Golf Brand Opinion: Cleveland Golf Clubs

Interesting question. Having bought a couple pair of irons over the last couple years after fitting, was never shown, nor looked at Cleveland irons. Having said that, I have used Cleveland wedges for years starting with the old CG 12, RTX Zipcore and currently the CBX 4 Zipcore and have been extremely happy with them. Last two sets of wedges, 54° and 60°, I was fitted to. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
Driver -  :taylormade-small: Qi10 9.5°, Ventus VeloCore
3W -  :taylormade-small: Sim2Max 15°
3H -  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed 19°
5H -  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed 25°
Irons -  :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke 6-9, AW, GW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small: CBX4 ZipCore 54°, 60°
Putter -  :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide Stroke Lab
:Arccos: sensors 

I gamed Cleveland’s all through high school and about 10 years after.  At some point, I gave Vokeys a go and haven’t looked at anything else since.  SM7s, SM8s and have SM9s in the bag now.  These new RTZs look nice though so may have to give them a go.

LOVE me some Cleveland wedges!! Back in the day I just used the PW from my iron set, which was a ping. Then found my first Cleveland wedge that I loved, outperformed all my irons! So it began...

Have had a CBX 54 high bounce for a long time, and last year just updated! Now have a 54 Degree RTX for my 'sand wedge' and a 60 degree Zipcore full face wedge.  I wasn't sure about the full face design, but the ball flight along with the face grooves gives me some really good control around the greens! I like to lay it flat and hit high flopper's with it. With it fully open I hit about a 20 yard shot, and a few weeks ago landed one on the green with about 5 feet between the flag and the fringe, sat perfectly!  

I've tried Vokey, Taylormade and PXG wedges this year also.  The Vokey's were my runner up, but the other two I did not like the feel of.  Couldn't keep the feel like I could with the Cleveland's. Highly recommend!!  If the the new wedges are a step up from the Zipcore wedges, these things have got to be lights out!

Mack

------------------------------------------------------------
Driver -   Taylormade Stealth, Ventus stiff shaft
3W -   Taylormade Burner2
3H -   Taylormade  Stealth
Irons -   Taylormade BurnerPlus
Wedges -   Cleveland CBX4 ZipCore 54°, RTZ ZipCore Full Face 60°
Putter -   Taylormade Spider X 
Arccos sensors 

I’ve played Cleveland clubs for years. The Hi-bore driver was the first driver i enjoyed using. I have one of their wedges and the launcher xl halo irons.

Tour edge driver

Cleveland hywood 3

Cleveland halo xl irons 4 to dw

Ping putter

Left-handed

As mentioned by many, the 588 wedges were the gold standard of wedges just prior to Vokey's ascendancy to wedge supremacy. The latest offering looks phenomenal and I will check them out. I would love to see Cleveland get back into the player's iron space, as it seems they have focused on the GI and SGI segment of the market recently. I have never been a big fan of their woods, so I am uncertain if anything they bring out in that space would grab my attention. Lastly, I have heard and read great things about their putters, so that may be worth a look as well.  

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15 Tensei Black 75 X

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i-PW:  :PXG: 0317t Project X LZ 6.0

50°,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Cleveland has quality clubs that I think are overlooked bc of price. Wedges and putters are fantastic in my opinion. Irons and FW are very under rated. Probably their weakest are drivers but have their place In the market. I would not overlook anything Cleveland puts out. Get a quality fitting and try them. They may be what is best for your game. (No I don’t work for Cleveland) 😂

Jason Catlin, Ole Duffer

I gamed the 588s for years. Like others here, I didn't like the look when they moved past the 900s. When I replaced the 588s, I literally told my fitter put me in something like the 588s, been gaming Vokeys every since.

• Driver: Taylormade SIM@ 10.5 Aldila Ascent Red 60 Stiff
  • 3 Wood: Ping G425 LST Fujikura Motor X F1 7S
  • 3 Hybrid: Ping G425 19 Fujikura PRO 2.0 Hybrid 8 S
  • Irons
  • 4-7: Callaway Apex 21 Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff
  • 8-A: Callaway Apex Pro 21 Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff
  • 54 Titleist Vokey SM8 10 S
  • 60 Titleist Vokey SM8 8 M
  • Putter: L.A.B Golf Mezz 1 
  • Ball: Vice Pro Plus 

Cleveland has been impressive lately. They get the moniker of being a brand for mid-high handicaps or “new golfers” and many of us wouldnt brag about having Cleveland products in our bag, which is a shame. However, from driver to putters Cleveland has been delivering great products for exceptional value. Lets discuss just a few on their highly underrated products-

Launcher XL2- Extremely forgiving driver that delivers exceptional distance (who doenst want that) same main frame technology Srixon made famous all at nearly half the price of the “big brands” of golf. 

Zipcore XL Irons- Find anyone who hits these to give them a truly bad review- you wont. Highly forgiving, powerful distance/ game improvement irons which most of us could benefit from, i think they look kinda nice as well. 

Zipcore CBX wedges- is there a more forgiving better performing wedge in golf? Soft, high spin, incredibly easy to hit with the wide soles.. 

RTX-6 Zipcore- easily top 3 wedge YoY for the players wedge category, they perform nearly the top of all the testing, extremely customizable, have we just become numb to the greatness of what Cleveland produces?

HB Soft Line Putters- get the same performance of “elite” putters at half the price. Its truly that simple. One of the most underrated products from Cleveland Golf.

Club Repair Services- Stamping Services- Golf Club Resell

Driver- Srixon ZX5 - Ventus Black 7X Velacore 

2 iron- Srixon ZX- Tour AD GD Orange X

3 Hybrid- Qi10 (off the shelf) S flex 

4-PW- Titleist T150’s KBS Tours Xstiff 

Wedges- Callaway Opus 50s-54w-58w 

Putter- LAB DF2.1

I made a move to 3 CBX Zip Core Cleveland wedges 2 years ago on the advice of our club pro. I must say they truly improved my overall short game, especially chipping and from the sand. However with full shots, not so much, maybe even a bit lacking from my previous wedges. Overall quality is great and I’m satisfied with the improvement in my sand saves and chipping. To fully answer as to my opinion of the Cleveland brand, wedges is what I would recognize the most, putters I hear are a good value, and they make good woods and irons from articles I read. However to be totally honest, except for wedges, Cleveland golf clubs would not be on my radar to purchase, nothing against them, just I personally would prefer other brands over Cleveland. 

Edited by jeepjrn
Additional comments to better completely answer the forum question correctly.

Callaway Paradym 12* Driver, Callaway Paradym 3 & 5 fairways, Ping G30 4-PW, Cleveland 48*,54*,58* CBX wedges, Scotty Newport putter.

I've been playing with Cleveland wedges since starting to play golf 3 years ago and these clubs are the most reliable and consistent clubs in my bag! design is sleek and I know I can hit the shots I want with them.

FDC

As you might tell from my WITB, Cleveland is kind of my go-to.  I'm including Srixon here.  Still playing 588TT irons though they might be better for a younger competitor.

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

In my opinion Cleveland Golf still makes very good equipment, especially their wedges. However, since 2007, when they were purchased by the Sumitomo Rubber Company (Srixon) they have not been a priority for Srixon in terms of advertising and promotion. It seems to me that the Srixon name in golf clubs, balls and tour presence is their priority, with the  Cleveland brand taking a back seat. The quality of the Cleveland brand, particularly the wedges, is likely as good or better than ever. Unfortunately, many golfers, especially the younger age groups, are simply not familiar enough with the brand. 
Again, my opinion and observations only.

WITB: Callaway Mavrik Pro Irons, Ping G425 Driver, TM Fairway, Vokey wedges, TaylorMade Spider putter. 

Use to be the best wedges.  I used the 588 for many years.  I feel that other brands are better today, such as Miura, Vego, Vockey and Callaway,  At this time, I am using Miura wedges.

Personally, I think Cleveland as a broader golf company is severely underappreciated as they somewhat hide in the shadow of Srixon. I play Cleveland Launcher XL irons and they are lights out in my opinion. Even as game improvement irons, I am able to shape shots and get some spin on the short irons. Also, their wedges are in an elite category, but you just don't see the amount of commercial space that other major brands flood the internet and TV with. I think Cleveland is a great company and likely one of the best values in golf.

Joe Anderson

La Crosse, WI

Driver: Callaway Paradym (10.5 degree, Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 - S Flex)
Fairway: Exotics CBX (15degree, Project X HZRDUS - S Flex)
3H: Exotics CBX (20degree, Project X HZRDUS - S Flex)
4H: Exotics CBX (22degree, Stock Exotics - S Flex)
5H: Wilson Staff D7 (25degree, UST MAMIYA RECOIL 460 - R Flex)
Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW (True Temper Elevate 95 - R Flex)
Wedges: Wilson Harmonized 52deg, 56deg, 60deg (Stock Wilson - Wedge Flex)
Putter: Tour Edge Bazooka Pro-4, 35"

I've had Cleavland in my bag. The last ones were cg10 and I liked them. They wore down and it was time to get new wedges. I ended up with Callaway jaws raw. I put the Cleavland wedges with Titliest,Callaway. I haven't tried the Taylormades or others, but I personally believe Cleavland wedges are on par with all the premium offerings. My current bag is Cobra driver, Srixon 3w, Cobra hybrid, Titliest t100 irons, Callaway Jaws raw wedges, and a Wilson Staff infinite putter, so definitely not a brand snob. If it works and you like it, then hit it!

It seemed like they were THE brand in the 90’s. No matter what other brands of clubs you played, you probably had the 588’s in your bag.

I personally had the Byron Nelson 50th Anniversary Beryllium Copper versions and loved them. I still actually have them in my garage, and the coloring is still amazing.

Now that I’m looking for new wedges, it’s hard to not get hit over the head by the hammer that is Vokey.

I’m very intrigued by this new version, as well as the Tour Rack.

Taylormade Sim Max driver

Titleist TSI2 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 3 hybrid 

Taylormade M2 irons

Cleveland & Titleist wedges 

Odyssey 7 putter

My opinion of Cleveland is one of a good club maker but more of a niche company. I think their wedges are great and they were in my bag for years with great results. I also think their drivers are good clubs and used to have one of those I played as well. I don't have any Cleveland clubs in my bag currently though and I think that technology has passed them by. Could be just better marketing by the bigger brands but my perception is that other companies have newer technology in their clubs that produces better results.

I played a set of TA-3 irons for almost 20 years and had a few 588 wedges for a while. Good clubs for sure.

However, now I see Cleveland as a mid/high handicap brand, with most of their lines targeted to that group of golfers. The tech they promote and design styles tend to be geared for maximum forgiveness and to help golfers enjoy the game. Which is great as that is a large demographic of golfers. I think they have leaned more heavily into that target audience the past several years and they have lost the more competitive golfers along the way.

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 10* | Taylor Made Mini Driver 13.5* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 51*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

I have used the clubs at courses that I needed rentals and have enjoyed them, however I have only bought and played Taylormade clubs the last 20 years.  I do however carry one of their sandwedges in my bag and I love it.

Thoroughly enjoy playing golf, but if I did it for a living, I would stave.

Their wedges are nice. Gamed RTX Zip for a couple months, until I tried Mizuno S23 and T24. Mizuno was better for me in every aspect. S23 for full swing wedges and T24 for a lob wedge. I don't look at anything from Cleveland except the wedges, though. Woods, irons and putters are inferior, in my opinion.

The Cleveland Classic driver back in like 2009 was hands down my favorite club I’ve ever owned! I was a scrawny average height 16y/o at the time hitting bombs topping around 290. Around that time was Taylormade R9 and there was no comparison. For that reason alone I will never write out Cleveland.

Brian J
Golf Club Membership Director 

Admittedly, I wasn't a huge Cleveland fan, UNTIL...and, I do mean UNTIL...I hit their latest Halo Hybrids and Halo Hywoods.

Convinced, I bought the 4 and 5 Hybrids and the 3+ Hywood on the spot and HAVE NOT LOOKED BACK!

Confidence in a stick...Try 'em.

Just Keeping It Real...