be surprised what can be gained from going from a possible incorrect club setup to one that’s fit to your swing. I’ve seen guys gain significant yards from an in fit to a proper fit.

28 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I've researched into taking lessons, but always wonder if they would be tailored to my limitations or their ego. Plus there are only a few coaches available locally to me, and they are much younger, and perhaps won't understand how to compensate for my issues. (I could be wrong)

A good coach regardless of age will work within a golfers ability or lack of mobility/flexibility. To lump in instructor is based on age or perceptions puts oneself in a hole from the beginning. Its already limiting or eliminating options fro the start without even talking to the instructor about their methods, what they can and can’t offer. 

As to the physical aspects and aging. Resistance training to include a squat movement, a hinge movement and a pressing movement are essential to maintaining or in some cases gaining bone density, despite the misperceptions lifting is good for mobility. Also doing mobility work is going to pay off for everyone. Being flexible is what many want but that’s only part of the story. You have to be strong in those positions too and that’s where mobility comes in.

You could search out a TPI certified coach if you need to see someone’s credentials in order to trust them. Getting a good physical therapist will also help.

Physical fitness is not an issue, as my choice in career requires me to stay in a working condition. 

I wasn't lumping in all coaches, just stating that their experience may or may not benefit my needs.  I spent quite some time on the Physical therapy side of things, and have maximized my capabilities on that regard. 

I agree a full fitting would probably benefit me, but have my questions about having to be re-fit every year as my dynamics and game potentially improve.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I’m late 50s so yes I am experiencing a few more aches and pains than I did in my 20s and 30s.   I fortunately swing golf clubs quite a lot so I don’t seem to have many flexibility issues and hit the ball pretty far for my age. 

IMO, lessons are a great way to keep your swing in check.  I agree with the above, instructors understand player limitations and all my instructors; even the young ones, have asked if I have any physical limitations…especially as I have gotten older  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

agree a full fitting would probably benefit me, but have my questions about having to be re-fit every year as my dynamics and game potentially improve.

The chances of having to be refit every year because of some dynamics of your game changing is extremely low. Unless some physical limitation happens like and injury or illness your swing dynamics aren’t going to change enough that would alter the specs that fit you. Despite lessons, some changes in movement in my swing, increased strength and physique my club specs and shaft specs are still the same from a decade ago. 

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

As MOST would concede, the older we get the more challenges we face. Not saying we are old, (I most certainly think and act as if I am 20 years younger) but definitely a bit more restricted in certain areas.

What is/was your biggest struggle, and what did you do to improve or lessen the physical side of things that impacted your game?

My biggest challenge is limited range of motion on my backswing and upper portion of the follow through. This is due to a lead side shoulder issue.

I have only been playing a short while, and only once broke 90. So definitely in the high handicap territory. 

I've tried quite a few different swing techniques, posture changes, hand positioning,  etc, to gain the best overall ways for ME to improve my game. And while its still evolving, I feel its a positive progression.

So l would welcome all input and guidance.  Also would love to hear from others too.

I turn 50 next May, so I have obviously been feeling the sting of age. My driver swing speed has dropped 5mph over the past 2 years, so there's that.

I'll offer a few tidbits to consider based on your original post.

1. Go get fit in your current state. You don't have to buy clubs at the fitting by any means. But get fit now so you're aware of your baseline as it stands now before making any further changes to your physical state. It's worth a few bucks to learn where you are and what types of equipment to consider and plan for in the near future.
2. Take the time to contact each coach that you have available and see if they'd be willing to meet with you or set aside 30 minutes to chat on the phone about their teaching methods and about your potential limitations and how they'd work with you. Ignore their age or potential experience, as that does more harm than good and shortchanges both you and the coach. You'll never know what they or you can do together until you take a minute to find out.
3. Find an app or a local gym that has classes around flexibility and core stability. Those two items are the most important to us as we age. Yes, weight training and building/keeping muscle mass is very important too, but think about all those older golfers who can't move or swing or turn or whatever. Their primary issue is flexibility, followed by stability, and then muscle strength. There are plenty of apps out there that have recorded classes that center on this type of need and can be very helpful. I'm going to utilize the free 30-day trial from the Peloton One App and utilize their Pilates/Yoga/Stretching/Meditation sessions along with the workouts to get myself moving again as flexibility is a major issue I'm dealing with (I've worked in IT for over 25 years and sit 8-10 hrs a day, which is really bad).

Once you look into these things, you should have a great idea going forward what you can and can't do and who you may be doing it with, both from a swing and exercise perspective.