7 Wood vs 4 Hybrid?

Posted (edited)

Hard swinging High Handicap newbie here again,

looking to fill out my bag

Currently have AI Smoke Max Driver and 3w each with Denali Black XS

JPX923 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW

Looking to gap distance between 3w and 5i.

3w is consistently 230-250 and very straight when hit even sort of well

5i very consistently 195-205 and easy to hit consistently.

whats trade offs between 7w and 4H to fill the gap?

hit both and like both. 7 would seems straighter and more consistent albeit harder to hit. 4H super hot off the face and easy to hit every.single.time but a lot more R to L dispersion and movement- which is something I fight bad right now regardless

I know 7w have had a bit of a resurgence lately and hybrids have had a place in folks bags for awhile- pros and cons from our MGS experts on each? 

Will likely follow suit with ai smoke max versions of either

Edited by Dl_harmsen

It really depends on your goals and what you want to see from the ballflight out of that slot in your bag. A 7w will most likely launch higher and land softer, while a 4h will most likely fly a little lower and give you more runout. 

I played a Callaway Heavenwood which is roughly the equivalent of a 7w for many years and I loved it. I only pulled it from the bag for a Cleveland Hy-Wood which I found to be even more forgiving, especially in less than ideal lies. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Might be worth trying a Callaway apex utility wood, the 21 degree. I use one and love it off the tee, off the fairway and as a rescue club. I found a 4 hybrid often went left but the UW, goes much straighter. Good luck

GEG (Golf Equipment Geek)

4 hours ago, Dl_harmsen said:

I know 7w have had a bit of a resurgence lately and hybrids have had a place in folks bags for awhile- pros and cons from our MGS experts on each?

I’ve always used hybrids to fill the gap between my 3W and 4 iron. It’s easier to hit and I feel I can hit any shot I want with it. You can get them to launch high you need to manipulate the shot to do it. 

With the numbers you called out any particular reason you wouldn’t consider adding a 4-iron? I guess it comes down to what club you would be most confident with hitting the 220 yard shot.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S (currently Testing AI Smoke🔹🔹🔹)

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

2024 Skytrak+ Official Forum Test

6 hours ago, Dl_harmsen said:

Hard swinging High Handicap newbie here again,

looking to fill out my bag

Currently have AI Smoke Max Driver and 3w each with Denali Black XS

JPX923 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW

Looking to gap distance between 3w and 5i.

3w is consistently 230-250 and very straight when hit even sort of well

5i very consistently 195-205 and easy to hit consistently.

whats trade offs between 7w and 4H to fill the gap?

hit both and like both. 7 would seems straighter and more consistent albeit harder to hit. 4H super hot off the face and easy to hit every.single.time but a lot more R to L dispersion and movement- which is something I fight bad right now regardless

Will likely follow suit with ai smoke max versions of either

If you are swinging that fast that you are x-stiff, I suggest going lower with irons.  I am no great shakes, but I have a driving iron 3 and a rare Mizuno GFF hollow body 24 degree loft iron.  Or do a 5 wood.  I go 3w, 5w, 3 driving iron, 4 24 degree iron., then to the 6 iron. 

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

My fitter took my 4hy out of my bag and replaced with a Stealth2 7w. Same distance, but Intent was a softer landing shot for those long approaches.  Man Was he right, never going back to the hybrid. Good luck. 

New Years Resolution - Play Better Golf (and more golf too)!

Bag has changed over the years. In the past, fitted for 3w/3h/5h — Now carry 5w/7w which are straighter, higher & softer landing; tighter dispersion for marginal distance loss.

Driver:    :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 12.5’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 19.0’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 21.0’ Heavenwood

Hybrid:   :callaway-logo-1:  Paradym-X. A-Light. 24.0’

Irons:      :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’ / 54’

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: RTX. Full Face. Wedge. 58’

Putter:       :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

As a general rule, 7 wood will launch higher. And fly a little longer.  It’s really a situation where you need to hit both and see what works best. Long hitters on the tour use both, some even carry 9 woods.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

I play Driver, 5w, 4h. I’ve tried the 7w and did like distance and ability to land it soft. I prefer the 4 hybrid instead, in my opinion, it’s better for me because I tend to find myself in rough or in an undesirable lie. I use a 2014 TM Rescue 4h 22 degree. That thing has a steel sole and can take a beating when the going gets rough. Pun intended.

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 / Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Wood: Taylormade SIM 5w Ti / Fujikura Speeder (TM/TP Tour Spec) 7.3 X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 4h 22* / Graphite Design G95 (TM/TP) Rescue X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Irons: Taylormade P-770 5-Aw / KBS Tour 130 X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54* 10-S, Callaway Jaws 58* 10-S / KBS Tour 130 X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Putter: Oddyssey Metal X Milled 1W Japan / Stock Shaft / Golf Pride Pro Only 88cc Green Star Corded Pistol Grip 

Ball: Titleist Prov1 / 2024 Taylormade TP5x

Seems you have a similar gap problem to me. I was looking for something in between my 6 iron (struggling with it) and 5 wood ( hit it 200 to 210). I bought a 4 hybrid and found I could hit it 190 to 205. So now have a 7 wood (Cobra Dark Speed) adjusted to 22.5 degree and that seems to be doing the job in the 180 range. I have taken the 5 wood out of the bag for now.

2047944378_Golfbag.png.8fe7821c77c9ca1e793b3835840c816b.png

Posted (edited)

After years carrying a 3h or 4h, last year the Titleist demo day fitter talked me into a 7w instead. I never liked hybrids, so I am not finding the 7w any harder to hit. I prefer the 7w trajectory, higher and lands softer - since I use the 7w for long approaches more often than otherwise, landing soft is a plus. And on a windy day I use my 4i if the 7w is just too high. I have zero interest in going back to a hybrid. FWIW

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

I also prefer lofted fairway woods to hybrids, but because of that, an extra long club takes a space in my bag.

If I had a driver, a fairway wood, and two hybrids like a lot of players today, I could use the longer hybrid as a safety driving iron. It would have a short enough shaft to keep me in a comfort zone.

With a driver and three fairways woods, I have to sacrifice a wedge to make room for a driving iron.   

Well, I suppose I wouldn't HAVE to.
I just like to hit a driving iron into tight landing areas.
It's worth it to me. 

I use both my 21* 7 wood is turned down to 20* and my 21* 4 hybrid is set at 22* I get a perfect 10 yard gap this way.  Fits right in with the irons gapping.

Driver Titleist Tsi 3 9.75*
Fairway Titleist 5, 7 woods

Hybrd Titleist TSR 2 21* or

Utility iron Mizuno HiFly 4

Irons Mizuno Pro 245 5-P

Wedges Vokey SM9 48*, 54*, and 58*

Putter Scotty Cameron Newport super select

Ball Titleist ProV 1X

38 minutes ago, Bob Jerabek said:

I use both my 21* 7 wood is turned down to 20* and my 21* 4 hybrid is set at 22* I get a perfect 10 yard gap this way.  Fits right in with the irons gapping.

I also do a heavenwood and a 4 H with similar adjustment to lofts. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

All depends on how you want the ball to fly. 7 wood - lots of loft and lands softly.  hybrid- lower flight and roll ( shorter air carry) so are you trying to carry water and traps or hitting to open fairways?

Posted (edited)

Following this. I too will likely to have a similar gap in my bag and will be looking for ideas. Currently using a 4 Hybrid pretty well so will be looking to plug the gap between that and the 3 wood (currently replenishing funds after ordering a new driver) 

I hit my 5 iron about 200-210 and my 4 Hybrid about 220-230 so it would be good to get more information and ideas.

Alex

Edited by alexchung

WITB 2024

Driver - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5* (Oban Isawa Red 65g 4 Flex)

Fairway Wood - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 15* 3 Wood (Oban Isawa Red 75g 4 Flex)

Hybrid - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4 21* Hybrid (Accra FX Gen 3 300H M4)

Irons - Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-GW (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff, 1* Weak Loft, Flat)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM10 Tour Chrome 56.10S,  60.08M (Nippon Modus Tour 125 Stiff, 1.5* Flat)

Putter - L.A.B Golf Link 1 (33", 69* lie)

Ball - Srixon Z Star Diamond / Titleist ProV1x

I spent some time on the driving range last week, going through my bag and found a similar situation. 

My 7W and 4H were too similar in distances but the 4H was not as consistent left to right. 

I ended up keeping the 7W in the bag. 

Since I tend to walk a majority of the time I didn't want to keep everything in the bag, trying to keep the weight down. 

I pulled my 4H, 3W and 5H out of the bag. 

Kept the 5W, 7W and 7H. 

There was a bigger difference between my 7W and 7H in distance. 

I've only been playing golf for a year (this is my second season. 

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

On 6/5/2024 at 10:43 AM, Bob Jerabek said:

I can see how that would work out.

I WISH that I could hit hybrids better.  I think that maybe I didn't work at it enough and got discouraged too fast.  Not playing hybrids costs me a wedge spot in my bag.

Consider.

1. driver
2. 20° driving iron.
3. 18° fairway wood
4. 21° fairway wood
5. 24° fairway wood

Now,

1. driver
2. 18° fairway wood
3. 21° hybrid
4. 24° hybrid

If I played the more modern top end of driver, one fairway wood, and two hybrids,
even the longer hybrid would be short-shafted enough to serve as a safe driving iron. 
Hybrids would preclude my need for a driving iron.

4 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I can see how that would work out.

I WISH that I could hit hybrids better.  I think that maybe I didn't work at it enough and got discouraged too fast.  Not playing hybrids costs me a wedge spot in my bag.

Consider.

1. driver
2. 20° driving iron.
3. 18° fairway wood
4. 21° fairway wood
5. 24° fairway wood

Now,

1. driver
2. 18° fairway wood
3. 21° hybrid
4. 24° hybrid

If I played the more modern top end of driver, one fairway wood, and two hybrids,
even the longer hybrid would be short-shafted enough to serve as a safe driving iron. 
Hybrids would preclude my need for a driving iron.

I like the 7 wood a lot, consider the 7 wood instead of the 21* hybrid, it will give you more confidence .

Driver Titleist Tsi 3 9.75*
Fairway Titleist 5, 7 woods

Hybrd Titleist TSR 2 21* or

Utility iron Mizuno HiFly 4

Irons Mizuno Pro 245 5-P

Wedges Vokey SM9 48*, 54*, and 58*

Putter Scotty Cameron Newport super select

Ball Titleist ProV 1X

Have experimented quite a bit over the last few years at the top end of my bag after Arccos data identified some issues.

Have gravitated to the following set up: 9 degree driver, 16.5 deg. 3 wood, 21 deg. 7 wood and 24 deg. 5 hybrid.  Top iron is a 26 deg. 5 iron.

The 5 hybrid took the place of my 4 iron and it is my 185-195 club.  The 7 wood took the place of my 3 iron and it is my 205-215 club.  The 7 wood flies much higher than the 5 hybrid.

As someone who naturally plays a draw I too struggle with some hybrids and higher lofted fairway woods wanting to go way left.

The problem I’ve had is finding a 7 wood set up for a stronger and faster player.  Most of the stock shafts are too light, have high torque, and are designed to help get the ball up in the air.

If you are comfortable tinkering with clubs then it won’t be an issue.

Once you get dialed in with a heavier and stiffer premium fitted shaft for the 7 wood you will likely love it.

Currently playing the Diamana Thump F 85 Stiff in my 7 wood.  Previously played a Graphite Design Tour AD TP 8S that now resides in my buddy’s 7 wood.

Good luck in your search.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

It depends on where I am on the fairway or rough and whether I am going for distance or height and a softer landing. If in the fairway or longer rough I will use the hybrid. I just can't seem to get much height with my hybrids. If I feelI get reach the green especially if elevated I use a 7w which gives me more height ,softer landing and less run out. I no longer use a 3w. Too hard to hit and use  a 4w, 7w and a 24 hybrid. Lose a liitle distance, but it is much easier playing from the fairway.

PXG woods,hybrids and irons- gen1; sugar daddy wedges; SC mallet putter

Sorry for being late to the party, but I think you might be targeting the wrong clubs. 

Your 3W is 15 degrees and your 5iron is 22 degrees. So you might instead want to be looking at 5 woods and 3 hybrids, something that's falling into that 18-19 degree territory. 

From there, as others have said, it probably is going to come down to what your goals are. Do you play a bunch of courses? Or do you play one/a select few. From that answer, what are you needing the gap to do? Give you a consistent 220ish high shot? Or something where you probably need it to be lower and a bit hotter?

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I am getting about the same distance with my 7W and my 5H, both are Cobra LTDx. I have my 7 set at 22.5*+1.5* is also 24* ... I might drop the loft of the 7W back to 22.5* but it might then come closer to my 5W. #stupidgame. 

Click * Point * Chute

All of 2023 I went with a 7W as this year it's a 4H, shorter shaft easier to hit with more control over a 7 wood. Nothing wrong if your playing a 7W as they can definitely help your game as well as hybrids can

Driver:titleist-small: GT2 9*  w/ ARETERA Alpha One Blue 55-3

3W :titleist-small: GT 2 13.5* W/ Graphite Design Tour AD-VF 5 

5W :taylormade-small: Qi10 w/ :Fuji: NX Speeder TCS 5

4H: :taylormade-small: Qi10 w/:Fuji: NX Speeder TCS 5

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: i530 5-PW w/ :Fuji: AXIOM 75 shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

Bag: :titleist-small: FOLDS of HONOR

I have 16.5 degree 3(4) wood, 21 degree 7w turned to 19.5, 22 degree 4H and 24 degree 5H and it works for me! 7 wood and 4H were similar distances till I tinkered with lofts, but have different uses depending on what flight im looking for.

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver; Graphite Design Tour AD VF-6 S / UB-6 S

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 3HL 16.5: Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

default_ping-small.jpg G430 7w: Ping Chrome 75 S. Set to 20*

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg TSR2 5H: Project X HZRDS Red 85 S. Set to 23*

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png.70d0971d1cb119b4c524ed52223a24c4.png 0211 DC 5-G: KBS TGI 80 S

Cleveland.jpg.b864b0bf721691b75cd50b9ee634890e.jpg.b6dc20b7fb31f49c6385d2e9299c52ec.jpg CBX 54: Rotex Wedge; CBX2 Zipcore 58: Project X Catalyst Spinner 80 

Screenshot2024-06-20102640.png.8ddd17fe8171208d828937758e6ebd54.png M.Craft OMOI Type 06

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg  ProV1x ; Linksmaster Bag

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png