Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hello Again Fellas...

Sschaffer24

That's a good point. Being a bigger guy I guess that the idea that if a little bit of weight gets out of sync, then that probably is causing a larger effect than if I were someone smaller. Maybe working on my power and flexibility is a good place to start.

I'm going back this Wednesday so I'm excited to see what we can do.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I would continue to maintain that you do not have a distance issue. You have a consistency issue and also perhaps an equipment issue in that a lofted wood or hybrid may be a better choice. You don't see many irons over a 5 or even many times 6 in the bags of LPGA players.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev,

When you say that you're taking about removing my 25 from the bag and playing a fairway or hybrid? And then removing the 29 as well? I just want to understand your point.

And when you say consistency issue you're obviously referencing strike correct? And then the penalty I take if I mishit one of my irons? I guess the question I would ask then, is what about a theoretical more forgiving club?

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Rev,

When you say that you're taking about removing my 25 from the bag and playing a fairway or hybrid? And then removing the 29 as well? I just want to understand your point.

And when you say consistency issue you're obviously referencing strike correct? And then the penalty I take if I mishit one of my irons? I guess the question I would ask then, is what about a theoretical more forgiving club?

Which is precisely my point. After the 7 iron you need more forgiveness. Not just you but 95 percent plus of us. Check out the WITB of players on the LPGA and consider that they are plus handicappers and would be so even at 7,000 yards.

The question for you and your teacher is what forgiveness works best for your swing? Iron like, hybrid like or lofted fairway wood like. None of us here can answer that question for you because the answer lies in what fits your eye, your swing characteristics, the courses you play and their normal conditions.

We can say that you need something more forgiving. That's the common theme that I'm seeing emerging here. I will be anxiously following your progress and the I combination that you end up with. Best of luck.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would have to agree with Rev's suggestion to use the LPGA players as a guide. They are better athletes than us as well, but a far more reasonable comparison than the men.  The PGA Tour kids are genetic freaks.

I don't use that in a pejorative connotation.  Abnormality in physical potential is a prerequisite for serious success in professional sports.  I enjoyed some local success as an amateur boxer, but sparring with world ranked pros in Rip Valenti's gym, I may as well have been in a cage with jungle cats.  The only important difference is that the abnormal humans understood restraint. 

Here's my question though, and this is ultimately my reasoning to check out different irons.

If I'm searching for forgiveness in the top half of my bag (essentially a combo set, which is no problem) then why not continue that forgiveness through the whole set and into my short irons? In theory it I'm carrying my 6 iron a further distance than my previous one, wouldn't that make a distance gap between it and wherever I transition my combo set to?

I just look at it from the standpoint that if I'm changing for forgiveness sake, then forgiveness through the whole bag isn't a bad thing. My test is supposed to test that forgiveness for me and to truly see what the differences are between a hogan and a chunky game imepovenent iron.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

That's a good point. Being a bigger guy I guess that the idea that if a little bit of weight gets out of sync, then that probably is causing a larger effect than if I were someone smaller. Maybe working on my power and flexibility is a good place to start.

I'm going back this Wednesday so I'm excited to see what we can do.

Yep i think you have it another thing to help a big guy retain balance narrow your stance some and review those swings on U-Tube that I told you about

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Here's my question though, and this is ultimately my reasoning to check out different irons.

If I'm searching for forgiveness in the top half of my bag (essentially a combo set, which is no problem) then why not continue that forgiveness through the whole set and into my short irons? In theory it I'm carrying my 6 iron a further distance than my previous one, wouldn't that make a distance gap between it and wherever I transition my combo set to?

I just look at it from the standpoint that if I'm changing for forgiveness sake, then forgiveness through the whole bag isn't a bad thing. My test is supposed to test that forgiveness for me and to truly see what the differences are between a hogan and a chunky game imepovenent iron.

Shawn, I'm a little bit confused.  You say the Hogans are "so damn accurate" but you are looking for forgiveness.  What's wrong with accurate?  Clubs that are very forgiving don't always work out best if you need to work the ball.  I can understand needing more forgiveness at the top end of the bag; I've been trying to work that out all year.  

I would say that your swing issue is holding back distance, and I agree with Nifty that loss of distance is probably coupled with the wrong shaft flex or profile.  I would stick with the Hogans for awhile and certainly see if other shafts are available. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kenny,

It was more of a general question than an idea that I subscribe to. My question is/was just that if the justification to go to a more forgiving club makes sense at the top of the bag, why doesn't that argument hold water for me on the bottom end of the bag? That's all I'm trying to wrap my head around.

Ultimately the perfect storm would be to game the Hogan's from wedges through 33/29 and a combo on the top end of the set to give me the best dispersion and control.

I just fear that hypothetically getting a more forgiveness/distance oriented club into the top of my bag is going to create distance gaps on the bottom end of the bag.

To anyone reading the thread please understand I'm not trying to justify getting out of the Hogan's. As anyone here knows I love these irons. I just have these things rolling around in my head and am asking for discussion around them.

I do think the question holds water though. I don't want gaps through my set. And maybe a different shaft is what I need. Although I'm a little weird in that department in that I need a heavier weight shaft because of my swing. So a regular flex/softer profile shaft is (at least in my experience) hard to find while maintaining the weight of a stiffer shaft.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

If you're taking a wild shot in the dark at how to mix and match your set, you bet you'll have gaps. That's where fitting comes in. If you kept the Hogans up through 29°, the next club up could end up being a 29° hybrid to keep the right gap. The only way to find out is by trying different options. You won't be able to talk it through and know what works. Gotta hit 'em.

I am not suggesting that you need regular flex, since I know nothing about your swing.  However, there are heavy regular flex shafts, both in steel and graphite.

I prefer a heavier shaft as well.  When I got my SCORs, I tried various shafts and opted for the heavier graphite Genius 9 at 95g over the lighter Genius 7 at 75g.  I actually hit my 42 almost as far as my Ping i20 8i which is 37 and a lighter weight graphite.  The shaft is the reason I need to try Hogans before I buy.  I don't want to buy a 38 with a shaft that doesn't give me the right gap with my 42.  I would feel much better if they offered the Hogans in the same shaft as the SCORs but it is not available anymore.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Exactly the plan Blade! Haha.

I'm going this Wednesday to do just that. I'm referencing doing a combo set essentially worrying about giving up that distance gain on the short irons.

My next question, is there any comparisons someone would like to see? I have essentially every line from the manufacturers available to test. So I'm will to try anything! Or if people have recommendations.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Shawn,  Short irons are forgiving by nature.  Just try it out - if you have a friend who is a pro hit his clubs - you'll be fine up to the 8 or 9 iron even if he's playing with x flex 120 gram shafts in those clubs.  At some point though you'll start to hit weak shots that don't fly they way you'd like them to.  It's an extreme example but it illustrates the point.

Ultimately you'll need to decide this for yourself - there are lots of ways to mitigate gaps, we all have gaps in our bag and we adjust accordingly. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Aldila NV Pro 105s are nice and heavy (105 gm) .370 tip iron shafts which nonetheless come in R-flex. If you end up liking them, there are matching hybrid shafts at 85 gm (.355 or .370) and .335 wood shafts in either 65 or 85 grams. These are mature models and probably available at a good price. I've got them in one of my "veteran" bags and they are very playable as well as easy on the hands. Instruments of Futility.gif

One other thing to consider about shafts is there's no standard in flex designation.  One company's "Stiff," may very well be rated "Regular (or even Senior, or X-Stiff") by another.

Pay NO attention to the flex listed on the shaft!

If you're making good contact with the ball, keep the heads and get fitted for the shafts (and work on that reverse pivot). ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 2 months later...

I don't know if Mr. Schaffer is still around, but I just saw this topic and understand exactly where he is coming from. Although I have been seeing some much better results in the practice and lessons the last few weeks, over the last six months I've been getting almost exactly the OPs numbers, including the driver.  Last Friday's round, hit the driver real well by my standards.  Long drive of 245, average slightly under 230.  Despite expectations of better, the iron distances on course were spot on with OPs throughout the bag, except for my wedges that did come through with the extra distance I'd been hoping for.  But for years, I've been getting those iron distances, and proportionately better distances with my Driver and fairway woods.  230 Driver, 220-225 3+ and 210-215 5W.

The lessons have given me hope that I'm going to get that increased distance out of the irons.  In those recent sessions, with my current clubs, I've been getting 10-15 yds more.  6 iron, for example, getting a consistent 169 to 173 on the flightscope, with swing speeds around 74-77.  Historically, my 6 iron is at best 160 with 67-69 ss.  For me, its finally getting comfortable with the revised swing and 'swinging more freely' with the irons like I've been able to with the woods.  Just got to be able to carry it on the course, which to date I have not.  If I can, then I feel I would be hitting the same clubs into the greens that my equivalent driving distance compatriots use.  

As I mentioned in other posts, the Callaway Apex CF 16s I tested are really hot.  While the lofts are indeed jacked up 3 degrees, even compensating for that I was hitting them a club longer than any other club.  And, being relatively compact forged clubs, they aren't GI shovels.  I'm giving them serious consideration.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I think if you call Hogan they might help you get some different loft variations. Maybe get a club stronger on your lofts. With the accuracy you have that might be the best choice for you

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Was wondering if a shark got you in the OBX,  nice to see you back 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Haha I miss this pace!

I'm happy to see this thread hasn't died on me! And to update everyone I haven't pulled the trigger on a new set at this point or anything. The last lesson I took was at the end of November, and then I took some time off through the holidays. I plan on hitting it hard over the rest of the winter though!

Just a quick side note here, a major change in my professional life has limited my available time for the forum. Hopefully that will change in the next couple of months but a (relatively major) promotion has eliminated a lot of down time for me. I'm building a department from scratch. So that's where I went!

I'll always be a member of MGS though!

Jax I would like to hear a little more detail about your issues as well as what you worked on in your lessons...

Happy new year fellas!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Haha I miss this pace!

I'm happy to see this thread hasn't died on me! And to update everyone I haven't pulled the trigger on a new set at this point or anything. The last lesson I took was at the end of November, and then I took some time off through the holidays. I plan on hitting it hard over the rest of the winter though!

Just a quick side note here, a major change in my professional life has limited my available time for the forum. Hopefully that will change in the next couple of months but a (relatively major) promotion has eliminated a lot of down time for me. I'm building a department from scratch. So that's where I went!

I'll always be a member of MGS though!

Jax I would like to hear a little more detail about your issues as well as what you worked on in your lessons...

Happy new year fellas!

Good for you!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thanks guys! I'm enjoying it so far, but like any major change in life it sure is exhausting! Haha. That's life though.

Man do these new VKTR hybrids have me drooling!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Archived