Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

FAKE/incorrect handicaps

OHIOgolf

Ok I have taken golf very seriously over the past year. To the point to where I have a good understanding of not just the game and my swing but the rules of golf. I consistently feel that when talking to friends or people at the courses I belong to, that after playing or watching them golf; their handicap that they tell me definitely doesn't equate to the quality of their game.

Even to the point to where I feel I should restart my handicap because I am now playing low 90's compared to my 110's

This may be more of a rant but if I'm not playing in comp should I even give a darn about what HC someone is or even myself? I use it to see my progression more so than anything else.

Most people don't understand handicap and base it in the score they typically shoot. Scoring average of 82 doesn't make you a 10 handicap; you could be a mid single digit depending on the difficulty of the courses you play.

Unless you are playing competitively don't worry about someone's handicap. For personal progress evaluation it is a decent tool.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What do you mean by restart? HDCP only counts for your best 10 of past 20 scores anyways. If you're accurately tracking it should naturally adjust accordingly. 

Even to the point to where I feel I should restart my handicap because I am now playing low 90's compared to my 110's

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

The golf world is full of sandbaggers. Every course I have ever belonged to has them and the funny thing is that everyone knows who they are yet they continue to play their silly game. My current course has a great way of weeding them out of mens night competition by keeping a men's night handicap. Like you I keep a handicap to gauge my game and how I am trending. On the other side of it there are a few out there that shave strokes to give them a lower handicap, I don't understand why especially if you are playing in tournaments. Takes all kinds to make the world spin.

Driver: Taylormade QI10

3W: Taylormade QI10

5W: Taylormade QI10

Hybrid Taylormade 4 QI10

Irons: 5 to LW Taylormade Stealth

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour

Ball: Taylormade TP 

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag

"A golf handicap is a numerical measure of a golfer's potential ability. In stroke play, it is used to calculate a net score from the number of strokes actually played during a competition, thus allowing players of different proficiency to play against each other on somewhat equal terms." The key word is potential ability. You may shoot a career best 85, followed up by a 100 (been there). Remember the handicap is calculated over a minimum of 5 rounds and the difficulty of the course. It's really used to put you on equal footing when in competition against someone that may be better or worse than you.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

There are a few twists to the conversation from my perspective.

Some people brag about their 'low' handicap but play much higher - I dub that vanity handicap. Could be the situation you encounter

The index or handicap is based on your 10 best scores. There are lots of days I don't play to my handicap, especially in tournaments.

Then there are some that (unethically) post only their worst scores so they have a better chance in league play. Not the situation you encounter but it does happen unfortunately.

Lastly the handicap is based on the difficulty of the course or the tees played from. For instance if your handicap index is 26 and your playing a course that has a slope rating of 100 your course handicap is 23. On the other hand if the slope rating is 125 that 26 handicap becomes a 29. My conclusion is that if your friends play an easy course or from the forward tees vs a more difficult course or back tees that has a direct impact on the handicap.

As an FYI if you're on GHIN you can look up 'partner handicaps'

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Soooo... anyone got any tips or places to calculate your handicap?

Asking for a friend....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

Soooo... anyone got any tips or places to calculate your handicap?

Asking for a friend....

Your local public course most likely provides handicap services. You can also join a club without real estate and turn all your scores in online.

Is The Grint's handicap legit USGA?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If you just want to track your handicap for personal reasons, you don't need to join GHIN in your local state.  That can cost about $45 plus a men's club fee at certain courses.  Better option is The Grint; you can maintain your handicap for free.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Glad to see some others post it, but there is such a thing a reverse sandbagging or the vanity handicap. There's also the idea of course difficulty and tees. To use courses in our area being a 10 playing the middle tees at Mallard or Hickory Nut is not the same as a 10 that plays the tips at Gray Hawk. And people who pick up everything within 6 feet of the hole all day shouldn't count those rounds anyways.

Overall try not to worry about what other people say and play and focus on your own game. you keep posting scores and working on it yours will legitimately trend in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Ok I have taken golf very seriously over the past year. To the point to where I have a good understanding of not just the game and my swing but the rules of golf. I consistently feel that when talking to friends or people at the courses I belong to, that after playing or watching them golf; their handicap that they tell me definitely doesn't equate to the quality of their game.

This may be more of a rant but if I'm not playing in comp should I even give a darn about what HC someone is or even myself? I use it to see my progression more so than anything else.

"Even to the point to where I feel I should restart my handicap because I am now playing low 90's compared to my 110"

As long as you're posting your scores that will take care of itself. As mentioned elsewhere your current index is based on the best 10 of your last 20 rounds. The whole point is to identify your current potential, not how you played last year

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

http://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

It doesn't save it though, but will calculate it.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

My experience has clearly differed from others. I belonged to a club in Indiana and the Pro policed things. We had a sandbagging issue one season and the two guys where asked to leave the club.

The four leagues that I've been a part of had a handicap committee that does its job and anyway league handicaps are always based on league play so sand bagging either way is not helpful.

My current club is policed by the pros who regularly check handicaps, make sure that scores are entered and know their members - you play with a pro as part of your club entry.

In regards to differing degrees of difficulty or tees all of that is mitigated by handicap index. My current 5.9 index makes me a 7 or 8 at my exceedingly difficult club. I have that index even though I only break 80 1 out of every 3 or 4 times.

I'm almost always in the 30's for the nine that I play in league. Easier course, lower handicap. That's how it works.

Just enter your scores and don't worry about it. Your handicap will adjust.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Unless competing against someone I could care less what their hdcp is or if they are telling the truth about it. For my own hdcp I use it to help judge the state oh my game in comparison to where it has been but also to play in weekend money games or hdcp events

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Ohiogolf check with the pro at the club or muni you play they'd may provide access to GHIN at no or minimal cost. I play with a couple of guys that didn't realize they could use GHIN (no charge) - our course provides it no charge for individuals who participate in league play.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Or adopt the EGA system and problem solved! :)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Ohiogolf check with the pro at the club or muni you play they'd may provide access to GHIN at no or minimal cost. I play with a couple of guys that didn't realize they could use GHIN (no charge) - our course provides it no charge for individuals who participate in league play.

The course I play most of my golf at provides GHIN handicapping through the Virginia State Golf Association for $35/year. This is the third course I've used, and all three have been $35/year for ages.

I play in a few events each year that require a legitimate, verifiable USGA handicap, so I keep a "real" handicap. If I just needed it for casual nassaus with my buddies, a free service that uses the USGA formula is just fine. Heck, you can take the formula and build a spreadsheet.

http://www.usga.org/Handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14389

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

My experience has clearly differed from others. I belonged to a club in Indiana and the Pro policed things. We had a sandbagging issue one season and the two guys where asked to leave the club.

The four leagues that I've been a part of had a handicap committee that does its job and anyway league handicaps are always based on league play so sand bagging either way is not helpful.

My current club is policed by the pros who regularly check handicaps, make sure that scores are entered and know their members - you play with a pro as part of your club entry.

I belonged to a private club for a little while, and if your name was on the tee sheet and did not turn in a score, the pro shop entered a 71 (even par) for you. And you did not play without being on the tee sheet, even if you just walked up late in the afternoon.

None of the public courses where I've kept my handicap do anything to police the situation.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Wow a 71 would motivate me to post my score every time.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I just know I'm progressing and really that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I stopped playing in a league last year because they don't play by the rules and still kept a HC I.e. moving the ball slightly for a better lie, hitting it out of bounds and not hitting from the original spot or not taking a provisional. Sometimes I feel the HC system is not as taken seriously by most and only taken seriously by... well members on this forum lol

Your local public course most likely provides handicap services. You can also join a club without real estate and turn all your scores in online.

Is The Grint's handicap legit USGA?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

From everything I looked up, yes it is. Diablo golf is legit as well. I use The Grint since my club closed in December.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

From everything I looked up, yes it is. Diablo golf is legit as well. I use The Grint since my club closed in December.

I use Diablo for my official handicap. No problems.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I just know I'm progressing and really that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I stopped playing in a league last year because they don't play by the rules and still kept a HC I.e. moving the ball slightly for a better lie, hitting it out of bounds and not hitting from the original spot or not taking a provisional. Sometimes I feel the HC system is not as taken seriously by most and only taken seriously by... well members on this forum lol

That is annoying when that happens - it destroys the integrity of the game. Once you start, i.e., moving the ball, foot wedges, etc. when do you stop.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Most I play with don't keep track of handicap, but we got the one guy who moves the ball around in the middle of the fairway, etc, etc and then talks about how good he shoots. He isn't a bad player and could shoot well, but I think it's all ruined when he starts doing that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is annoying when that happens - it destroys the integrity of the game. Once you start, i.e., moving the ball, foot wedges, etc. when do you stop.

The most annoying part is when they brag about the great shot they had from the worlds most comfortable lie from 3 inch rough. In those leagues lag putting is key because it seems like anything within 2-3 feet is a gimme.

Titleist 718 ap3 (X-stiff,2 flat)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges

Taylormade Spider Tour Putter RED 35” 1* Flat

Taylormade r1 (x-stiff)

Left Handed

OHIO NORTH

22.4 HC

I'm a big fan of the pro shop turning in an even par score card. Man that would hurt but That would definitely force people to send in their scores. Also I love the vanity handicaps. They don't stand a chance in a match.

I'm a big fan of the pro shop turning in an even par score card. Man that would hurt but That would definitely force people to send in their scores. Also I love the vanity handicaps. They don't stand a chance in a match.

From what I heard, my old club had a huge problem with sandbaggers in the past. Turning in an even par round for people solved that problem quickly. I've heard of other clubs turning in a net even par score for you. That's letting you off too easily.

My biggest problem is that I hardly play over the winter, and I get stuck playing the spring with my late fall handicap, which is when I'm playing a ton and usually put up some decent scores.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

From what I heard, my old club had a huge problem with sandbaggers in the past. Turning in an even par round for people solved that problem quickly. I've heard of other clubs turning in a net even par score for you. That's letting you off too easily.My biggest problem is that I hardly play over the winter, and I get stuck playing the spring with my late fall handicap, which is when I'm playing a ton and usually put up some decent scores.

Early spring is always tough after the winter break. When you are dropping off those good fall scores the old handicap jumps up a bit. It takes a good month to get things back to where they belong. Part of the fun of living in the snow zone.

Driver: Taylormade QI10

3W: Taylormade QI10

5W: Taylormade QI10

Hybrid Taylormade 4 QI10

Irons: 5 to LW Taylormade Stealth

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour

Ball: Taylormade TP 

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag

Agreed, Flipper. Problem is, I moved to Virginia to get out of the snow zone!

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived