Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

L.A.B. DF3 Putters - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@jbern - Main Post 

@MattWillGolf - Main Post 

@CFreddie - Main Post 

@Cfhandyman - Main Post 

@GolfSpy MPR - Main Post 

@Steve F - Main Post

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

labgolfputterfittingsystem1-1542x2048.jp

labgolfputterfittingsystem2-1542x2048.jp

labgolfputterfittingsystem3-1542x2048.jp

That's it @cnosil. The builder was locking the head down with an Allen wrench and the grip had a twist torque sleeve that locked. 
Thanks cnosil!

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                 3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                 Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand:  Wilson.gif.d7be7e11732484fb3c7959312e0e3bf3.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                    Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider / Tester:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                        Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

I just spoke with my fitter. It turns out that after my fitting he had a small vacation planned and was out of the office. He did answer my call even though he was still out and will be sending me the complete reports on both of the putters I tested last Wednesday. Looking forward to a closer look at the data and sharing it with everyone. 

image.png.ec65754993cb81a3d0a7d15c70ab8fd1.png  Anyday Maverick Black Ops 7-way

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Fujikura Motore X F3

:PXG:0211 Hybrid 3 19° w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:OnCore: Elixr 

:Clicgear: 3.5+

MGS Tester of the Week – Chris Frederick Profile

In a continuing feature of the L.A.B. DF3 putter testing, we are introducing the MyGolfSpy Tester of the week for the L.A.B. DF3.  Each week we will highlight one of the testers. The purpose is to highlight the great work they are doing, but also to get to know them a bit better.  This weeks, tester of the week is none other than,  @CFreddie

image.png.81b68b391539e051726606baed428e8a.png

Where he’s from:  Our mostly southerly testing, hailing from Atlanta, Georgia.

image.png.c0e4372ef0a89843098803eb51b15602.png

Who he is:   A very busy man with a young family.  He is also, together with @Javs, the year end tournament winner of season 2 of the VCT (virtual championship tour.  An experienced tester of the Cobra challenge, 50th anniversary special.  He is an engineer (Go Jackets), and has been drawn to the L.A.B. concept for some time, and has been a huge fan of Sam / the business    Prior to being selected, he obsessed over the idea of gaming the DF3 - a putter which he believe combines some of the best aspects of their other models, particularly the stated forgiveness of the DF2.1. 

@CFreddie – great fitting interview questions video with Calvin at L.A.B ( https://youtu.be/RegIAmzWCEY )

Current testing: 

image.png.96a0097fc9cf0242695dd8e00c80213f.png  image.png.8e8b39693b9f10447355dc0e114cf200.png

More live rounds -  His goal is to reach 10-12 rounds in the next phase of testing.  This is to be supplemented with putting green & home practice setups.  He is also planning to do a second "fitting" near the end of the test to capture more data across both putters.

image.png.f6f3b581350ff84d55c6851a221a49c6.png  image.png.d8eb22b17021be0b076b9a92f11c7cbd.png Latest round with the L.A.B. DF3

Edited by Cfhandyman

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

OK, my wife has returned, and it looks like we might have a few days without rain in the next week. The rain has been a major issue here: our course simply doesn't drain. Even on days when we can get out now, the rough is completely uncut, because the mower wheels would tear up the course. The greens, though, are in fine shape.

Played yesterday for the first time in over a week. My full swing is still a mess; it's not that the major movements are bad, but contact has been very, very spotty.

My short game, though, is rounding into peak midseason form. Yesterday, I had 8 shots from 0–25 (you get that when you hit zero greens in regulation). On average, I hit those 8 shots to 6 feet.

This, of course, magnifies the importance of short putting. And that continues to be (kindly) mediocre for me with the DF3. Let's roll the numbers:

Screenshot_20240611-100154.png

What you're seeing here is the damage to SG:Putting done by missing two 2-foot putts. On neither, though, can I blame the DF3. One of them I expected to slide to my left: I hit it exactly how I intended, and it just didn't move at all. The second was a putt following a 24 footer, and I was altogether too casual with it, never even settling into my stance. These two misses, both my fault and not the putter's, account for almost the entire strokes lost in the round.

Screenshot_20240611-100144.png

The round did continue the theme of keeping my total putt count low: 15 putts for nine holes. Again, much of that is attributable to my never hitting greens and having a usable wedge game.

Let's look at my overall Arccos puttings numbers, now through 63 holes with the DF3.

Screenshot_20240611-100216.png

The two most recent rounds haven't been great, but I'm still over a stroke better with the DF3 in my bag than I was the most recent 7 rounds without it. That's a good sign. And just as a matter of putts taken, the numbers are pretty spiffy:

Screenshot_20240611-100250.png

Although I'm still not gaining strokes at the clip I'd like, it remains a matter almost entirely of needing to make a few short putts a round. For having an ungainly-looking, counterbalanced putter, the conventional wisdom would be that my short putting would be awesome and my lag putting and distance control might suffer. That has emphatically not be the case for me:

Screenshot_20240611-100239.png

The further I get from the hole, the more like a scratch golfer I putt. Without having a few other DF3's to make the comparison, it is hard for me to say this conclusively, but my suspicion is that the benefits of the TPT shaft really show up here. The feel and feedback are very predictable, and currently my confidence is incredibly high on putts outside 10' that I'm going to give the putt a chance, and if not, that my next putt will be relatively stress free.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX E722 16.5°, Tensei AV RAW Blue 65 S
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 19°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 22°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:callaway-small: Epic Forged 7 27°
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 7–PW
Diamond Tour Inazone 3.0 50°, 54°, 58°, Aldila NV 95 Graphite
:L.A.B.: DF3, Counterbalanced 37", TPT shaft, Garsen Quad Tour 17"

Full WITB with pictures

I was out with Nemo (Orange DF3) today for 9 holes. The greens were aerated so there was that variable to my round. I had 17 putts for the nine holes today. That total was made up of two 3-putts, four 2-putts and three 1-putts.

The fitter from my Club Champion putter session returned from his time off and has emailed me the results from my session vs. my Evnroll ER11v. I will dig into that and post the results later. 

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

22 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

OK, my wife has returned, and it looks like we might have a few days without rain in the next week. The rain has been a major issue here: our course simply doesn't drain. Even on days when we can get out now, the rough is completely uncut, because the mower wheels would tear up the course. The greens, though, are in fine shape.

Played yesterday for the first time in over a week. My full swing is still a mess; it's not that the major movements are bad, but contact has been very, very spotty.

My short game, though, is rounding into peak midseason form. Yesterday, I had 8 shots from 0–25 (you get that when you hit zero greens in regulation). On average, I hit those 8 shots to 6 feet.

This, of course, magnifies the importance of short putting. And that continues to be (kindly) mediocre for me with the DF3. Let's roll the numbers:

What you're seeing here is the damage to SG:Putting done by missing two 2-foot putts. On neither, though, can I blame the DF3. One of them I expected to slide to my left: I hit it exactly how I intended, and it just didn't move at all. The second was a putt following a 24 footer, and I was altogether too casual with it, never even settling into my stance. These two misses, both my fault and not the putter's, account for almost the entire strokes lost in the round.

The round did continue the theme of keeping my total putt count low: 15 putts for nine holes. Again, much of that is attributable to my never hitting greens and having a usable wedge game.

Let's look at my overall Arccos puttings numbers, now through 63 holes with the DF3.

The two most recent rounds haven't been great, but I'm still over a stroke better with the DF3 in my bag than I was the most recent 7 rounds without it. That's a good sign. And just as a matter of putts taken, the numbers are pretty spiffy:

Although I'm still not gaining strokes at the clip I'd like, it remains a matter almost entirely of needing to make a few short putts a round. For having an ungainly-looking, counterbalanced putter, the conventional wisdom would be that my short putting would be awesome and my lag putting and distance control might suffer. That has emphatically not be the case for me:

The further I get from the hole, the more like a scratch golfer I putt. Without having a few other DF3's to make the comparison, it is hard for me to say this conclusively, but my suspicion is that the benefits of the TPT shaft really show up here. The feel and feedback are very predictable, and currently my confidence is incredibly high on putts outside 10' that I'm going to give the putt a chance, and if not, that my next putt will be relatively stress free.

I am finding that I am more comfortable and confident in putts that are in the 6 to 10 range. I’ve not yet adjusted to speed/distance on longer putts and I definitely feel I am missing more than I should on the shorter ones. On an unrelated note, I’m finding that Shot Scope is lacking when it comes to putting stats. 

Mid term Group Report card on the L.A.B. DF3

In a new feature, we asked our group of testers to provide their thoughts and comments to a series of questions in this mid term report card on the L.A.B. DF3Overall, the testers have been extremely pleased with L.A.B. golf, their professionalism and exceptional customer service.  All are honored and grateful to be part of the testing group.  Their was universal praise regarding the high quality of build and craftmanship of the L.A.B. DF3 putter as well as the feel and balance.  It has taken some time for some, to adjust to using the L.A.B. putter, but once done, some exceptional results.  And last but not least, the testers share their criteria for the L.A.B. DF3 going into the bag and will it go into the bag.  Here are the tester responses.  Enjoy.

Your MGS L.A.B. DF3 testing team

image.png.d234e397a720c5719a41cf3f8a33307b.png image.png.4e7737bf02c37674af7312b076e4012f.png   image.png.98ffb3850bad4530a4776e771c9e6b7d.png   image.png.90c03533278e58ff27f7af4cb867a255.png

Lab Rat                                                    Dory                                       Nemo                                             Chewie

image.png.a882f29d22322a041bd8f9930ae9d099.png      image.png.f47d8526a253c8cbe86b0f0d6bdf7659.png  image.png.b143ce5b75aff6f53efee6a91c18c083.png

Black Mamba                                          Shazam                                                   Green Lantern (Moderator)

1.  Thoughts on L.A.B, the company

@Cfhandyman, aka Lab Rat.  Exceptional to deal with, great customer service. A very high quality and premium putter.  The way, they went out of their way to expedite and ship the finished build. To receive the custom putter 7-10 days after order, truly exceptional.  I greatly appreciate the opportunity and am very grateful to test the L.A.B. DF3

@jbern, aka Dory.  I'm honored to be part of this test. They way that they communicated nicely and thoroughly to get me into something we both agreed would be comfortable coming from an armlock was top notch. Overall, I like the company's social media presence and that they are just letting the product and the technology promote itself.

@MattWillGolf, aka Nemo.  The opportunity to test this putter has been fun and I am extremely grateful for the chance to do so. L.A.B Golf offers a unique take on putting and putter design. Their lineup is definitely not traditional and may be off putting to some but if you enter with an open mind, it’s easy to see why this concept can work for many. The fitting process via video is pretty cool but if you are going to look spending the extra money for an “exotic” shaft then an in-person fitting would be recommended to really dial in the build. But mostly the fitters at L.A.B. Golf were great to work with and were helpful in advising on my putter's build. 

@CFreddie, aka Chewie.  First and foremost, its been a pleasure working with Calvin and the rest of LAB team - I truly appreciate this opportunity!  Have developed cult-like following (and for good reason) - the technology speaks for itself and Sam & team have built an incredible brand.  Super professional - responsive, attentive, and willing to answer any & all questions associated with their products.  Really appreciate their approach to "remote" fittings - its not perfect, but I believe it is an excellent way to get more people fit correctly into their products.  Obviously, going to see a certified LAB fitter is probably most ideal, but that's more expensive and not accessible to all people.

@Steve F, aka Black Mamba.  First and foremost, I am humbled and honored to be included with such an incredible group of testers, and from the bottom of my heart I thank L.A.B. and MGS for this opportunity!  L.A.B. was and has been awesome to deal with from the very start. They have started building, and I think with obvious good reason, a following that is starting to get some serious notice.  Sam and his team have taken technology and deposited it squarely into the design and manufacture of these putters, and it shows. I spoke with Mike at Club Champion, and he too, had nothing but glowing reviews for the L.A.B. line. I love the concept of the "online" fitting. That being said, I also believe, especially after my visit to Club Champion, that this shouldn't be your ONLY way to set up the putter. They're responsive, informative and more than willing to get you the information that you need to get setup and moving forward!

What has impressed you the most about or you’ve liked the best about the L.A.B. DF3?

@Cfhandyman The precision and accuracy of the DF3.  The overall, feel weight and the very smooth balance of the L.A.B.  Excellent face control as demonstrated on Quintic testing.  The fact that they take into account the head, shaft and grip as a complete unit and balance it accordingly.  Novel and unique.  The technology works as the revealer doesn't lie.

@jbern I was most impressed with the build quality of the putter from the grip to the shaft to the immaculately clean and beautiful DF3 putter head. I was also impressed with how good the putter feels throughout the putting stroke.

@MattWillGolf Feel, feel and feel. This is the best feeling putter I have ever gamed. While I can putt fairly well with my Evnroll ER11v, I never fell in love with the feel. I also loved the ability to customize the putter to my taste. The many color options are cool, and the shaft options further allow one to really fine tune their build.

@CFreddieThe build quality - everything is top notch from the machining of the head down to the headcover and packaging.  After a couple putts, its obvious that this is a "different" feeling product (more on that below) and I believe the technology is functioning the way its marketed. 

@Steve F First, the quality of the putter. The moment you take it out of the box you can tell that these are built with attention to high quality materials and craftsmanship. And that includes the packaging as well. The DF3 came well protected and insulated from any damage that could possibly occur during shipping.  The feel. I am comparing the DF3 ( hereto referred to as "The Mamba") to my current gamer, a Taylor Made Spider tour. You can feel what I've been calling the "crispness" of the ball at impact: the ball reacts immediately and decisively at impact. To me, the ball literally jumps off the face of the Mamba as compared to the Spider.  It does what L.A.B. says it will do: when you pick it up, you feel.... nothing. There is no twist, no torque to overcome.

What have you liked the least?

@Cfhandyman Initially distance control, putts kept coming up short as I adjusted. After that, its all been very positive so far.

@jbern I've had to change my entire putting approach/stance/grip to get the most out of the technology, which has been taking some time to get confidence with.

@MattWillGolf Having to adjust to my putting stroke and I also learned from my Club Champion session that I consistently aimed left of target with the DF3. I also learned an in-person fitting may have slightly altered my putter’s build If I had a do over, I would alter my alignment marking a bit to include a straight line extending down the rear half of the putter. 

@CFreddie The transition from my gamer to the DF3 has been a bitttt bumpy.  I attribute this to a slight learning curve needed to properly roll this putter.  Said another way, its breaking (possible) bad habits. 

@Steve F Truthfully, nothing! Still being very new to the game and not having concentrated on putting (like I am now!) I didn't have much to go on except feel.  I could tell right away that I liked the feel of the Mamba: it is solid, sturdy and gorgeous! 

Question(s) that still need to be answered

@Cfhandyman Distance control, speed/lag drills.  How important/sensitive is setup (e.g. ball positioning) in use of DF3?  Do I have to modify my setup, alignment or stroke to get the most out of the DF3? 

@jbern How long will it take to dial in my setup?  Am I aiming the DF3 properly? This will probably be answered with a fitting.

@MattWillGolf Improving my aim given the new knowledge obtained at Club Champion. And can I more effectively "un-torque" my putting stroke.

@CFreddie Will I become consistent enough with the DF3 to overtake my Scotty?  Initial results have been mixed, but I'm confident my decision will materialize soon enough.  Would love to understand how important specific setup items are to get the most out of my DF3 - hand & ball positions, grip strength, & ideal stroke tempo.

@Stev S. While I am becoming more comfortable and confident using the Mamba, will I be able to find the consistency that is so essential to putting? At this point in the testing, I am definitely more confident when pulling him out of the bag as compared to the Spider: I am slowly but surely dialing in the distance control, but do find myself lipping a lot of putts to the right side of the cup. This most likely due to me and not the putter: I'm putting the ball at the hole, just to the right of it. So, I have some work to continue progressing with the Mamba. 

Areas of improvement

@Cfhandyman Get more dialed in with distance control, particularly 30+ feet and just off the green, aka the Texas wedge.

@jbern I haven't been confident over putts from 12' and in. I believe this is due to thinking too much about my putting stroke and what I need to do for the technology to work. I think if I simplify things and just putt, things will improve.

@MattWillGolf I need to improve my putting in the 1-to-2-foot range. I have had some demoralizing short misses. LOL. I need to learn to “un-torque” my putting stroke. 

@CFreddie Overall consistency during a round - this comes with more practice & nailing my setup each time 

@Steve F Back to consistency. Again, this is me, not the Mamba. My visit to Club Champion was an eye opener for me: there is a lot I need to do to allow the Mamba to do it's thing properly. My setup, if it could be called that, needs to be better and consistent. That visit has encouraged me to look into the MGS archives and research putting improvement equipment, several of which are currently on order! 

What’s next in testing?

@Cfhandyman More on course data, to be reported in 3 round increments.  Next milestone is 12, then 15 and then 20 rounds of data.

@jbern For me it's going to be really getting going with on-course testing. To help with this, I've been working on my simple mirror/ruler putting drill to help dial in setup and tempo from about 15' and in.  I will also continue doing Exputt tests and challenges.

@MattWillGolf Getting more comfortable with using the putter and working on my aim. I will continue to practice green testing sessions from 5, 10 and 20 feet as I have done previously. This will improve my comfort with the putter as well track improvements in my putting. 

@CFreddie More live rounds - goal is to reach 10-12 rounds in the next phase of testing.  Supplementing my rounds with putting green & home practice setups  Planning to do a second "fitting" near the end of the test to capture more data across both putters.

@Steve F Once I'm able to get back onto the course, more data and time with the Mamba during live rounds.  Continued greens work with what I'm calling my "ring of fire." I set up markers in circles around the pin at 3', 5', 7' and 10'. First, I putt from those areas to the pin and collect the data. Then, I set up at 20' and at 40' and putt towards the pin and collect the data where the ball rests inside which circle.  Continued work with indoor practice and data collection.  I would also like to get back to Club Champion and do another fitting towards the end of the testing to do further comparison and see if there has been any notable improvement.

What have you liked the most about the testing?

@Cfhandyman The ability to focus just on my putting and to do a deep dive into how to improve my putting. i.e. What does really good look like, what I need to do to get there and then build a plan and action steps.  The opportunity to test the L.A.B. DF3 on Quintic against my reference putters at TXG and correlate the results to what I see on course via my Arccos data. To get input and feedback from other testers and users.  They all bring different strengths to the table.

@jbern I've really enjoyed putting a focus and microscope on my putting. I've also enjoyed getting out of my comfort zone with taking videos and interacting with all the other testers and forum members. Additionally, I felt pretty darn special getting the special treatment from the L.A.B. crew by getting expedited builds and shipping!

@MattWillGolf I enjoyed the fact that this process really “forces” to concentrate on my putting. I also enjoyed the process of testing the putter with the SAM Lab device. It offered insights that I would not have gotten on any practice green.  I can understand why it was requested for this test. Lastly and certainly not least getting feedback from those in the testing group everyone has been so engaged and supportive. 

@CFreddie I have REALLY enjoyed this group of testers - I think each tester is bringing a different element / way of testing that has been fun to track  Getting really deep in my putting practice - its always been an area that I've slacked in so its been fun to turn my focus to the flat stick.

@Steve F Being associated with an incredible and diverse group of people. Each and every one of the individuals in this group has helped me either directly or indirectly with advice, opinions and knowledge that I simply did not have due to my inexperience in the game. For this, I am eternally grateful and humbled!  Like @CFreddie mentioned, I am going deep into the putting aspect of the game, and I am thoroughly enjoying the journey! I have garnered so much information... I never began to imagine that there was so much involved in the putting aspect of the game!

What are your Criteria for the L.A.B. DF3 to go in the bag?

@Cfhandyman Performance and consistency, specifically, within 10 feet, number of one putts versus, two and three putts.  Less putts per round and/or improvement in strokes gained.

@jbern It's all about performance and confidence for me. If the L.A.B. putter continues to progress on the Exputt and starts to execute on-course, it's going to be in the bag for a LONG time.

@MattWillGolf I am not an overly competitive golfer. If the DF3 can perform on par with my current gamer and not necessarily outperform the ER11v then I will remain in the bag because of the feel, the design and the build quality. And given more time with the putter I would expect to see my putting with it improve. 

@CFreddie Consistency as measured by Arccos (S.G., # of putts per round, 3 putts, etc) & practice rounds (make %). 

@Steve F Consistency. I have data going back to 2022 for the Spider, so I have the average putts/hole, putts per round and putt counts to review and compare. As of this writing, the two clubs statistically are pretty darned close, but I have to say, the Mamba is starting to make moves toward being the one. 

Will the L.A.B. DF3 go in the bag?

@Cfhandyman In my case, I made an early call and it has gone in the bag.  This was based on impressive on course results over 10 rounds, exceptional testing results on Quintic, particularly its exceptional face control as well as my TXG fitters strong recommendation.

@jbern If I'm being honest with everyone, it's pretty much already in the bag because of the significant changes that I've made by going from armlock to the DF3. I can't imagine switching back and forth is going to be good for my game. If performance does start to fade instead of progress, I'll definitely be switching it out though.

@MattWillGolf There is a high degree of probability that this will remain in my bag. I was able to build something that looks great to my eye and feels great. 

@CFreddie To be seen, but I'm starting to see some positive trends that will lead to it staying in my bag 

@Steve F Right now, it's hard to say. The session at Club Champion has raised some questions that I need to look into and hopefully rectify, but that will be revealed in further work with some new practice tools and repetition.

Suggestions for L.A.B.

@Cfhandyman Please reorder of new headcovers or option to select another for a slight upcharge (Lab rat sold out in hours), so please bring back Lab rat or Lab rat and Pimento cheese for DF3. Pretty please or take pre orders?   Consider, revising the custom option to include the Accra shaft.

@jbern Have color matched stitching on headcovers that matches the color of the putter heads. I would also recommend having a fitting FAQ that includes reason why people would choose the various options they have available (e.g. If you are comfortable with armlock, the counterbalance option could help with the transition to L.A.B. Another example would be what kinds of putters typically choose the various types of grips). I think this would help people be more confident about their purchase.

@MattWillGolf Honestly, it’s little things. More headcover options like with the MEZZ putters and a custom alignment marking option as well. I really didn’t realize that was available at the time of the build for this test. I love the press pistol grip, but a blacked-out color option would have been cool. The Stability ONE shaft has a blacked-out look that I like. 

@CFreddie More "stock" headcover options - would have loved a couple different options to choose from.  Deeper dive on how stock & head options contribute to a "feel" that a customer would be looking for (right now they are marketed as separate things but I'd argue the combination of both will drive overall feel & success). 

@Steve F While I am a fan of the online fitting, I would also STRONGLY suggest an in person fitting prior to ordering. While it may be cost prohibitive for some, there are things and data points that you simply cannot get with an online fitting. 

Overall consensus at mid term:

@Cfhandyman Extremely impressive performance and a very high quality and premium putter.  The very smooth feel, weight, balance and the face control of the DF3 is outstanding.  I have been blown away by the performance so far.  This is an exceptional putter.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the testing opportunity, to work with such a great group of individuals and testers.  More importantly, it has allowed me to focus on my putting with significant improvement.

@jbern I've been impressed with the feel of the putter during the stroke. It seems so natural. I was underwhelmed at the beginning because the performance wasn't immediately better than my AL-6, but performance has been steadily increasing and I'm excited to see how good I can be with the DF3.

@MattWillGolf I may have expressed how much I love the feel of this putter. I also feel that with time I will get even more used to the best putting stroke to go with this putter. I recently read that practicing putting with a “thumbs off” grip can help with adjusting to letting the putter do the work approach to this unique putter design and really “un-torque” my putting stroke. 

@CFreddie Have thoroughly enjoyed this test & truly appreciate this community & L.A.B. for this opportunity. 

@Steve F Overall, I am tickled that we are associated with L.A.B. as they deliver on everything that they propose! The technology, craftsmanship and customer support are everything as advertised and I feel incredibly fortunate to have been chosen to participate in this test! I am clearly more confident with my putting and as I continue to learn the L.A.B. style, I feel that confidence level will continue to grow!

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

23 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

15 putts for 9 holes is very good.  Everything is trending in a positive direction compared to a 0 handicap and its only a matter of time and repetition and those short putts will be going in routinely.  

Played another 9 with my son this morning. The putting line:

image.png

Hit a lovely shot out of a wet bunker on 12 that went in the hole. That always helps keep the total putts down. On all the other holes, until 18, I kept having really good looks at one-putts, and they kept not falling for me. Ironically, the putt I made on 18 was a pretty wicked downhill slider, and that one went in.

All told, another pretty solid putting round: Arccos had me losing 1.6 shots to scratch (doubling its .8 to get to an 18-hole standard number).

The place that needs improvement is obvious: I just need one to two putts from 6–14' to drop per round:

Screenshot_20240612-094103.png

The overall putting, though, remains solid:

Screenshot_20240612-094138.png

Some updates:

• Hoping to wrap up all my indoor putting data by early next week.
  • Unfortunately, we're looking at more rain here, not only tonight, but most of next week. Our course remains a waterlogged swamp. I'm way behind on collecting the Stack putting data I hoped to get. I'm still going to do it before this summer ends, but it likely won't be complete soon.
  • The on-course performance, though, has given me zero reason to consider swapping the DF3 out of my bag any time soon.
  • I've acquired materials to work on my own custom headcover for Shazam. Please stay tuned...

Full WITB with pictures

I went out this afternoon for a putting session at my home course's practice green. It was a putter comparison between Nemo, the orange DF3 vs. my Evnroll ER7 this time. I will have to reserve putting too much weight onto this test as the greens were just aerated. I watched several putts track nicely to the hole only to be diverted at the end by an aeration hole. But both putters had to contend with this issue and it seemed to have more impact on the putts from longer distances. On this go round the ER7 edged out the DF3. 

20240612_192231754_iOS.jpg.2978642b6888d640dce7234a8dbb8920.jpg    20240612_192249119_iOS.jpg.4efa6b5fcdb9f3f4c0e171bcd011e4e8.jpg    20240612_192305513_iOS.jpg.4eacb5729b10e062107ae5a0842bb509.jpg

image.png.0cf60b969eb7e418a5e6dcae0b691e11.png

image.png.3843ae0a12fb55725a48632a86d108d6.png

Edited by MattWillGolf

48 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

I went out this afternoon for a putting session at my home course's practice green. It was a putter comparison between Nemo, the orange DF3 vs. my Evnroll ER7 this time. I will have to reserve putting too much weight onto this test as the greens were just aerated. I watched several putts track nicely to the hole only to be diverted at the end by an aeration hole. But both putters had to contend with this issue and it seemed to have more impact on the putts from longer distances. On this go round the ER7 edged out the DF3. 

20240612_192231754_iOS.jpg.2978642b6888d640dce7234a8dbb8920.jpg    20240612_192249119_iOS.jpg.4efa6b5fcdb9f3f4c0e171bcd011e4e8.jpg    20240612_192305513_iOS.jpg.4eacb5729b10e062107ae5a0842bb509.jpg

Love this data. As you yourself mentioned: this is a small sample size with some aeration variability built in, so you wouldn't want to make major decisions based on it. But let's suppose this data holds as a pattern, with the DF3 holding a slight edge on short putts and the Evnroll on the mid- and longer-range. Do you have on-course data that would tell you where you need your putter to help you most?

Full WITB with pictures

On Wednesday June 5, 2024, I had a SAM Golf putting session with John the Master Fitter at Club Champion in Victor, NY. Below are the results of that session. The session covered measurements of both the L.A.B. Golf DF3 and the Evnroll ER11v. Based off of the results John recommended a mallet putter with a length of 34 inches, a 68 degree lie angle, 4 degrees of loft and based on my putting stroke a putter that offered some toe hang. The ER11v provided the best results for my putting style. I am squarer at impact and my putts are closer to the center of the putter face than with the DF3.

DF3                                                                                                                               

DF3-1.jpg.b66165c6857ffed88118bea57db2252f.jpg 

ER11v

ER11v-1.jpg.768aded87a5bee47e4e0065805714369.jpg

DF3

DF3-2.jpg.771e67426ec23a81a30551c1b40a87e5.jpg   

ER11v

ER11v-2.jpg.c9505c05003436b06118f22200bb3ad1.jpg

DF3

DF3-3.jpg.9c4403321d1d7bb5c6040fbcd583927d.jpg   

ER11v

ER11v-3.jpg.c98f388c17716689b00c58b2687b1675.jpg

DF3

DF3-4.jpg.ef15dd44c59479f124e3415a334da5e1.jpg   

ER11v

ER11v-4.jpg.b2aea4d6f828cacb2c0c3b2a133fc064.jpg

DF3

DF3-5.jpg.b634ced83049110ec53b8a0b9078f74a.jpg   

ER11v

ER11v-5.jpg.3287f8e253d72d02b25861a2d96638ff.jpg

DF3

DF3-6.jpg.4ed42344935480046b78f00942966fe7.jpg 

ER11v

ER11v-6.jpg.c034a777f604701497e2da01cb58de0a.jpg

Edited by MattWillGolf
Formatting issue

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Love this data. As you yourself mentioned: this is a small sample size with some aeration variability built in, so you wouldn't want to make major decisions based on it. But let's suppose this data holds as a pattern, with the DF3 holding a slight edge on short putts and the Evnroll on the mid- and longer-range. Do you have on-course data that would tell you where you need your putter to help you most?

Unfortunately, I don't have good on course data. Putting stats with Shot Scope don't appear to be as detailed as what Arccos provides. And for some reason Shot Scope does have issues around the green at my home course. I have never been able to sort that out. Shot Scope tech support has made several attempts to correct this including updating the course map which they sent pictures asking me to verify some greens.

4 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Unfortunately, I don't have good on course data. Putting stats with Shot Scope don't appear to be as detailed as what Arccos provides. And for some reason Shot Scope does have issues around the green at my home course. I have never been able to sort that out. Shot Scope tech support has made several attempts to correct this including updating the course map which they sent pictures asking me to verify some greens.

Yeah, Arccos gives good stats on putting, but I don't know how good (if at all) it is about recording putts. I don't even have the Arccos sensor in my putter: I tag all putts manually after pacing them off. I want good putting data, and that's going to be the best way for me to get it.

Full WITB with pictures

Was able to get out for a quick 9 holes at a course nearby my house and I almost had the entire back nine to myself, so I decided to video the putts again. After two stellar rounds with Dory, this round brought me back down to earth a little bit. 20 total putts with 3 three putts, 5 two putts and 1 one putt. My proximity to the hole was very poor and some of the putts I had were breaking 10+ feet. I'll have to remember that I need to leave myself in better spots next time I play this course. Below are my detailed stats and the video.

image.png.c6a263a4bc9334239b65530ba6409773.png

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

8 minutes ago, jbern said:

Was able to get out for a quick 9 holes at a course nearby my house and I almost had the entire back nine to myself, so I decided to video the putts again. After two stellar rounds with Dory, this round brought me back down to earth a little bit. 20 total putts with 3 three putts, 5 two putts and 1 one putt. My proximity to the hole was very poor and some of the putts I had were breaking 10+ feet. I'll have to remember that I need to leave myself in better spots next time I play this course. Below are my detailed stats and the video.

Great stuff @jbern! I'm impressed that you have enough time to setup the video and break it back down without anyone hollering at you in the background! 

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                 3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                 Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand:  Wilson.gif.d7be7e11732484fb3c7959312e0e3bf3.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                    Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider / Tester:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                        Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

4 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Great stuff @jbern! I'm impressed that you have enough time to setup the video and break it back down without anyone hollering at you in the background! 

I was playing as a single, which helps that cause. The course was also almost vacant because rain was looming that never came. There were only 6 cars in the parking lot when I arrived and I only saw 2 groups from afar the entire 9 holes. I couldn't believe it either. 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

20 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

Impressive collection of data on aerated greens no less.  Well done.

3 hours ago, jbern said:

Great video.  Excellent foresight on your part to video this and take us on your putting journey with the L.A.B.  Well done and thanks for sharing.

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

6 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Man, oh man I want this! 

200.gif.0a3f80915ed126bdc12bc4c9e4a05b8f.gif

Edited by CFreddie

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

4 hours ago, jbern said:

I also took the MGS Forum Red Rooster glove for a spin! The fit is snug, but I hear that's how it's supposed to be at first and the feel is fantastic!

MGSForumgloveandDory.jpg.1912888512410256dfa93ecf928bcd78.jpg

GREAT photo! Agree on the fit as it started out very snug, but once you break it in it feels soooooo good. I don’t think I’ll be able to play another glove anymore lol

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X 

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Cobra Darkspeed X Driver Unofficial Review (link here)

On 6/10/2024 at 9:08 AM, cnosil said:

labgolfputterfittingsystem1-1542x2048.jp

labgolfputterfittingsystem2-1542x2048.jp

labgolfputterfittingsystem3-1542x2048.jp

Someone was actually selling one of these on Facebook in my local area a couple of months back.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB at 7.5°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour