Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

International

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

4 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Welcome, Jon!

Your golf and baseball history sounds a lot like mine, with two exceptions:

1. I never even got semi-serious about golf as a youngster; baseball was ALWAYS #1 for me and football was next.
  2. I didn’t play baseball in Europe, but I did play a couple winters in Puerto Rico when I was in my early-mid 20s, not really getting into golf at all until age 36 when I basically “retired” from competitive baseball.

You are going to love this forum! Great guys, positive vibes, and lots of informative and helpful information…..plus, fabulous product reviews and testing opportunities.

Baseball was also top of the list for me as well, but the “baseball problem” that I alluded to was the high school coach who “convinced” me that if I was serious about baseball, then I needed to lay off golf. He’d said the golf and baseball swings, though similar, couldn’t coexist, and that I’d have to choose. 
I ended up playing D1 baseball, and several years in Indy Ball before journeying over to Germany. I also finally spit the bit so to speak and stopped playing baseball competitively around 36. My ol’ catcher bones had a small part to play in that decision haha. 

Hit it hard!

22 minutes ago, JMarsh1510 said:

Baseball was also top of the list for me as well, but the “baseball problem” that I alluded to was the high school coach who “convinced” me that if I was serious about baseball, then I needed to lay off golf. He’d said the golf and baseball swings, though similar, couldn’t coexist, and that I’d have to choose. 
I ended up playing D1 baseball, and several years in Indy Ball before journeying over to Germany. I also finally spit the bit so to speak and stopped playing baseball competitively around 36. My ol’ catcher bones had a small part to play in that decision haha. 

I heard the exact same thing about the baseball and golf swings from multiple coaches and managers, from American Legion ball on up, which is a major reason why I didn’t take up golf until after my competitive baseball career ended.

Ahhhhh…a fellow catcher! My primary position was catcher, beginning at age 11 or 12 (converted from shortstop/center fielder), and continuing through my early to mid 30s. I did play an increasing number of games at both third and first base after age 28, when I had my first of a half-dozen knee and shoulder surgeries. However, I still always considered catcher to be my #1 position.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

15 minutes ago, JMarsh1510 said:

Your D1 and Independent Ball career were both a step or two higher than mine. I played a little junior college ball, and several years of semi-pro ball in Liga Athletica Tony Alomar in Rochester, NY which is what got me to Puerto Rico Winter Ball.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

25 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Your D1 and Independent Ball career were both a step or two higher than mine. I played a little junior college ball, and several years of semi-pro ball in Liga Athletica Tony Alomar in Rochester, NY which is what got me to Puerto Rico Winter Ball.

Would have loved to play a winter or two in Puerto Rico!! One of my Indy teammates was Puerto Rican and he spoke very highly of winter ball there. 

Hit it hard!

Hello all!

I started golf last year somewhere around April (bought some used clubs from my friend). I have quite many friends playing and I thought that why won't I give it a chance as well! I have a strong ball game background (e.g. Floorball) which has helped me quite a much with the game. My first round ever was in May and got my first birdie on the fourth hole (short par 4, nice 1st shot on the green) on that round. Thought that this isn't that hard but understood the reality of the sport quite quickly as the round ended up being 126 shots or something. In Finland the summer is short so there are only few months when you can actually play. My handicap is 26 after the first summer and looking forward to get on the course after few months. While waiting, I have been quite active on going to Trackman simulator (Trackman HCP is now 4.6)

I really find the game addicting as you don't need to play perfect round of golf to enjoy it: Sometimes it is enough just to play a good hole or one good single shot. As there is always room for improvement, it brings me back every time.

MyGolfSpy is quite new thing for me, but as I have been quite interested on the gear, this seems a good place for getting some honest reviews and information about the clubs etc. From that set that I bought from my friend, there is left only a driver and hybrid left

I am located in Tampere, Finland and a member of Nokia River Golf. (Sami Välimäki, the first Finnish player on PGA tour is also from NRG). The club has two courses which is really nice. Short season is Finland is not so cool.

To finance the hobby, I am doing data analytics related stuff for living. I haven't yet started to use data to improve my game too much, just try to get my swing consistent before that 😄

To the end, here is an image from my beautiful home course

IMG_1510.jpeg

• Ping i25 driver - Aldila NVS 65 Stiff
  • Cobra Aerojet 5w - MCA Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
  • Cobra LTDx 4h - KBS PGI 85 Stiff
  • TaylorMade P790 5-PW - KBS Tour Lite Stiff
  • Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 50° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
  • Wilson Staff Model 56° - Dynamic Gold 120 S300
  • JAG Blade Putter (Finnish microbrand)

5 minutes ago, TuukkaH said:

Hello all!

I started golf last year somewhere around April (bought some used clubs from my friend). I have quite many friends playing and I thought that why won't I give it a chance as well! I have a strong ball game background (e.g. Floorball) which has helped me quite a much with the game. My first round ever was in May and got my first birdie on the fourth hole (short par 4, nice 1st shot on the green) on that round. Thought that this isn't that hard but understood the reality of the sport quite quickly as the round ended up being 126 shots or something. In Finland the summer is short so there are only few months when you can actually play. My handicap is 26 after the first summer and looking forward to get on the course after few months. While waiting, I have been quite active on going to Trackman simulator (Trackman HCP is now 4.6)

I really find the game addicting as you don't need to play perfect round of golf to enjoy it: Sometimes it is enough just to play a good hole or one good single shot. As there is always room for improvement, it brings me back every time.

MyGolfSpy is quite new thing for me, but as I have been quite interested on the gear, this seems a good place for getting some honest reviews and information about the clubs etc. From that set that I bought from my friend, there is left only a driver and hybrid left

I am located in Tampere, Finland and a member of Nokia River Golf. (Sami Välimäki, the first Finnish player on PGA tour is also from NRG). The club has two courses which is really nice. Short season is Finland is not so cool.

To finance the hobby, I am doing data analytics related stuff for living. I haven't yet started to use data to improve my game too much, just try to get my swing consistent before that 😄

To the end, here is an image from my beautiful home course

IMG_1510.jpeg

Welcome to the forum and to golf!
I'm always impressed with people that take up golf in northern countries like Finland and Sweden. You really have to like it!
I had to look where it was located and you're even further north than St. Petersburg! Whew it must get cold up there.
image.png.a0a8f8db039bf026e9f1aee466382123.png

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

9 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Welcome to the forum and to golf!
I'm always impressed with people that take up golf in northern countries like Finland and Sweden. You really have to like it!
I had to look where it was located and you're even further north than St. Petersburg! Whew it must get cold up there.
image.png.a0a8f8db039bf026e9f1aee466382123.png

Thank you! 

Summers in Finland are actually quite okay. There are lot of days in June-August (and randomly in May and September) when the temperature is  > +20 celsius degrees. But yes, now it is quite cold. This week it will be -20 at coldest (-4 Fahrenheit). 

Fun fact: In Finland, there are some winter courses for golf where they basically are playing on tamped snow. Here is a cool video from one course

• Ping i25 driver - Aldila NVS 65 Stiff
  • Cobra Aerojet 5w - MCA Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
  • Cobra LTDx 4h - KBS PGI 85 Stiff
  • TaylorMade P790 5-PW - KBS Tour Lite Stiff
  • Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 50° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
  • Wilson Staff Model 56° - Dynamic Gold 120 S300
  • JAG Blade Putter (Finnish microbrand)

4 hours ago, TuukkaH said:

Thank you! 

Summers in Finland are actually quite okay. There are lot of days in June-August (and randomly in May and September) when the temperature is  > +20 celsius degrees. But yes, now it is quite cold. This week it will be -20 at coldest (-4 Fahrenheit). 

Fun fact: In Finland, there are some winter courses for golf where they basically are playing on tamped snow. Here is a cool video from one course

Oh my that was an interesting video.  Mercedes is missing a great marketing opportunity, "The official vehicle of snow golf..."

Looks like a cool (pun intended) time.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

Jumping in here as a newbie:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - Been playing for about 15 years but only recently been playing a lot more. Golf was one of the few things you could do lots of in COVID so found myself playing at least once a fortnight. That helped bring my handicap down to about 22 and since then I've recently trimmed this to 18 and hoping to get to about 14/15 by the end of 2024 with the help of a few lessons.
  2. What do you love about golf? Being able to get out of the house and take time for myself. The social aspect is great and often enjoy playing with new people and getting to know more of my local club.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Consistently where I've come to get more insight and ideas on what to look for in new clubs and balls as I've got better and upgraded some things in the bag. 
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Originally from the UK, I now live in Sydney and the inner west and local club is Barnwell Park. It's a nice short course with only 1 par 5 and means I can get around quickly when needed!
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? It can definitely be a bit snooty at times but seems to be getting better. Certainly the best thing is some of the camaraderie of golf - a shank can be a great equaliser as we've all been there!
  6. What do you do for a living? I'm a Project Manager for a tech firm which means I definitely need the walk and getting away from the computer when I can.
  7. How’d you pick your user name? As boring as it sounds, it's pretty much my name...

D - Callaway X 416

3 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX850

Irons - Mizuno MPH4 5-PW

54deg Vokey SM7

50deg & 58 deg Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full-Face

P - Odyssey Tank 2 ball  

4 hours ago, SDunne said:

Jumping in here as a newbie:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - Been playing for about 15 years but only recently been playing a lot more. Golf was one of the few things you could do lots of in COVID so found myself playing at least once a fortnight. That helped bring my handicap down to about 22 and since then I've recently trimmed this to 18 and hoping to get to about 14/15 by the end of 2024 with the help of a few lessons.
  2. What do you love about golf? Being able to get out of the house and take time for myself. The social aspect is great and often enjoy playing with new people and getting to know more of my local club.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Consistently where I've come to get more insight and ideas on what to look for in new clubs and balls as I've got better and upgraded some things in the bag. 
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Originally from the UK, I now live in Sydney and the inner west and local club is Barnwell Park. It's a nice short course with only 1 par 5 and means I can get around quickly when needed!
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? It can definitely be a bit snooty at times but seems to be getting better. Certainly the best thing is some of the camaraderie of golf - a shank can be a great equaliser as we've all been there!
  6. What do you do for a living? I'm a Project Manager for a tech firm which means I definitely need the walk and getting away from the computer when I can.
  7. How’d you pick your user name? As boring as it sounds, it's pretty much my name...

Welcome to the Forum, I lived in Sydney for 33 years and was a member at Liverpool and surrounding areas. Played at many courses with business/Lions people I knew, never found any difficult people on the golf course.. Enjoy your golf and Aussies like taking the piss and you give as good as you get 😉

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Hi Everyone, 

New to the forum (new to any forum really). I'm excited to dive in and learn more about some of the gear discussed on the forum and meet people in my area! From an outside (now insider) perspective, Spies look like they have more fun - excited to join!

1. I've been playing for 25 years on and off. Now, 32 years old, playing some of my best golf, HCP is a 9.5, scoring mid to low 80's most often.

2. I love the banter, the side games, the after round beers and getting out with the fellas on the weekend. There is something to love in every aspect of this game... I keep going out each round to find out what else there is! 

3. I was introduced to MyGolfSpy through @GolfSpy_APH. Our brand, Sundog Eyewear, is excited to be mentioned in the future. I have had the pleasure of meeting Jamie with MyGolfSpy to get started. Outside of the forum, I have been following along on IG for some time. Excited to be in the mix!

4. I'm from Calgary, Canada. My home course is Bearspaw. If your from the area, lets get a round in!

5. The weather is by far the worst part of golf in Calgary. No golf for about 7 months a year is tough! However, when the sun is shining and courses are open, we have some of the best golf you will find around Calgary and area.

6. I work for Sundog Eyewear as Director of Business Development. We are predominant name in the Golf industry, especially in Canada, but in many other regions worldwide. We look forward to being mentioned in future testing... keep an eye out!

7. My last name is a mouthful, "Hoogstraten". I go by "Hoogs" for short, hence Kevin Hoogs! Feel free to call me by Hoogs. Cheers!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 9°

Wood:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 3W

Irons:     :Miura: ICL-601 Driving Iron

:srixon-small: Z785 4-P

Wedge:   :cleveland-small: RTX-4 50°, 56°, 60°

Putter:   :cleveland-small: Frontline 4.0 w/ Pistol Grip

14 minutes ago, Kevin Hoogs said:

Hi Everyone, 

New to the forum (new to any forum really). I'm excited to dive in and learn more about some of the gear discussed on the forum and meet people in my area! From an outside (now insider) perspective, Spies look like they have more fun - excited to join!

Glad to have you hear and a warm welcome from a pretty fantastic community! 

Be sure to check out The Good Morning thread. Pretty much the best place to start your day. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

14 minutes ago, Kevin Hoogs said:

Hi Everyone, 

Welcome to the forums Hoogs  from 10 hours SW of you!!  Glad you joined us.  It's been quite awhile since I was up your way; love the area.  Spent a lot of time in Banff/Lake Louise.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Welcome to the forums Hoogs  from 10 hours SW of you!!  Glad you joined us.  It's been quite awhile since I was up your way; love the area.  Spent a lot of time in Banff/Lake Louise.

Thanks, Kenny! Banff and Louise have some wicked golf spots nearby. Not to mention cabot coming a bit further in Revelstoke next year. Keep that on your "must-play" lists. I'd love to make it don't to WA for some golf - it would help extend my season! haha. Cheers!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 9°

Wood:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 3W

Irons:     :Miura: ICL-601 Driving Iron

:srixon-small: Z785 4-P

Wedge:   :cleveland-small: RTX-4 50°, 56°, 60°

Putter:   :cleveland-small: Frontline 4.0 w/ Pistol Grip

Hi folks.

1. I've been playing golf for about 15 years from when I was 10. Then took a break and picked it back up in my mid 30's getting more serious in the last 3 years again. I'm in Australia so my GA is around 20 at the moment. Best score in a stroke comp is 81 (still don't know how) and in a stable ford 42 points.

2. Love getting in the outdoors and the banter in a round. My job is very results and outcome focused so I also like having golf as an outlet but some thing I can do to focus on the process. That actually helps me in my work.

3. I came across the equipment reviews on MGS through Google. Love the reviews. Simply brilliant detail and solid info. How good are the ball review and testing. That's awesome. Then for info the podcast and now the forum. I haven't bought anything through the links yet though as many of the companies don't ship to Australia or the shipping cost is ridiculously high. 

3. Adelaide, South Australia, Australia. Home course is Glenelg, one of the premium courses here in SA. Up there with Grange Where LIV is played (giving this for reference not division folks). Really love Glenelg. Side from being a great course, it has a really friendly membership base who are very welcoming and always happy to connect.

4. The worst thing is that because there is a lack of courses in the metro area the cost is quite high. Certainly compared to Melbourne or Sydney. There are also not many public driving ranges/practice areas. We have only just got our first tech focussed range in about October 23 (it's a trackman range). Seriously, where is the investment people.

The best though is that as Adelaide has quite mild winters, you can easily golf 365. Reading or posts from people in the northern hemisphere that is a plus. We also have a lot of interesting courses. Different layouts, type, grasses, wildlife (is that kangaroo out of range?) This like that.

5. I'm a HR exec for a bit for profit that provides services and employment to people with disabilities. Love my work.

6. It's something I say after to many shots each round? 😁 Plus I like fallout boy so it was an easy switch for shanks.

20221127_112503.jpg

WITB

Epic speed driver and 5 wood

Apex 3hybrid

Apex Pro 4-pw

Vokey sm8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron golo 6.5

2 hours ago, shanksforthememories said:

Hi folks.

1. I've been playing golf for about 15 years from when I was 10.

20221127_112503.jpg

Welcome. I worked with kids with disabilities out of university and thinking back it was the best job I ever had. Good on ya. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max Woods/Hybrids/Irons, Clevelend Zipcore Wedges, Odyssey Putters

14 hours ago, shanksforthememories said:

Hi folks.

1. I've been playing golf for about 15 years from when I was 10. Then took a break and picked it back up in my mid 30's getting more serious in the last 3 years again. I'm in Australia so my GA is around 20 at the moment. Best score in a stroke comp is 81 (still don't know how) and in a stable ford 42 points.

2. Love getting in the outdoors and the banter in a round. My job is very results and outcome focused so I also like having golf as an outlet but some thing I can do to focus on the process. That actually helps me in my work.

3. I came across the equipment reviews on MGS through Google. Love the reviews. Simply brilliant detail and solid info. How good are the ball review and testing. That's awesome. Then for info the podcast and now the forum. I haven't bought anything through the links yet though as many of the companies don't ship to Australia or the shipping cost is ridiculously high. 

3. Adelaide, South Australia, Australia. Home course is Glenelg, one of the premium courses here in SA. Up there with Grange Where LIV is played (giving this for reference not division folks). Really love Glenelg. Side from being a great course, it has a really friendly membership base who are very welcoming and always happy to connect.

4. The worst thing is that because there is a lack of courses in the metro area the cost is quite high. Certainly compared to Melbourne or Sydney. There are also not many public driving ranges/practice areas. We have only just got our first tech focussed range in about October 23 (it's a trackman range). Seriously, where is the investment people.

The best though is that as Adelaide has quite mild winters, you can easily golf 365. Reading or posts from people in the northern hemisphere that is a plus. We also have a lot of interesting courses. Different layouts, type, grasses, wildlife (is that kangaroo out of range?) This like that.

5. I'm a HR exec for a bit for profit that provides services and employment to people with disabilities. Love my work.

6. It's something I say after to many shots each round? 😁 Plus I like fallout boy so it was an easy switch for shanks.

20221127_112503.jpg

Welcome to the forum, great to see another Aussie join in.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

15 hours ago, shanksforthememories said:

Hi folks.

20221127_112503.jpg

G'day mate. Good to see another Aussie here. I'm originally from Sydney but now live in Ohio.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Hey all!

Excited to be a part of this community! I've been playing golf for about 3 to 4 years, and I'm a handicap 19.

Golf, to me, is like this awesome mix of skill, strategy, and just good times with pals. I joined MyGolfSpy on the hunt for cool golf chats and tips. Ready to absorb wisdom, swap stories, and hopefully make some golf buddies!

Originally from Madrid (Spain), my go-to course is Cabanillas Golf Club. The best thing about golf here is definitely the dry weather, but gotta admit, frozen temperatures in winter can be a challenge.

When I'm not hustling at writing code, you'll find me trying to hit a draw. As for my username, well, it's randomly generated.

Looking forward to sharing golf tales! Cheers! 🏌️⛳

Edited by kovek
  • Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
  • 58 wedge (56 bended to 58) Ben Hogan Imperial
  • 52 wedge Takomo Skyforger
  • P-4 Takomo 101
  • 4 Hybrid Taylormade M6
  • 3 Wood Taylormade M6
  • Driver Callaway Epic GBB
  • Ball Taylormade TP5X

Howzit everyone, 

South African here, I finally got to doing my introduction, which was loooooonng overdue...so here it goes.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have been play seriously for about 8 years now, previously it was just because it’s something to do with my dad when he was back home or with my mates on a Sunday drinking session. Don’t worry, no longer seeing it as a p!ss up session hahaha. I’m currently playing of a 14 HC hoping to improve with every game.  Also worth mentioning, I play crosshanded (cackhanded)

What do you love about golf?

Everything of golf, basically obsessed with the game , golf is a self-improving game, if you hit a bad shot, its not a team mate, it’s you…so the individuality of the game, I always see as a way to improve yourself.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Found the site when I was searching for something on the net, really enjoying the site. Would live to be more active but sometimes life gets in the way. Don't know other spies yet, but hoping the get to know some more people.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am originally from a small coastal town with the name Mossel Bay, here in South Africa, but currently staying in Middelburg on the highveld. My home course is currently the local town course called Middelburg CC.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best thing is, there are plenty of good course in my region, some top notch courses if I drive in a 200km radius. Worst thing about the courses in the region, I will have to say is how busy the course gets, especially over weekend.

What do you do for a living?

I am working as a Control and Instrument Commissioning Engineer on a power station.

How’d you pick your user name?

My name and part of my surname

Edited by RohanVster

Driver:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX LS Driver

3 Hybrid:callaway-small:APEX'21 3H

5 Wood : :callaway-small:Rogue ST MAX LS

Irons:callaway-small: APEX'21  5-PW Irons

Wedges:callaway-small: JAWS 56 

Putter :  :odyssey-small:2-ball 

Balls:callaway-small:Callaway Chrome Soft OR :srixon-small: Marathon (depending on course and weather)

Shoes : :footjoy-small: Fuel 

Hi folks, 

Just signed up to MGS - and just started playing golf too. So here goes with my introduction..

I started in Aug 2023 - so barely six months ago. At the moment, every week features an improvement in some aspect of the game. and a realisation how difficult and frustrating the game is, even the things that I thought I had figured out last week. I am beginning to understand the PG Wodehouse statement that golf is a walk, spoiled... I don't have a formal handicap as yet, but the SwingU app predicts it will be 30, based on my current play. Whatever that means. 

I love the way the game is so intense and all-encompassing, I forget to think about the other big things in my life. As a former cricketer, I struggle to believe that it can be that hard to strike a ball that is not even moving. And I love the idea that technique is worth exploring and diving into, to compensate for my 60+ age's lack of strength and swing speed. 

Found MGS while searching for equipment. Listened to the podcast and decided that the combination of nerdiness, inquisitiveness and love of the game was good enough for me to sign up. 

I grew up in New Delhi - we played cricket there, not golf... Hence being a late starter. I now live on the edge of London, England. 

I don't know enough about what's good or bad, but there is plenty of choice around London if you want a game. 

I am a co-founder of an organisation driving systemic change across landscapes and economies.

OK, I admit it, golf is a really bad choice of leisure activity for someone like me, given the game's poor sustainability record. But here's my reason. My son asked me the question:

"Dad, what are we going to play now that you are not playing cricket any more?" 

"I don't know. What are you thinking?"

"Golf."

Golf? What a crazy idea! Neither of us knows how to play the game."

"Exactly. We both start from scratch" (not scratch in golfing terms, obviously - we did not know enough then to be discerning with our use of language).

And that is what has happened. 

I've used the moniker as a web name in other contexts for a long while. 

Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4 / Callaway Rogue ST 5FW / Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids / Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW / Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60 / Odyssey White Hot OG 7 / Mizuno RB566

@kovek @RohanVster @Green4Spinach Welcome to the forum. If you have a chance, check out The Good Morning thread. It’s a good place to see who’s active on the forum.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

Been playing now for around 3 years, if I don´t count the first 3-4 years when i was around 10 years old ofcourse. So still concider myself fairly new to the game, but i play alot. Me and my girlfriend play around 100 rounds per season, before and after work and every time we get the chanse. I play at a 6,5 hcp at the moment.

2 things mostly, the social part ofcourse, just be able to do something active while still talking to friends and new people. But maybe mostly the competition in it, I have a backround in pro cycling and the thing i miss mostly from that is the adrenaline you get from competitions, and also all the things leading up to it. In golf I get that to, me and my Girlfriend play all the local comps and every round you can play against people at all levels with the Hcp. And there is so many small details you can train on

Just pure luck, saw different post and in the end, signed up here to get news. And who knows, maybe even I can try some things out. Also one part i miss from the time as an cyclist. All the small details you could test to gain a few % of preformance, but hey! that´s everything in golf!

Sweden and a club called Ringenäs in Halmstad

golf capital of sweden, but still it´s Sweden so pretty short season.

Working as a Naprapath/ fysio in Halmstad, also working closly with local golfplayers aswell as cyclist at both local and international level.

just took my name to keep it simple

Driver: Titlest TS2 12,5 degree
3 wood:Titlest TS2 15 degree
Hybrid: Titlest TS2 21,5 degree
4- P iron: Mizuno Jpx921 HM
50 degree Mizuno Jpx 921
56 and 60 wedge TaylorMade Milled Grind Satin Chrome
Putter: Ping Ds72
Starting to get a good setup, just want to change up the irons, with a 4 Iron at 19 degree it´s not really helping me with a hybrid in the bag. And my swingspeed is just little bit to slow for the shaft I use on the irons so hit it a little low and little right compare to clubs I testet with another shaft.

On 2/16/2024 at 10:43 PM, shanksforthememories said:

Hi folks.

20221127_112503.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Your neck of the woods is definitely an area I need to get back to sooner rather than later!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

great to see so many new international members joining! 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

10 hours ago, Hampus Anderberg said:

Sweden and a club called Ringenäs in Halmstad

Hi Hampus, welcome. A couple of autumns ago,  I visited Falsterbo to witness the amazing bird migrations. I imagine it is about two hours or so from you. Is Ringenas a links course? Falsterbo has quite a nice links course, abutting on to the peninsula that the birds use as a corridor on their southward swoop. The birds were nowhere as colourful as the two gentlemen dressed in plus fours and wielding persimmon clubs who were taking on the slings and arrows of links fortunes while I was there. Is that normal attire in Ringenas as well? 

Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4 / Callaway Rogue ST 5FW / Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids / Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW / Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60 / Odyssey White Hot OG 7 / Mizuno RB566

On 2/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: International Region

All the other nations of the world, which is almost all the people

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

I have been playing golf since I was 4 years old, started out my parents giving me a plastic club set and at sporting events for my siblings they said I would just hit the plastic ball for hours wherever we were. I finally got on a golf course at 8 years old, my brother has just finished a golf camp at one of the local golf courses and I really wanted to play with him. My parents dropped us off at the course and my brother made me carry his clubs and only tip he gave me was “just keep up”. Since then I’ve never had a lesson nor have I ever been fitted for the clubs I play (all off the rack, usually used). I played golf for my high school team all 4 years and was a +3.0 handicap. My first two years of college I didn’t play at all because I was busy trying not to flunk out and also doing a different sport for the college. My last two years of college I would do summer school to get ahead and lessen the load for the regular semesters and was able to play the schools course getting back into golf. Since I graduated in 2020 I have been living/working overseas. My job takes me all over the world and I have played in almost every country I have visited. Nowadays I am a 1.0 Handicap (GHIN) but have to get a new GolfLink handicap here in Australia to be able to play in comps which I just entered my first score into yesterday. Hoping with more consistent play I can get back down to a + handicap.

It is impossible to be perfect. The game is a constant pursuit for perfection, while that may be frustrating it’s the 1 shot a round (long putt, chip in, sticking it close for a tap in, smashing a perfect drive down the fairway after struggling all day) that keeps bringing me back after all these years. I may be young (27) but I know I’ll love and play this game for the rest of my life.

My brother showed me MyGolfSpy about a year ago but I only just recently made my account. It has helped me pick the balls I play and some other things as well, saving me lots of time and money doing testing myself. Only other Spies I know are my brother and best friend.

I am from the US but currently reside in Australia. Before AUS I lived in Japan for 3 years. Currently my home course is RMC Golf Club, however I only joined bc it is super cheap and got my a GolfLink account to start tracking my Aussie handicap.

Best thing about golf in AUS is that the courses are gems, not as great as Japan, but they are extremely well kept with great designs. Both challenging and enjoyable. Some of the rules of having to play from certain tees (in the states I always played from the Tips) because you aren’t a member or playing in a comp is frustrating it drops most courses below 6200yds. Also the golf store selection is slim and the selection within the golf stores is even slimmer. I play the Maxfli Tour X balls and I haven’t been able to find them anywhere and have had to have my brother mail me balls from the states. But honestly the number of international top 100 golf courses here in Australia/Tasmania/New Zealand has me excited for my time here to play some of the best courses in the world (golf trip to NZ/Tasmania December24-January25 coming soon)

I am in the U.S. Navy, I do logistics (pretty boring) but it has given me the opportunity to live/work overseas right out of college and play all over the world (I always travel with my clubs hahaha)

BranchManager (or some version of it) has been my username for pretty much everything… tbh not really sure why I picked it in the first place, probably some sort of joke between my friends and I in junior high or something. Also added the _au bc I am in Australia.

Branchy’s Bag

• 2017 TaylorMade M2 10.5 deg
  • Cleveland Launcher DST 5Wood (17deg)
  • Titleist TSR2 3Hybrid (18 deg)
  • Titleist 712 MB Irons (PW-4)
  • TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 Wedges (52-56-60)
  • Putter is some old Mizuno blade putter I found at a second hand store while I was living in Japan (Never found anything online about it, no idea what it is called)
  • 1.0 GHIN

9 hours ago, Green4Spinach said:

Hi Hampus, welcome. A couple of autumns ago,  I visited Falsterbo to witness the amazing bird migrations. I imagine it is about two hours or so from you. Is Ringenas a links course? Falsterbo has quite a nice links course, abutting on to the peninsula that the birds use as a corridor on their southward swoop. The birds were nowhere as colourful as the two gentlemen dressed in plus fours and wielding persimmon clubs who were taking on the slings and arrows of links fortunes while I was there. Is that normal attire in Ringenas as well? 

Thank you! yeah Falsterbo is a really nice course close to me, but no Ringenäs is more like a forrest/park course, with fantastic view over the beach.

Haha sounds like they where dressed nice, but i think that is a special sight even on Falsterbo, in Ringenäs i have never seen someone dressed like that, here it´s more " normal" attire

Driver: Titlest TS2 12,5 degree
3 wood:Titlest TS2 15 degree
Hybrid: Titlest TS2 21,5 degree
4- P iron: Mizuno Jpx921 HM
50 degree Mizuno Jpx 921
56 and 60 wedge TaylorMade Milled Grind Satin Chrome
Putter: Ping Ds72
Starting to get a good setup, just want to change up the irons, with a 4 Iron at 19 degree it´s not really helping me with a hybrid in the bag. And my swingspeed is just little bit to slow for the shaft I use on the irons so hit it a little low and little right compare to clubs I testet with another shaft.

Been playing for around 15 years but looking to get into serious competition golf. 

Handicap around 12 

Based an hour from the old course! 

Driver | :taylormade-small: M3

3 Wood | :taylormade-small: M3

5 Wood | :nike-small: Vapor Fly 

3i - PW | :cobra-small: FORGED TEC Black Irons

48°, 56° | :titleist-small: SM4

60° | :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe

Putter | :scotty-small: Newport 2 2018

Ball | :titleist-small: Pro V1