cksurfdude

Terry Koehler opines on wedge bounce and fitting.

I haven’t been to a store yet that has demos that I could take to a course or range. I’ve been at numerous demo days where demos were available, and Club Champion does wedge fittings indoor... It’s funny to hear guys like Crossfield, Shiels, and this designer talk about taking clubs to a course and try them first. I can see a single club off a fitting cart, but I haven’t seen wedges available yet. My Edel fitting was done outside, and inside both, and I’d love to try other options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

The only places that I have seen demo wedges for outside trial is Titleist Thursdays, Titleist demo locations, and Cleveland scoring clinics.   Of course,  I haven't been to any of these events recently but i keep checking hoping that I can find a convenient one.   I really want to try a bunch of wedges with different bounces and grinds to learn how they work with my swing.

• Like 3

Perfect timing.

My new swing and low bounce do not get along at all. My 60° is useless.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Perfect timing.

My new swing and low bounce do not get along at all. My 60° is useless.

Digging, huh?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Saw this in a newsletter from On Core; TK "keeping it real" on what most am players should (or not) be looking for in their wedges.......

http://www.golfwrx.com/552364/the-wedge-guy-a-discussion-of-bounce/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Trending&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

When I bought my SCOR wedges that TK sold before he moved on to Ben Hogan Golf, I tried them out at my course.  My pro had a wedge kit with several SCORs in different lofts in both steel and graphite shafts.  I might have bought them anyway, but being able to try them out from various lies on the course real sold me on the V-sole.  

Those are gone now, of course, but nothing has replaced them.  I know of no course in the area that allows try-before-you-buy.  I wonder if U-try through GG allows wedges to try?

• Like 1

Digging, huh?

Yeah. I don’t want to mess around with ball position too much because I get crisp strikes with the rest of the clubs.

Might go back to having the 56° be the highest lofted club. I can make it a 64° if needed.

If Seve could do it, I can at least try.
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yeah. I don’t want to mess around with ball position too much because I get crisp strikes with the rest of the clubs.

Might go back to having the 56° be the highest lofted club. I can make it a 64° if needed.

If Seve could do it, I can at least try. emoji854.png

echoes my thoughts as well.🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

When I bought my SCOR wedges that TK sold before he moved on to Ben Hogan Golf, I tried them out at my course.  My pro had a wedge kit with several SCORs in different lofts in both steel and graphite shafts.  I might have bought them anyway, but being able to try them out from various lies on the course real sold me on the V-sole.  

Those are gone now, of course, but nothing has replaced them.  I know of no course in the area that allows try-before-you-buy.  I wonder if U-try through GG allows wedges to try?

I'm with you on this - first time I got to try a V-sole was in the VKTR hybrid test - and I liked it. 

So when I decided to get new wedges I jumped into the Hogan Equalizers with their V-sole and am very happy with that choice.

Are they perfectly fitted for me, specifically? I dunno. Are they perfectly fitted for where I play, specifically? I dunno. In my previous wedge sets I always picked "Versatile" grind as I wanted the flexibility to use the same set of wedges for varying shot types in varying conditions - even during the same round, as TK mentions - and I'm finding the Hogans give me a lot of it.

• Like 1

Guess it depends on the type of player that you are.  I play relatively high bounce wedges and they work for me on all types of conditions and lies so I don't have to vary the wedge setup in the bag all that much.  Just need to try and pick the right shot that fits the conditions and the equipment.

• Like 2

I'm an "aspiring" 😉 amateur who hasn't been playing long enough to know exactly what bounce/grind combo works best for him... So I look at it as a kind of compromise, if you will - ie. what works well enough for me for different types of wedge shots in enough different types of situations / conditions?

Like TK said a typical recreational am (me) does not have the short game touch of a top level club player!

• Like 2

I wish TK would get back into the wedge business.  I would like a resurrected SCOR wedge.

• Like 2

I am sitting here reading the thread and thinking to myself, 'did I miss something?'. 

Terry Kohler is still at Ben Hogan Golf ( essentially Ben Hogan is SCOR branded in a more palatable manner for golfers ).

The Equalizer wedges are evolutions of the SCOR 4161 Wedges, they even retain the V-Soles. 

Hogan still does the demo wedges where they will send them to you and let you test them on your course for 14 days.  

Based upon all of that, it would seem that what TK is saying is 'Yeah Bounce is misunderstood and wedge fittings have value, but come try my wedges'. 

And FWIW, you really should try the Equalizer wedges, because that are, as advertised.  I love mine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dru_ said:

I am sitting here reading the thread and thinking to myself, 'did I miss something?'. 

Terry Kohler is still at Ben Hogan Golf ( essentially Ben Hogan is SCOR branded in a more palatable manner for golfers ).

The Equalizer wedges are evolutions of the SCOR 4161 Wedges, they even retain the V-Soles. 

Hogan still does the demo wedges where they will send them to you and let you test them on your course for 14 days.  

Based upon all of that, it would seem that what TK is saying is 'Yeah Bounce is misunderstood and wedge fittings have value, but come try my wedges'. 

And FWIW, you really should try the Equalizer wedges, because that are, as advertised.  I love mine.

Although TK is still involved with BHG, he is not part of the day-to-day operations.  I don't know how much he is involved in product design.

While the Equalizer wedges are an evolution of SCOR, the V-sole is different.  The TK wedges were closer to the original SCOR design, but they are no longer available.

TK's articles as "TheWedgeGuy" has been recently resurrected under the GolfWRX website.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dru_ said:

And FWIW, you really should try the Equalizer wedges

Yes! That's what I'm playing now, and I am *very* happy with them!

And you're right about the Hogan demo program - it's a great way to test out their clubs "for real".

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

While the Equalizer wedges are an evolution of SCOR, the V-sole is different.  The TK wedges were closer to the original SCOR design, but they are no longer available.

Kenny when (_ever) we (finally) get together you'll try my Equalizers, see what you think.........

• Like 1

I’m not the best example here because I love low bounce wedges. I’m a picker and they work better for me. I’m curious if the comment about bounce from Mr. Koehler or Tiger and J-Day has more to do with sole width than the actual bounce. We see game improvement irons be “easier” to hit because the sole is wider and the strike doesn’t have to be as precise. Since many amateurs don’t know how to accurately use the bounce of the wedge, would a grind like the wide-low from Cobra be just as effective as a K-Grind because of the thickness of the sole? The wide low sole keeps that leading edge closer to the ground leading to less thin chips? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

^^ Makes sense ... sole width and bounce definitely combine to create the playing characteristics / playability of a particular wedge....

I have to say growing up I only played low bounce wedges. Playing in the Pacific Northwest I have no idea how I was able to play those as a teen. Then when I got to college and had a proper fitting I was turned on to high bounce wedges. Never have strayed away from that. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mrfood

• By Ryan Pb
      Have been going through a complete overhaul of my bag the last 2 seasons. 
      Have upgraded Driver, 3 wood (both Cobra)
      irons just this year with some custom fit M5s
      now looking to upgrade wedges and putters
      Im about a 13 handicap. But have been always been a better than average putter. 
      Looking for a new Blade style putter. Read the recent testing review article but just wanted to see if anyone had any personal recommendations or feed back. 
      Wedges I am open to anything although I have been playing with a 56 and 60 degree last few years. 
      Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. 
    • By edingc
      I received these wedges a few weeks ago from the Golfworks, and I thought I better post something since I had asked for opinions about them in another thread. I'll do my best to make this as real of a review as possible.
      I ordered 54-degree mid-sole and 60-degree wide sole M+ Series wedges with regular shafts from Golfworks for my birthday. I have completely rebuilt my bag over the past few months. Prior to owning these wedges, I only played with a 50-degree gap wedge from my old iron set and a 56-degree Nike SV Tour wedge that was almost exclusively used for flop type shots.
      The gap wedge in my Wilson C300 irons is 48 degrees, so these fit in six-degree increments from my irons.
      These were part of what Golfworks calls "Club Paks," which are grips, shafts, ferrules and heads sold for cheaper than the individual component cost. They also come with free assembly if you so desire. I opted for free assembly as I don't have my golf workshop fully setup (or even stocked!) yet.
      Golfworks offers three different sole widths (tour, mid, wide) from 50 degrees to 62 degrees in two degree increments. The packs offer a choice of regular or stiff shaft and undersize, standard, midsize or oversize grip.
      The package I purchased included the wedge head, a KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 regular flex wedge shaft, ferrule and a standard Lamkin Crossline grip. Each package cost $52.99. For two wedges, with taxes and shipping, I paid $123.99 total, or about $62 each. 
      First, some pictures for those interested. Please note these pictures were taken after an indoor range session. The ball marks were not there when purchased!

Customer Service and Shipping
      I placed the order in mid-January, requesting free assembly and the clubs to be assembled to +1/2" from the Golfworks standard. The C300s are +1/2" from standard Golfworks lengths as well, so by opting to make the wedges a little longer they fit into the C300 lengths.
      Almost immediately I received a call from someone at Golfworks confirming I was requesting the clubs be built longer than their normal standard. I unfortunately missed this call and neglected to check my voicemail for more than a week. Whoops. Thankfully, within the next week someone else reached out to me and this time I caught the message.
      After calling to confirm the length, I also received a follow up email confirming my build specs. On this email I was able to request the grip be placed logo up and the shaft label to be placed logo down. Once the order was released to the club builders, it took only a day or two for it to ship Priority Mail, and then just another two days to receive the clubs.
      The clubs were securely packaged in transport and were received in perfect condition.
      Build Quality
      These seem to be built very well for the price. The heads look very finished. The black DBM finish Golfworks uses is very nice, and it is supposed to hold up much better than PVD. The grips were put on straight and the Crosslines feel as expected (the C300s come stock with Crosslines as well). Perhaps the only thing I could say is that the ferrules were not buffed to a perfectly smooth surface. Small gripe, I know.
      Size / Shape / Etc.
      I don't feel I am overly picky with wedges. The head shape seems traditional, not too big or small, and fits my eye fine. Black finish is matte and shouldn't cause any problems with glare.
      I opted for the wide sole 60-degree wedge as an "easy to swing" option from the sand or close to the green. You cannot really open the 60-degree up because of the wide sole. Until I can get out on the course and actually play, I don't know how this will affect my use of this club. I do think it will be very nice from thick rough as the wider sole should help keep the club face from being grabbed too much.
      The mid-sole 54-degree wedge has the perfect sole width for what I envision its use to be -- nearly full swing shots from the fairway. It feels more like my short irons than a "blade-y" wedge.
      I would probably opt for the mid-sole on the 60-degree wedge if I could go back in time.
      Feel / Playability
      I got a chance to hit a few range balls two weekends ago. I don't particularly care for hitting wedges from mats, but I probably hit 10 balls or so with each club. As you may be able to see in the pictures, I had a few poor strikes and a few good ones.
      The new grooves and milled face definitely shredded some cover off of the balls. I am still working on some swing changes, so there were some ugly hooks mixed in, but I was impressed with the ease of which the Hi-Revs launched and the stopping power. Using the 60-degree wedge I was able to get a ball to stay on the ice-covered 70-yard green, impressive to say the least.
      I was also able to hit the 54-degree wedge consistent in the 70-100 yard range, which is my expected use case.
      Because I ordered these +1/2", they come in a little heavier than standard specs. Based on my cheap Golfworks scale, they both are about at D6 swingweight. For comparison, my C300s are D2 across the set.
      I won't be able to play outdoors for another few weeks at the earliest, but I am excited to get these into real action.
      Final Thoughts (For now...)
      I think these are an excellent value for $62, especially given the more expensive shaft option. They do have cheaper "pak" options with this head in the $40 range as well. I doubt there is a ton of reason to spend more on a wedge. 
      Golfworks also routinely runs a free shipping promotion on orders greater than $60, so you can save a couple more dollars by waiting for that as well.
      My biggest concern at this point is whether the regular flex shafts were too soft of a choice, though I won't know for sure until I get out on the course.
    • By cksurfdude
      Matt Saternus (used to be with MGS) of PluggedInGolf.com posted an interesting article...
      "Do wedge shafts matter?"
      https://pluggedingolf.com/do-wedge-shafts-matter-golf-myths-unplugged/
      He tested in a similar style to MGS using a variety of recreational players and identical wedge heads with different shafts, then swapping them among the players and having them hit different short game shots. Results are measured by Trackman at a Club Champion.
      The questions he was looking to "Confirm" or "Bust" include...
      Myth #1 – A wedge shaft can create more spin
      Myth #2 – A wedge shaft can change launch angle
      Myth #3 – A wedge shaft can improve accuracy
      Myth #4 – A wedge shaft can improve consistency
      Myth #5 – The same shaft will fit all your wedges
      Interesting and informative article .. worth a look!
      https://pluggedingolf.com/do-wedge-shafts-matter-golf-myths-unplugged/
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      So much about this booth I loved.  From (Drivers...though we have a great thread on that and they were crazy busy so no pics here of those) irons,  slate blue wedges and  putters.  Be sure to check out the  Putter Forum for a couple exciting offerings.

• By Golfspy_CG2
      This is pretty cool, and I'm sure we'll get some saying $260 plus for a wedge is ridiculously expensive, but again, it's not being force on anyone, it's an option that has in the past only  been available to the most elite players in the world, that is now available to anyone wanting to buy the service. 
      Press Release:
      Master Craftsman Bob Vokey is now offering the tour grinding experience to all golfers through the introduction of the new HandGround program on Vokey.com. 

For golfers seeking tour-level customizations such as additional heel relief, a squared up leading edge, or Bob’s popular tour grind, the HandGround program is the answer. 

For the last year, Bob has personally trained two grinders on all of the performance and profile adjustments that have resulted from his more than two decades of work with the world’s best players. 

Bob’s passion for building relationships with individual players is the essence of the Vokey brand. Voke takes the time to listen to a player’s wants and, more importantly, their needs, when hitting wedge shots. He then takes this information back to the tour truck and starts grinding heads. The process can be lengthy, but when it is done right, it is worth the wait. 

Bob will oversee the entire HandGround process – located in a new workspace adjacent to the Titleist Tour Department, inside the Titleist Golf Club headquarters in Carlsbad, Calif. – and, from time to time, will also grind HandGround orders himself. 

QUOTING BOB VOKEY: “This takes me back to my roots - one player at a time, one wedge at a time, crafting the sole to the player's exact specifications.” 

HANDGROUND OPTIONS: In selecting the HandGround option – currently available on all Vokey SM7 Raw models, the preferred finish of tour players worldwide – golfers will be able to choose from a variety of performance and profile adjustments (two adjustments maximum). 

• Performance adjustments: As course conditions change, tour players make adjustments to their wedges to improve turf interaction by grinding material off the sole of the wedge. These grinds allow the player to change the wedge’s playing characteristics based on their unique swingtype and course conditions resulting in finely tuned performance. 

Performance adjustments include: 
      - Pre-Worn Leading Edge 
      - Smooth Grind Lines 
      - Heel Relief 
      - Trailing Edge Relief 

• Profile adjustments: Having the right head shape inspires confidence. Voke works with tour players to dial-in the head shape that fits each player’s eye. Profile adjustments allow the golfer to design a confidence-inspiring head shape by grinding material off the profile. 

Profile adjustments include: 
      - Semi-Square Leading Edge 
      - Thin Top Line 
      - Tour Grind (smooths all profile lines & slightly reduces profile size) 

For detailed explanations of each performance and profile adjustment, click here: https://www.vokey.com/nav/handground.aspx 

HANDGROUND SETS: With F, K and L Grind wedges, golfers also have the option to make specific grind selections:

- F Grind: Make it an S Grind. For example, golfers that prefer their 52.12 F gap wedge to have a touch more versatility greenside may enjoy this option. 
      - K Grind: Make it a J Grind (Heel & trailing edge relief) 
      - L Grind: Make it an A Grind (Smooth the grind lines) 

ON THE WEB: https://www.vokey.com/nav/handground.aspx 

AVAILABILITY: HandGround wedges are now available on all SM7 Raw models through Vokey.com. SM7 Raw wedges – including BV Wings grip and 10-character stamping – start at $195. There is an additional $75 charge for HandGround services. 

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!