My Tournament Season: 2024

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Off to a new course today. Golf club Ybrig

https://www.golfybrig.ch/

This course has been on my list for some time to play and is only fully open certain days as they do a lot of military testing in the area that closes off 9 of the holes. 

Unfortunately today looks like a decent amount of rain so got my Galway Bay gear packed, umbrella ready and more. In my flight there is a 34 handicap and 18 handicap so a little different than normal. I will admit in tournaments I enjoy playing with lower handicaps more as while it shouldn't matter when I see others playing well and good shots it leads to me elevating my game a bit. Not saying that I play down to my group, but I think we all enjoy when everyone is playing really well and going low. 

The course looks stunning which is a big part as to why I want to play here. The course looks challenging as well with potentially a few driveable holes and several that will require more precision shots off the tee. 

In the bag for this tournament is my Callaway Paradym driver (won't be in the main bag much longer with the GT coming). 
Cobra F7 3 wood and 7 wood. 
Mizuno MP25 irons while the TItleist get reshafted still. 
Vokey 45,49,53,57 wedges
LAB LINK putter. 

Confident with this bag for sure, especially the woods, wedges and putter. 
Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.05.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.05.31 AM.png

Not sure if we are playing off White or Yellow. Don't think it really matters either as the course is not overly long. 

image.png

So let's get into the holes and gameplan! 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.09.47 AM.png

Looks like a pretty standard par 4. Likely be driver, but could also be 3 wood off the first tee. No real trouble around the green so keeping things simple and stress free will be the key on the first hole to getting off to a solid start. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.09.51 AM.png

Pin placement will be important, but a short 3 will be another fun hole. I will probably take an extra half club just to be on the safe side. Depending on the tee that is going to be one of my wedges. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.09.55 AM.png

Hardest rated hole seems like a interesting fit after two seemingly easy early holes. Driver then a smart approach shot will be important and trying to error a bit right on the approach shot. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.09.59 AM.png

A long par 3 if we are from the whites, again not a ton of trouble. looks like a long a narrow green so some room front to back, but doesn't look as easy as the hcp would suggest. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.03 AM.png

Shorter 4, nice larger landing area about 210 meters so 3 wood will be the play here. Approach should be simple enough, just keep it in the fairway. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.07 AM.png

First par 5 with OB left. Avoid that and play it simple. Have a solid drive in the fairway could lead to a green in 2, but first find the fairway. Bunker in the front isn't a terrible spot I don't imagine at first glance. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.10 AM.png

Short 4, I think it will depend on the pin and feel but 7 wood, 3 wood or even driver could be an option. Again find the fairway, play it simple and make a good approach for potential birdie or simple two putt par. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.13 AM.png

Another short par 3, trouble short and left so take an extra club and be smart with the yardage. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.17 AM.png

Red stakes run along the right side with landing area opening up at 210 ish. A solid drive can lead to a good scoring opportunity. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.20 AM.png

This is a driver hole even though a shorter par 5. As the hole goes the OB fades off so getting the drive down will be important. Narrowing towards the green mean play it in 3 and just be simple about things. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.24 AM.png

A shorter 4 again, looks like playing a 220 or so shot off the tee would be ideal. Running long can lead to bunkers. 3 wood time!

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.27 AM.png

Well this hole looks like trouble. Definitely driver and then a brave second shot. Take an extra club as long is okay, short is not what we want here. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.30 AM.png

A good length par 3, not really any bail out area (sensing a bit of a theme) so again extra club can and will be necessary. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.34 AM.png

Par 5 to what looks like an elevated green. Driver will be good here and then second shot 7 wood or 4 wood leaving a wedge in hand for the approach. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.37 AM.png

The easiest par 3 and hole ont he course apparently. OB long and left and bunkers surrounding... play smart get a good yardage and just try to hit the middle of the green. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.41 AM.png

Finishing stretch with another short 4. 3 wood is the call here with OB left and just make a fairway and have a chip shot in. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.44 AM.png

If 3 wood has been kind then it may be another 3 wood here. Could leave 8 iron into the green. Driver would be idea as it would take that bunker out of play though....

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.48 AM.png

Again depends on the tees but either driver or 3 wood placement shot and have a wedge in hand for the final hole. 

Overall looks like a fun course with some different challenges... now time to get the bag ready, hop in the car and get to the range!

Great graphics... looks like tight fairways, sometimes hard to say from the pictures, when I 1st. saw the graphics I thought they had floodlights on the sides of the fairways but they are out of bounds stakes lol... I like your WITB at the beginning of your post, you sure carry a lot of wedges...have a great day...

committed to performance excellence

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Off to a new course today. Golf club Ybrig

https://www.golfybrig.ch/

This course has been on my list for some time to play and is only fully open certain days as they do a lot of military testing in the area that closes off 9 of the holes. 

Unfortunately today looks like a decent amount of rain so got my Galway Bay gear packed, umbrella ready and more. In my flight there is a 34 handicap and 18 handicap so a little different than normal. I will admit in tournaments I enjoy playing with lower handicaps more as while it shouldn't matter when I see others playing well and good shots it leads to me elevating my game a bit. Not saying that I play down to my group, but I think we all enjoy when everyone is playing really well and going low. 

The course looks stunning which is a big part as to why I want to play here. The course looks challenging as well with potentially a few driveable holes and several that will require more precision shots off the tee. 

In the bag for this tournament is my Callaway Paradym driver (won't be in the main bag much longer with the GT coming). 
Cobra F7 3 wood and 7 wood. 
Mizuno MP25 irons while the TItleist get reshafted still. 
Vokey 45,49,53,57 wedges
LAB LINK putter. 

Confident with this bag for sure, especially the woods, wedges and putter. 
Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.05.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.05.31 AM.png

Not sure if we are playing off White or Yellow. Don't think it really matters either as the course is not overly long. 

image.png

So let's get into the holes and gameplan! 

Looks like a pretty standard par 4. Likely be driver, but could also be 3 wood off the first tee. No real trouble around the green so keeping things simple and stress free will be the key on the first hole to getting off to a solid start. 

Pin placement will be important, but a short 3 will be another fun hole. I will probably take an extra half club just to be on the safe side. Depending on the tee that is going to be one of my wedges. 

Hardest rated hole seems like a interesting fit after two seemingly easy early holes. Driver then a smart approach shot will be important and trying to error a bit right on the approach shot. 

A long par 3 if we are from the whites, again not a ton of trouble. looks like a long a narrow green so some room front to back, but doesn't look as easy as the hcp would suggest. 

Shorter 4, nice larger landing area about 210 meters so 3 wood will be the play here. Approach should be simple enough, just keep it in the fairway. 

First par 5 with OB left. Avoid that and play it simple. Have a solid drive in the fairway could lead to a green in 2, but first find the fairway. Bunker in the front isn't a terrible spot I don't imagine at first glance. 

Short 4, I think it will depend on the pin and feel but 7 wood, 3 wood or even driver could be an option. Again find the fairway, play it simple and make a good approach for potential birdie or simple two putt par. 

Another short par 3, trouble short and left so take an extra club and be smart with the yardage. 

Red stakes run along the right side with landing area opening up at 210 ish. A solid drive can lead to a good scoring opportunity. 

This is a driver hole even though a shorter par 5. As the hole goes the OB fades off so getting the drive down will be important. Narrowing towards the green mean play it in 3 and just be simple about things. 

A shorter 4 again, looks like playing a 220 or so shot off the tee would be ideal. Running long can lead to bunkers. 3 wood time!

Well this hole looks like trouble. Definitely driver and then a brave second shot. Take an extra club as long is okay, short is not what we want here. 

A good length par 3, not really any bail out area (sensing a bit of a theme) so again extra club can and will be necessary. 

Par 5 to what looks like an elevated green. Driver will be good here and then second shot 7 wood or 4 wood leaving a wedge in hand for the approach. 

The easiest par 3 and hole ont he course apparently. OB long and left and bunkers surrounding... play smart get a good yardage and just try to hit the middle of the green. 

Finishing stretch with another short 4. 3 wood is the call here with OB left and just make a fairway and have a chip shot in. 

If 3 wood has been kind then it may be another 3 wood here. Could leave 8 iron into the green. Driver would be idea as it would take that bunker out of play though....

Again depends on the tees but either driver or 3 wood placement shot and have a wedge in hand for the final hole. 

Overall looks like a fun course with some different challenges... now time to get the bag ready, hop in the car and get to the range!

12-14 looks like a LOT Of fun 😊

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Okay - Tournament 6? of the season in the books.

Let's get into the course first. A really cool course, not long and had a rating of 129 and CHP 68.2. So not difficult, but really tight. The course is set down in a valley with towering mountains left and right. Waterfalls all around for the most part really quiet. The back 9 is normally closed during the week due to being on a military section where they do live shooting and more. There were bunkers (military bunkers) massive holes in stone from explosions and more... really cool. 

The course is tight! Not a lot of room left or right and that was obvious from the first tee shot. Trees hugging left and right with a dogleg to the right, for some who has gone to a fade not the most inviting shot. It rained the whole time, not a heavy rain just a firm mist/rain that meant the greens were stupid slow. Rooster tails flying off the golf balls while putting was the norm and it was hard to hit a putt too hard. 

The greens are also very small, half the size of the greens I am used to playing and a lot more movement with them. A great change and challenge. 

So let's get into the round! 

As i mentioned a dogleg right and really not a driver hole. It looks wide here but it really isn't  and there is a lot more room right than you can see on the overview. There is even a little church on the right hand side. 

I took 3 wood and laced one down the middle, had 106 m in and hit a 50 to 3 feet, birdie on the cards to kick off! 

We played for yellows btw, I guess with the handicaps whites were too far back. This hole played from the whites though and I played safe pin high to the right. The putt was tracking, but came up short. A comfortable par. 

This was a visually difficult hole. Where the tree is on the right it has another fairwayish area so it doesn't quite look ... I dunno. It is a weird setting. I hit a drive towards the trees on the left and was a bit blocked out. With a hanging lie I chunked out a 6 iron and made the mistake of getting too cute with my 3rd and left it short of the green, so rather than a simple two putt bogey I bungled it for a double. The putt I hit was solid and just went a bit low. A disappointing hole, but considering I only hit a good putt walking off with double should have been expected. 

This hole played 165 m (into wet wind) and I hit a nice high fade that started at the pin and just went over the bunker, unfortunately it didn't role down onto the green but still had a good lie. A nice chip to 3 or 4 feet and a simple uphill putt gave me a bounce back par. 

What isn't shown on this hole is a slight elevation form the tee and  another tree in the middle of the fairway. The right tree that shows near the 92 looks like it is a bit on the fairway as well. I ripped driver, middle of the fairway with slightly awkward lie and hit a wedge a bit fat and short. Was a bad shot, but I had noticed something chipping on the previous holes. I was getting a ton of spin. I took a 50 and hit this low spinner that went to less than a foot for another par. Felt like a missed scoring opportunity, but also a great par. 

This hole it was properly raining and this hole is tight. Almost comically, as someone who has been losing a lot of balls left this was not a comfortable shot with OB. I did hit the fairway slinging a big fade (don't call it a slice), my second shot was a solid 7 wood but a little right. It ended up right by the tree at the 70 meter marker. The wedge I hit was good, no complaints but left and just a bit short, still on the green though. 

The putt was a down and up, fairly straight 40 foot putt that never left the center of the cup for birdie. 

The short 4 is not driver, it just isn't. I made a key mistake in not getting my second rain glove for this one. I was on the tee and not comfortable with the bottom hand feeling a bit of slippage, but took the shot anyway. I went about 160 m and slightly behind the tree at 70 m, still a good view though and a wedge so no real harm done... till another fat wedge. It was unfortunate because I think in drier conditions I get away with these strikes, but also gives me something to work on. Regardless no bunker and a conservative chip to a 20 feet left me a chance at par. It was 4 rolls shy from dropping with perfect line. Bogey, but again not the end of the world there. 

This is a fun par 3, yes it is short but lots of trouble and the pin was only a few paces off the back. I hit a wedge to 4 and a bit feet (won closest to the pin on this one - spoiler). and proceeded to miss the putt. I knew the line, saw the line and just didn't commit to it. Was good speed but just tried to baby it in rather than just doing it. Oh well, another par which doesn't hurt. 

Hole 9 is an interesting one. The tee shot is not inviting as the red stakes are very visible the whole way up and while the crossing is too far up to reach it just isn't inviting as I said. A laced 3 wood left me 146 m to the flag. A good shot, but pulled a bit left me off the green and a bit short, a really freaking good spinny chip meant an easy tap in for another par. 

Count it up after 9 and just 1 over through 9. Felt solid and now time for a little bit to eat - sandwhich and some swiss chocolate with a broth drink really hit the spot on this wet a cooler day. 

So this is a much more interesting hole than it shows here. The grey is an actual road running through the fairway. Weird, but part of the course. My drive drifted left and hit the road taking a massive bounce, not sure where it was going or if we would find it I hit a provisional that did literally the same thing. Hard to do! 

Thankfully both balls were easily found, but definitely blocked out. The fairway just over the road slopes hard left to right and I managed to hit a 6 iron or 7 iron up to 100 meters. The approach from the rough came up short again (surprise surprise), but again another excellent chip left me a foot for par. Our playing partner got on a heater dunking an eagle from 115m which was sweet to see as he hit it just past the pin and it spun back into the hole. 

What isn't shown on 11 is the elevation change. It is similar to hitting into a wall. A 3 wood to 125 m and over the road was a good setup, but a severe uphill lie. The results 8 iron after a long delay (more on this at the end) was pulled to the right of the green and a bad chip with two putt was a bogey. This is probably the third or fourth hardest hole on the course if I was to rate it. Next time I am probable taking driver and trying to get further up closer to the bunker where it is a bit flatter. 

Now that we are up top a bit we get to hit down! I wish I had studied this hole a little more because I went off some assumptions and I got burned by it. The 3 wood off the tee was left of where I wanted, but not in trouble per say. I was blocked from the green, but had a good lie. Now knowing what I know now I am still taking my 7 wood but I am hitting it far right towards the fairway. From where I was I felt I had to fade it a bit around a tree and get it closer to the green. I wasn't aware of just how much room there was to the right. So I hit a tree and it went into the water. Sucks, but happens. The next shot was on the green, but 15 feet and two putt meant a double. Definitely a hole that is hard, no question there however the double was easily avoidable given a bit more course knowledge. 

Another shorter par 4, this one played 130 m from where we were. The 8 iron was a bit thin however worked out really well and was 8 feet from the flag on the green. I honestly don't know how this putt didn't go in. The water marks show it going over the edge on the inside of the cup, but it didn't. Another par which felt both good and bad after the prior hole. 

Talk about tee shots that are uninviting. Again for someone who hits a fade, not fun. All I really saw was the bail out area left that looked short and with trees and high grass. My plan was to hit the drive at the trees infront of me and left it fade back to the fairway - it was executed perfectly, the following 7 wood was equally great. 62 m to the flag on a slight uphill slope and hit it fairly thing or just hard... I really don't know but it came our really flat and went over the green to a near impossible lie up against some shrubs and rocks. A tentative chip left me short, then the next one didn't spin and was long before a 3 putt bogey. The 3 putt was rushed and I should have really tried to slow down. This was a blow up hole that could have been ... not this. 

A short walk up to the tee box shows a really cool shot. With mountains in the background the visual of the ball is fantastic and it plays a bit shorter than on the card. Pin was at the back with plenty of room short. This is not the easiest hole on the course, but a solid shot meant I was 30 feet  with a double breaker putt. The putt was misread enough to make a 5 or 6 foot putt for my second that dropped. 

Again another short 4, but not drivable today nor do I think it is the proper call. A 3 wood to 65 meters left me a similar shot as I had before. I tried to play this with a different club and a little different which worked out okay. It kicked hard right and was still on the green, but not close. The putt had perfect speed and had a late turn I didn't see so tap in par. 

Slightly elevated tee shot and a tree that is a good aiming point for me. Ripped a driver and was middle of the fairway. Job one complete, next shot was pulled just a bit, or maybe it was toey... either way a slight miss and left me hole high but off the green. Nearly chipped again and had a simple putt for par. While not stressful they also weren't the easiest of situations to put myself in. 

On a dry day and wind at the back I could have some fun trying to go for the green, not today though. I hit a perfect drive and had 116 m in. The green is actually well down and below the bunker and very long. That bad fat wedge reared it's ugly head again and left me in my first bunker of the day and well short of the pin. While I got out just fine and on the green I was well short and again rushed my process. My playing partners were on the green and I was scrambling around, left the first putt well short and missed the following one for a double to finish. Leaving a really bad taste in my mouth. Not saying it should have been a par, which it would have been, but bogey at worst in that situation is my thought. 

image.png

So how am I feeling? Disappointed truthfully. With a good front 9 and actually not a terrible back 9, but some just ugly holes I felt I had what it would have taken to be a lot closer to par. 

I managed to hit 10 fairways in reg but only 8 greens in reg with 3 of those being the par 3s. So only a 50% rate on par 4/5s. 

I had 32 putts (two 3 putts) and five up and downs for par. 

So how did I fair when the results were in? I guess I did better than most in the weather conditions because I was T3 overall and T3 in my handicap group. 

Marco who won was in my group and shot a 3 under back 9. Great back 9 for him. 

So now the story or situation from hole 11 - this is also livestock country and well we hit our tee shots in a somewhat hurried manner because we heard what was coming and didn't want to get caught behind this.... 

PXL_20240713_091636032.jpg

PXL_20240713_091755508.jpg

PXL_20240713_091753308.MP.jpg

You will want the sound on for that. Only here in Switzerland will you have a heard of sheep going through the middle of a golf course during a tournament lol

So that is a wrap, kinda feels like two steps forward a a few steps back. The game has areas it is trending and just some simple poor shots really leave me baffled. 

The LINK is a standout performer and I really love this putter. So happy with it. The wedges have been great as well, but need to stop hitting those fat shots and get more practice in. I am looking forward to when my T100 PW and GW get back to see if maybe those will help a bit as well. 

I used a TP5 ball and while I loved how it worked, the balls cover is well torn and not a usable ball anymore. It looked a lot like it was sun burnt and the skin was peeling. To me wild and not something I would want to use regularly again despite its performance elsewhere. 

Thanks all for listening and reading my rants and hole by hole. This is a great frustrating game and I really hope to put together some further rounds with better scores. 

I do think my floor has been raised while the ceiling is still the same. The front 9 was evident of that. 

PXL_20240713_114917418.jpg

PXL_20240713_110500468.jpg

PXL_20240713_105457657.jpg

PXL_20240713_105452257.jpg

PXL_20240713_063815913.jpg

PXL_20240713_071912426.jpg

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Awesome photos!  Hole 18 looks like it could be a lot of fun.  Congrats on the 3rd place finish.  I would say you left a few strokes out there on a few simple mistakes but that's golf!  Always the next round.

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

Good job Jamie! Ending up third overall and in the same position on a day when it looks like it was rough conditions is awesome considering you didn't know the course. Plus, you got closest to the pin. 

That is an awesome course and I'm absolutely in love with the backdrop of the course, it's beautiful. Thanks for sharing your round. 

What a recap! Worth every but of the 18 minutes it took to read it! T3 is great!

Sorry you felt rushed to putt too. The mental side of the game, especially in tournaments must be frustrating. Will you take the extra few seconds next time to refocus?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Great work Jamie.  The course looks tight and difficult…

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Let's get into the course first. A really cool course, not long and had a rating of 129 and CHP 68.2. So not difficult, but really tight. The course is set down in a valley with towering mountains left and right. Waterfalls all around for the most part really quiet. The back 9 is normally closed during the week due to being on a military section where they do live shooting and more. There were bunkers (military bunkers) massive holes in stone from explosions and more... really cool. 

The course is tight! Not a lot of room left or right and that was obvious from the first tee shot. Trees hugging left and right with a dogleg to the right, for some who has gone to a fade not the most inviting shot. It rained the whole time, not a heavy rain just a firm mist/rain that meant the greens were stupid slow. Rooster tails flying off the golf balls while putting was the norm and it was hard to hit a putt too hard. 

The greens are also very small, half the size of the greens I am used to playing and a lot more movement with them. A great change and challenge. 

As i mentioned a dogleg right and really not a driver hole. It looks wide here but it really isn't  and there is a lot more room right than you can see on the overview. There is even a little church on the right hand side. 

I took 3 wood and laced one down the middle, had 106 m in and hit a 50 to 3 feet, birdie on the cards to kick off! 

We played for yellows btw, I guess with the handicaps whites were too far back. This hole played from the whites though and I played safe pin high to the right. The putt was tracking, but came up short. A comfortable par. 

This was a visually difficult hole. Where the tree is on the right it has another fairwayish area so it doesn't quite look ... I dunno. It is a weird setting. I hit a drive towards the trees on the left and was a bit blocked out. With a hanging lie I chunked out a 6 iron and made the mistake of getting too cute with my 3rd and left it short of the green, so rather than a simple two putt bogey I bungled it for a double. The putt I hit was solid and just went a bit low. A disappointing hole, but considering I only hit a good putt walking off with double should have been expected. 

This hole played 165 m (into wet wind) and I hit a nice high fade that started at the pin and just went over the bunker, unfortunately it didn't role down onto the green but still had a good lie. A nice chip to 3 or 4 feet and a simple uphill putt gave me a bounce back par. 

What isn't shown on this hole is a slight elevation form the tee and  another tree in the middle of the fairway. The right tree that shows near the 92 looks like it is a bit on the fairway as well. I ripped driver, middle of the fairway with slightly awkward lie and hit a wedge a bit fat and short. Was a bad shot, but I had noticed something chipping on the previous holes. I was getting a ton of spin. I took a 50 and hit this low spinner that went to less than a foot for another par. Felt like a missed scoring opportunity, but also a great par. 

This hole it was properly raining and this hole is tight. Almost comically, as someone who has been losing a lot of balls left this was not a comfortable shot with OB. I did hit the fairway slinging a big fade (don't call it a slice), my second shot was a solid 7 wood but a little right. It ended up right by the tree at the 70 meter marker. The wedge I hit was good, no complaints but left and just a bit short, still on the green though. 

The putt was a down and up, fairly straight 40 foot putt that never left the center of the cup for birdie. 

The short 4 is not driver, it just isn't. I made a key mistake in not getting my second rain glove for this one. I was on the tee and not comfortable with the bottom hand feeling a bit of slippage, but took the shot anyway. I went about 160 m and slightly behind the tree at 70 m, still a good view though and a wedge so no real harm done... till another fat wedge. It was unfortunate because I think in drier conditions I get away with these strikes, but also gives me something to work on. Regardless no bunker and a conservative chip to a 20 feet left me a chance at par. It was 4 rolls shy from dropping with perfect line. Bogey, but again not the end of the world there. 

This is a fun par 3, yes it is short but lots of trouble and the pin was only a few paces off the back. I hit a wedge to 4 and a bit feet (won closest to the pin on this one - spoiler). and proceeded to miss the putt. I knew the line, saw the line and just didn't commit to it. Was good speed but just tried to baby it in rather than just doing it. Oh well, another par which doesn't hurt. 

Hole 9 is an interesting one. The tee shot is not inviting as the red stakes are very visible the whole way up and while the crossing is too far up to reach it just isn't inviting as I said. A laced 3 wood left me 146 m to the flag. A good shot, but pulled a bit left me off the green and a bit short, a really freaking good spinny chip meant an easy tap in for another par. 

Count it up after 9 and just 1 over through 9. Felt solid and now time for a little bit to eat - sandwhich and some swiss chocolate with a broth drink really hit the spot on this wet a cooler day. 

So this is a much more interesting hole than it shows here. The grey is an actual road running through the fairway. Weird, but part of the course. My drive drifted left and hit the road taking a massive bounce, not sure where it was going or if we would find it I hit a provisional that did literally the same thing. Hard to do! 

Thankfully both balls were easily found, but definitely blocked out. The fairway just over the road slopes hard left to right and I managed to hit a 6 iron or 7 iron up to 100 meters. The approach from the rough came up short again (surprise surprise), but again another excellent chip left me a foot for par. Our playing partner got on a heater dunking an eagle from 115m which was sweet to see as he hit it just past the pin and it spun back into the hole. 

What isn't shown on 11 is the elevation change. It is similar to hitting into a wall. A 3 wood to 125 m and over the road was a good setup, but a severe uphill lie. The results 8 iron after a long delay (more on this at the end) was pulled to the right of the green and a bad chip with two putt was a bogey. This is probably the third or fourth hardest hole on the course if I was to rate it. Next time I am probable taking driver and trying to get further up closer to the bunker where it is a bit flatter. 

Now that we are up top a bit we get to hit down! I wish I had studied this hole a little more because I went off some assumptions and I got burned by it. The 3 wood off the tee was left of where I wanted, but not in trouble per say. I was blocked from the green, but had a good lie. Now knowing what I know now I am still taking my 7 wood but I am hitting it far right towards the fairway. From where I was I felt I had to fade it a bit around a tree and get it closer to the green. I wasn't aware of just how much room there was to the right. So I hit a tree and it went into the water. Sucks, but happens. The next shot was on the green, but 15 feet and two putt meant a double. Definitely a hole that is hard, no question there however the double was easily avoidable given a bit more course knowledge. 

Another shorter par 4, this one played 130 m from where we were. The 8 iron was a bit thin however worked out really well and was 8 feet from the flag on the green. I honestly don't know how this putt didn't go in. The water marks show it going over the edge on the inside of the cup, but it didn't. Another par which felt both good and bad after the prior hole. 

Talk about tee shots that are uninviting. Again for someone who hits a fade, not fun. All I really saw was the bail out area left that looked short and with trees and high grass. My plan was to hit the drive at the trees infront of me and left it fade back to the fairway - it was executed perfectly, the following 7 wood was equally great. 62 m to the flag on a slight uphill slope and hit it fairly thing or just hard... I really don't know but it came our really flat and went over the green to a near impossible lie up against some shrubs and rocks. A tentative chip left me short, then the next one didn't spin and was long before a 3 putt bogey. The 3 putt was rushed and I should have really tried to slow down. This was a blow up hole that could have been ... not this. 

A short walk up to the tee box shows a really cool shot. With mountains in the background the visual of the ball is fantastic and it plays a bit shorter than on the card. Pin was at the back with plenty of room short. This is not the easiest hole on the course, but a solid shot meant I was 30 feet  with a double breaker putt. The putt was misread enough to make a 5 or 6 foot putt for my second that dropped. 

Again another short 4, but not drivable today nor do I think it is the proper call. A 3 wood to 65 meters left me a similar shot as I had before. I tried to play this with a different club and a little different which worked out okay. It kicked hard right and was still on the green, but not close. The putt had perfect speed and had a late turn I didn't see so tap in par. 

Slightly elevated tee shot and a tree that is a good aiming point for me. Ripped a driver and was middle of the fairway. Job one complete, next shot was pulled just a bit, or maybe it was toey... either way a slight miss and left me hole high but off the green. Nearly chipped again and had a simple putt for par. While not stressful they also weren't the easiest of situations to put myself in. 

On a dry day and wind at the back I could have some fun trying to go for the green, not today though. I hit a perfect drive and had 116 m in. The green is actually well down and below the bunker and very long. That bad fat wedge reared it's ugly head again and left me in my first bunker of the day and well short of the pin. While I got out just fine and on the green I was well short and again rushed my process. My playing partners were on the green and I was scrambling around, left the first putt well short and missed the following one for a double to finish. Leaving a really bad taste in my mouth. Not saying it should have been a par, which it would have been, but bogey at worst in that situation is my thought. 

image.png

So how am I feeling? Disappointed truthfully. With a good front 9 and actually not a terrible back 9, but some just ugly holes I felt I had what it would have taken to be a lot closer to par. 

I managed to hit 10 fairways in reg but only 8 greens in reg with 3 of those being the par 3s. So only a 50% rate on par 4/5s. 

So how did I fair when the results were in? I guess I did better than most in the weather conditions because I was T3 overall and T3 in my handicap group. 

So now the story or situation from hole 11 - this is also livestock country and well we hit our tee shots in a somewhat hurried manner because we heard what was coming and didn't want to get caught behind this.... 

You will want the sound on for that. Only here in Switzerland will you have a heard of sheep going through the middle of a golf course during a tournament lol

So that is a wrap, kinda feels like two steps forward a a few steps back. The game has areas it is trending and just some simple poor shots really leave me baffled. 

The LINK is a standout performer and I really love this putter. So happy with it. The wedges have been great as well, but need to stop hitting those fat shots and get more practice in. I am looking forward to when my T100 PW and GW get back to see if maybe those will help a bit as well. 

I used a TP5 ball and while I loved how it worked, the balls cover is well torn and not a usable ball anymore. It looked a lot like it was sun burnt and the skin was peeling. To me wild and not something I would want to use regularly again despite its performance elsewhere. 

Thanks all for listening and reading my rants and hole by hole. This is a great frustrating game and I really hope to put together some further rounds with better scores. 

I do think my floor has been raised while the ceiling is still the same. The front 9 was evident of that. 

wow... that was a fun post... congratulations all around, number 1 for committing and competing in every event you said you were going to , number 2 having solid finishes in many of the events, number 3 and I am guessing this happened, building relationships with other like minded golfers (number 3 is what I find most rewarding).

Putting your score beside your name is not as easy as weekend warriors think it is, way to go... Hopefully you have the tournament bug and will continue to compete for years to come...

Looking at the schedule of tournaments as much as I would love to play in a few more before the month is up I think that isn't likely to happen. None of the dates quite jive with my work schedule. However we will see, going to see if a friend has any at his course upcoming soon. 

That means next one may be August sometime?

I have my place locked for the finals October 4th, which is exciting and it is at a course I do not care for, but hey here is to hoping I like it a little more after that week?

Still a little upset my handicap has creeped so closed to double digits again. Deserved, but definitely not the way I had hoped it would be trending. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my day 1 is finished...

British Columbia Senior Men's and Super Senior men's championship. about 1/2 the field is finished, the lead is 72 and I shot 77.

need to get it going the next two days...

currently t17…

Edited by Jim Shaw

35 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

British Columbia Senior Men's and Super Senior men's championship. about 1/2 the field is finished, the lead is 72 and I shot 77.

Hit'em straight!  Good luck Jim

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Back for another update - Played a new course with a friend the other day as part of a tournament. it was his home course and I had some not high hopes, but just above average expectations. It was a much larger tournament and a lot of golfers with significantly lower handicaps. 

The course is a 27 hole course and they changed the 9 the night before, so although I had done a sim round and some research it was a bit all for not. 

The course is one of the higher rated ones, but we will get to that. I am currently at a 9.5 and climbing, my friend is at a 7.7, but is wild off the tee. We were paired with another friend of his who was a former euro tour player. Guy hit the ball a freaking mile. 

Rather than going hole by hole I will give a general overview... which may turn into a hole by hole. 

Screenshot 2024-07-30 5.32.40 PM.png

So here is the scorecard. A wild ride. 

First three holes didn't feel that bad. Fine but nothing crazy while I did miss some fairways they were on the right side or weren't by much. 

Unfortunately the 4th I hit just a short chunky shot and wasn't able to get up and down. 

The 5th I played well... minus the tee shot which we somehow weren't able to find. It sucks, but it is golf and it happens. What I didn't like was I had a bit of a two way miss going and out of nowhere a right miss came into play. I have not missed that bad right in a while and it was a big cause of several of these misses and big scores. 

A solid rebound, but a awful 3 putt and then triple from a fairway (another ball we felt we should have been able to find and didn't) was demoralizing. 

I did however bounce back. Playing the next 5 holes 2 under. Was feel really good. A great eagle on a getable par 5 and equally good pars on similar length par 4s. 

Then the right miss came out again and a boosted a tee shot OB. It reared it's head again on the next hole which was a tight shot and the dumb part was after the retee I made the simplest par I could have. The last 3 holes were were going on 5 hours on the course, the group ahead was slow as everything and it was getting hot. I just lost patience and felt overly tired. The par 5 was an avoidable bogey had I known the hole a little better and the last two holes I played like just get me out of here. 

Sucks, but after fighting so hard to claw back and then loosing it I just didn't have it in me to keep fighting. Out of 26 in my group I finished 18th. My friend unfortnately didn't have it going either and was dead last, while the other player was middle of the pack. 

The course itself was fine, wasn't worth the money I paid to play it and there was enough variety in the holes to make it interesting. The greens were in solid, but again I would have expected better conditions. 

There was a lot of wind which played a role, but in a good way. I know where I needed to improve and after a day off (I was grumpy the whole Sunday evening) I took to the course today and put up was my best round of the season. 

Still could have been better, but at least I am finally seeing the progression. I am not far off, really. However it will still take some more more work time and effort before I break that ceiling which has been a goal. 

No tournaments planned for August, but instead we are doing some official handicap rounds which will act in a similar manner. 

btw here is the round from today... much better. 

Screenshot 2024-07-30 5.35.03 PM.png

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

On 7/23/2024 at 7:21 PM, Jim Shaw said:

currently t17…

Good luck 👍 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Back for another update - Played a new course with a friend the other day as part of a tournament. it was his home course and I had some not high hopes, but just above average expectations. It was a much larger tournament and a lot of golfers with significantly lower handicaps. 

The course is a 27 hole course and they changed the 9 the night before, so although I had done a sim round and some research it was a bit all for not. 

The course is one of the higher rated ones, but we will get to that. I am currently at a 9.5 and climbing, my friend is at a 7.7, but is wild off the tee. We were paired with another friend of his who was a former euro tour player. Guy hit the ball a freaking mile. 

Rather than going hole by hole I will give a general overview... which may turn into a hole by hole. 

Screenshot 2024-07-30 5.32.40 PM.png

So here is the scorecard. A wild ride. 

First three holes didn't feel that bad. Fine but nothing crazy while I did miss some fairways they were on the right side or weren't by much. 

Unfortunately the 4th I hit just a short chunky shot and wasn't able to get up and down. 

The 5th I played well... minus the tee shot which we somehow weren't able to find. It sucks, but it is golf and it happens. What I didn't like was I had a bit of a two way miss going and out of nowhere a right miss came into play. I have not missed that bad right in a while and it was a big cause of several of these misses and big scores. 

A solid rebound, but a awful 3 putt and then triple from a fairway (another ball we felt we should have been able to find and didn't) was demoralizing. 

I did however bounce back. Playing the next 5 holes 2 under. Was feel really good. A great eagle on a getable par 5 and equally good pars on similar length par 4s. 

Then the right miss came out again and a boosted a tee shot OB. It reared it's head again on the next hole which was a tight shot and the dumb part was after the retee I made the simplest par I could have. The last 3 holes were were going on 5 hours on the course, the group ahead was slow as everything and it was getting hot. I just lost patience and felt overly tired. The par 5 was an avoidable bogey had I known the hole a little better and the last two holes I played like just get me out of here. 

Sucks, but after fighting so hard to claw back and then loosing it I just didn't have it in me to keep fighting. Out of 26 in my group I finished 18th. My friend unfortnately didn't have it going either and was dead last, while the other player was middle of the pack. 

The course itself was fine, wasn't worth the money I paid to play it and there was enough variety in the holes to make it interesting. The greens were in solid, but again I would have expected better conditions. 

There was a lot of wind which played a role, but in a good way. I know where I needed to improve and after a day off (I was grumpy the whole Sunday evening) I took to the course today and put up was my best round of the season. 

Still could have been better, but at least I am finally seeing the progression. I am not far off, really. However it will still take some more more work time and effort before I break that ceiling which has been a goal. 

No tournaments planned for August, but instead we are doing some official handicap rounds which will act in a similar manner. 

btw here is the round from today... much better. 

Screenshot 2024-07-30 5.35.03 PM.png

Great recap!  As is with any round, the odds are always stacked!

Maybe i missed something along the way. You pay to play a tournament circuit, and still have to pay to play the course? Or were you subbing into a different tournament?

WITB-

4 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Great recap!  As is with any round, the odds are always stacked!

Maybe i missed something along the way. You pay to play a tournament circuit, and still have to pay to play the course? Or were you subbing into a different tournament?

Unless you are a member at the course you pay the green free and a match fee. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 4 weeks later...

Was going to play a tournament Friday, but after a long week I cancelled. Was a good idea as it would have been 3 mornings in a row and I was exhausted. I still went golfing, just at a different course a lot closer. 

However Monday I am ready to go again for my first tournament at my home course. 

I will be honest I am a little bit torn. The greens are still in really rough shape, but my itch to play tournament golf is strong and I really want to see what I can do. I have had some great rounds and feel comfortable at the course however that doesn't mean it will immediately translate to success. 

A big issue right now is I have been playing first tee time and the first 3 holes are directly into the sun. It makes it near impossible to see tee shots. I have still asked for an early tee time, but I believe first one kicks off at 9am which wouldn't be bad (normally play at 7). 

The tournament is also from the back tees meaning the rating is 73.4 and slope of 133. This means I will get 13 shots? Something like that, either way recently I have been as low as 78 and as high as 89. This season while I have had some good rounds I haven't played overly well in tournaments which has lead to my official handicap being 9.5. However as all my rounds are tracked on garmin I have a handicap of 5.5 there. This is where I am hoping I can get over the pressure and the nerves and really put just a fun solid round together. 

Here is a little overview of the course. 

Hole 1 - Par 4, not overly short. OB left and the 10th hole runs along side it. There is some room to the right, but not a ton. Left side there is a bunker, but with driver I should be able to clear the bunker and leave myself 120 or so yards in. If I end up in the bunker not the end of the world. Pin position will be huge here as front and middle are quite accessible, but back is not fun. 

Hole 2 - Par 4, maybe top 3 hardest hole on the course. Tee shot has red stakes all down the right and OB left. Fairway is tight and really right rough is a not so bad spot to be. Again bunker left which is in play and not quite clearable for me. The green is where this gets trick with a left and back bunker. The green is slightly raised and wide but short front to back meaning you need a high soft landing approach to stick the green. Par here is a great score. 

Hole 3 - Par 5, from the back tees it is a true par 5. OB all the way down the the left and some really high grass on the right. Fairway is wide enough, but not crazy wide. Finding the fairway or just right of the centerline bunker is ideal. Approach shot is simple enough to get to 100 yards then a fairly straightforward green with a few bunkers, but just play smart to the middle and putt from there. 

Hole 4 - Par 3, will play about 180 yards. OB left and water right, new bunkers are on the left hand side and a perfectly find place to be. Everything hit to the right feeds towards the water. Again another tough hole where par would be wonderful. 

Hole 5 - Par 5, not driver off the tee as it turns a bit to the right and unless you get the ball moving that way you will end up in high grass or bunkers straight on. 3 wood, then 6 or 5 iron to 120 yards is ideal. The approach will be tricky depending on the pin. Everything along the right hand side is water hazard and feeds that way. It is a long skinny green so smart simple middle of the green approach is necessary and if you make a putt great. If not, no worries make your par and go on. 

Hole 6 - Par 4, the next birdie chance is here. No water in play, but some long grass right which is kinda out of play from the white tees due to its positioning. New bunker on the right hand side and red stake bushes on the left. The fairway is wide so just find the fairway and get one down there to be left with anywhere from 150-100 yards in. The green is well protected, but getting proper yardage shouldn't be too much of a challenge and again hopefully getting a chance at birdie. 

Hole 7 - Par 4, longer going back the other way. Tee shot is pretty straight forward with the bushes still being on your left, but ample room on the right even if the grass is taller. The green is where this gets tricky. This is the toughest green on the course being short front to back and plenty of slope. Need a high spinny approach to have any chance at holding this green. Again par is a good score.

Hole 8 - Par 4, the "hardest" hole on the course isn't really that. Lay up 220 yard shot as the fairway runs out and you need a placement shot. Water all along the left and the further right you go the longer your approach is as the hole turns left with another water feature all in front protecting the green. Get the number to clear the water, don't worry about the pin and most are sucker pins anyway. 

Hole 9 - Par 3, tons of room right with a single bunker in play and water protecting all down the left and front. Should play about 160 or 170 yards. 

Hole 10 - Par 4, my favorite hole on the course but the only one I have never had a birdie on. Lay up to about 100 yards from the tee with a 3 wood or 7 wood as there are a ton of bunkers after that point and the hole fairway narrows. This is the smart play as the green is big, if the pin is right there is a ton of room. Pin left it is really tough to stop, going closer does not mean easier as you need spin to hold the green. 

Hole 11 - Par 5, but a short 5. Pin dependant this could be another birdie opportunity. Drive needs to cut over the right side as left there are two bunkers and long  long grass in play. Right there isn't a ton of trouble, but finding a ball could be a bit tricky. The green back half is protected by a red stake area right and bunker left. Playing to the front end is the smartest and if something rolls on then great, if not make a chip and a putt. 

Hole 12, Par 4 begins the hardest stretch on the course. Big dog leg right that can be cut with driver, but 3 wood to the middle of the fairway is the smartest play. It will leave about 150 in and another terribly hard green with red stakes all down the left and death bunker right. Going longer here actually isn't the worst play. Again try to be simple and just make  a fairway and green then 2 putt. 

Hole 13, Par 4 is tough! Long with narrow fairway and more red stake all down the left and some down the right. Thankfully from the back tees drive is usable but will still be left with a good 6 or 7 iron into the green. Green isn't terrible but there is trouble on both sides however the right side is favorable. 

Hole 14, Par 3 that will play about 210 yards. Not a ton of trouble, but is long and a huge green which makes birdie here a true challenge. 

Hole 15, Par 5 and a wonderful one at that. OB all down the left and big center bunker that is call your name. Right from the back tees is safer, but being too long and right means more red stakes. The second shot is again pretty straight forward, but a great drive could mean around 200 or so in and with there being room on the left it is not the worst idea to play it far up to the green. The front bunker protecting the green isn't bad either. 

Hole 16, Par 4 also has OB all down the left and a bunker that is not in play. Right isn't safe with driver and there is new bunker that offers a new challenge if you go into it. Driver is not a huge risk, but a massive reward as you can be under 100 yards in to a green that has lots of trouble short, but not so much long. Pin dependant can be a good scoring opportunity. 

Hole 17, Par 4. From the one ups is another driver and less than 100 in, but from the backs it is about 40 yards further back. The green is really well protected so finding a fairway here is more important that you can imagine. Still a great drive can take the left fairway bunker out of play and leave a better angle in. 

Hole 18, Par 3. From the back tees it will play 160 plus. It is a partial island green that has a bail out area right. This hole is tough, but so much fun. Take on the shot and you have a real look at birdie, miss hit it even a little and you will be looking at bogey or worse. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Tournament morning and for whatever reason I am quite nervous. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Update: after range session driver is bad! This could be fun.

Making great strikes but everything is slicing or moving way left. Maybe it is also the range balls but not the most confidence inspiring to kick off. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Have a good round. The scorecard doesn't know how the par happened. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Hit ‘em well Jamie!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Nervous isnt necessarily bad.  Channel that into determination!!  

Thats my coffee cup psychology lesson for the day!!  😂

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

On 8/24/2024 at 9:49 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Was going to play a tournament Friday, but after a long week I cancelled. Was a good idea as it would have been 3 mornings in a row and I was exhausted. I still went golfing, just at a different course a lot closer. 

However Monday I am ready to go again for my first tournament at my home course. 

I will be honest I am a little bit torn. The greens are still in really rough shape, but my itch to play tournament golf is strong and I really want to see what I can do. I have had some great rounds and feel comfortable at the course however that doesn't mean it will immediately translate to success. 

A big issue right now is I have been playing first tee time and the first 3 holes are directly into the sun. It makes it near impossible to see tee shots. I have still asked for an early tee time, but I believe first one kicks off at 9am which wouldn't be bad (normally play at 7). 

The tournament is also from the back tees meaning the rating is 73.4 and slope of 133. This means I will get 13 shots? Something like that, either way recently I have been as low as 78 and as high as 89. This season while I have had some good rounds I haven't played overly well in tournaments which has lead to my official handicap being 9.5. However as all my rounds are tracked on garmin I have a handicap of 5.5 there. This is where I am hoping I can get over the pressure and the nerves and really put just a fun solid round together. 

Here is a little overview of the course. 

Hole 1 - Par 4, not overly short. OB left and the 10th hole runs along side it. There is some room to the right, but not a ton. Left side there is a bunker, but with driver I should be able to clear the bunker and leave myself 120 or so yards in. If I end up in the bunker not the end of the world. Pin position will be huge here as front and middle are quite accessible, but back is not fun. 

Hole 2 - Par 4, maybe top 3 hardest hole on the course. Tee shot has red stakes all down the right and OB left. Fairway is tight and really right rough is a not so bad spot to be. Again bunker left which is in play and not quite clearable for me. The green is where this gets trick with a left and back bunker. The green is slightly raised and wide but short front to back meaning you need a high soft landing approach to stick the green. Par here is a great score. 

Hole 3 - Par 5, from the back tees it is a true par 5. OB all the way down the the left and some really high grass on the right. Fairway is wide enough, but not crazy wide. Finding the fairway or just right of the centerline bunker is ideal. Approach shot is simple enough to get to 100 yards then a fairly straightforward green with a few bunkers, but just play smart to the middle and putt from there. 

Hole 4 - Par 3, will play about 180 yards. OB left and water right, new bunkers are on the left hand side and a perfectly find place to be. Everything hit to the right feeds towards the water. Again another tough hole where par would be wonderful. 

Hole 5 - Par 5, not driver off the tee as it turns a bit to the right and unless you get the ball moving that way you will end up in high grass or bunkers straight on. 3 wood, then 6 or 5 iron to 120 yards is ideal. The approach will be tricky depending on the pin. Everything along the right hand side is water hazard and feeds that way. It is a long skinny green so smart simple middle of the green approach is necessary and if you make a putt great. If not, no worries make your par and go on. 

Hole 6 - Par 4, the next birdie chance is here. No water in play, but some long grass right which is kinda out of play from the white tees due to its positioning. New bunker on the right hand side and red stake bushes on the left. The fairway is wide so just find the fairway and get one down there to be left with anywhere from 150-100 yards in. The green is well protected, but getting proper yardage shouldn't be too much of a challenge and again hopefully getting a chance at birdie. 

Hole 7 - Par 4, longer going back the other way. Tee shot is pretty straight forward with the bushes still being on your left, but ample room on the right even if the grass is taller. The green is where this gets tricky. This is the toughest green on the course being short front to back and plenty of slope. Need a high spinny approach to have any chance at holding this green. Again par is a good score.

Hole 8 - Par 4, the "hardest" hole on the course isn't really that. Lay up 220 yard shot as the fairway runs out and you need a placement shot. Water all along the left and the further right you go the longer your approach is as the hole turns left with another water feature all in front protecting the green. Get the number to clear the water, don't worry about the pin and most are sucker pins anyway. 

Hole 9 - Par 3, tons of room right with a single bunker in play and water protecting all down the left and front. Should play about 160 or 170 yards. 

Hole 10 - Par 4, my favorite hole on the course but the only one I have never had a birdie on. Lay up to about 100 yards from the tee with a 3 wood or 7 wood as there are a ton of bunkers after that point and the hole fairway narrows. This is the smart play as the green is big, if the pin is right there is a ton of room. Pin left it is really tough to stop, going closer does not mean easier as you need spin to hold the green. 

Hole 11 - Par 5, but a short 5. Pin dependant this could be another birdie opportunity. Drive needs to cut over the right side as left there are two bunkers and long  long grass in play. Right there isn't a ton of trouble, but finding a ball could be a bit tricky. The green back half is protected by a red stake area right and bunker left. Playing to the front end is the smartest and if something rolls on then great, if not make a chip and a putt. 

Hole 12, Par 4 begins the hardest stretch on the course. Big dog leg right that can be cut with driver, but 3 wood to the middle of the fairway is the smartest play. It will leave about 150 in and another terribly hard green with red stakes all down the left and death bunker right. Going longer here actually isn't the worst play. Again try to be simple and just make  a fairway and green then 2 putt. 

Hole 13, Par 4 is tough! Long with narrow fairway and more red stake all down the left and some down the right. Thankfully from the back tees drive is usable but will still be left with a good 6 or 7 iron into the green. Green isn't terrible but there is trouble on both sides however the right side is favorable. 

Hole 14, Par 3 that will play about 210 yards. Not a ton of trouble, but is long and a huge green which makes birdie here a true challenge. 

Hole 15, Par 5 and a wonderful one at that. OB all down the left and big center bunker that is call your name. Right from the back tees is safer, but being too long and right means more red stakes. The second shot is again pretty straight forward, but a great drive could mean around 200 or so in and with there being room on the left it is not the worst idea to play it far up to the green. The front bunker protecting the green isn't bad either. 

Hole 16, Par 4 also has OB all down the left and a bunker that is not in play. Right isn't safe with driver and there is new bunker that offers a new challenge if you go into it. Driver is not a huge risk, but a massive reward as you can be under 100 yards in to a green that has lots of trouble short, but not so much long. Pin dependant can be a good scoring opportunity. 

Hole 17, Par 4. From the one ups is another driver and less than 100 in, but from the backs it is about 40 yards further back. The green is really well protected so finding a fairway here is more important that you can imagine. Still a great drive can take the left fairway bunker out of play and leave a better angle in. 

Hole 18, Par 3. From the back tees it will play 160 plus. It is a partial island green that has a bail out area right. This hole is tough, but so much fun. Take on the shot and you have a real look at birdie, miss hit it even a little and you will be looking at bogey or worse. 

sounds like they have the course rating and slope about bang on, not an easy test from the back tees, I know you will be finished by the time I type this however I did see you are nervous, playing your home course with expectations from you and your peers make it difficult, at least for me. I did talk to my psychologist about this and we discussed our usual pre and on course tricks to get the nerves out. 

It has been fun and informative to follow your "tournament adventures" this season Jamie, and from 10,000 feet you are rocking it, hopefully you will get the bug and continue next year... Good luck today and try and have some "fun" in amongst the angst as well...

Okay, we are a few days removed from my tournament on Monday. Here is the scorecard. 

image.png

So a bad, bad start that was truly horrendous that finally rebounded. 

I was really excited for this round, but also abnormally nervous. We were playing off the back tees which is longer, but for me it is not that different other than a few holes. 

First hole I was second off the tee and hit a fantastic driver right down the middle with my newly trademarked right to left ball flight. Unfortunately my approach started straight at the flag but also bled left and ended up in the bunker. It was pin high and spot on, a good bunker shot out left me a chance at a par putt, but didn't drop. Still I had to be satisfied with the result as a whole. 

The second hole I hit a bad cutty drive that was short and left. I was partially blocked out by some trees and had a PW in hand, but saw that if I cut it I could possibly reach the green (dumb) so grabbed a 7 iron and made my swing... the issue with this is if I hit it straight and well it was going into the water, it had to cut. I bailed out and it clipped the trees left and popped into the fairway, I then proceeded to hit into another bunker. This was just dumb because a PW out would have left me 60-80 yards in and a chance at an up and down for par or at worst bogey. Instead i was now in a bunker on the opposite side of the green as the pin and had a long bunker shot that was fine, but a long ways away. My putt for double lipped around the whole. Triple on the cards, all from one bad, dumb hero thinking shot. 

Third, driver caught the centerline bunker and was up against the lip, dumb but at least i got relief because as it was under repair, but the relief is in the bunker and with the soft sand the drop sat down. A 7 iron out left me near the OB, but okay... guess what! I ended up in another bunker left! It was certainly short sided so again my goal was to make a decent shot and hope to make a putt, which nearly dropped but was a bit strong. So another bogey on the card. 

The following par 3 was longer, about 180 yards. I thinned a 6 iron onto the green, so at least a green in reg! Okay putt, but tentative and meant the first par was on the card. Finally felt like things were turning around. 

Next par 5 is a 3 wood off the tee due to how it runs out of room and. I have always gone left on this hole and I think double crossed and went right into the hazard, just incredible. A PW over the trees then 6 or 5 iron layup as the green is not getable then on and another 3 putt. A hole that just moved really quickly and while I tried to play it smart I got bit with the second triple of the day. 

At this point I just wanted to make some good hits and reclaim this round as I knew I was out of the tournament unless we had some miracles. 

Hole 6 is a par four and I ripped a great drive and again found myself middle of the fairway. Unfortunately i was a bit between clubs and tried to muscle an 8 back which I cut again into the high grass. I don't think i have ever been there, so again bad mistake. I barely had  swing and got onto the rough greenside and made a double. Annoyed that the score didn't match how my swing was feeling we moved onto the next hole. 

A drive that was left, but fine left me a big 9 iron in which I hit really well....too well and went just back over the green. I was very surprised, but thought a chip and a putt would be in play. Well I yipped the chip, the next chip was also trash and 2 putt for double AGAIN. 

Just annoying, silly simple things causing my worst stretch of holes this season I would say. 

I roasted a 3 wood on the hardest hole on the course and followed it up with a simple, boring approach that was middle of the green. Putt was close, but missed high and simple par. 

Hole 9 I hit a okay 6 iron, but a little left and left me a tricky chip. Rather than try to really get fancy I wanted to trust my putting and so was a little aggressive and ran it past the hole. Didn't make the putt, but felt like a smart overall play compared to prior. 

Hole 10, stupid good 3 wood, great approach and missed the 8 foot putt for birdie (on a hole I still have yet to birdie... ever) by being just a little too firm with the putt. 

Hole 11, During my setup on the tee I felt like my grip was strong and just decided to swing anyway... bad mistake as I drove it right into the trees on the right... but it bounced out! A great 7 wood left me a PW in on this par 5. Unfortunately I hit it a little too well and with a slight pull it went into the hazard right of the green. Was so surprised, but annoyed again. A solid shot with a unlucky break, but made a great chip for a tap in bogey. Missed opportunity, but a great break after the drive where I deserved the bogey. 

Hole 12 and high my 3 wood high on the face and left myself a tricky shot where I was short of the dogleg on the par 4. I cut a 7 wood for my second shot over some trees and just left myself short/left of the green. Made the up and down for another par. 

Hole 13 was a little left of the fairway, but a perfect spot in truth. It is a really hard par 4 and in my opinion the hardest hole on the course. Made the green and 2 putt for par. 

Hole 14 the wind had been blowing pretty hard now for 10 holes and was swirling around. I took a 5 iron and should have been a 6 as I soared over and left of the green. However not the worst angle back to the pin. Chip was okay, but a bit long and the putt didn't quite drop. A bogey, but again deserved. 

Hole 15 is a par 5 with a centerline bunker and protected green with front bunker and water right. A great drive in the fairway left me 240 meters in. The nice thing is there is a ton of room left. Being that far out I decided on 3 wood and if I went front bunker so be it... I made the green... which normally would be great but the peanut shape meant I I had no direct line at the pin and to putt through a big section of first cut. I didn't quite commit so a 3 putt par. Not that I can honestly say I expected to get that close i did wish I had a better birdie opp. 

Hole 16 I roasted a drive and had 80 yards in. Made a good safe approach and 2 putter par. 

Hole 17 was a weird drive that must have caught heel because it was woefully short. My approach was fine, pin high but left and the chip was yipped... however I made the putt from off the green for par!

Hole 18 was into wind. It is always a 7 iron with no wind so figuring a one or more club wind I went with 6 and managed to go over by just a little. With water all in front I felt it was still the right call. An okay chip, but one that left a breaking putt came up a few inches from dropping. Fitting end with a bogey and 88 on the card. 

I am truly really happy with how I grinded and finished out the round going 4 over through the last however many holes. It sucks the round started as poorly as it did. 

When i finished up I took a look and at the results and I guess the wind had been a lot tougher for everyone than I had thought because there were plenty of other high scores and I managed a 5th place finish. 

Not bad, but still felt as though I could have done SO much better. 

Now put that round behind me, had a good bounce back round the other day and next tournament is tomorrow! Back at Waldkirch where I have played well and enjoy a lot of elevated tee shots. Should be a fun round and while I am a bit nervous I don't know what 18 we are playing (there are 36) so wait and see when i get there!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

On 7/14/2024 at 9:47 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

image.png

Great looking course.  It's a pity that winter would cover it all with snow.

• Callaway Mavrik Driver 10.5* (280yd)
  • Callaway GBB 3 wood (256yd)
  • Ping G25 17* Hybrid  (230yd)
  • Callaway AI Smoke 4Hybrid (set at 22* & replacement for the 4 iron) (208yd)
  • Callaway Apex Pro 19 (5 to A) Irons
  • Wilson Staff Dynapower SW (1975)
  • Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 60 Mid 10
  • Odyssey DXF Rossie Putter
  • Srixon Q-Star balls
  • Garmin Approach S60

9 minutes ago, Johann Oosthuizen said:

Great looking course.  It's a pity that winter would cover it all with snow.

That's a good question. Not sure how much snow they get in that region.

Where im at we only get a day or two of snow. It really isn't much at all.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

On 8/26/2024 at 8:04 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I thought the Alpine folks have a remedy for nerves.  We used it when on our first ski trip in Austria a few years ago.  It is called.....

Jägermeister.jpg

• Srixon Q-Star balls
  • Garmin Approach S60

Just now, Johann Oosthuizen said:

I thought the Alpine folks have a remedy for nerves.  We used it when on our first ski trip in Austria a few years ago.  It is called.....

Jägermeister.jpg

Not really a drinker, so that's pretty useless for me. Coffee and water are my go to drinks.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

That's a good question. Not sure how much snow they get in that region.

Where im at we only get a day or two of snow. It really isn't much at all.

We are fortunate that in South Africa we can play the whole year round, except for days where we have thunder storms.  In my area the winters are very dry with the grass burnt by frost, offering shots that are usually about 15% longer, especially with Driver, fairway woods and long irons.  At some courses the greens also become so hard and fast that it compares to putting on a snooker table.

• Srixon Q-Star balls
  • Garmin Approach S60