Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Hard to Watch Televised Tour Events

Just throwing this out for comments. I find it very difficult to watch a regular PGA Tour event on television for a number of reasons. Part of it the players and an attitude that a few seem to have. A bigger part is the television announcers. There is an endless stream of talk and 95% of it is unnecessary. If a player is on the green with their second shot, I don't need to be told that he is putting for a birdie. If they are on the fringe and have a ten foot putt, one can see that. On approach shots, we can see that there are two bunkers surrounding the green and we can see the pin position. It's a visual image that does not require a constant stream of talk to tell us what we can see on the screen.

Just my observations from one who watches tour events less frequently. l

Driver - Taylormade M6; 10.5 Degrees - Diamana BF50R shaft.

Fairway Woods - Tour Exotics (3 Wood) CBX119 EvenFlow Project X 5.5R Tour Exotics (4 Wood) XCG7; Fujikura 50R shaft.

Hybrids - PING G (19,22 and 26 Degree lofts.)

Irons - Mizuno MX300 (7-GW)

Wedges - Cleveland RTX4 (54 and 58 degree)

Putter - Pyramid Altec Series AZ-11

Ball - Bridgestone 330-RTX or Calloway Tour iz

That’s the best part of life. If you don’t like something you don’t have to participate in it. Theres always streaming services to use to watch coverage. Muting the tv so you don’t have to hear the commentators or treat them as white noise.

I don’t watch the nba anymore because I don’t like the current game and the rule changes. I don’t watch much mlb anymore for similar reasons. Haven’t watched a football game outside of the Super Bowl in 4 years.

For golf I tend to have other things going on during the weekend so I only catch a few holes here and there or just don’t watch. Sports on tv arent that important for me to sit in front of the tv for hours to watch. Would rather do productive things that improve other people’s lives or mine 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Most commentary is inane and repetitive. There is very little original or interesting insight.

I get it, filling hours on end with little but the obvious happening must be difficult - I would be rubbish at it. But these people are paid good money and so should be better.

I guess it just highlights that golf is a game to be played rather than watch. We just watch it when we aren’t playing!

I'm wondering if it's the poor quality golf commentary or just too much golf available on TV.

The post round interviews when a golfer just came off their round are extremely repetitive and the last few weeks, there were tons of them - NCAA Women, Men, PGA, Women's US Open, Canadian Open, Men's US Open Qualifiers, Champions Tour, DP Tour, regular PGA Tour events.

I would have to say that I enjoy the DP Tour commentators the most and the CBS and NBC crews the least.  

Maybe it's the large quantity of golf availability that's making the commentary seem dull and lifeless.

For me, this has already happened to most other sports, both professional and amateur leagues.  

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.

Well I have just a little different approach to televised golf tournaments. I personally could care less about the commentators, I usually mute broadcast commentators and listen to music. I spend most of the time watching the players. golf swing, putting, practice swing etc. I  study more , maybe trying to pick up tid bits i might be able to apply to my own game. 

high to fly ! Peace ✌️ 

I also watch with the sound off.  Not just golf but all sports.  Besides the annoying commentary, the mix on the broadcast (football & basketball) has crowd noise so loud that hearing the announcers is a challenge for me.  Although my poor hearing is probably a big contributor to that.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I tend to watch with the sound off and music playing. I do enjoy a Jim Nance though.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Not sure I have watched any golf this year outside of the Masters. Just been one of those years, that said it's the commercial load that gets to me. 

The rest I can tune out of get over. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I watched more LPGA than PGA events this year. And that was maybe 3 days worth max of events. I just don't like watching golf on tv in general. I find it very boring overall and it just doesn't hold my attention.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

49 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I watched more LPGA than PGA events this year. And that was maybe 3 days worth max of events. I just don't like watching golf on tv in general. I find it very boring overall and it just doesn't hold my attention.

I know what you mean.

I used to love watching the old one-on-one taped matches that they used to air when I was a kid, more so than the tournaments, but then I was an unsophisticated kid watching adults.

Now I realize that most of the male tournament players, at least, are not people with whom I'd get along amiably in real life.  That makes it hard for me to get interested in their competition.

I would watch it for the golf, but again, the male players especially are playing a game with which I'm not familiar.  They're often playing par fours that are longer than the par fives at our club.  I certainly recognize and appreciate their talent, don't get me wrong, but for some reason, it doesn't entertain me.

This in no way diminishes my appreciation of golf as a recreational and social game for myself, however.  

in flux

Have got to where I don’t watch hardly any PGA golf because I think nbc has ruined the golf channel. Used to have the golf channel on probably 12+ hours a day. 

Driver - Top Flite Gamer

Hybrid - Cleveland Halo  1h

Hybrid - Ping G10 4h, 5h

Irons - Ping i200 6-P

SW - Lynx Silver Cat

Putter - Evnroll ER2

Yes, most of the golf broadcast coverage banter is unnecessary and quite repetitive. But what else does the producer do with a bakers dozen of on and off course commentators?  Player interviews are, arguably, the worst.  These guys and gals must get exhausted pretty much repeating the same thing day after day.  I watch with the volume barely audible, usually while working on my laptop, and that works for me.

Some of the other posts here also resonate with me in that the game itself (along with the coverage of it) is really different than the sport I grew up with.  Not all bad mind you, but also not better in many ways... the insane financial aspect being the worst.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

3 hours ago, GG194 said:

Have got to where I don’t watch hardly any PGA golf because I think nbc has ruined the golf channel. Used to have the golf channel on probably 12+ hours a day. 

I would agree with this. Every sport can benefit from quality commentators and golf more so than others. It isn’t a sport with a lot of action to hold your attention so good commentary goes a long way. That’s what always made the Masters so special with guys like Vern Lindquist. The guys working for NBC these days aren’t great. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

My biggest issue is that coverage cuts to a commercial (what feels like) every 10 seconds. I don't watch LIV, either, but that platform has figured out a good way to watch every player on every shot.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

If I watch I turn on recorder 1st or pre-set to record, then hit bthroom, get a snack, then I have about 10-15 minutes recorded, so I can watch and zip thru the 1st 2 or 3 commercial breaks.  Be smart, use the recorder.  

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno 2017 version JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5; Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7; Sand: old 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, heavy sole, Apex shaft.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃

I’ve been using IPTV exclusively for the last 5 years and hence have been able to stream live coverage from anywhere it’s available globally. 
I was already totally fed up with CBS / NBC etc etc way before the LIV fiasco, and have watched Sky Golf, Supersports, whatever to avoid the US network coverage’s vapid commentary, ads after every 3rd shot, and idiotic ‘human interest’ mini segments.

What's currently in my 'ever-changing' bag:

Driver: Ping G430 Max, Tensei Orange AV Reg Flex shaft.

FW: Ping G425 Max 5 Wood, Alta Reg Flex.

Hybrids: Ping G400 3, 4 & 5 reg Alta reg Flex.

Irons: PXG 0211 XCor2 6-LW, Mitsubishi MMT 70 Reg Flex

Putter: Odyssey Tuttle

As a UK resident I grew up without Satellite TV, so enjoyed the golf on 'free' tv when it was aired. I have many happy memories of such tournaments but since everything is behind a pay wall I don't tend to watch alot of live sport in general but catch up on highlights where I can.I would still enjoy watching it live but I think I've moved so far that point that I would struggle to get a couple of hours of viewing past the wife.

Callaway XR Driver - Aldila NV Green Shaft 55g Stiff

Taylormade M2 3 Wood

Mizuno T-zoid 2 iron

Taylormade M2 4 Hybrid

5-AW Lynx #BB,

Ping Sigma 2 - Tyne Putter

Golf on the networks and Golf channel have become hard to watch with commercial breaks averaging about every 5 minutes, sometimes it's a little longer but those breaks after 5 minutes are really annoying , I have been taping golf on TV and watching the broadcasts later so I can fast forward through the commercials, that takes some of the pain away it's still far from perfect , I have noticed though golf broadcasts on ESPN plus PGA tour live are pretty good, after the first half hour they try to space commercial breaks on average 20 to 30 minutes apart and that makes watching golf a lot easier also I have found that watching LPGA on golf channel difficult because of Morgan Pressel being the lead analyst , I do not like her style and her voice is like listening to fingernails scratched on a chalkboard and the every 5 minute commercial breaks don't help , I still watch golf on TV regularly on tape delay and depending on what the event is live but those times are few and far between , hopefully the networks and golf channel will get the hint and try to improve the telecasts before they lose a majority of the viewers.

Maltby KE4 tour TC 11 degree driver

Maltby KE 4 21 and 23 degree rescue hybrids

Ping I 525 forged irons 5 thru pw black dot

Ping glide 4.0 47 degree gap wedge

Ping glide 3.0 eye 2 54 and 58 degree wedges / all irons /wedges have tensei AV series senior flex graphite

LAB golf MEZZ 1 custom broomstick putter with Accra grapite shaft lie angle 79.5 length 46 inches

I’ve been fed up with golf broadcasts on tv for a long time and most of the posts here hit it right with the endless filler and unnecessary comments BUT my main issue is watching the same 5 players over and over and over …… Yes the leaders are making better shots (that’s why their leading) but there are usually over 60 players who make the cut each weekend and there must be more shots to watch????

I find that I enjoy watching more of the “creative” shots being made by the field that isn’t hitting every fairway (like most of us) and missing greens (like most of us).  The commentators would have to come up with something new to say too if I turned the volume back up to hear them. Lol

Ping G425 LST Driver

Ping G425 3 Wood

Ping G425 19deg Hybrid

Ping G430 irons 5-P, 45, 50

Taylormade MG3 wedges 54, 58

Ping Ketch Putter 34”

I do not enjoy golf on tv as much as I used to.  Watching meaningless putts is not my cup of tea. Also,  the commentary gets to the point of being awful.  I am more interested in tee  and fairway shots using the tracer to see shot shape.  I like to record golf and the I am able to skip the commercials,  commentary and other uninteresting parts, which reduces viewing time by 50 percent. 

Epic Flash

I only really watch the slams anymore and there are way, way, way too many commercials.

As an aside; that should possibly be telling that the only way to make it financially viable for networks is to sell that many ads. With streaming becoming more ubiquitous, what is the value prop for those companies? Even on Peacock there are a million ads.

• Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-8 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey 56-12 & 60-08 - Project X 6.0
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
  • Golf Ball - 2023 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

If I do watch golf on television, it’s on mute. The announcers I just can’t really fathom or have a very good reason why I should listen to him. Do I really wanna hear them wax poetic of that one time Chi Chi Rodriguez told him the secret about chipping back in 81? No. I have noticed that the European tours, men’s and ladies, are much better than the US announcers. They just tell you about the match and very little else.  Other than that, I’ll catch the highlights online.

7 hours ago, Ramsey_Steve said:

I’ve been using IPTV exclusively for the last 5 years and hence have been able to stream live coverage from anywhere it’s available globally. 
I was already totally fed up with CBS / NBC etc etc way before the LIV fiasco, and have watched Sky Golf, Supersports, whatever to avoid the US network coverage’s vapid commentary, ads after every 3rd shot, and idiotic ‘human interest’ mini segments.

How much does it cost you per month to use IPTV?

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.

When I was REALLY into golf about 20 years ago, the Golf Channel was always on. Tips, tricks, events. I've never been that big of a fan of watching. Everyone here in Raleigh is jacked up about the US Open, but I don't imagine I'll watch more than 2 hours on Sunday. I'd much rather play or practice in my simulator, and even then, I hardly ever put golf on.

DR: PXG 0311 Gen 5 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3W: PXG 0211 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3H: Tour Exotics EX221 with HZRDUS Smoke Black Stiff
IRN: 2021 PXG 0211 with MMT Mitsubishi Stiff 
54/58: Cleveland CBX
P: Wilson Infinite Buckingham

I have mixed feelings about this topic. I'm in the demographic 40 years and older that grew up watching the greats of the game. It was a different time and a different era where options were limited. As a golfer and a fan of the PGA I really enjoy watching the pros play and get humbled by this game we love, as well as make remarkable achievements that few can claim.

All that being said the American entertainment industry is not an accurate reflection of this. Instead I believe it's a sign of the times. Generally speaking, and IMO, people are too invested in their phones, and instant information being at their fingertips, to have the patience to watch a golf tournament play out. Watching golf on "free TV" is so riddled with ads that, again, nobody has time for that. It's a predicament to be sure and one that may not have a solution for a while.

I stream all the content I want to see, as I cut the cord many years ago. If I want to watch golf it's behind a paywall. It's the only way to get decent content and I will say I watch it at a low volume. I agree with many who have commented here that the commentating is not part of the entertainment for me.

It'll be interesting to see how the PGA and broadcasting companies approach professional golf tournament broadcasts. On the one hand you want to keep the tradition and legacy and on the other you want it to fit or stand out in a sea of content available to anyone with a mobile device.

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R w/JumboMax Tour Series grip

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges: Testing default_titelist-small.jpg.70ad9f722a0db80227389c6cf555806c.jpg Vokey SM10 wedges Go here to learn more!

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Ball: TBD

Yes, it is more of a podcast or talk show now. I know few of the players and the same names are at the top each week. Announcers that know little about golf; for example, Steve Sands or use that annoying verbal squeak like Morgan Pressel. Also, what other sport shows a bunch of ads, then plays the tape of golf shots after they occurred. They can do better.