Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Shoot Your Age Thread-Tell Us All About It

Golfspy_CG2

I am 63 but have not shot a 63 yet , but i did have a 31 on one side just 3 weeks ago , possible by a long eagle putt on a par 5 and the short par 4 hole afterwards that is  315 yards , drove the green and and had a 8 footer for eagle but missed and had the kick in birdie ,all I can do is keep trying ! My best round ever was a 68 at Arrowhead Pointe in Elberton, Georgia.   

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I am 63 but have not shot a 63 yet , but i did have a 31 on one side just 3 weeks ago , possible by a long eagle putt on a par 5 and the short par 4 hole afterwards that is  315 yards , drove the green and and had a 8 footer for eagle but missed and had the kick in birdie ,all I can do is keep trying ! My best round ever was a 68 at Arrowhead Pointe in Elberton, Georgia.   

Great round at an awesome course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ole_gray1 said:

Great round at an awesome course! emoji378.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it’s one of my favorite road trips 

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot my age for 9 holes all the time. (38) Does this count? HAHAHA 

Taylormade Mini Brnr (11.5 degree) w/ Fujikura Motore F1 7x 

Taylormade Sim Titanium 3 wood (13.5 degree) w/ Fujikura Motore F1 7x

Taylormade Sim 3 Hybrid w/ Fujikura Ventus 7x

Titleist T-MB 6-4 irons w/ True Temper AMT white shafts

Titleist 716CB P-7 w/ True Temper S300 shafts

Titleist Vokey wedges - 60.4 / 56.10 / 52.8

Putter - Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #5 

Posted (edited)

According to Lou Stagner (Arccos statistics guy), I hit the ball 40 yards shorter than the average distance for my handicap.   A little downwind and hard fairway, I can get to 235 ... maybe.  Average is probably 205.

5.1 Index.  71 years old.   Managed to scrape out a 71 (-1) today from the Blue Tees at 6200 yards.  Differential of 0.7

Birdied 17 & 18 on Friday to shoot 72 at the same course, so I knew I was getting close.

Shooting Age Tierra Del Sol_5.12.24 copy.jpeg

Edited by BrianL99

44 minutes ago, BrianL99 said:

According to Lou Stagner (Arccos statistics guy), I hit the ball 40 yards shorter than the average distance for my handicap.   A little downwind and hard fairway, I can get to 235 ... maybe.  Average is probably 205.

5.1 Index.  71 years old.   Managed to scrape out a 71 (-1) today from the Blue Tees at 6200 yards.  Differential of 0.7

Birdied 17 & 18 on Friday to shoot 72 at the same course, so I knew I was getting close.

Quite a round, congrats on shooting your age!

Honestly though, I’m drooling over the 100% fairways hit!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

50 minutes ago, BrianL99 said:

Great round! Very nicely done.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

13 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Quite a round, congrats on shooting your age!

Honestly though, I’m drooling over the 100% fairways hit!

It's way easier to hit fairways, when you're only driving it 210-220.  I've average about 73% fairways hit, over the last 10 years according to GolfShot.  I should have learned to swing harder, I can afford to miss a few fairways.

3 minutes ago, BrianL99 said:

It's way easier to hit fairways, when you're only driving it 210-220.  I've average about 73% fairways hit, over the last 10 years according to GolfShot.  I should have learned to swing harder, I can afford to miss a few fairways.

I’m around 40% average right now and 250-270 distance…some of my misses are in trees, makes for a challenging round.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

21 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

I’m around 40% average right now and 250-270 distance…some of my misses are in trees, makes for a challenging round.

When you get old and move to The Villages, 40% goes to 75% with the width of the fairways.  You'll be all set!

43 minutes ago, BrianL99 said:

When you get old and move to The Villages, 40% goes to 75% with the width of the fairways.  You'll be all set!

Got a few years before I can get down there, and that’s if the wife agrees to it!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

40 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Got a few years before I can get down there, and that’s if the wife agrees to it!

(10) 27 Hole golf courses.
(3)   18 Hole golf courses.
(3)    18 Hole golf courses under construction.
(45) 9 Hole Executive Courses (free to play).

It's like Paradise.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2024 at 8:46 PM, BrianL99 said:

(10) 27 Hole golf courses.
(3)   18 Hole golf courses.
(3)    18 Hole golf courses under construction.
(45) 9 Hole Executive Courses (free to play).

It's like Paradise.

You’re about an hour and a half north of me. Great round!  My goal is to be able to post a round where I shot my age in this thread.

My career low was a 66 and I’m 67 so it’s time to think this way and a great incentive to play more and to be more focused when I do. I had cataract surgery the end of last year, started taking lessons again in February, got fit for driver and putter last year, irons and wedges earlier this month and the clubs that I was fit for between my longest iron and driver were fit five years ago and still work great. Now that school is out I have time - I’m putting in the work on what’s needed. The club that I moved over to is the last place that I broke 70.  

Ironically I’ve never shot a 67, one 66, a handful of 68’s, enough 69’s that I can’t remember how many but never a 67.  I turn 68 in October BTW - I feel like this is a race against time and health. Praying that God grants me both on this one. 

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do lobe reading thes and hope that I am still playing and can keep my scores below 80 until I  get there. Of course, if I ever shoot my age, before I turn 70, I'll be sure to post it here LOL.

Well, I guess I might be able to break 60 on a par 3 course, maybe 🤣

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

• 3 weeks later...

Every year, I like to play 36 on my birthday. We go play the tips at a tough course (~7k yards) for the first round and accept an ass kicking. Then, we go to another course and play the forwards or maybe the senior tees, right around ~4500-5k yards. Last year, on my 34th birthday, I managed to fire a 2 under 34 on the front nine of that senior tee round. Still only managed a 2 over for the full 18 tho lol.

Driver, 3w, (5w): TM Steath 2+

Irons: (3,)4-p - Adams IDEA CMBs

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 68, and shot 68 on a local par 70 course. I got off to a fast start, birdied the first hole and was -3 after 5. Finished the front at 33.

Back 9 was more of the same.  Picked up a couple of birdies in the first 5 holes, but missed twice from inside 10 feet. 

I can honestly say, I wasn't thinking about the score until the 18th tee. I was tuned in to the process, swing by swing. But on the 18th, I knew a bogie or better would get me a 68. I promptly blocked my tee shot, short right, was able get it close to the green but couldn't get up and down for the par. 

My goal met, the first and maybe the second round back at the club, were on me. 

As with most good rounds, I putted very well, 26 for the day. That was a year ago. Haven't been close to duplicating it,  but,  I've got a birthday coming up,  maybe 69 is a lucky number. 

I'm 68, I've played golf since I was 10. Any day on the golf course is a good day, even if it's not a good round. 

21 minutes ago, BK89 said:

I'm 68, and shot 68 on a local par 70 course. I got off to a fast start, birdied the first hole and was -3 after 5. Finished the front at 33.

Back 9 was more of the same.  Picked up a couple of birdies in the first 5 holes, but missed twice from inside 10 feet. 

I can honestly say, I wasn't thinking about the score until the 18th tee. I was tuned in to the process, swing by swing. But on the 18th, I knew a bogie or better would get me a 68. I promptly blocked my tee shot, short right, was able get it close to the green but couldn't get up and down for the par. 

As with most good rounds, I putted very well, 26 for the day. That was a year ago. Haven't been close to duplicating it,  but,  I've got a birthday coming up,  maybe 69 is a lucky number. 

Congratulations @BK89…nice round!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

1 hour ago, BK89 said:

Congrats on the round!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

Last week I achieved this milestone for the year. I shot a 53 on one of the 9 hole courses I play regularly.  

Based on where I started this year, 53 was a good score. I do hope to continue to improve such that a 53 is a bad day. This week I hit a personal best of 48. 

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2024 at 9:39 AM, DonB5750 said:

74 year old guy from Western N.C. with recent aortic aneurism and brain hemorrhage still going strong, can still hit drives about 210-220, but not hit my age yet, best I can do so far is 78. Working on it though....darn 3 putts ! 

At age 74 with those issues, congrats.  If putts are your problem, even tho yr 74, you might maybe try cross handed.  My guide to xhand is in Drills Lessons Mental Fitness section of MGS.  With face balanced putter and as close to straight as possible, almost no arc. 

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

• 2 weeks later...

I shot 34 recently on a quick 9 holes!

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: Cobra RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5°
Fairway: Callaway Paradym 3HL 16.5°
Utility: Callaway Apex UW 19°
4 Hybrid: Cobra KING LTDx 21°
Irons: New Level 480-TC (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)
Wedges: Edison Golf 2.0 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter: L.A.B. Golf DF3 34"/67°
Ball: Maxfli Tour (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

image.png.56906691354426f5afb59f8ee02b75a7.png

I sure will.  Watch for my post in about 10-15 years from now 😆

Great, now I have this and The Still Aceless Thread to complete. I did just check-off the first sub par round, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

I wonder what the statistics are on average age most players accomplish this.  I would think between 75-80, but dunno.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

image.png.56906691354426f5afb59f8ee02b75a7.png

I sure will.  Watch for my post in about 10-15 years from now 😆

Hah well you are in a good position to get there! Me? ..doubt I'll live long enough.... 

So I'll go with the old Bob Hope line: "Went out golfing to shoot my age .. ended up shooting my weight instead" 🤪

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

5 hours ago, Rbal said:

That is quite the accomplishment for @ole gray. Shooting 33 on a 9 hole par 3 course would be quite the feat for me. With more practice I think I can get there, or it'll just come to me as I get older. 

Getting older definitely helps your chances.  Hang in there partner and one day you'll get er done!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Shot a 33 on the north fork at Teton Lakes in Rexburg ID on July 15th. One of my rare good putting performances. 

Driver: :PXG:BlackOps w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60

Utility: :cleveland-small:  UHX Utility 18 and 20 degree w/

Irons: G through 6 :PXG: GEN5 T w/ KBS Tour 120 S

Wedges: :PXG: Sugar daddy II 52, 54, and 58 degree w/ KBS Tour 120 SKBS Tour 120 S

Putter:  :PXG: 33In Closer

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS