PXG Gen 7 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

Played a tough course today that I haven't ever played.  The course is a shot makers course and one I should have kept the driver in the bag most of the day.  Driver was a little sporadic today and the PXG Gen 7 irons bailed me out all day long!  We had some long par 3s with elevation changes and I could count on my distances all day. 

20240925_095123.jpg.362e92919b0b30c5f35ea431dd73ddd2.jpg

20240925_105113.jpg.d20a21736d0d293d9e7de63527d392e0.jpg

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

2 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Played a tough course today that I haven't ever played.  The course is a shot makers course and one I should have kept the driver in the bag most of the day.  Driver was a little sporadic today and the PXG Gen 7 irons bailed me out all day long!  We had some long par 3s with elevation changes and I could count on my distances all day. 

20240925_095123.jpg.362e92919b0b30c5f35ea431dd73ddd2.jpg

20240925_105113.jpg.d20a21736d0d293d9e7de63527d392e0.jpg

It looks like you had a beautiful day to be out playing and that course looks nice! I'm glad to hear the irons came through for you. 

Just now, sirchunksalot said:

It looks like you had a beautiful day to be out playing and that course looks nice! I'm glad to hear the irons came through for you. 

The greens on the back 9 were tough. Apparently some were just redone and others looked like my home course. Haha. They had them heavily sanded and super slow. Couldn't hit it hard enough half the time. Super fun track though. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

9 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

The greens on the back 9 were tough. Apparently some were just redone and others looked like my home course. Haha. They had them heavily sanded and super slow. Couldn't hit it hard enough half the time. Super fun track though. 

It looks like it would be fun even though I'm never at my best on targety courses. I have the bad habit of relying on driver way too much. 

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

It looks like it would be fun even though I'm never at my best on targety courses. I have the bad habit of relying on driver way too much. 

Yeah I played it today just casual with friends but normally I would play less than driver and for scoring. It's how I will play it the next time I play it 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

While listening in on the community call today I was really struggling to keep my excitement in! I shot my best round of the year and 1 shy of my best score ever! If only I hadn’t tried to use my driver on 2 holes before giving in and playing 5 wood and 4 iron off the tee boxes only then I would’ve flirted with breaking 80.. Of course I forgot to get any pictures but I’m coming home happy with an 84 and 1 more work day before a vacation. 

Edited by Coulter

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, PXG 0311 P Gen 7 irons (4-GW), 54&58 degree Sub70 246 wedges, Tommy Armour #2 wide blade putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

I almost forgot that on hole 6 I hit a freaking rope right at the flag and lost the ball as it rolled up to the pin. I couldn’t see it as I drove up and almost lost my mind. I even turned my video back on as I walked up and prepared to interrupt the call with my 1st HIO just to see my ball hanging out just on the fringe in a low spot directly behind the flag. I must’ve missed by inches and it just rolled out a bit more than I thought.

Edited by Coulter

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, PXG 0311 P Gen 7 irons (4-GW), 54&58 degree Sub70 246 wedges, Tommy Armour #2 wide blade putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

48 minutes ago, Coulter said:

While listening in on the community call today I was really struggling to keep my excitement in! I shot my best round of the year and 1 shy of my best score ever! If only I hadn’t tried to use my driver on 2 holes before giving in and playing 5 wood and 4 iron off the tee boxes only then I would’ve flirted with breaking 80.. Of course I forgot to get any pictures but I’m coming home happy with an 84 and 1 more work day before a vacation. 

Sounds like the PXG irons are setting you up for an all-time low before too long!

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Just now, Josh Parker said:

Sounds like the PXG irons are setting you up for an all-time low before too long!

I had a handful of shots other than using my driver that was just stupid mistakes that would’ve put me under 80 today. A couple of horrible chip shots and 2.. yes 2! 3 putts which I never do! Then there was that one 5 iron that I hit WAY to the right. Then checked my stance and the ball went exactly where I was pointed. 
I want this round back because that break 80 badge would’ve been mine. These irons are great and I’m thinking I may need to check out the Pxg drivers judging by how the call went today. 

Just now, Coulter said:

I had a handful of shots other than using my driver that was just stupid mistakes that would’ve put me under 80 today. A couple of horrible chip shots and 2.. yes 2! 3 putts which I never do! Then there was that one 5 iron that I hit WAY to the right. Then checked my stance and the ball went exactly where I was pointed. 
I want this round back because that break 80 badge would’ve been mine. These irons are great and I’m thinking I may need to check out the Pxg drivers judging by how the call went today. 

Go out and break 80 on the next round!

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Coulter said:

Nice round! Breaking 80 is just around the corner!

GT4,10 *, Ventus Black TR 6 S Velacore

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

31 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Had a great round this afternoon. I'm doing some grip testing and I decided to throw the Jumbomax JMX zenlite on the PW.  I have thrown them on a few woods and my 58*

I was shooting darts with it the entire round. I birdied the number 2 handicap hole. Second shot was 135yds to a back flag over a tree and played a high baby draw to 4ft.  

20240927_172042.jpg.fd895550f9ea35fba104211f02b79904.jpg20240927_172053.jpg.14c26575e9d96d16d8232ff280b7f6cd.jpg

I REALLY want to try some oversized grips on mine but was going to wait till the testing is over to try and experiment with stuff that’s new to me. I’m guessing you like them by the post you just made lol 

32 minutes ago, Coulter said:

I REALLY want to try some oversized grips on mine but was going to wait till the testing is over to try and experiment with stuff that’s new to me. I’m guessing you like them by the post you just made lol 

I really do. I was worried with the irons and wedges on feel and function. The woods have been great as well.  

I do think I'm ordering the rest for the set though.  What's nice is that I was able to blow them on which makes it super easy. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

IMG_4080.jpeg.23ef5fc28b9bd2468d59e5396b6205fb.jpeg

Live look at the PXGs and I saying goodbye for a week. Time to go get on a boat! 

1 hour ago, Coulter said:

IMG_4080.jpeg.23ef5fc28b9bd2468d59e5396b6205fb.jpeg

Live look at the PXGs and I saying goodbye for a week. Time to go get on a boat! 

Enjoy the trip

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Waiting to start today's round. The focus for today's iron work will be accuracy. 

17275512346071679284249652709974.jpg.5077094b2bad3944b3c2c1ba1aa7c349.jpg

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

I like how these irons are working out for everyone.  Great job fitters and Well done PXG!

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

1 minute ago, Lefty11 said:

I like how these irons are working out for everyone.  Great job fitters and Well done PXG!

They really have been great!  They showed up again today and they are so easy to hit!

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Well, have had these irons out for a few rounds now.  LOVE 'em!  With good swings, these babies are AWESOME! Love the ball flight. Love the feel. Smooth as butter.  Loved my Mizunos with the Recoil shafts, but these are very nice. Tyler did an awesome job fitting me to these Accra shafts.  Very nice! 

3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

They really have been great!  They showed up again today and they are so easy to hit!

At this point I think it’s safe to assume the PXGs are taking over the iron spots in all of our bags. I really didn’t expect these irons to perform as well as they have. 

On 9/28/2024 at 10:44 PM, Coulter said:

At this point I think it’s safe to assume the PXGs are taking over the iron spots in all of our bags. I really didn’t expect these irons to perform as well as they have. 

No question. I'm longer and more accurate with the PXGs for sure.

The only thing that really annoys me is how much money/value is going to be sitting parked in my back up bag not doing anything now.  My old gamers have Accra TZi irons shafts in them and they're not cheap.  Add that to the two Ventus w/Velocore shafted hybrids that also aren't seeing any play and it's a bit irritating,

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

The only thing that really annoys me is how much money/value is going to be sitting parked in my back up bag not doing anything now.  My old gamers have Accra TZi irons shafts in them and they're not cheap.  Add that to the two Ventus w/Velocore shafted hybrids that also aren't seeing any play and it's a bit irritating,

Sounds like it's time to sell some equipment for maybe the black ops driver... haha

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

eBay and/or Classifieds are calling your name. 🙂

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

Ugh! And I will be in Phoenix the next few days for some meetings. Would love to stop by a PXG and give these clubs a whirl...then again...I'll get in trouble should I do so without the miss's input 🤣

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

:callaway-small: Opus Platinum Blue 53º S Grind and 58º Z Grind

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

So I am having a dilemma with the new PXG’s. I find the MMT 105 S shafts are making me about a half club shorter than normal. However, the worst round I have played with them I hit 12 greens and have averaged between 14 and 15 greens hit. The ball is going dead straight with only a slight draw or fade. I just hate hitting more club. I am leaning towards going back to the DG Tour 120 S400 shafts that I normally play. If I do, I just hope it gives me the same results!

Play like a champion today!

For anyone who might be in the SoCal area,  I have 2 spots left for Torrey Pines South tomorrow at 2:20. DM me if you're interested.  I'm a tester for the PXG Black Ops and you'd be welcome to hit a few shots with them of you're interested. Also posting this to my Torrey Pines opportunity thread.Screenshot_20240927_121546_Chrome.jpg.d7ee914e98c8d3d1b1c35c217633db38.jpg

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

1 hour ago, Javs said:

So I am having a dilemma with the new PXG’s. I find the MMT 105 S shafts are making me about a half club shorter than normal. However, the worst round I have played with them I hit 12 greens and have averaged between 14 and 15 greens hit. The ball is going dead straight with only a slight draw or fade. I just hate hitting more club. I am leaning towards going back to the DG Tour 120 S400 shafts that I normally play. If I do, I just hope it gives me the same results!

If you end up doing that, are you trading in the MMT? 

And you said the lofts are the same as your titleist right?

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

8 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

That's certainly some value in the bag! I'm sure some people would be willing to trade or take those off your hands so you can get some new value added items in there!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm