Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Forward Grips Reviews

SuperDave

The Forward grip was my first and only review I've done so far since I've joined. I believe I did a good job on my review, however some of the group did not complete theirs. So, as a group I feel we failed.

I'm wondering if any of you have read the review. I'd at least like to know if I did a good job. I'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

SD I have often thought how many testers are the types looking only for a freebe. Thousands by the numbers I see. I also wonder how many people like you mentioned above get the goods and vanish. Sees to me it would serve the community better to select mostly members that have been active here for a long time and have produced quality reviews in the past. That way you eliminate the grab-and-go types.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think you did a good job SuperDave

That thread is a bit of a trainwreck, looks like some guys didn't even bother to do a stage 1.  You're always going to have some people who just want a freebie, but at least put a little effort into it.  It actually pisses me off quite a bit.  If you want companies to continue to provide products for testing, they have to see that MGS is living up to it's end of the bargain. 

PlaidJacket, I somewhat agree with what you are saying, certainly, if a big company/opportunity is on the line, MGS staffers may want to be a little bit more selective.  However, if you never give anyone that's somewhat new a chance, you'll never know what they can contribute (it's a bit of a catch-22).

I have spoken a bit on the side with a staffer or 2, I can pretty much guarantee anyone that does something like that won't get a chance to again.

Edit:  I should also add the positive, seems like 99% of everyone follows through, it's the 1% that sticks out like a sore thumb

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

The Forward grip was my first and only review I've done so far since I've joined. I believe I did a good job on my review, however some of the group did not complete theirs. So, as a group I feel we failed.

I'm wondering if any of you have read the review. I'd at least like to know if I did a good job. I'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad. Thank you.

SuperDave, just read through it and I thought you did great on the review.  Don't worry about the group, you can't control what other people will or won't do.

SD I have often thought how many testers are the types looking only for a freebe. Thousands by the numbers I see. I also wonder how many people like you mentioned above get the goods and vanish. Sees to me it would serve the community better to select mostly members that have been active here for a long time and have produced quality reviews in the past. That way you eliminate the grab-and-go types.

I think how testers are chosen is spelled out pretty well here...  http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/9910-forum-testing-how-forum-testers-will-be-chosen/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just read the review, SuperDave, and I thought it was well done.

I understand the feeling...I was selected to do a review on the Snell Get Sum, and that thread is a bit of a stage wreck too. I hope my review of the ball wasn't lost in that. It did take me a while to get the second stage up due to changes in my personal and professional life, but I hope the final product warrants a second chance to review another product.

I notice quite a bit when newer folks join (and I haven't been here too long myself) there can tend to be talk of 'free stuff.' Like the Judge and others have said, there isn't anything free here. Quite a bit of work is put into the reviews.

Anyway, good work on the Forward grips, and good luck I'm the future!

sent from mobile device - please forgive typos

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

My apologies SuperDave.  I really haven't been interested in changing grips for awhile, so I never checked the review.  I think it is worthwhile for all members to read reviews if nothing else but to see how well the chosen testers conform to the testing guidelines and write up their reviews.  It's part of the review process for improvement.  I will endeavor to be better at that!

I read through the reviews and I am disappointed in some of the reviewers that did not honor their commitment to review and comment for the benefit of MGS members and golfers just looking for information.  I found your review to be thorough and informative.  Great job!!  Thank you!

I do have a question.  The post of pics with your hat on backward and forward; you have two different putters.  I did not read in your review that you used two different putters for this test.  I assumed that you compared the grips using test results on the same putter.  I didn't really notice it at first, except you said that your stance was much closer to the ball using the Forward grip.  Are the two putters similar lengths and lie angles?  With the Winn grip your putting stance has your eyes way inside the ball, which with the heel-shafted putter will create a strong arc stroke.  Nothing wrong with that.  However, with the Forward grip on the plumber's neck putter, your eyes are much more over the ball, which promotes a more STST swing.  Was that due to the difference in the putters, or did the Forward grip influence your stance that much?  Just curious.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

SuperDave, I just read through it and think you did a fine job. I'm interested about the difference in how close you were to the ball with this grip as well and whether the length and lie angles were the same. I tend to putt better with my hands closer into my body and, as a result, usually need to get my putters bent flat so they will lie correctly and I like them a little shorter. If the forward grip promotes this type of putting stance it might be for me.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

My apologies SuperDave. I really haven't been interested in changing grips for awhile, so I never checked the review. I think it is worthwhile for all members to read reviews if nothing else but to see how well the chosen testers conform to the testing guidelines and write up their reviews. It's part of the review process for improvement. I will endeavor to be better at that!

I read through the reviews and I am disappointed in some of the reviewers that did not honor their commitment to review and comment for the benefit of MGS members and golfers just looking for information. I found your review to be thorough and informative. Great job!! Thank you!

I do have a question. The post of pics with your hat on backward and forward; you have two different putters. I did not read in your review that you used two different putters for this test. I assumed that you compared the grips using test results on the same putter. I didn't really notice it at first, except you said that your stance was much closer to the ball using the Forward grip. Are the two putters similar lengths and lie angles? With the Winn grip your putting stance has your eyes way inside the ball, which with the heel-shafted putter will create a strong arc stroke. Nothing wrong with that. However, with the Forward grip on the plumber's neck putter, your eyes are much more over the ball, which promotes a more STST swing. Was that due to the difference in the putters, or did the Forward grip influence your stance that much? Just curious.

Ok. I'm glad you pointed this out. This like I said was my first review. So, this is the mistake I did make. Using different putters. I should of used the same. But, when I received the grip, all I could think of at first was I need to install this and get started because I didn't want to fail. The putter I used the Forward grip on had a Super Stroke slim 1.0 on it. To compare the two, if you try to hold the Forward grip in the same position as a standard grip it will bring the heel of the putter off the ground. That's why I stated it brings your hands closer to your body. And as I think of it now, it may cause your upper body to lean more forward bringing your eyes more over the ball. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know.

SuperDave, I just read through it and think you did a fine job. I'm interested about the difference in how close you were to the ball with this grip as well and whether the length and lie angles were the same. I tend to putt better with my hands closer into my body and, as a result, usually need to get my putters bent flat so they will lie correctly and I like them a little shorter. If the forward grip promotes this type of putting stance it might be for me.

Please read my reply to Kenny B. I think this may answer your question. If not, let me know.

Ok. I'm glad you pointed this out. This like I said was my first review. So, this is the mistake I did make. Using different putters. I should of used the same. But, when I received the grip, all I could think of at first was I need to install this and get started because I didn't want to fail. The putter I used the Forward grip on had a Super Stroke slim 1.0 on it. To compare the two, if you try to hold the Forward grip in the same position as a standard grip it will bring the heel of the putter off the ground. That's why I stated it brings your hands closer to your body. And as I think of it now, it may cause your upper body to lean more forward bringing your eyes more over the ball. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know.

Not a problem.  My personal preference is to have my eyes over the ball, but I tend to use a pendulum stroke with a face-balanced putter.  For me it gives me a better view of the line so I can just focus on speed.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hey! I did read through the thread, mostly to scan over the review format, but did not comment .. sorry, didn't mean to ignore you...

Your posts were certainly well-done and reflected the effort you put into it - thanks! - but I'm still pretty happy with my current putter and grip configuration. Not to say I wouldn't try this grip in the future, but I already have a fairly 'over the ball' setup.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 12/16/2016 at 10:48 AM, SuperDave said:

I am interested in the forward putter grip.  Where can I read your review?

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized