Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putter Heads, Hosels and Toe Hang options

This is a bit of a curiosity question for all those putter builders out there (and I apologize if this has been asked before, the forums are getting huge and I couldn't determine if this question had been asked before):

Excluding Center-Shafted putters, is it possible to custom build a putter with any head type (i.e. blade, double-wide blade, half-mallet, full mallet, etc.), with any particular hosel type (Inline Slant, Short Slant, Mid Slant, Long Slant, Short Plumber, Long Plumber, etc.), and achieve any particular desired toe hang (obviously, putters with swappable weights will be able to achieve some measure of this)? How do all these factors combine to determine the final specs of any give putter?

Driver:                      Callaway_SM.png.2dbd21e0ea11e718241b305262731058.png  Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9.0° with Fujikura Ventus Blue 5 (S)

Hybrids:                   Ping_Logo_sm.jpg.bab5d82feeb6c1d1d269eaaef76a487a.jpg G430 3H/4H/5H w/ Ping Alta CB Shaft (S)

Irons:                      Mizuno_SM.png.79ebc3bf5a5ec19aa06f2821a4124811.png  JPX 923 Hot Metal HL - 6i - GW w/Fujikura Pro 95 (S) 

Wedges:                 TaylorMade_SM.png.224090fcebf3f2ce844f24e21b7ce40c.png  Hi-Toe 3 - 54° and 58°

Putter:                    Odyssey_SM.png.4e85ba988090a20cc755973ae2f75c8e.png  Ai-ONE Seven S Putter w/  FlatCat_SM.png.5c2b89b42629f36382f02c3455ef1102.png Fat grip

Ball:                         OnCore_SM.png.17951bcd1a597a2911ba64f199fd4f90.png  Vero X1

Rangefinder:          Nikon.png.a63f6ac8870a8c288ccc9f61454788f4.png  COOLSHOT PROII STABILIZED

Bag:                        Ogio_SM.png.0c28c8267d041ff62082aef4c42bb18a.png  Woode 8 Hybrid bag

2 hours ago, Duffer_E said:

This is a bit of a curiosity question for all those putter builders out there (and I apologize if this has been asked before, the forums are getting huge and I couldn't determine if this question had been asked before):

Excluding Center-Shafted putters, is it possible to custom build a putter with any head type (i.e. blade, double-wide blade, half-mallet, full mallet, etc.), with any particular hosel type (Inline Slant, Short Slant, Mid Slant, Long Slant, Short Plumber, Long Plumber, etc.), and achieve any particular desired toe hang (obviously, putters with swappable weights will be able to achieve some measure of this)? How do all these factors combine to determine the final specs of any give putter?

I am not a putter builder but have an understanding of putter design. 

Toe hang is directly related to where the shaft would intersect the topline of the head.  As you mentioned, CoG of the head will have a bit of influence on the exact toe hang you would get.   

So,  lets start with the basic straight shaft center shafted putter.  It is going to be face balanced.   Move that shaft toward the heel and you start to get more toe hang.  Move the shaft toward the toe and you get less to hang and actually get toe up.   

Now change the hosel.  Lets say a plumbers neck.  a short plumbers neck will have more toe hang than a long plumbers neck since the shaft to head intersections is closer to the heel with the shorter neck.   The hosel itself also a way to influence the heads CoG.  

Lie angle will also influence toe hand since it tweaks where the shaft would intersect the head.  Flatten the lie angle and it will tend to reduce toe hang.

Hope that makes sense,  hard to illustrate without pictures.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG