What is the best driver?

GolfSpy_APH

This is a tough one, however for me I can’t go past the Ping G400 LST followed by the Krank Formula Fire.

If you spend the money, why not have a higher handicap.. You get bang for your buck then!

image.png.e19070184c62180e7d78dd9753828580.png

My PING G400 LST.  It’s been the most consistent driver both distance and dispersion wise I’ve ever used.  Same distance if not better than my old M2 and I hit more fairways. I’ve used a Callaway FT-3, A Hippo driver which was actually pretty good.  I’ve always loved Taylormade drivers until the twist face years.  Although the M3 can go a long way.  I’ve had the R7 quad, R1 white and black tops, original M2. (Second favorite driver).  2nd gen M1 which was only good if you hit it out of the right spot on the face.  The G400 has been in my bag the longest. Still no plans to switch that one.  

1 hour ago, CSSShoreham said:

Ping G430 Max 10K w/ Ventus Velocore shaft. 

I had this same exact set up and for whatever reason didn't get on very well with it. The 10k head was just too big for me (which I know others will love) but it made me too lazy with my swing I felt. Lol but it's a fantastic driver... and even better shaft!

On 10/1/2024 at 9:10 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Pretty simple question. What is the best driver you have ever used? 

Maybe it is a blast from the past you wish you had back or maybe it is your current big stick... so lets  hear it!

For me it has to be the Cobra TI driver with the fin on the hosel.  Solid feel in sweet spot and great workability

Herman Carroll

I have owned a series of Taylormade drivers. 300 series (300,320,360) and R series (R5,7,9). I have tried the M2, M4 and Sim2. M2 and Sim2 were OK, but noreal improvement over my aging R9. I am in mid 80s and an 11 hcp. I did change the R9 shaft from Reg to Senior flex, but really don't see much duifference, My drives tend to be straight, but distance is down to about 210yds. Don'y know if there is any driver that would help withy that 😉

Well for me it has to be my current gamer. Ping G400SFT. At 70 I'm still hitting it over 200 and hitting fairways 60% of time. Most misses are within 5 yards of the short grass. It works for me.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I would say the current driver in my bag, Ping G430 Max, is my favourite driver.  The Ping G430 is incredibly forgiving on my miss hits, and at 64 years of age I can still carry the ball 235-250 yards when I hit it pure on the sweet spot.  I've managed to find more fairways with this driver.

Years ago I had a Taylormade R series driver (R5) that I enjoyed back then.  However, the G430 Max is "the bomb".

My weapons of choice:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 Max 10.5

5 Wood: :ping-small: G430 Max

7Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 SpeedBack

Hybrid: :PXG: 0211, 19-degree

Irons 1: :srixon-small: ZX5, 5-GW

Irons 2: :PXG: 0211 XCOR2, 5-GW

Wedges: :vokey-small:  SM9, 52 F8 & 56 S10

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider FCG #3 Mallet

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” - Sam Snead

I'd say the Taylormade M6 (2019) since TM still uses the shaping and style. Taylormade renamed the triangular bulge to the Shape In Motion (SIM) and a few other brands have gone to incorporate a similar technology in their drivers (TE Exotics C722 and C524, Callaway Paradym, Wilson Dynapower, PXG Gen 5+6 and Black Ops all have some variation of a "SIM").

Edited by ArizonaLogan

PXGLogo.jpg.0c92800daa172651d766b6819f37e9f9.jpg: 0311 Gen5 - Driver

:adams-small:: Tight Lies - 3W

I need an 18°-19° club.

Screenshot_20240809_112936_Firefox.jpg.900d967438e67ae0e464b4353651f692.jpg: CB - 23° 4 Iron

Screenshot_20240809_112620_Firefox.jpg.a2937e8152a1ed49ed8ce6c36c0b6a88.jpg: MT-Pro - 5-PW

url(1).jpg.d0326cc5029d710568433f5df6fe1efc.jpg: TSW - 50°, 54°,58°

Screenshot_20240913_104457_Firefox.jpg.1fbe3143d307b69fcffd17421b25ee1f.jpg: DF3 - Putter

Call it recency bias, but the Cobra Darkspeed LS is easily the best driver I’ve ever used. This is coming off having played the g425 prior. I will add that the AiSmoke Triple D is a very close second for me. I did hit the Qi10 and g430 10k quite a lot before purchasing the Cobra, but for my swing and speed (I cruise at about 108) it just outperformed them in every metric I care about. The new Titleist woods are extremely tempting too.

Irons: Mizuno 243 4-P

Wedges: SM9 various lofts

Woods/ hybrid: multiple brands and set up

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed LS

Putter: Phantom 12/ Newport 2.5

On 10/1/2024 at 7:10 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Pretty simple question. What is the best driver you have ever used? 

Maybe it is a blast from the past you wish you had back or maybe it is your current big stick... so lets  hear it!

After getting fitted this past June, I love my current gamer Titleist TSR2 10.5*. Coming from a Cleveland Launcher HB turbo, I'm hitting most fairways (also due to some swing changes & lessons), as well as getting 25+ yards longer in distance. I absolutely love it and don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Driver:         :titleist-small: TSR2 10.5*
FW wood:   :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3
Hybrid:        :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 Hybrid
Irons:           :mizuno-small:  JPX921 HM 5-GW
Wedges:      :taylormade-small: Black Milled Grind 56*, :callaway-small: Sure Out 2 58*, :mizuno-small: Blue T22 60*
Putter:         :odyssey-small: AI One Milled Eight T S
Ball:              :callaway-small:  Chrome Soft triple track 
Cart:              :Clicgear: 3.0 Pushcart
Shoes:           :footjoy-small: Premieres (So damn comfy) or 
adidas.jpg.68e67ffa35e40e0c3ad8be2ba26f3df3.jpg Tour360's 
Bag:                
AskEcho.jpg.d4dbb4965bf0480bbd5a3cff553f567f.jpg  2024 T-Lock Navy Grey (I love this thing) 

Taylormade R1 - sure, the dial on the bottom didn’t do squat (according to the fitter that sold it to me), but I didn’t appreciate it until it was gone. (Honestly, the Hybrid was even better. I hit that thing dead straight, 3-sheets to the wind or stone cold sober, no problem!)

My Nike SuMo changed my golfing life. So forgiving and sneaky long...wish the had stayed in the clubmaking game.  Still using the Nike 2 hybrid as my go-to club from the fairway when I  need straight and long.

Gosh dang such a tough question, because you have certain era's and you had your favorite driver during that time.

1.) Original Big Bertha with RCH60 was just an absolute gamechanger of a driver

2.) Great Big Bertha I played for quite a few years and didn't think it would ever be knocked out of the bag.

3.) Taylormade 360 with a UST proforce was a missle launcher and very forgiving.

4.) Titleist LFF (not LFE for myself) tour issue only head with forged face, and this is probably my favorite driver of all time. Had clubhead sizes stayed below 375cc I would still be gaming this driver without a doubt. 

5.) Cleveland Comp. This club was super easy to hit straight and very long if you could keep the crown's from cracking.

6.) Ping G400 LST

7.) Titleist TSR3

It’s the best if each era in my humble opinion , Mac Gregor eye o magic in persimmon , Taylormade Pittsburg Persimmon in the first metal wood era - Ping in the latest era 

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

Really liking my "old", current gamer TSi3 with the Tensei White 65g shaft.

I like to tweak things around such as the shaft adjustment & weight in the head. I recently switched to Medium Jumbomax grips & about to take a dive into swing weight 💪🏻.

markup_1000008015.png

Known by friends as the tinkerer with my clubs. I enjoy doing my own R&D on the course.

46 minutes ago, That’s Mr. Dirt said:

Taylormade R1 - sure, the dial on the bottom didn’t do squat (according to the fitter that sold it to me), but I didn’t appreciate it until it was gone. (Honestly, the Hybrid was even better. I hit that thing dead straight, 3-sheets to the wind or stone cold sober, no problem!)

I had an R1 that I bought off a buddy second hand. It hit long when I hit it on the center of the face.

Known by friends as the tinkerer with my clubs. I enjoy doing my own R&D on the course.