Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How to teach a beginner golf

Hey guys, my wife is interested in joining me at the golf course and wants to learn how to play. I've been playing (not very well) for the last 25+ years, so I'm not totally confident on how to teach a complete newbie.  What are some good resources to help her get started in the right direction? I'm talking the very basics of set up, grip, swing, etc. Youtube golfers or otherwise would be nice, but let me know if you think a proper instructor would be that much better. Thanks!

Take lessons with a coach. Shell learn much faster

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I would say it depends on her learning style and what she wants out of the game. Some people get turned off of golf if they go to an instructor in a formal more serious setting right off the bat. I think someone just starting out has more fun at the range first where one out every couple shots makes it into the air and they get that excitement. if you've been playing for that long and looking at your profile about a 12 hcp I think you have enough knowledge to get her started with grip stance and basics. From there you could move to par 3's or shorter courses and see how she does out on the actual and if she really loves it then move to lessons if she wants to work at it. I think the best thing you can do is make the game fun for beginners before you get too into the weeds of technical swing mechanics.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

18 minutes ago, Swood1994 said:

I would say it depends on her learning style and what she wants out of the game. Some people get turned off of golf if they go to an instructor in a formal more serious setting right off the bat. I think someone just starting out has more fun at the range first where one out every couple shots makes it into the air and they get that excitement. if you've been playing for that long and looking at your profile about a 12 hcp I think you have enough knowledge to get her started with grip stance and basics. From there you could move to par 3's or shorter courses and see how she does out on the actual and if she really loves it then move to lessons if she wants to work at it. I think the best thing you can do is make the game fun for beginners before you get too into the weeds of technical swing mechanics.

Yeah this is kind of the path I was thinking of going down. Maybe showing her some youtube videos from Me and My Golf or similar places, but just kinda winging it on the range for now. If anybody has any similar experience, I would love to hear about it. 

If you are going the video route of learning there are several golf pros out there on youtube that are very knowledgeable (Danny Maude, Rick Shiels to name some) That being said I do feel that the in person lesson will definitely benefit the most when it comes to brand new because they can get that instant feedback. I would say once the is comfortable out on the course to at least play then start possibly looking into the video route to more so start to hone the game more.

Donald Hura