North Central: ND, SD, NE, IA, CO, KS, MO

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s yourhandicap or normal score?  Started in early teens. 20 yrs off and on since then. Getting back into it. Shooting bogey golf but started to make some good progress lately. 

2. What do you love about golf? I enjoy the mental and physical aspect. When something finally clicks. And that pure shot that keeps ya coming back. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Came to MSG for the reviews and getting into the community. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Central SoDak. Have two courses close that each have their own pros and cons. City course that’s a nice par 72 and a locally owned Par 63 that’s super laidback. 

5. I’m a Commercial HVAC Tech. That’s also how I came up with my user name. 

Cobra One Lengths, odyssey two ball putter, Taylormade Fairway wood, mini driver 3 wood, Cobra driver.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have been playing seriously for about two years now.  I have had two shoulder reconstructions, the first of which stopped my playing my senior year of high school.  Finally got back into it in 2021.  Sitting at about a 25 handicap, with a goal to get it down to 20 next year.

What do you love about golf?

It's precious time to get outside, and out of my day-to-day headspace to slow down and focus on things that aren't work

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I love data, breaking down the various parts of things and really getting into why things are the way they are.  MGS is one of the few places that seems to scratch that itch in golf for me.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Saint Charles, MO, a suburb of Saint Louis.  My home course is Norwood Hills Country Club.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best is the amount of places to go play, it seems there is always someplace new to try out.  The worst is the weather; I'll play all winter if I can, but 100+ degrees and high humidity in summer are the worst.

What do you do for a living?

I am Vice President and Co-owner of a small business in the area.

How’d you pick your user name?

It's my name, nothing special really

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

Hi all! Have been reading the articles and review from MyGolfSpy forever, time to join the forums!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I'm 48 currently, picked up my first club at 14. Handicap is currently a 5, hoping to get that lower before the season ends.

What do you love about golf? No two rounds are ever the same...plus, I love the outdoors!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I've read the articles forever and looked at the reviews so I'm past due getting here to the forums.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Live in Lincoln, Nebraska and my home course is Ashland Country Club. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing about golf here is the price, much more affordable than other regions in the country. Worst thing is definitely the weather in Nebraska...Winters are COLD, summers are HOT AND HUMID!

What do you do for a living? I work in imports/exports for a large shipping company assisting clients in moving freight via air and ocean.

How’d you pick your user name? I've had this since I was 32 so just haven't changed it! 🙂

Excited to be a part of the forums and meeting fellow golfers!

Edited by Rygolf32
Text change to match other posts

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

10 hours ago, Rygolf32 said:

Hi all! Have been reading the articles and review from MyGolfSpy forever, time to join the forums!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I'm 48 currently, picked up my first club at 14. Handicap is currently a 5, hoping to get that lower before the season ends.

What do you love about golf? No two rounds are ever the same...plus, I love the outdoors!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I've read the articles forever and looked at the reviews so I'm past due getting here to the forums.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Live in Lincoln, Nebraska and my home course is Ashland Country Club. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing about golf here is the price, much more affordable than other regions in the country. Worst thing is definitely the weather in Nebraska...Winters are COLD, summers are HOT AND HUMID!

What do you do for a living? I work in imports/exports for a large shipping company assisting clients in moving freight via air and ocean.

How’d you pick your user name? I've had this since I was 32 so just haven't changed it! 🙂

Excited to be a part of the forums and meeting fellow golfers!

I’m in Elkhorn. We should get together sometime and hit the links! What’s your favorite course down there?

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+

1 hour ago, Preeway said:

I’m in Elkhorn. We should get together sometime and hit the links! What’s your favorite course down there?

Absolutely! My wife and I belong to Ashland CC but I like playing about anywhere around Omaha/Lincoln! You have one of the best IMO by you in Indian Creek! 

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

18 minutes ago, Rygolf32 said:

Absolutely! My wife and I belong to Ashland CC but I like playing about anywhere around Omaha/Lincoln! You have one of the best IMO by you in Indian Creek! 

I play Indian Creek several times each year. I’ve been wanting to play Ashland for a while now. You ever play Iron Horse?

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

9 hours ago, Preeway said:

I play Indian Creek several times each year. I’ve been wanting to play Ashland for a while now. You ever play Iron Horse?

Yep, always try to play Iron Horse and Quarry Oaks a couple of times a year. Both very enjoyable (interested to see the 'new' Quarry next year)! Ashland was VERY dry about a month ago but all of the rain we've gotten recently has done wonders!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been golfing for over 25 years having grown up on my little local Par 3 course. Loved spending the summers golfing and swimming everyday with friends! I've never been a great golfer though am improving and am currently a 13 handicap. 

What do you love about golf? I love getting on the course with friends and family, and love seeing my young boys start to enjoy the game as well!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Excellent testing and product reviews. I have been reading the articles for a while now, but just hadn't signed up.

Where are you from? What is your home course? I am military so I move often but I currently live in Colorado Springs. My "home course" is technically Cherokee Ridge Golf Course but me and my buddy play all of our favorite local courses pretty evenly.  

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing is definitely the ability to golf and ski all winter! While there are plenty of cold snowy days, we also have frequent 55 degree and sunny days throughout a Colorado winter. The worst thing may be dry courses during drought and winter, but it's really not bad.

What do you do for a living? I am a network engineer in the US Army.

How’d you pick your user name? I've had it since the internet became a thing. Named after my family dog at the time and my long-time baseball number.

- Kyle M

I grew up on a private golf course as a kid but never took to the sport...now I'm 44 and completely obsessed with it.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I started playing in March 2023 and have been taking lessons and practicing multiple times a week since then.  I've only played four rounds of 9 and two rounds of 18 so far, but I'm finally getting to the point where keeping score makes sense, lol.  My goal is to get to 18 this Fall.    

2. What do you love about golf?

I tend to get bored quickly with hobbies, so I love the sheer complexity of golf which makes for a life-long challenge.  

I came for the great reviews and articles and was pleasantly surprised to learn about the forum.  

4.  Where are you from? What is your home course?

Boulder, Colorado.  Coal Creek in Louisville, CO has been my go-to, but there are tons of others I want to check out.  

5.  6 months out of the year from May to October this place is heaven...November to April suck.  

6. What do you do for a living?

I'm a budget director for a federal agency that manages 380M RSF of owned and leased commercial real estate.  

7. How’d you pick your user name?

Just a derivative of my name.  

Bag: Vessel Player III

Driver: PING G430 Max

3W + 7W: PING G430 SFT

4H: PING G430

5i-PW, AW: TaylorMade P770

56 + 60 Wedge: TaylorMade Hi-Toe 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 2-ball Strokelab  

Hello all, looking forward to learn from you all  

How long have you been playing golf?

I would get out and play with my dad sparingly as a kid with my dad but really started playing more consistently in the last 2 years  

What’s your handicap or normal score?

I use the 18Birdies app and right now they have my handicap at 14.8 but that seems low for me. Probably closer to 16

I love that it only takes that one shot to bring you back another time. You can hit 10 bad in a row but that 1 shot that goes right reminds you why you’re out there.

Have followed on Twitter/X for some time and finally decided to take the plunge and see what the forum is like. Looking to learn from others and continue to improve.

I am from Osawatomie Kansas and they actually have a decent course just outside of town that I play pretty often.

Weather is obviously the biggest issue in Kansas. There are only certain windows of the year that I can get out and play as much as I want to.

I am a special education teacher and coach for middle school and high school students. Coach football and baseball for the school and basketball and softball for my daughters.

lol didn’t realize I needed a special username. Going to go back and see if I can come up with something creative. 

Drew Needham

Teacher and Coach 

Hola all! My name is Casey and I'm not an avid forum user, but MGS has a lot of reviews for equipment and accessories so I figured this would be a great way for me to find out more information and even possibly meet others in my area that like to do a heckin' golf.

How long have you been playing golf? ~25 years, however, I took a long hiatus between competitive play in high school and now where I only played a few times a year as an occasional add on for scrambles or to catch up with friends. I'm back into regular play now and looking for amateur competitive opportunities.

What’s your handicap or normal score? It varies. I'm using the Arccos system to track play and am currently working on what golf clubs work best for me. If I'm truly strict it's roughly a 15, but my ability is probably closer to a <10. I've made huge gains in approach, short, and putting. Now that I'm correcting some driver slice and tall iron fade the ball is staying where it belongs and I'm dialing things in better.

What do you love about golf? The masochistic way it hurts so bad all the time but every now and again the course tells me it loves me so I stick with it.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? As stated before, came for the reviews, stayed for the opportunity to learn more and perhaps even volunteer to test gear and products. There's quite a few things i don't see data on that I'd like to know more about.

Do you already know any other Spies? I'd tell you, but then I'd have to waterboard you.....but no, no I don't.

Where are you from? What is your home course? I currently live in Columbia MO and mostly play between Lake of The Woods and L.A. Nickel clubs. My home home course is the McCall Golf Club in McCall, ID.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Courses are really lovely and inexpensive with lush grass, plenty of trees and rolling hills which can be difficult as they hide holes, but also offer a bit more excitement. The worst things would probably be the humidititties and the likelihood of getting caught in torrential downpours.

What do you do for a living? Project manager for SimpleVoIP, an enterprise Voice over IP solution.

How’d you pick your user name? Clem Fandango is a character from a show called Toast of London. It's an obscure British comedy staring Matt Berry and if you've never seen it, correct yourself immediately. I have nothing in common with the character other than liking the name and also enjoying slightly messing with people.

What's in the bag? I'm currently experimenting with new solutions using the Arccos caddy system. I have been using Tommy Armour TA1 Driver and 3,5 woods for a couple years and really like them. I got them at an unbelievable price and haven't found any other driver on the market that I hit any further. As of today I receive my new Ping G425 Irons which are replacing King Cobra Tour MIM irons. I really like the Tours, but the club heads are really small and while they felt great when hit correctly, the fact that they had TPS-$ Shafts meant that when they weren't spot on, they killed me on the course, leaving me with less distance on my 3,4 irons than my outgoing Ping ISI-Ks. I think, had I gotten them with a lighter stiff shaft like my new G25s are coming equipped with, they would have been much better. Wedges are Tommy Armour cavity back 52, 56, and 60 replacing my outgoing King Tour Gap, Callaway PM Grind 56 and Callaway Jaws 60. Putter is an Odyssey 2ball White Steel.

Tell us about your balls? I'm looking at all the balls. I'm trying to figure out what works best for my playing style, and thanks to a snazzy water retriever and a couple free afternoons I've hunted down 5 gallons of found balls in good shape, so I have plenty to experiment with. So far I've found that anything soft is slow and falls short of where I want the ball to go. Top Flight XLs have been surprisingly great and I've played really well with Bridgestone Tours. Noodles are hot garbage. Don't love much that Wilson nor Pinnacle have to offer. Working my way up to the Callaways, Taylor Mades and Titleists. I use Arccos to track what ball I use for each round of golf.

"Hit the ball like you know you can, not like you think you will."
                                                                            - Me, I say that.

Hey @CGRIGSBY- welcome to the site! Golf is such a great game so I am glad you are giving it a go. I am a bit south of you in the Springs but always looking to tee it up. Currently working through a grip change and a small swing tweak but hit me up if you are ever interested in teeing it up.

WITB

Ping G410 | Titleist TS3 | Srixon Z585 |Cleveland RTX4 | Ping Redwood Piper | Pro V1

On 8/8/2023 at 11:13 AM, Needhammer10 said:

Hello all, looking forward to learn from you all  

How long have you been playing golf?

I would get out and play with my dad sparingly as a kid with my dad but really started playing more consistently in the last 2 years  

What’s your handicap or normal score?

I use the 18Birdies app and right now they have my handicap at 14.8 but that seems low for me. Probably closer to 16

I love that it only takes that one shot to bring you back another time. You can hit 10 bad in a row but that 1 shot that goes right reminds you why you’re out there.

Have followed on Twitter/X for some time and finally decided to take the plunge and see what the forum is like. Looking to learn from others and continue to improve.

I am from Osawatomie Kansas and they actually have a decent course just outside of town that I play pretty often.

Weather is obviously the biggest issue in Kansas. There are only certain windows of the year that I can get out and play as much as I want to.

I am a special education teacher and coach for middle school and high school students. Coach football and baseball for the school and basketball and softball for my daughters.

lol didn’t realize I needed a special username. Going to go back and see if I can come up with something creative. 

Hey Neighbor! Welcome! I am up in Overland Park, haven't had a chance to play Osawatomie yet. Furthest south I've been to play is Sycamore Ridge so far.

Driver : :callaway-small:GBB Epic, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (44.75")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Hybrid: :srixon-small: Z H85, 19° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Black 85g, 5.5 flex
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)
Putter: :ping-small: DS72 C, 35”, PP60 grip

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Started playing when I was 12, did some big jr tournaments in my area for a few years then got burnt out by highschool. Then took several years off to regain the love again  been back playing for about 7 years. I dont have an official handicap but i’d say its 5-7. Normal score lately has been in the 70’s with some high 60’s when my game is clicking  

Being outside, challenging yourself, I enjoy teaching friends who ask for help

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Joined a couple years ago but as of late I realized I can enjoy talking/reading golf with strangers. 
I know user Tsauer as he encouraged me to start being active in this group since we nerd out about golf IRL  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Little Ol Belle, Missouri home of Kingsford Charcoal.   Pine ridge golf course. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

worst is easily winter months of no golf

best is taking the winter break to really dial in your bag/thoughts and goals for the next season, winter is expensive 😂

Software Developer for Banking apps

Initials and my family’s long time mx racing number( my dad was 8th in the nationals one year). 

Edited by TG8
More info

WITB

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 9:35 AM, CLenahan said:

Saint Charles, MO, a suburb of Saint Louis.  My home course is Norwood Hills Country Club.

Does the name Dustin Odham ring a bell?

Gimme Golf Club - "Everyone Only"

image.png.5eefd8c128d4e8ec9012c8ba689631ed.png  M2 (2016) Driver image.png.b5c7f049cf0e193a7887b5f15b860842.png OG RBZ 3-Banger

:Sub70: 659 TC :Sub70:  005 Wide Blade CS

Wedges change daily...

Does the name Dustin Odham ring a bell?

I can’t say that it does. I’m really just now starting to meet more members as I am much more active than over the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: North Central Region

North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

1. I've been playing golf for less than 10 years, and my handicap is down to a +2 now. 

2. Golf is the perfect game for competitive spirits. Hard to master, even harder on the mind. 

3. I've been reading MyGolfSpy for 4 or 5 years now. Love every minute of data. 

4. St. Louis, Missouri and Franklin County Country Club. Absolute GEM

5. Fall golf is amazing in Missouri, but winter is the dreadful. 4 months of horrible weather without much golf. 

6. MATH TEACHER! 

7. Name abbreviation 

:callaway-small:Driver: Ai SmokeTriple Diamond

:ping-small: G425 MAX 12* w/ 3 Wood shaft

:srixon-small: Utility 3 Iron

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:titleist-small:Wedges:  SM10 50* 54* F Grinds and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

11 hours ago, CLenahan said:

I can’t say that it does. I’m really just now starting to meet more members as I am much more active than over the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a long standing member there. About 40ish. Great dude if you ever get to play with him.

image.png.5eefd8c128d4e8ec9012c8ba689631ed.png  M2 (2016) Driver image.png.b5c7f049cf0e193a7887b5f15b860842.png OG RBZ 3-Banger

Wedges change daily...

Just now, ALo314 said:

He's a long standing member there. About 40ish. Great dude if you ever get to play with him.

I'll keep an eye out!  thank you

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Started the game semi-seriously around 19. I'm around a 2 index, but more like a 4-5.

What do you love about golf? You can play alone. You can play in groups of forty. You can play clover patches or the most pristine properties in the world. At the end of the day its just you vs the land.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've loved all the MGS reports and findings over the last couple of years. I never realized there was a forum that went along with it.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Grew up in St. Louis. Now reside in God's country in North Missouri. My home track is a vibey little 9-holer in Lamoni, Iowa.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The worst is definitely spring weather. The best is I'm within a 4-5 hour drive to a TON of great courses.

What do you do for a living? HS Golf coach, among other ventures.

How’d you pick your user name? A combo of my name + my hometown.

Wedges change daily...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  

I picked up golf in May 2023. I had played a few times about a decade ago, but hadn’t touched clubs since. I had a cheap set because I’m left handed, and had moved them around without touching them—my bag was like a time capsule (complete with a water bottle and snickers bar still in the bag). My husband and I moved around a lot for work, and finally landed in Colorado, but I work from home full time and was struggling to meet new people. I stepped onto a range in May and I remember feeling defeated that I still knew no one to play with. One day a couple commented on my swing and after chatting for a few minutes the wife invited me to join her league. From there, things took off. I met a few other ladies and we became a regular 4-some. I started practicing multiple times a week, got fit for nicer clubs, and golfed rounds at least 2x outside range work. My handicap dropped from 45 (May 2023) to 22 (Sept 2023). My goal this season is to get to 18 (we will see). 

When I went for a fitting, it was a disaster. I had good carryover from tennis, and was clear about the clubs I was looking for (irons that would allow me to grow with them for years to come). I was fit into stiff shaft Rogue Max OS and stiff shaft Ping G430 LST driver. After a few weeks, I hated the irons. They were so hot off the face, I could take my 5i 185, but unreliably. I also couldn’t hit driver. My 5i became my driver for a few weeks. Finally, a coach recommended another look at my bag. I went to a smaller local fitter, and they immediately swapped out my shafts for Alta CB regular—what a difference. Then I looked at my irons and was re-fit into Ping i525s, with G425 Alta regular shafts, black dot, which were later trimmed down .5”. Finally, came back to driver and swapped out the G430 LST for the G430 Max—jury is still out. I hit the LST well, but too much side spin, and the Max just feels different so it’s fair to say I’m still getting used to it. I use Arccos sensors (data nerd) and diligently look at where I need to improve and write practice plans off of that data. 

What do you love about golf?  I found peace out on the course, it's frustrating, it's exhilarating, and when something new clicks there is no better feeling.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I came for the ball review, I stayed for the content and mission of MGS. There are a lot of review sites out there, but MGS has methodology, standards, and objectivity.

Where are you from? What is your home course?  I live south of Denver. My home course is Red Hawk Ridge, but I will travel all over to hit up new courses.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  There are a ton of great courses in Colorado with a wide variety of terrain. You can go from gigantic rocks and rolling hills, to forested, to mountain, to links all within about an hour of each other.

What do you do for a living?  I am global head of research for a robotics company. Research and testing are my jam.

How’d you pick your user name?  I was born in Australia. Loz is a common nickname for my full name "lauren"

Vessel bag / D Ping G430 / I Ping i525 / Jailbird Odyssey / Vice Pro

4 hours ago, Loz24 said:

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  

I picked up golf in May 2023. I had played a few times about a decade ago, but hadn’t touched clubs since. I had a cheap set because I’m left handed, and had moved them around without touching them—my bag was like a time capsule (complete with a water bottle and snickers bar still in the bag). My husband and I moved around a lot for work, and finally landed in Colorado, but I work from home full time and was struggling to meet new people. I stepped onto a range in May and I remember feeling defeated that I still knew no one to play with. One day a couple commented on my swing and after chatting for a few minutes the wife invited me to join her league. From there, things took off. I met a few other ladies and we became a regular 4-some. I started practicing multiple times a week, got fit for nicer clubs, and golfed rounds at least 2x outside range work. My handicap dropped from 45 (May 2023) to 22 (Sept 2023). My goal this season is to get to 18 (we will see). 

When I went for a fitting, it was a disaster. I had good carryover from tennis, and was clear about the clubs I was looking for (irons that would allow me to grow with them for years to come). I was fit into stiff shaft Rogue Max OS and stiff shaft Ping G430 LST driver. After a few weeks, I hated the irons. They were so hot off the face, I could take my 5i 185, but unreliably. I also couldn’t hit driver. My 5i became my driver for a few weeks. Finally, a coach recommended another look at my bag. I went to a smaller local fitter, and they immediately swapped out my shafts for Alta CB regular—what a difference. Then I looked at my irons and was re-fit into Ping i525s, with G425 Alta regular shafts, black dot, which were later trimmed down .5”. Finally, came back to driver and swapped out the G430 LST for the G430 Max—jury is still out. I hit the LST well, but too much side spin, and the Max just feels different so it’s fair to say I’m still getting used to it. I use Arccos sensors (data nerd) and diligently look at where I need to improve and write practice plans off of that data. 

What do you love about golf?  I found peace out on the course, it's frustrating, it's exhilarating, and when something new clicks there is no better feeling.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I came for the ball review, I stayed for the content and mission of MGS. There are a lot of review sites out there, but MGS has methodology, standards, and objectivity.

Where are you from? What is your home course?  I live south of Denver. My home course is Red Hawk Ridge, but I will travel all over to hit up new courses.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  There are a ton of great courses in Colorado with a wide variety of terrain. You can go from gigantic rocks and rolling hills, to forested, to mountain, to links all within about an hour of each other.

What do you do for a living?  I am global head of research for a robotics company. Research and testing are my jam.

How’d you pick your user name?  I was born in Australia. Loz is a common nickname for my full name "lauren"

Welcome to the forum @Loz24. I’d like to venture out and play some courses in the Denver area sometime. Always a lot of posts in IG from COncourses that look really fun. 

Been playing since I was 16, so just over 30 years, but took some years off while I served in the Navy and helped raise a couple of kids. My normal score is right around 100-105.

I love getting out with friends and having a good time, oh and the occasional good shot.

I was looking for a place to read and learn some more about the game I love.

I currently live in Colorado Springs, and my home course was closed by Space Force. 

Worst is the weather, it can be pretty windy here. The best is the views you get from some of the courses. 

Cyber Security

My parents actually picked it for me when I was born.

Titleist TSi2 Diver and 16.5 FW, T300 5-pw, U505 20 Degree, SM8 48,52,56,60, x5.5(2019)

Hey everyone, new guy here. I've loved this site for the last couple years and decided I'd join up and help water down the content a little bit. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I took a few lessons when I was 12, played a few rounds after, and then hung it up until about 8 years ago when I got back into it. I normally shoot high 80's to low 90's, with my low being 85. Trying to break 80 this year (2023). 

What do you love about golf? I enjoy the challenge that the whole game brings and being connected to the courses. I love everything except putting. I suck at putting and need to take lessons. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've utilized the reviews and testing for a few years to help make some very informed gear purchase decisions, but don't personally know anyone on here. Maybe I'll get to know a few of you. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from the Cedar Rapids / Iowa City, IA area. My "home" courses are Hunters Ridge (Marion, IA) and Finkbine (Iowa City, IA)

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Winter has to be the absolute worst. I enter a foggy haze of a depression from November through late March / early April while everything is closed. The absolute best thing about this region is fall golf - there's nothing better than getting out in the mid 60 - 70 degree weather, crushing beers, and power fading a ProV1x into someone's vinyl siding. It's therapeutic. 

What do you do for a living? I own a construction business and give questionable advice, just ask my wife. 

How’d you pick your user name? It's universal; thus, easy to remember. 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing off and on since 2014.  I took lessons at first, but have never really improved my 100-ish score.  I need to get back to lessons, I'd really like to improve to mid-high 80's.  

I like being outside.  I'm also an avid hiker and camper.  Despite only playing intermittently, for a decade, I'm a life long PGA TOUR fan.  I can't go out and play baseball or soccer, but I can play golf.  

I don't know any other Spies.  I like the widespread testing and advice on the main page, and thought that I should join the forum.  

I live right on the border for this sub's region, in St. Louis, MO, and I actually play most of my rounds in St. Louis' Illinois suburbs, where green fees are more inexpensive.  

Grand Marias in East St. Louis, IL and Elmwood in Belleville, IL

The best thing about my region is there are a number of very nice public courses that one can play at for under $50.00; Normandie, Florissant, Tamarac, Far Oaks, Forrest Park... and probably 15 more.  

The worst thing about my area is the  price of private clubs seems to be higher than other places in the Midwest.  I have friends in other midwestern cities who belong to country clubs, and I could too if fees in my area were the same as theirs.  Unfortunately, the prices seem to be higher in my area.  

I'm a college educator.

It sounded fun at the time.  

In my default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif Exo Stand Bag (Classic Red & White) 

• Driver: default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif D200
  • Hybrid: default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif D100 (3h)
  • Irons: default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif D7 (5 iron - 48*GW)
  • Wedges: default_wilson-small.jpg.ea46fc3399e07f5e62ef80ca4d043fc8.jpg Harmonized  (52*, 56*, & 60*) 
  • Putter: default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif Infinite - Grant Park
  • Ball: default_bridgestone-small.jpg.e52d461d54c1500846e98e911665d2ba.jpg e6

I've been playing off and on since 2014.  I took lessons at first, but have never really improved my 100-ish score.  I need to get back to lessons, I'd really like to improve to mid-high 80's.  

I like being outside.  I'm also an avid hiker and camper.  Despite only playing intermittently, for a decade, I'm a life long PGA TOUR fan.  I can't go out and play baseball or soccer, but I can play golf.  

I don't know any other Spies.  I like the widespread testing and advice on the main page, and thought that I should join the forum.  

I live right on the border for this sub's region, in St. Louis, MO, and I actually play most of my rounds in St. Louis' Illinois suburbs, where green fees are more inexpensive.  

Grand Marias in East St. Louis, IL and Elmwood in Belleville, IL

The best thing about my region is there are a number of very nice public courses that one can play at for under $50.00; Normandie, Florissant, Tamarac, Far Oaks, Forrest Park... and probably 15 more.  

The worst thing about my area is the  price of private clubs seems to be higher than other places in the Midwest.  I have friends in other midwestern cities who belong to country clubs, and I could too if fees in my area were the same as theirs.  Unfortunately, the prices seem to be higher in my area.  

I'm a college educator.

It sounded fun at the time.  

In my default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif Exo Stand Bag (Classic Red & White) 

• Driver: default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif D200
  • Hybrid: default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif D100 (3h)
  • Irons: default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif D7 (5 iron - 48*GW)
  • Wedges: default_wilson-small.jpg.ea46fc3399e07f5e62ef80ca4d043fc8.jpg Harmonized  (52*, 56*, & 60*) 
  • Putter: default_wilson_staff_small.gif.ec0304c5a8f5cbb176033cd044337f14.gif Infinite - Grant Park
  • Ball: default_bridgestone-small.jpg.e52d461d54c1500846e98e911665d2ba.jpg e6

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Newcomer here just getting to know the site and play around with it a little bit.  Look forward to reading reviews and hopefully getting lucky enough to test a few items out.

How long have you been playing golf? As can be seen in my picture I've been playing my whole life. My parents ran the local 9 hole and so I grew up on the course.  My dad always says my first club that he made me was smaller than a grip.

What’s your handicap or normal score? I play at +5 currently

What do you love about golf? I love that the game and challenges change daily. Even at your home course you never play the game the same way and the weather conditions change the way you play from day to day. It also has brought in a lot of great friendships over the years with people I may not have ever hung out with before.  It's a great game to meet people.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I don't know anyone else on this site, yet.  I've followed MyGolfSpy on twitter for a while but never dove into the site until now.  The opportunity to sign up to try and test some Titleist golf balls stoked my attention.

Where are you from? What is your home course?  I am from Sioux Center, Iowa born and raised.  I play at The Ridge Golf Club here in town. It is a beautiful 18 hole course that opened in 2009.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best thing is the interest and support our course gets from our community.  Golf is thriving up here.  The worst thing is the wind during golf season as it gets quite windy in this corner of the state.  The real worst thing is the brutal, long winters.

What do you do for a living?  I am an accountant for a cattle company

How’d you pick your user name? It is my go-to for almost all usernames

Luke Vermeer
Titleist Enthusiast

Driver : Titleist TS3
3-wood : Titleist TS2
Hybrid : Titleist TS2
Irons : Titleist 718 AP2 (Soon to be T-100)
Wedges : SM7's 50, 55 and 60 degree
Putter : Odyssey Ten 2-Ball Broomstick 48"
Golf Ball : Titleist PROV1
Bag : Titleist Tour Staff / Titleist Vokey Carry Bag

• 1 month later...

My name is Lyndon and I've been playing golf for 3 years now. I started my sophomore year of high school and I am now a senior about to go to college. I usually shoot mid 80's and I'm around a 10 hcp.

I love all aspects of golf and just being outside and enjoying the outdoors. I also love the rush after hitting the perfect drive or approach shot.

I have looked at reviews of clubs here for years and thought it would be a good place to join to help and be helped about everything golf.

I am from Kansas City area but I currently don't have a home course. I used to play at Falcon Ridge GC however after quitting working there I no longer have a "home course."

The worst thing about golf in the midwest is having to take the entire winter off which is basically why I quit working at a golf course.

I currently work at a pizza place waiting tables and hope to become a civil engineer after college.

The user name is for everything and is just an easy go to.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 10.5 w/ Tensei AV Blue 65X

3 wood: :taylormade-small: SIM Ti 15* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 70g

3 iron: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo 19* w/ KBS Hybrid Proto X-Flex

4-pw: :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Elevate MPH 95 Stiff

Wedges: 50* TBD, 54* :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 Brushed w/ stock wedge flex , :cleveland-small: 58* RTX 6 Zipcore Tour Rack w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Anser 2 w/ Slight Arc Shaft

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1

• 1 month later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I started playing in high school and joined the golf team to learn. We were not good and didn’t have enough for a JV team so I got my butt kicked every match. My final home match senior year I shot par (for 9)… still the best round of my life. I started keeping a handicap a few years ago but haven’t played as much as I’d like. Sitting at 19.1 ghin.

I love being outside and walking the course. I’m happy playing by myself, with friends or family or randos. Just ordered my first push bag, can’t wait for it to warm up!

There’s a ton of info on here and I appreciate the fair and honest approach to the testing, and the friendly community. I want to take my game to the next level and excited to follow along with everyone else a little more closely. I don’t know any other spies.

Saint Louis, MO. I would consider Ruth Park my home course. Its the 9 hole muny we played my high school matches at.

There’s a lot of courses around and relatively affordable here. The weather can be too cold in winter and too hot in the summer, which can make it tough plan outing some times.

I am the VP of Technology for a small b2b incentives and marketing company.

It’s my name, might change it at some point.

For STL folks, I just started playing in a Sim league at Family Golf and Learning Center, but looking for something to join when the weather is nicer if ya’ll know of anything!

Edited by johngschulz

WITB:
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 11*
4 wood: Titleist 975f 16.5*
7 wood: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III
Irons: 5-PW Maltby DBM Forged, Nippon Pro Modus 120s
Wedges: 50* PING S159 S-12 | 54* PING S159 S-12 | 58*: PING S159 T-6
Putter: PING Sigma G Kinloch C

Forum Tests and Reviews:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

Pumped to have found this website and forum and engage everyone. I've been playing golf for about the last 10 years. It's been a process that's for sure! Started out as a baseball player with a horrible swing, befriended a pro at the muni that I worked at, got some extremely helpful advice to get started, and then got hooked! Now I play between a 5.5 and a 7. In 2023, I logged 70 rounds, averaging an 82 with a low of 71 for my first ever even par round. That was quite the highlight on a fun season of a lot of golf and a lot of improvement.

I found MyGolfSpy on Instagram and have actively been following their posts. It wasn't until I clicked the link in their bio that I found this forum. As far as I know, I haven't heard of anyone else that's registered to my a "Spy". I surely will put my friends on to this site though and hopefully they find the community to be worthwhile, like I do.

I'm in Omaha, NE, and regularly play at The Players Club at Deer Creek. I joined this club in 2023 and have loved every round I've played there. It's a 27 hole private course designed by Arnold Palmer. It's a fun and challenging course that is maintained very well and never disappoints. 

Every midwesterner knows that golf season goes through a lot of ups and down depending on the season. Honestly, the best part of Nebraska golf is the spring and fall. Summer is great, but 100º days will wear you down. However, a hot day on the course is 1000x better than not being able to play in the winter. Thank God for simulator golf, right?!

I own my own insurance practice which, fortunately, allows me to make my own schedule. This means a lot of golf when it's nice out, which is incredible! I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I look forward to interacting with everyone more and more going forward. Hit em straight!

Best - 

Ian Ekdahl