Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Hard to Watch Televised Tour Events

1 hour ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

How much does it cost you per month to use IPTV?

DM sent

What's currently in my 'ever-changing' bag:

Driver: Ping G430 Max, Tensei Orange AV Reg Flex shaft.

FW: Ping G425 Max 5 Wood, Alta Reg Flex.

Hybrids: Ping G400 3, 4 & 5 reg Alta reg Flex.

Irons: PXG 0211 XCor2 6-LW, Mitsubishi MMT 70 Reg Flex

Putter: Odyssey Tuttle

Problem with the broadcasters is they think their job is to entertain us, they think they are important.  It isn't. and they aren't. For less talk,  I find the DP World b'casts are better and the ladies events from Asia, whether LPGA or other tours, are also better. They talk less and use different camera angles especially at the tee.  US b'casts show tee shots from behind in order to show shot tracker, DP shows from the side/front quarter, I feel I can see the person better. 

Some of us fondly recall, I believe at US Open, only 1 or 2 advertisers sponsored the whole TV 'cast and limited to like 5 one minute comms per hour. 

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno 2017 version JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5; Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7; Sand: old 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, heavy sole, Apex shaft.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃

For regular PGATour events which I include the Players, I enjoy having ESPN+ and watching the Thursday and Friday broadcasts, especially the early morning tee times as it is a great way to get my workout in and watching some golf early in the morning.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

Record. Fast forward at 1x. Slow down for a particularly good shot. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

The only sport I watch any more is golf, for all the reasons previously mentioned. Golf is mostly on as background noise while I do some work, however. Can't stand that for 3 hours all you see is 2 "feature groups". I like to see all of them. I also probably watch more LPGA cuz their game is more like mine. PGA is another universe I don't recognize. Some of the commentary is good, especially Nance. Most is childish, much like the NBA junk. Only guy good for both is Barkeley. Why did they dump Azinger, need some honesty, like Chamblee. Balionis does a good job but it is very redundant, 2/day would be enough. All sports on TV have gone downhill a lot recently

9 hours ago, sandwedge59 said:

Golf on the networks and Golf channel have become hard to watch with commercial breaks averaging about every 5 minutes, sometimes it's a little longer but those breaks after 5 minutes are really annoying , I have been taping golf on TV and watching the broadcasts later so I can fast forward through the commercials, that takes some of the pain away it's still far from perfect , I have noticed though golf broadcasts on ESPN plus PGA tour live are pretty good, after the first half hour they try to space commercial breaks on average 20 to 30 minutes apart and that makes watching golf a lot easier also I have found that watching LPGA on golf channel difficult because of Morgan Pressel being the lead analyst , I do not like her style and her voice is like listening to fingernails scratched on a chalkboard and the every 5 minute commercial breaks don't help , I still watch golf on TV regularly on tape delay and depending on what the event is live but those times are few and far between , hopefully the networks and golf channel will get the hint and try to improve the telecasts before they lose a majority of the viewers.

I don't watch as much golf as I used to. Partly because the current announcers just are not to my taste as folks from 5 or so years ago. Someone mentioned that Golf Channel has gone downhill because of NBC. Hit the nail on that head. I don't like it when they only seem to track a very few groups and spend way too much time on the greens. I would like to see more about the other players out there and how they are doing. And yes!!!!!!! Wat too many commercials but that's how they get their $$ influx. I know they tried to do that "Playing Through" aspect but still too disruptive in my view.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

When the commentators start talking about where they went for dinner or which courses they played in town, I realize that they are overpaid and overhyped for the poopy quality job they do. Their performance becomes more about them and less about golf.

Many of the former sports (golf) announcers used to be professionals and worked hard at their craft and kept their mouths shut when there was nothing to say.  Where are the new Frank Chirkinians and Chuck Wills to direct today's rookie commentators?

I used to like Jim Nance, but with his recent declining (boorish) commentary, clothing line, column in Golf Digest and poor acting job he did at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony, he, too, is trying to become more famous than his job.

I also feel that the recent trend of overhyping STATISTICS is a snoozer in all sports.  I'm pretty sure that this is being promoted to enhance legalized gambling.  Soon, we will be analyzing the strokes gained "butt-sniffing" by Steve Sands, Nance, Balionis, Lerner, Hicks, etc.   

😴

Edited by ShimmyCocoBop

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.

I'm a bit like the poster, I'm not as enthralled with watching golf anymore. It's partly that with LIV taking many of the players I don't identify with very many players any longer. Even more aggravating is the barrage of commercials. It seems you have to watch 5 minutes of commercials for every 20 minutes of golf action. Now, add in the time spent by analysts to over analyze so many shots, it takes the enjoyment away from the telecast. 

Yes it has not but easy to watch The U.S open coverage has been amazing Camera coverage all over the course and showing multiple players has been great. I love how they go to the range and I also love the flashbacks

Golf A Game For A Lifetime

I sort of watch golf on TV.  Mostly, I nap or read while golf is on.  I remember many years ago, one of the networks tried broadcasting football games with an announcer only giving the down and distance.  This was a response to people's complaints of the inanity of the announcers.  It bombed.  People hated it.  In general, golf announcers don't bother me.  If it did I would mute the sound.  Problem solved.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

This week, I am watching the Sky Sports broadcast of the US Open.  Why? Because their commentary is usually minimal and does not belabor the obvious. Also, I like Nick Faldo's thoughts on the situation and the thought process of the players.  I was saddened when he retired from CBS sports.

Much of the time, my "watching" is sidelined by other activities of life while I'm home.

I wish Dan Hicks would get temporary laryngitis in the last hour of the broadcast - He talks too much about the obvious.