Newton Driver Golf Shaft Review (2024)

GolfSpy_APH

8 hours ago, RedTop said:

I just joined this forum. Pulled the trigger on a Motion Driver shaft. Should be in late week. After reading all of this thread and other reviews , I had to try one. Looking forward to it. 

Welcome!  Looking forward to seeing what you think about it.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Quick fyi - took a few quick swipes with @Erin B 4 Dot (on Nebraska trip) which he had trimmed and tipped (forget how much).

Liked it - smooooth - but for me it's more like 3 or maybe even 2 Dot.

Great feeling shaft tho!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

46 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Quick fyi - took a few quick swipes with @Erin B 4 Dot (on Nebraska trip) which he had trimmed and tipped (forget how much).

Liked it - smooooth - but for me it's more like 3 or maybe even 2 Dot.

Great feeling shaft tho!!

I think the 3 dot would benefit you. I also think you should get fit for a driver. It’s so hard to justify buying a shaft without a fitting. In the last couple years I’ve tried so many drivers and shafts and have discovered imho that the shaft is the most important part of the club and that includes length and weight.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

I tried one during a recent fitting and they were nice shafts I almost pulled the trigger on one but was just a little tighter and further with a Ventus red and in the end neither was so much better than the stock cypher shaft I was using to justify the cost to me (saving my Christmas money for a lab df3).  I have slowly been collecting different profiles when I find them cheap online here and there and if a newton popped up on eBay in the $150 range I would snap it up to add to the rotation.

Patrick Dawes

Well , the Newton Motion was delivered today. I'll just give a brief note. Tomorrow I'll try to give a more indepth result. 

I swapped the shafts. Currently using a evenflow riptide stiff 50 gram. Played this morning. Putted terrible. Struck it fine. The range was being picked so no driving range time. Course was not busy so I grabbed my cart and went to the 18th hole. 

No warmup at all. Hit 5 balls. Stiff as a board so wasn't expecting to much. Boy was I wrong. First shot was a terrible swing. Low left. Heeled. 2nd shot was down the right side of the fairway.  Probably 5 yards from this mornings drive. Last 3 were piped. Trajectory was perfect. Carry was longer. Hit it , stiff from not hitting balls and driving , further than my gamer. Substantially further. And dead straight. Normal shot is straight , but I was expecting some curve. Nothing. 

Picked those up. Went to 17. Cut the corner over some cypress trees and had 87 yards left into a 380 par4. All 5 balls in the fairway. Shortest was about 100 yards from the green. 

So in 10 shots , I piped 8. Longer. Better trajectory. Carry was better. Now tomorrow is another day. Range will be open so I can spend some more time. Looking forward to it. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9*

Callaway Rouge ST Pro

Oddessy Rossie OG

5 minutes ago, RedTop said:

Well , the Newton Motion was delivered today. I'll just give a brief note. Tomorrow I'll try to give a more indepth result. 

I swapped the shafts. Currently using a evenflow riptide stiff 50 gram. Played this morning. Putted terrible. Struck it fine. The range was being picked so no driving range time. Course was not busy so I grabbed my cart and went to the 18th hole. 

No warmup at all. Hit 5 balls. Stiff as a board so wasn't expecting to much. Boy was I wrong. First shot was a terrible swing. Low left. Heeled. 2nd shot was down the right side of the fairway.  Probably 5 yards from this mornings drive. Last 3 were piped. Trajectory was perfect. Carry was longer. Hit it , stiff from not hitting balls and driving , further than my gamer. Substantially further. And dead straight. Normal shot is straight , but I was expecting some curve. Nothing. 

Picked those up. Went to 17. Cut the corner over some cypress trees and had 87 yards left into a 380 par4. All 5 balls in the fairway. Shortest was about 100 yards from the green. 

So in 10 shots , I piped 8. Longer. Better trajectory. Carry was better. Now tomorrow is another day. Range will be open so I can spend some more time. Looking forward to it. 

Good to hear!  Mine have been great for my swing. 

Well , I was going to post yesterday , but I hit it so bad it wasn't a fair test. Today was better , and I drove it well. Missed one fairway. This driver shaft is really good. 

If I really get after one it gets offline. Just a smooth swing , and Im hitting it further. My miss hits go about the same as my other shaft. Solid shots are definitely longer. 

The feel of the head of the driver really shines. The Riptide 50 gram stiff doesn't have that feel. Shaft loading in the Newton is a definite plus. Solid release and hit Flys. 

Trajectory is good. Today I made a real attempt to keep it a little lower. Worked just as well. So I don't see any more spin than my old one. I can work it either way. 

Gonna keep testing this week and see how it goes. But I really think this 4 dot Newton Motion is probably staying in my driver. It's got just enough flex that I belive it'll be the shaft I use for a few years. 

Maybe the end of the week I'll post final tally. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9*

Callaway Rouge ST Pro

Oddessy Rossie OG

6 minutes ago, RedTop said:

Well , I was going to post yesterday , but I hit it so bad it wasn't a fair test. Today was better , and I drove it well. Missed one fairway. This driver shaft is really good. 

If I really get after one it gets offline. Just a smooth swing , and Im hitting it further. My miss hits go about the same as my other shaft. Solid shots are definitely longer. 

The feel of the head of the driver really shines. The Riptide 50 gram stiff doesn't have that feel. Shaft loading in the Newton is a definite plus. Solid release and hit Flys. 

Trajectory is good. Today I made a real attempt to keep it a little lower. Worked just as well. So I don't see any more spin than my old one. I can work it either way. 

Gonna keep testing this week and see how it goes. But I really think this 4 dot Newton Motion is probably staying in my driver. It's got just enough flex that I belive it'll be the shaft I use for a few years. 

Maybe the end of the week I'll post final tally. 

Glad to hear it's working out for you so far. 

Received my exchange shaft on Saturday afternoon.  Of course the hurricane has gotten in the way of my trying it out.  Hoping things reopen by Friday.  Still getting storm bands coming thru Tampa area.  This storm has dumped a crap ton of rain on us.  Good news the lakes are all refilled so guess the gators are all happy again.  🤣

Ping G400 max    

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist  T350 irons 6-pw

Sub 70 JB 54 and 58 wedges 

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft  Just received DF3/accra

So I’ve read a bunch of these and my impression is that I should try 2 diff shafts to determine which works best for me? I believe their order page says they will exchange shafts if u aren’t happy with what u got. Am I mistaken? Cuz I wanna try one. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

58 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

So I’ve read a bunch of these and my impression is that I should try 2 diff shafts to determine which works best for me? I believe their order page says they will exchange shafts if u aren’t happy with what u got. Am I mistaken? Cuz I wanna try one. 

Yes. They'll exchange.  

Callaway Epic Speed 9*

Callaway Rouge ST Pro

Oddessy Rossie OG

I've played with it all week. It's longer. Flys longer. Rolls out well. I'm keeping it. Drove it well all week. Out of 70 fairways this week I missed 6. Got to every par5 this week. Not always on the green but distance wise I was well with in range. Prolly average 15 yards further. I'm sold

Callaway Epic Speed 9*

Callaway Rouge ST Pro

Oddessy Rossie OG

I ordered a 5 dot on Friday. I had no idea this thread was on MGS. I just read the entire 18 pages.  LOL I cant wait to try this thing out in my Aerojet LS. 

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

2 hours ago, Mike10487 said:

I ordered a 5 dot on Friday. I had no idea this thread was on MGS. I just read the entire 18 pages.  LOL I cant wait to try this thing out in my Aerojet LS. 

Nice!  Let us know what you think.  I love mine.  

14 hours ago, Mike10487 said:

I'll bet you'll be surprised 

Callaway Epic Speed 9*

Callaway Rouge ST Pro

Oddessy Rossie OG

On 8/9/2024 at 5:29 PM, RedTop said:

I've played with it all week. It's longer. Flys longer. Rolls out well. I'm keeping it. Drove it well all week. Out of 70 fairways this week I missed 6. Got to every par5 this week. Not always on the green but distance wise I was well with in range. Prolly average 15 yards further. I'm sold

It just has a different feel to it. 

Those are some impressive numbers!

18 hours ago, Mike10487 said:

I’ve been testing out a 6 dot in my Aerojet LS and the numbers are staggering. I was on a stretch where I hit 33/35 fairways and hit 13/14 yesterday. Granted, these were courses with wider than average fairways but I’ve been awed at how it worked for me in just a small sample size. Will begin formerly comparing the Newton to the Velocore+ the rest of this season. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+

On 8/12/2024 at 12:05 PM, Preeway said:

I’ve been testing out a 6 dot in my Aerojet LS and the numbers are staggering. I was on a stretch where I hit 33/35 fairways and hit 13/14 yesterday. Granted, these were courses with wider than average fairways but I’ve been awed at how it worked for me in just a small sample size. Will begin formerly comparing the Newton to the Velocore+ the rest of this season. 

I'm chomping at the bit to get this thing. I am a tweener 4-5 dot so I went to the 5 after catching up on all 18 pages. LOL. I don't know if I have ever hit 75% of my fairways. I have the RDX Smoke Blue currently and I do like it.

Edited by Mike10487

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

53 minutes ago, Mike10487 said:

I'm chomping at the bit to get this thing. I am a tweener 4-5 dot so I went to the 5 after catching up on all 18 pages. LOL. I don't know if I have ever hit 75% of my fairways. I have the RDX Smoke Blue currently and I do like it.

My initial results are boggling my mind. I know in part it is a result of playing wider fairways so I’m going to start tracking data with ShotScope to see if what kind of results I get when I play 30 yard wide fairways again on my local muni courses. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

1 hour ago, Mike10487 said:

I thought hard on the 5 dot. But , as I'm getting older , I figured I'd be able to stay in it longer.so I got the 4 dot.  I'm driving it good. Picked up yardage. Nothing really bad to say. It is as advertised. I'm still tweaking how hard I can go at it. If I really try to get after one I get a little spray. But honestly , that's more ego and being dumb. 5 dot may have delivered better but it wasn't worth it to me. I'm a smoother swinger. Never been long off the tee. But I could move it out to that 300 mark every now and then. I'm 61 now. 275 is a good drive. Really good. But 250 or so down the gut is fine. Enjoy it. Let us know how ya like it. Best wishes

Edited by RedTop

Callaway Epic Speed 9*

Callaway Rouge ST Pro

Oddessy Rossie OG

2 hours ago, Mike10487 said:

2 hours ago, Preeway said:

My initial results are boggling my mind. I know in part it is a result of playing wider fairways so I’m going to start tracking data with ShotScope to see if what kind of results I get when I play 30 yard wide fairways again on my local muni courses. 

1 hour ago, RedTop said:

I thought hard on the 5 dot. But , as I'm getting older , I figured I'd be able to stay in it longer.so I got the 4 dot.  I'm driving it good. Picked up yardage. Nothing really bad to say. It is as advertised. I'm still tweaking how hard I can go at it. If I really try to get after one I get a little spray. But honestly , that's more ego and being dumb. 5 dot may have delivered better but it wasn't worth it to me. I'm a smoother swinger. Never been long off the tee. But I could move it out to that 300 mark every now and then. I'm 61 now. 275 is a good drive. Really good. But 250 or so down the gut is fine. Enjoy it. Let us know how ya like it. Best wishes

Seeing good results from everyone is awesome. I'm a huge fan of them and don't see a switch happening anytime soon. 

I noticed and maybe it's just me, but the longer I used it those first handful of rounds the more it "woke up". 

5 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Seeing good results from everyone is awesome. I'm a huge fan of them and don't see a switch happening anytime soon. 

I noticed and maybe it's just me, but the longer I used it those first handful of rounds the more it "woke up". 

I would agree. The first 15-20 shots were convincing me it was the wrong shaft for me. But once I got the feel for it, it performed better than expected. 

2 minutes ago, Preeway said:

I would agree. The first 15-20 shots were convincing me it was the wrong shaft for me. But once I got the feel for it, it performed better than expected. 

You weren’t convinced at first, I was. I watched you play with it and knew you’d switch. Am I right?

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

36 minutes ago, Erin B said:

You weren’t convinced at first, I was. I watched you play with it and knew you’d switch. Am I right?

I’ll start tracking my stats here soon and report hard facts. I’m pretty sure it’s going to win a spot in my bag but give it another month or two and we’ll know for sure. 

8 minutes ago, Preeway said:

I’ll start tracking my stats here soon and report hard facts. I’m pretty sure it’s going to win a spot in my bag but give it another month or two and we’ll know for sure. 

Fair enough!

The newton shaft arrived at 6:30 last night. Not in time to run to the range. Unpacking.... Let's just say they didn't want it to get damaged! The iridescent paint is pretty damn cool. Pictures don't do it justice.  I'll hit the range later today and report back on the session.

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

12 minutes ago, Mike10487 said:

The newton shaft arrived at 6:30 last night. Not in time to run to the range. Unpacking.... Let's just say they didn't want it to get damaged! The iridescent paint is pretty damn cool. Pictures don't do it justice.  I'll hit the range later today and report back on the session.

Good luck!

Good morning, all. I played an early round yesterday with the normal Sunday group. The Newton was installed in the 9.0 Aerojet LS at 8.0 setting. The Newton felt really solid. I was off to a -1 start through 4 while hitting the first 5 fairways. Distance seemed a shorter than my normal shaft. I was playing a Z star TD, they are shorter off the tee than the Maxfli, but this seemed a little more than normal. #7 was my first missed fairway. This was caused by me getting stuck and probably hitting the worst block of my life! Ended up hitting 8/14 fairways. I felt myself starting to swing harder to keep up with the guys. The Newton felt so solid, and I love the paint job. I believe I could just play this shaft and be happy but, I believe I am going to send it back and try the 4 dot just for chits and giggles. After seeing a few shots on trackman, I am embarrassed by my current club head speed and need to start doing yoga and stretching exercises. So far, the Newton shaft is showing me how out of shape I am..... LOL More to come

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

30 minutes ago, Mike10487 said:

Good morning, all. I played an early round yesterday with the normal Sunday group. The Newton was installed in the 9.0 Aerojet LS at 8.0 setting. The Newton felt really solid. I was off to a -1 start through 4 while hitting the first 5 fairways. Distance seemed a shorter than my normal shaft. I was playing a Z star TD, they are shorter off the tee than the Maxfli, but this seemed a little more than normal. #7 was my first missed fairway. This was caused by me getting stuck and probably hitting the worst block of my life! Ended up hitting 8/14 fairways. I felt myself starting to swing harder to keep up with the guys. The Newton felt so solid, and I love the paint job. I believe I could just play this shaft and be happy but, I believe I am going to send it back and try the 4 dot just for chits and giggles. After seeing a few shots on trackman, I am embarrassed by my current club head speed and need to start doing yoga and stretching exercises. So far, the Newton shaft is showing me how out of shape I am..... LOL More to come

How was your launch? I just played yesterday with my gamer and it seemed really high when I did strike it well. I have thought of trying the newton but worry I’ll launch it too high. Hearing the stories of it helping tempo is tempting as my driver I seem to have the worst time with trying to overdo it. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review