Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Smartest Shot of The Round-Tell Us About Them Here

So we have a thread for a lot of different parts of our game, the good the bad and the ugly if you will.  

But we don't often get to brag about when we've used good course management or played the "smart" shot instead of the hero shot.

So here's where you have a chance to tell us about any occasion during  round, where you stopped thought over the situation and opted for the "smart" shot or play, and how it turned out.

I'll start it off. 

This morning, missed the green pin high to the left.    Pin was literally 4 paces off the left of the green...and that's counting the fringe.   Ball was about 5 to 8 feet into pretty deep but manageable rough.  Total distance to the pin, less than 20 feet probably possibly 15.    

My first thought was the 58 degree and try to land it in the fringe and let it trickle down toward the hole.  But yeah, we've all been there before, that's a tough little 3 yard shot our of some fairly thick deep rough, huge opportunity to leave it right where it is or skull it 30 yards across the green.

I actually stopped thought about it and still played a soft little flop but making sure I landed on the green. Figured if it ran 15 to 20 feet by the pin, I'd still be putting and most likely walk off with no worst than bogey.  But take double or worst out of play...i HATE double bogeys.

So that's what I did played a confident and slightly too strong little flop that ran about 6 paces past the pin.   I had about 18 feet, and little right to left break.  But felt I could easily two putt it.    Put a nice stroke on it watched it track a bit right and at the last minute dive into the hole for Par!!

I felt really good about the thought process and the execution.   When you think about it, my chances of making an 18 footer are a hell of a lot higher than trying to get another chip from 12 feet into tap in range to save bogey!! 

So let's hear your examples of a smart decision and how it played out!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So we have a thread for a lot of different parts of our game, the good the bad and the ugly if you will.

But we don't often get to brag about when we've used good course management or played the "smart" shot instead of the hero shot.

So here's where you have a chance to tell us about any occasion during round, where you stopped thought over the situation and opted for the "smart" shot or play, and how it turned out.

I'll start it off.

This morning, missed the green pin high to the left. Pin was literally 4 paces off the left of the green...and that's counting the fringe. Ball was about 5 to 8 feet into pretty deep but manageable rough. Total distance to the pin, less than 20 feet probably possibly 15.

My first thought was the 58 degree and try to land it in the fringe and let it trickle down toward the hole. But yeah, we've all been there before, that's a tough little 3 yard shot our of some fairly thick deep rough, huge opportunity to leave it right where it is or skull it 30 yards across the green.

I actually stopped thought about it and still played a soft little flop but making sure I landed on the green. Figured if it ran 15 to 20 feet by the pin, I'd still be putting and most likely walk off with no worst than bogey. But take double or worst out of play...i HATE double bogeys.

So that's what I did played a confident and slightly too strong little flop that ran about 6 paces past the pin. I had about 18 feet, and little right to left break. But felt I could easily two putt it. Put a nice stroke on it watched it track a bit right and at the last minute dive into the hole for Par!!

I felt really good about the thought process and the execution. When you think about it, my chances of making an 18 footer are a hell of a lot higher than trying to get another chip from 12 feet into tap in range to save bogey!!

So let's hear your examples of a smart decision and how it played out!

># 13 short par 5 (505yrds) pinion hills. crushed a good drive. Got up to my second and thought about going for it in 2 but water on the left of the green and it was a tight window so decide on the smart play and layed up with a 5i. Nice easy swing, actually put it a little closer than i would have like but had a nice easy 25yrd chip. Took out my 58° hogan wedge, put a nice fluid swing on it, actually landed it right where i wanted it. Ball took the slope. Im thinking i got a nice easy birdie coming, but rhe ball kept rolling... Its in the hole! First eagle of the year!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I played an awful round on the weekend, but redeemed with a birdie on #15 that I then turned into 3 straight pars to finish the day. 

In the rough with a decently tall tree in front of me, about 130 yards to the middle of the green. My first thought was, hit a pitching wedge over the tree and land on the green. However, after a 2nd thought, the branches on the tree were cut high (and the lie was a bit buried) so I thought, "maybe a low runner makes more sense here". So I grabbed the 7-iron and hit a nice punch shot out into the fairway. As I was congratulating myself on a smart decision, I figured I would end up a little short of the hole (as the fairway ran up towards the green) but could easily salvage a par from there. As it was, the ball kept rolling and ended up settling 2 feet from the pin. Knocked in a birdie. Score one for the low road!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I played an awful round on the weekend, but redeemed with a birdie on #15 that I then turned into 3 straight pars to finish the day. 

In the rough with a decently tall tree in front of me, about 130 yards to the middle of the green. My first thought was, hit a pitching wedge over the tree and land on the green. However, after a 2nd thought, the branches on the tree were cut high (and the lie was a bit buried) so I thought, "maybe a low runner makes more sense here". So I grabbed the 7-iron and hit a nice punch shot out into the fairway. As I was congratulating myself on a smart decision, I figured I would end up a little short of the hole (as the fairway ran up towards the green) but could easily salvage a par from there. As it was, the ball kept rolling and ended up settling 2 feet from the pin. Knocked in a birdie. Score one for the low road!

Nice!!  That's a perfect example.   Kind of like my play it safe for bogey high lob turned into a par!  

Note:  Also check your PM's from yesterday  :D

Me smart? in the same sentence or paragraph. You gotta be kidding. What a Oxymoron that is even better than Naval Intelligence. Hey I was in the Navy so that qualifies me to make that last statement :D

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

In our little best-ball scramble Saturday, my group of 3 all shot our 2'nd approach shots down to the green on a par-4. One went left off the green and would be a pitch/chip up for maybe par. The second settled below th hole on the apron about 25' away. The third was the closest, but it had rolled behind the pin to the fringe and left a ticklish little 12' downhill putt that could easily have rolled off the green for bogie or worse. My teammates both asked me which one to take and I instantly selected the longer one below the hole. Normally we generally go with the shot closest so I had some "splainin'" to do. They bought in and we then had our tries from 25'-not 20.

Our first player, Miss "M", came up short. I hit it harder and tapped in for at last a par on our card. Our 3'rd man, Mr "C", then stepped in and drained it for bird like a BOSS! :D

Shorter doesn't always mean better... :huh:

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Love the topic.

Today played my home course and hole 12 which is already an annoying hole became much more!

Its a tiny par 3 that maxes out at 95 yards. It's taken me several rounds this season to finally figured out what club to use. Long is death on this hole as the green drops off the back about 10 feet and behind that is a swamp. Infront is a bunker right center. Pin today was middle righy if the green in a normal tough spot especially for putting. Tees however were moved forward to a place I had never seen them before. Way forward. I had finally got comfortable me with the 56 on the hole and didn't want to try and baby a shot because I often hit it thin and off the back I'd be. So I went with my 60 figuring if I'm short I'm short so be it. Hit it very pure and ended up with a nice 5 foot up hill left to right breaker. Made par and was very pleased. Seems like a simple but sensible change, but it's a hole that I've seen many many doubles and triples on and even had so making par with a club I don't think I've ever used off the tee was a great win and a smart choice for my game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I hit it harder and tapped in for at last a par on our card. 

You need to be careful doing that. My FIL pointed out to me once that you should never do that because once the ball is in the hole, your team is finished. Always mark your ball and let everyone finish their shot before tapping in.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

We have a 9 hole league in the summers that plays a quota points based game. Last night I was going along ok until I had a 105 yard wedge to a very shallow green and the wind swirling. I couldn't decide what shot to hit, finally tried to flight down a gap wedge, but backed up out of it and hit it weakly into the bunker short of the green. Now I have about a 4 yard bunker shot to an elevated and shallow green, and I get there to see that my ball is embedded in the the footprints of the group in front of us. I'm pissed at the shot I've hit and I'm furious that they made no effort to rake. 2 large sets of prints tromping in and out of the bunker. There's no way I can hold the green so I have to find a way to make bogey somehow because that's at least worth a point. If I make double I get nothing. I finally decide to play a little sideways away from the hole but down the longer side of the green and toward some grass that will stop me and maybe I can get that up and down for bogey. The ball comes out hot and runs through the green but at least I still have a chance. Wouldn't you know I chip that one in to save par! My playing partner called it the best up and down he's ever seen and I couldn't wipe the sh*t-eating grin off my face. All too often I make double or worse by trying the impossible shot in a desperate attempt to save par. It was nice to make the best decision, take my medicine and get rewarded for it.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

You need to be careful doing that. My FIL pointed out to me once that you should never do that because once the ball is in the hole, your team is finished. Always mark your ball and let everyone finish their shot before tapping in.

So that's the thing about scrambles. They are no it recognized by the rules of golf (from what I understand) so its left to each event to list it's on rules and yes I've always seen a read the if you tap it in on the edge thsts your score and you are done.

C'mon man!! Are you kidding me?? Scrambles take long enough. Do you really want the group in front of you to take the time to mark the ball, then move the mark, because the mark is right in front of the hole. Then go back replace the mark and tap In. Really!!

I'll continue to tap those 1" putts in and wait for someone to call us on it

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Don't you hate it when you try to do the smart thing and it bites you? Last week I tried to play smart - par 5 with second shot needing to carry about 210 to clear a pond. Since I had not been hitting the ball well so far this year, I grabbed a 7i to do the "smart" thing. Naturally I blocked it to the right into some trees, fumbled around there for a while and carded an 7. This week, I was in similar position and said "screw it" and went for it. Landed pin high just to the left of the green and ended up with a stress free par.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

So that's the thing about scrambles. They are no it recognized by the rules of golf (from what I understand) so its left to each event to list it's on rules and yes I've always seen a read the if you tap it in on the edge thsts your score and you are done.

C'mon man!! Are you kidding me?? Scrambles take long enough. Do you really want the group in front of you to take the time to mark the ball, then move the mark, because the mark is right in front of the hole. Then go back replace the mark and tap In. Really!!

I'll continue to tap those 1" putts in and wait for someone to call us on it

This times a million!!! We have one guy at our club who gripes about this and it's like come on man if it's a roll or two from the hole just tap it in and get it out of the way. Four people aren't going to miss a 6 inch putt.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

This times a million!!! We have one guy at our club who gripes about this and it's like come on man if it's a roll or two from the hole just tap it in and get it out of the way. Four people aren't going to miss a 6 inch putt.

Word has gotten out locally and many of the charity tournaments instituted a 2 putt maximum rule.

GIR is guaranteed at worst, a par. It's smart and keeps pace. We rarely play 5 hour rounds.

As far as getting back to topic, best I can say is my course management has forced me to improve my longer irons and putting. The center of the green never moves and I was told long ago that rather than be fancy, just put it on the green and let your putter do the work. Smarter tee shots and be ok with a longer approach. It's paid off well for me.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I shall certainly bring that up the next time we play. I was unaware of that caveat but it makes total sense. Thanks! 

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I think that was the whole point of the thread, and you missed it.

I'm confused about what you think I missed?

So here's where you have a chance to tell us about any occasion during round, where you stopped thought over the situation and opted for the "smart" shot or play, and how it turned out.

What part of the above did I fail to follow to your standards?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Archived