Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Scandinavians hitting golf clubs

furu

I'm not going to argue if someone says mygolfspy.com does a better job than us. They have numbers - we're only 5 guys. But we do a pretty good job.

5 players

2-17 handicap

TrackMan

Excellent practice, range and playing conditions at Quinta do Lago (Portugal)

We had clubs from Titleist, Mizuno, Ping, Callaway, Cleveland, Srixon, TaylorMade, Nike, Cobra, Bettinardi, Bputters, John Letters and Nike. 

One Mizuno clubs missing - JPX 850 hybrid. I'm buying one just to get the numbers.

Nike decided not to send putters and wedges. "Didn't have any". Yeah. Ok. I'm not buying those.

You may have noticed that Adams is missing. Well, there's no trace of Adams in Denmark, Norway or Sweden. A sign of things to come? 

Also - brands like MD Golf, Benross etc. are not sold in our countries.

18 drivers.

18 fairway woods.

20 hybrids and driving irons.

25 irons.

16 putters.

6 wedges (not many new wedges at the moment).

I have 277 club reports on TrackMan. I have no life at the moment.

skjermbilde_2015-02-14_kl._19.22.34.png

We did a few interesting tests. Like fw vs. driver, same model/brand. 

Did get some interesting numbers on a lot of clubs, especially irons.

Fun to see how the most forgiving fw's (FlyZ XL, CG Black etc.) are incredibly different from the distance monsters like XR and Aero.

Even more fun - funniest moment of the trip actually - to set the JPX 850 driver to 7.5 with both weights forward for our tester who launches at 10.6 deg. with 1600 spin. 

Does anyone want to know anything? If you post questions I can give some answers and numbers. May need a little time sometimes. And there's a bit of a time difference so don't expect me to reply at 4am :)

One more thing. Wondering if we're doing honest testing? Or are we unbiased like Fox News? I'm never given anything else than shoes that I wear out during testing. No press kits. No free clubs. I borrow and return or buy and sell with a loss. 

That looks like a blast!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If your looking for a 6th and would like to pay for my plane and stay I'll come help!  :blink:

In all seriousness this sounds cool!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

It would be interesting to see your results, or at least the some of your data.  Don't want to step on anyone's toes though.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Man that's pretty awesome!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Don't know what would be more fun -- hitting all those clubs and collecting data, or hitting all those clubs and collecting data in Portugal.  Would love to hear what happened with the Mizuno driver set that low!  

Awesome stuff Furu -- but you didn't answer the most pressing question of the day: what socks are you wearing?????

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun. Like others said, maybe a summary of results?

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I'll share some screenshots from TM tomorrow.

Longest fw for our longest hitter - AeroBurner 239.2m (XR 235.8m, Vapor Pro 234.1m).

The others are catching up with Callaway. And for some - beating them. 

Fw beats driver on consistency and distance for 3 out of 3 players.

Srixon has some seriously long irons. Big surprise. 545 and 745 were close to TM RSi.

Our low-launching Dane hit 110 meter drives with 5-6 degree launch with weights forward at 7.5 on JPX 850.

Watch out for Wilson Infinite putters! South Side was fantastic :) 

Callaway XR driver (yellow) vs fw (white). We kept the bad shots too. They represent what actually happens when normal golfers hit bad drives.

The player was aligned a little bit to the left on the fw shots. My fault. 

img_8193.png

I am really surprised with the driver and FW precision and accuracy. I can understand the two being fairly close with lower swing speed. My FW and driver are pretty close too. But I am much more accurate with the driver than the FW, which is why I always hit driver even on tight holes. I guess it's due to a slight miss hit with the smaller head means a bigger miss.

How can someone be that precise with a small head FW and miss that much with a big headed driver?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

How can someone be that precise with a small head FW and miss that much with a big headed driver?

Shaft length? 

It goes to show that fitting for length is an important factor - not least because a shorter length club is somewhat easier to control and ultimately find the centre of the club face.

Off the rack, most "standard" driver lengths are over 45" these days, making them longer hitting (when struck correctly) but also making it harder to control for the average golfer. Normal golfers do indeed hit bad shots with the driver :D.

It also shows that Trackman data is only really relevant to the person actually hitting the ball at that moment in time - it is not intended to reflect the performance of a club for someone else. So whilst hitting clubs for research may be fun, it is pretty much useless to anybody else. It is unclear if any of the clubs were correctly fitted to any of the individuals in terms of length, weight, lie, flex etc, so....

at least Portugal is nice this time of year.

Archived