Jiro Dreams of Putters

I was browsing eBay last week ( I know, dangerous) and randomly found and subsequently bought a Jiro putter. I have no idea what it is or what the history with it is but I suspect this is a one-off homemade putter made by or for someone with said name. Looks to be from a few decades ago.

If you are wondering, it feels and performs exactly how one would imagine just based on looking at the picture, meaning this thing ain't making anyone's most wanted list.

On the other hand, if your name happens to be Jiro and you are a golf enthusiast, this just might be the paperweight of your dreams.

IMG_1860.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Sweet!  How cool would it be if it is the best putter you have ever used and it stays in the bag.  Might be worth even having it spec'ed to your stroke.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Awesome find, hang that puppy in the man cave!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That's an interesting story. Like the nod to the movie Jiro dreams of sushi

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Great movie for those of you who haven't seen it.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Wonder if it is an old putter from this line.

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=590997128

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No idea. It has no markings besides the name.

Sweet! How cool would it be if it is the best putter you have ever used and it stays in the bag. Might be worth even having it spec'ed to your stroke.

I can tell you this is definitely not the best putter I have ever used but I am looking forward to taking it out on the course every once and awhile--probably for work tournament scrambles.

There was a patent for the Jiro putter around year 2000. Seems like it was abandoned. Is that it?

http://www.google.com/patents/US6110057

Great find Kenny. I think that this is the putter in the patent.

It has those bumps on the face of the putter--haven't ever seen anything like it. I was thinking it was from the 90s or so, so 2000 fits the timeline. Maybe this was a prototype.

Liked your post solely for the thread title. 

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

Now I want sushi for lunch, lol.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The first time I hit this thing I disliked the feel but it has really grown on me. So much so that I cut the shaft down to my height and put a new grip on it and will put it in the bag for awhile. The face has these little dot protrusions that give a pop sensation off the face, so feels different than a typical putter but starting to get used to it. Now it's got me thinking about putting a proper finish on it (it is raw carbon steel right now so clean canvas). I've got a few ideas but open to suggestions if anyone has any good ideas on how to finish it. IMG_1891.JPGIMG_1892.JPG

I always recommend copper for carbon steel putters.  It's maintenance free, and patinas up nicely for a rich, worn look that darkens over time.  You can also specify satin for anti glare.  

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

The first time I hit this thing I disliked the feel but it has really grown on me. So much so that I cut the shaft down to my height and put a new grip on it and will put it in the bag for awhile. The face has these little dot protrusions that give a pop sensation off the face, so feels different than a typical putter but starting to get used to it. Now it's got me thinking about putting a proper finish on it (it is raw carbon steel right now so clean canvas). I've got a few ideas but open to suggestions if anyone has any good ideas on how to finish it. attachicon.gifIMG_1891.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1892.JPG

And I even like the colors!  Go Beavs!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived