Sign in to follow this  
RoverRick

Ball getting in the way of a good swing.

5 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I tried this, and i believe this will work, however, my driver swing is so bad right now, I don’t even feel like I can hit the ball at this point. I have used the driver a few times so I am getting the feel of the swing back, but I don’t think I can really use this method when I feel completely out of sorts. 

I'm also struggling with my driver big time.  I used to be "fairly" decent with my driver, but have developed this "need" to drive from the shoulders and no matter how much I work on overcoming this path, it creeps back in at the most inopportune time.  

28 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I'm also struggling with my driver big time.  I used to be "fairly" decent with my driver, but have developed this "need" to drive from the shoulders and no matter how much I work on overcoming this path, it creeps back in at the most inopportune time.  

I struggled on Saturday of  a tournament, so I thought “I stunk without the driver”, so it can’t be any worse with it, so on Sunday I put the driver in, hole 1 straight down 420 par 4, not trouble unless you go 20 yards right or 30 yards left. So plenty of room, I proceeded to hit my first shot about 240 out and about 50 yards left. Handed the driver to the club pro, and asked him to put it inside so I wasn’t tempted to try again. I have used it a couple time since, and have figured out some, but I am still not really comfortable swinging it yet. I try to use it on hole where my left miss isn’t going to put me out of play. 

• Like 2

This makes sense. Very simple concept. I have been struggling with driver, and this seems to be a simple thing to try. 

I learned something new from this video - how to stop that pop up shot!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

There's an older YouTube video about the driver that's aimed at chronic slicers that talks about setting up with the driver in the middle of your stance and just letting the ball get in the way of a full swing. I remember watching it a few times when I was fighting a banana slice and the concept made a lot of sense to me. 
I used to video my swing but I found that I would then go apply a million tips I found on the Internet and none of them would ever work for more than a range session or two. So I just stick with the basics that I learned over a few lessons with a former mini-tour player and they do OK for me. My biggest issue, like yours Rick, is just not enough time out on the actual course vs. being a range rat.
I just took a few swings off my practice mat into a net using this setup and every strike was solid and most were near center of the club face. It seemed like it took a lot less effort to swing from that position compared to setup directly behind the ball. I typically struggle with any kind of consistency with the driver hitting all over the club face, topping it and hitting pop ups. So much so that I was thinking about going 5W for driving in tomorrow's scramble, but I'm excited to try this out now. Going to have to hit the range beforehand and see what kind of flight I get.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 8/14/2019 at 9:45 PM, MomoMan83 said:

I just took a few swings off my practice mat into a net using this setup and every strike was solid and most were near center of the club face. It seemed like it took a lot less effort to swing from that position compared to setup directly behind the ball. I typically struggle with any kind of consistency with the driver hitting all over the club face, topping it and hitting pop ups. So much so that I was thinking about going 5W for driving in tomorrow's scramble, but I'm excited to try this out now. Going to have to hit the range beforehand and see what kind of flight I get.

In a scramble, always hit driver. I wish I had a scramble to play, I would hit it 14 times, and hope to figure something out. Since there is usually someone in play, pound the driver, you never know. 

Just now, Kor.A.Door said:

In a scramble, always hit driver. I wish I had a scramble to play, I would hit it 14 times, and hope to figure something out. Since there is usually someone in play, pound the driver, you never know. 

Seniors scramble tomorrow morning....I'm hitting the driver on every hole except the par 3s...even the 2 shorter par 4s that I normally hit a hybrid off the tee box.....on second thought...I'll not hit the driver on #7 .... 2 ponds make it a very poor choice!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can confirm that the setup change works. 😃 My group played 9 holes tonight. All six driver holes, my drives were well struck, one was just a bit of a slice into some trees, but fairway distance, and the last I hooked into the woods. That last one was weird because I don't hook my driver, usually it's a slice. I think I hit 2 or 3 fairways. Easily the most consistently solid I have ever hit my driver.

Edited by MomoMan83
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CarlH said:

Seniors scramble tomorrow morning....I'm hitting the driver on every hole except the par 3s...even the 2 shorter par 4s that I normally hit a hybrid off the tee box.....on second thought...I'll not hit the driver on #7 .... 2 ponds make it a very poor choice!

That’s the best way to do it.