Playing Blades as a 20+ hcp...

Yes, you read correctly, I am a 20+ hcp playing blades. 

This past Saturday me and my buddy went to Golf Galaxy to find him a newer driver. We start testing used drivers in their practice bays and he isn't loving any of the drivers and I'm wanting to swing some of their irons for fun while we have a free Saturday and not pressed to be anywhere soon. I grab the 7 iron of a Titleist 620mb. walk over to my buddy and we have never swung a blade because we have only heard nightmares of the difficulty and skill it requires to wield such a weapon. My buddy looks at me with doubt and fear that what we are about to do is ridiculous and I should just go put it up and never speak of this incident again. To my surprise he grabs it and begins swinging. What happened during the next 30 minutes of us essentially swinging the whole set of irons is what led me to this decision of gaming blades. 

I have never felt the melting sensation of the golf ball on a club like I did with these blades and it made me question everything.

"Why was I afraid of these?" 

"Why does this feel so good?" 

"What is the point of me having Game improvement irons if I don't enjoy swinging them like this?" ,

"Why do I play Golf? to be the best I can be? or to have the most fun possible?" 

this was the exact progression of my thoughts as I was swinging these clubs. I will be honest and say I didn't hit every shot perfect obviously but between the looks of the irons, the feel, the joy of swinging these, the satisfaction of middling one knowing its difficult to do on a blade overtook the bad shots and the feeling of topping it and it only going 50 yards. But I want to share with you the epiphany me and my buddy had while in Golf Galaxy. I will note that my buddy has done the same although he is a much better golfer he has purchased blades and is not gaming them because of this experience. Here are my complete thoughts and true convictions from this event in history that led me to purchase a set of Titleist 690MB irons.

Why am I playing Golf? Is to be the best and score the lowest I can with the time and money I've got to practice and play? or to get the most enjoyment out of the game and have as much fun I can even if it means not being the best I potentially can? A thing to notice is only one of those questions will lead to an endless pursuit and I may not even get there while the other is obtainable every time I book a tee time. The answer was simple for me. I just want to have fun playing this game. I don't have the time to dedicate practice and playing to be the best i can without neglecting my wife and I don't have the money it takes to get multiple lessons a year and newer clubs each season. So I am playing blades because to me they look the best. they feel the best. I enjoy them the most. I will say that it is a completely different game when you don't have the big GI iron head that will power through all terrains and give you the same outcome. with blades you have to take the lie and conditions more into account with every shot which I love. I feel like it is how the game is suppose to be played. However this leads not only to me playing blades but it permeates through the whole Golf bag. I love Tiger in the 2000's so I want the driver and fairway woods he used back then. I Love Ping putters so I'm going to be playing the Ping Anser regardless if it fits my game or not, because as a 20+ hcp and a weekend golfer I'm not good enough nor do I have the time to stress if my irons fit my correctly or if the weight of my driver shaft is too light or if my irons have the correct lie angle. So take a couple hours and go hit some shots at Golf galaxy and hit the clubs you really want to regardless if your "good" enough to hit them. Golf is a fun game so have fun playing it.

I am curious on other perspectives on why people play golf so leave a comment on why you play this game.

thank you guys for reading this! 

Driver: Taylormade 300ti mini driver 10.5*

3 Wood: N/A

4H: Titliest 818 H1 21*

Irons: 5-PW Srixon Z545

Wedges: Vokey sm5 52*, Vokey sm5 56*

Putter: Cleveland Huntington beach Soft milled 11

Calling @GolfSpy_BEN

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have played blades when I was a higher handicap and still own a set that I bring out every once in a while. I love them, the look, feel and sound they produce is special. That said I am trying to shoot better scores and the misses they have do make things more difficult and lead to I would say 4 or more strokes worse on any given round. Will that stop me from loving them? Of course not and I will still bring them out from time to time. 

In the end we are playing this game for the enjoyment and however a golf gets that, good on them!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I say play whatever you feel comfortable with! I don't play blades not necessarily b/c I don't think I'm 'good enough' to use them but more so we have the tech and forgiving irons are all I need. I don't try to shape the ball but just looking for consistently and forgiveness for the many times I don't hit the center of the club face. I like the look of blades which is why I play the TM 790's kinda has that look but w/ all the forgiveness I need for my round. That said, play what you want and have fun! 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag

Posted (edited)

I would wholeheartedly encourage playing blades/ players irons. They give good feedback that your body subconsciously remembers. It also helps you really figure out what you are doing when you mishit the ball. You grow with them. As you get better, you can utilize them better!  

Edited by christianskyholloman
Grammar

I should be pro by now…

:mizuno-small: ST-190

:taylormade-small: M2 3 Wood

:nike-small: SQ 2 Hybrid
:macgregor-small: MT-Pro Irons

:titleist-small: SM4 Vokey Wedges
:taylormade-small: Spider tour X Putter

Play whatever you like, if it makes you happy and makes you want to go golfing more that's all that matters in the long run. 

I'm a big fan of playing whatever helps you the most and allows you to score the best, but makes you happy when you look down at it. I know a man far smarter than me @chisag feels the same. If that's blades for you, then so be it. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Posted (edited)

I have completely flipped on this topic. I used to think what the OP said is insane (several years ago). Now I think, play what you like and get enjoyment out of. I chased "forgiveness" and "game improvement" in large soled, big offset clubs for a period of my life. Eventually I tried thinner soles and less offset and it works a lot better for me. I don't play blades but I think I could. Ultimately, the game is supposed to be fun and if you have fun hitting blades vs some other club then do so. If you could score waaaay better with different clubs then maybe that is something to consider but only if it brings you more enjoyment. 

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

When I started playing in 2019. I found a used set of Mizuno T-Zoids for $20 and while they felt good on center hits, there was no forgiveness on toe strikes. The face would just fold and the ball would go left (I'm a lefty). I've played different iron sets since then can tell you, anything with perimeter weighting is much easier on the joints and goes straighter.

I'd love to get a set of blades one day but Ping i230s are close enough for me.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 8* w/Tensei AV White 65-S

Callaway Superhybrid 3 17* and 4 20* w/Steelfiber 75 FC

Ping i2305 4-PW w/DG 105g

TaylorMade MG3 50/54/58 wedges w/DG S200

Odyssey Number 10 Slant Neck

Maxfli Tour Ball

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

As the forum’s self-appointed blade enthusiast, I wholeheartedly endorse this point of view. There will be naysayers that post after me, expressing all manner of opinion regarding what you should be playing, ignore them. It is all useless noise. None of them are swinging the club, so their opinion matters very little.

If you find joy in swinging a blade, then I encourage you to continue doing so, until you don’t. I also firmly believe that hitting balls with blades will make you a better ball striker, as the alternative can be painful and it is basic human nature to avoid pain, when possible. I own a set of Callaway Apex MB’s and bring them out occasionally, to remember what pure feel like. Enjoy them!

Its like an electric shock when you hit off center 🙂

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

Play them and if you play them well, enjoy.  They are less forgiving but the feel of them is unlike any other club. 

Did I need these..... no.

Do I play them every round..... no

Do I love hitting them.... YES.

20240520_153616.jpg.b7b20f5780f21af1ecab41c21540b156.jpg

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

Play them and if you play them well, enjoy.  They are less forgiving but the feel of them is unlike any other club. 

Did I need these..... no.

Do I play them every round..... no

Do I love hitting them.... YES.

20240520_153616.jpg.b7b20f5780f21af1ecab41c21540b156.jpg

What are they?

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

I will agree with the other people in this thread. If you are a 20 HC and you want to play blades because you enjoy them more then go ahead. They will pretty much be a training aid to teach you how to center up the ball properly and teach you to have more control over your swing than just trying to swing hard every time. Plus if you enjoy the game and get out more because of it then that is an added benefit. 

When your handicap drops closer to 10, I think your opinion will change slightly because at that point you have dedicated enough of your time to it that your score is more important than anything. At that point you will probably want to go to a mixed bag where your P-7 is more bladed, and your 6-4 is more cavity. When I say more cavity, I still don't mean those HUGE game improvement clubs though. Something like a Srixon ZX7 & ZX5 combo. 

Example: 10 HC player playing a 190 yard par 3.... With blades you hit your 5 iron 193 so you hit it and its a little off the toe. You lose 10 yards and end up in the bunker. If you are playing a cavity back you will probably be hitting your 5 iron 195. Then if you hit it off the toe you lose 5 yards instead of 10 and are pin high. 

Callaway Max LS - XS

Ping G430 3w

4-pw Mizuno JPX Tours 923

TM Wedges

Bett - SS9 Putter

54 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Play whatever you like, if it makes you happy and makes you want to go golfing more that's all that matters in the long run. 

I'm a big fan of playing whatever helps you the most and allows you to score the best, but makes you happy when you look down at it. I know a man far smarter than me @chisag feels the same. If that's blades for you, then so be it. 

... There are shades of gray for sure but basically we fall into one or two camps. Irons are simply tools to help you accomplish a goal. "Forgiveness" is a very relative term when it comes to equipment. If you slice or hook the ball there is a good chance a lower spinning iron like a Players Distance iron P790/770 will provide the kind of forgiveness you need and reduce the severity of your slice/hook, even if the hollow head and thin face also produces longer shots when you may not need more distance. This is true for may other attributes in an iron. One of the reasons quality fitter can get you in the right forgiveness that helps you play your best golf.

... One of my personal pet peeve I see on other forums, but thankfully usually not here on MGS is MB's make you a better ball striker when nothing could be further from the truth. Swinging well and hitting good shots make you a better ball striker. Virtually all of my students improved when they had positive feedback. Negative feedback more often than not produced negative attitudes and negatives results. Those that say they concentrate more with an MB because "a CB that lets them get away with swinging more aggressively" somehow miss the obvious as that is a mental issue, not a club design issue. 

... The Players Iron category changed things forever for the better and aspiring better player. King Tours/T100's/ Blueprint S irons all provide MB like performance and feel with CB like forgiveness are the best of both worlds and make MB's irrelevant of all but the very best ball strikes on the planet. I played many sets of MB's and still own a set of Z Blades I break out a couple times a year because they are fun to play, but mostly to remind me why I play a more forgiving iron. 

... The 2nd camp is playing for reasons other than just shooting your best score. I would liken it to a high school baseball player using a wooden bat. It feels soooo sweet when barreled up, the grain looks very cool and has a classic appeal. Sure an aluminum bat produces higher bat and ball speeds and your chances of getting a hit are much better but it ain't a beautiful and pleasing sounding wood bat. There are folks extremely happy to exclusively play MB's and Persimmon woods and find it very rewarding. Then there are those that just fall for the seductive MB Sirens Song of look and feel and just enjoy playing them. Sure they want to shoot a low score but that goal is secondary to having fun, being a purist, embracing the challenge and a myriad of other personal reasons to play MB's. As always your choice is your choice. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

26 minutes ago, billpierce said:

What are they?

Toura

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

If I remember correctly, blades were pretty much the only choice available when I started out.

I played with hand-me-down Wilson Staffs from my uncle. Still have them. Sentiment.

Then the hard stainless steel era came in and investment cast irons took on all kinds of shapes.
I still have the Spalding Executives that were my first new set.
They were definitely not blades but quite playable for me.

My Titleist DCI 962s were also stainless steel, and while more conventional looking than the Spaldings, they weren't really blades either.  That's the other old set that I had to keep.  Had too much fun with them, also, to say goodbye.

Now players of all levels seem to be playing shiny clubs, again, or at least satin finished chromed versions,  but mine still have cavities.  I don't know whether it's a good idea or not for average players to bag pure blades, but I'd suggest playing with whatever you want.  If you're spending four grand or so on a new set of clubs instead of being paid to play them,
I imagine that you're not of a humor to be told what to do.

3 hours ago, Seth.Tunstall said:

I'm wanting to swing some of their irons for fun while we have a free Saturday and not pressed to be anywhere soon. I grab the 7 iron of a Titleist 620mb. walk over to my buddy and we have never swung a blade because we have only heard nightmares of the difficulty and skill it requires to wield such a weapon.

... This is one of the fallacies surrounding MB's. They are no more difficult to swing well than any other iron. Nor does it take more skill to wield an MB than an even an SGI iron. But they are less forgiving and for many, much less forgiving with their typical miss. And of course if you don't hit the center regularly they don't feel very good or produce decent results compared to something more forgiving. Those that have made it to a low index all know that the game isn't about how good are your best shots, it is about how good are your misses. 

... One of the mistakes I see many make that are looking to shoot their lowest scores is confusing the performance of any club standing in one spot and grooving their swing with a given club. Sure, you can hit an MB 5 iron 10 times in a row and hit several excellent shots but probably a few poor shots too. This is just radically different than not hitting your 5 iron once til the 13th island green that requires your best swing and contact. You want something that helps your less than ideal swing and contact stay on land. Granted a bad swing with any iron will produce bad results and an SGI won't keep those swings dry either, but your average miss should be one green or fringe if not near the flag. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

As the forum’s self-appointed blade enthusiast, I wholeheartedly endorse this point of view. There will be naysayers that post after me, expressing all manner of opinion regarding what you should be playing, ignore them. It is all useless noise. None of them are swinging the club, so their opinion matters very little.

If you find joy in swinging a blade, then I encourage you to continue doing so, until you don’t. I also firmly believe that hitting balls with blades will make you a better ball striker, as the alternative can be painful and it is basic human nature to avoid pain, when possible. I own a set of Callaway Apex MB’s and bring them out occasionally, to remember what pure feel like. Enjoy them!

M6 driver, Tokomo 3 wood, Calloway 3and 4 hybrid, tokomo irons 5-p/w  volkey gap taylormade s/w bettenardi 60... odyssey putter or Ping pld  

I agree !!!! I have a set of Mizuno TN 87s .. That I will break out every now and then to keep me in reality.  Its crazy how technology has come so far.  I miss hit with my Tokomos I only lose a couple of yards ... a miss hit with those Tommys you lose 20+  It will for sure make you a better ball striker !!!!    

M6 driver, Tokomo 3 wood, Calloway 3and 4 hybrid, tokomo irons 5-p/w  volkey gap taylormade s/w bettenardi 60... odyssey putter or Ping pld  

My first set of clubs were hogan blades my dad gave me. I loved them, except when it was cold.

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

I  agree with you. This is a game. A source of entertainment and relaxation to a lot of people. We as a society have turned everything into a competition, do you win or lose when you play a solo round? There is no winning or losing designed into the game. So play what brings you the enjoyment or challenge you desire.

D TM Sim 2 65g Tensi Blue Stiff

3W TM Sim2 Ti 65g Tensi Blue Stiff

5W TM Sim2 Ti 65g Tensi Blue Stiff

4-G Maltby KE4 Max Matrix Ozik Program F15 85g Stiff

54º Cleveland CBX Project X Catalyst Spinner 80g

60º Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 Project X Catalyst Spinner 80g

11 minutes ago, Stinger1988 said:

I  agree with you. This is a game. A source of entertainment and relaxation to a lot of people. We as a society have turned everything into a competition, do you win or lose when you play a solo round? There is no winning or losing designed into the game. So play what brings you the enjoyment or challenge you desire.

Bagger Vance: Nah, actually, I positioned myself right in front of you, 'cause from the way your swings were goin', I figured that was the safest place.

D TM Sim 2 65g Tensi Blue Stiff

3W TM Sim2 Ti 65g Tensi Blue Stiff

5W TM Sim2 Ti 65g Tensi Blue Stiff

4-G Maltby KE4 Max Matrix Ozik Program F15 85g Stiff

54º Cleveland CBX Project X Catalyst Spinner 80g

60º Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 Project X Catalyst Spinner 80g

I love nothing better than looking at a set of blades (former Mizuno TP19, MP33, Nike Blade, Bridgestone J33 owner) and like a certain shoe company says Just Do It. At the end of the day its about enjoyment and having fun on the golf course, if you have something that you like the look of and feel of then that is half the battle.

Alex 

WITB 2024

Driver - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5* (Oban Isawa Red 65g 4 Flex)

Fairway Wood - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 15* 3 Wood (Oban Isawa Red 75g 4 Flex)

Hybrid - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4 21* Hybrid (Accra FX Gen 3 300H M4)

Irons - Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-GW (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff, 1* Weak Loft, Flat)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM10 Tour Chrome 56.10S,  60.08M (Nippon Modus Tour 125 Stiff, 1.5* Flat)

Putter - L.A.B Golf Link 1 (33", 69* lie)

Ball - Srixon Z Star Diamond / Titleist ProV1x

My current irons are a set of Wilson signature retail blades from the 60s. I am a high handicapper. My iron ball striking is the best part of my game. Not saying I am some pro ball striker but it is my driver and wedge game that wrack up the unwanted strokes. 

As my others have said game what gives you joy. 

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

I've often contemplated the best description of that heavenly feeling we get when we absolutely flush a forged blade. I think "orgasmic" is a bit of an exaggeration... but close. I'll never forget that moment I hit a friends muscle back blade 5i, probably 20 years ago. Dead center, dead straight, first swing. I needed a moment to just let that feeling course through my body and then come back to earth and remember where I was. But then there's that shock that travels up our arms and into the top of our heads when we mis-hit blades (especially on a cold day). To me, the two extremes, the risk/reward factor, make blades the perfect training clubs. 

I have a set of Titleist 690 CB's and a set of 690 MB's. I've mix-matched them, using the CB 3 through 7 and the MB 8, 9 and P as my practice set when I play casually, walking 9 holes with a buddy or by myself. That gives me the pleasure of hitting a few flush blades and keeps my swing tight. Then, as I play in a couple different senior competitive rounds per week, I play my Titleist T 350's as my gamers. Works for me!

IMG_4267.jpeg

Dr: G430Max10K

3W, 5W: Stealth 2+

4i - 9i: T350

P, G, S, L: Vokey

Putter: Bettinardi BB46

It's your game - enjoy yourself - just don't complain about mishits and distance lost on those mishits. I love the look of many blades; but I still want to be competitive in my club events. My sub70 699 pro's are a nice compromise for my 18-19 handicap.

On 6/6/2024 at 2:11 PM, christianskyholloman said:

I would wholeheartedly encourage playing blades/ players irons. They give good feedback that your body subconsciously remembers. It also helps you really figure out what you are doing when you mishit the ball. You grow with them. As you get better, you can utilize them better!  

Welcome to the forums.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

9 hours ago, Arbee456 said:

I've often contemplated the best description of that heavenly feeling we get when we absolutely flush a forged blade. I think "orgasmic" is a bit of an exaggeration... but close. I'll never forget that moment I hit a friends muscle back blade 5i, probably 20 years ago. Dead center, dead straight, first swing. I needed a moment to just let that feeling course through my body and then come back to earth and remember where I was. But then there's that shock that travels up our arms and into the top of our heads when we mis-hit blades (especially on a cold day). To me, the two extremes, the risk/reward factor, make blades the perfect training clubs. 

I have a set of Titleist 690 CB's and a set of 690 MB's. I've mix-matched them, using the CB 3 through 7 and the MB 8, 9 and P as my practice set when I play casually, walking 9 holes with a buddy or by myself. That gives me the pleasure of hitting a few flush blades and keeps my swing tight. Then, as I play in a couple different senior competitive rounds per week, I play my Titleist T 350's as my gamers. Works for me!

IMG_4267.jpeg

@Arbee456 welcome to the forums. Your input is appreciated.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Sounds like something I would do on a spur of the moment decision but the reality is, is that hitting blades off a turf mat in the store does not even a little bit equate to how to play them on the course. Yes blades are cool and look beautiful but shooting low with looks even cooler. I’d be impressed with someone hitting blades till I watched them chunk it around the course. 
For me if I’m not improving at something I don’t see a point in doing it. I have a friend that bought used blades cause he didn’t know anything about golf and bought them not realizing the mistake and his constant excuse now is that he’s playing blades and just needs to get better. Well if he doesn’t take the time to practice then I’m going to continue to give him a hard time as he hacks away at the golf course. I don’t understand buying something that you know doesn’t fit you and then continuing to use it, but that’s just me.

As far as practice, most people have the time to hit a basket of balls. I have 3 jobs, workout, and still manage to squeeze in the 20 mins to hit a basket and/or use my putting mat in the house. My wife always has my full attention and even she sees when I come home after playing a frustrating round and she tells me to go to the range. But she knows that if I do bad at something I will obsess over it and it’ll bother me for days. Why can’t she go with you to the range or let you roll some putts on the carpet. 
End of the day if your happy then more power to you but if you haven’t set yourself up for success only you are the one to blame

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse.