Show us your Maltby!!!

azstu324

14 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Since I am not a club builder in any capacity, do you guys know if Golfworks does builds with different ferrules 🤔 the time to get into some TS3s is fastly approaching and I was just curious if that is something they could offer. 

The only issue I see is their custom/colored ferrules are sold by the dozen and are about $10 more per dozen where the standard black ferrules can be bought individually. I would think they would absolutely use them and possibly charge you the small extra amount over the standard black ferrule. Call them, they offer great customer service on builds.   

Glad I found this thread. I'm getting back to golf after a bit of a absence, unfortunately when I left all my gear was sold. Seeing the prices today I decided to give Maltby a try. Ordered a 5 and 8 iron, hopefully arriving soon. I was a bit concerned (I was playing Ping G400) but from what I'm reading these clubs should be fine for me to return and find my swing again!.

Cobra Amp Cell 10.5 Degree

Maltby STi2 & KE4-MAX Irons 4,5,7,8,PW and 52 degree

Cleveland Putter

5 minutes ago, LeftyHawk said:

Glad I found this thread. I'm getting back to golf after a bit of an absence, unfortunately when I left all my gear was sold. Seeing the prices today I decided to give Maltby a try. Ordered a 5 and 8 iron, hopefully arriving soon. I was a bit concerned (I was playing Ping G400) but from what I'm reading these clubs should be fine for me to return and find my swing again!.

Curious - which club did you select to demo?  Please let us know what you think of it!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

7 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

Curious - which club did you select to demo?  Please let us know what you think of it!

Being left handed I only had 1 choice, the STi2. I had them add 2 degrees upright to the lie and extend the shaft (tons of self testing to find what worked for me). And judging from the loft specs, should be close to what my G400's were. I'll admit, I can't wait for them to arrive and head to the sim!

Cleveland Putter

17 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

Being left handed I only had 1 choice, the STi2. I had them add 2 degrees upright to the lie and extend the shaft (tons of self testing to find what worked for me). And judging from the loft specs, should be close to what my G400's were. I'll admit, I can't wait for them to arrive and head to the sim!

My LH STi2s should arrive later this week. I am looking forward to getting them out on the range and course. 

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

IMG_6370.png.6b8efbf70980be7a0d254c32ed6811c4.pngThis was the dispersion today in my 7I test - Maltby TS1 with Xcaliber 105R+ RT shafts (purple).  The green was MP221 on a TT SFT 115S.

Debating what to build - 4-5/6-P combo with the Xcaliber shafts:  MP 223/221 or Maltby TS3/TS1.  I already own the Maltby heads, so Maltby will likely win out, but I was super impressed with the MP221 today.  It’s not supposed to be so forgiving, but even when I thought I hit it badly, it just went straight - same as the TS1!

Edited by IndyBonzo

• :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

The Maltby’s arrived yesterday. 
STi2 iron set 4-GW.  The 4i and GW are on back order but the rest of the clubs are here. 

IMG_3377.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3380.jpeg

IMG_3382.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg

8 hours ago, Wolfstrum said:

STi2 iron set 4-GW.  The 4i and GW are on back order but the rest of the clubs are here. 

IMG_3377.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3380.jpeg

IMG_3382.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg

My Dad is a lefty so when I built his clubs we didn’t have many Maltby options so I built him a full set of these. He loves them and they are very forgiving. Enjoy!!!

9 hours ago, Wolfstrum said:

IMG_3377.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3380.jpeg

IMG_3382.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg

Those look great!  Hope you love them. 

On 5/14/2020 at 1:35 PM, azstu324 said:

Chances are that if you clicked on this thread you either currently play, have played, have heard of, or maybe even accidentally stumbled upon someone here talking about Maltby clubs. If you're like me and currently play Maltby clubs (DBM's) you're always interested in what Maltby's got going on. the 1 (probably only) downside that Maltby has is that it doesn't have much of a DTC "program" like other DTC brands have. Like a "Play it, send it back" sort of thing. If you're brand new to Maltby, how do you get to know more about them? They're really just falling back on WOM and return happy campers. So during a time like this, I figured what better way to create some good buzz for Maltby and get more business/eyeballs looking their way. Additionally, a lot of us have expressed our intrigue to see MGS get their hands on some Maltby sticks and do some testing. Whether it be MGS or the Forum Testing, it would be really cool to see. Maybe something like this would just be a nudge in the right direction to get both MGS and Maltby to connect😋

I figured I'd start a thread that just covers all things Maltby to better localize all of the scattered Maltby-related threads (it may or may not work). Show us your clubs, tell us about your Maltby builds, from sets to individual clubs. What components did you use? Feel free to throw in details like your handicap, comparison with OEM's, Cost, etc, etc. 

I'll get this kicked off: Currently a 10 hdcp. Play Maltby DBM's with Nippon N.S. Pro GH 950 Shafts and Pure Pro Grips. I've compared these to pretty much every CB style on the market and the only thing that I'm still in debate about being better is my other set -  Wilson Staff FG Tour F5's. I guess you could say that I'm in a polyamorous relationship with both. Neither seem to mind as long as I divide my time evenly. They both give me back what I need so everybody's happy. If I Recall, I paid somewhere in the ball park of $350 to have these built, bent, and shipped. 

image.png.64b2bb328e91fcbae650fd69fa0d9cf3.png    image.png.e849b771300d67c1c7ce465d66e7f9a7.png

image.png.c121cb304f37fd23423f0e797043464c.png   image.png.fce5ac3576ffb1c3de6e7aacfb52d9fa.png

Back in the 1970s and early eighties, Ralph Maltby's GolfWorks made some absolutely beautiful persimmon and laminated maple woods.  You could choose more than shaft and grip.  You could choose even more than multiple finishes.  You could even request loft, lie, and face angle adjustments.  It was great.

They still make some good stuff today, it appears, but their inventory always seems short of some of the pieces one might want to order...especially the lower demand ones.

Did some reading on these clubs.... WOW really amazed these do not have a bigger following with how much everyone seems to enjoy using them.

I ordered a 7i in the TS1 IM & the TS3 head just to see which I enjoy more and prefer compared to my Mizuno 919 Forged. trying out the Score LT shaft vs my gamer DG 105. Hear they are fairly close in weight but the profile is a tad different

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-R 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75-S 15*

SUPER HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Super Hybrid w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 18*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75-S 22*

IRONS MALTBY.jpg.db763764d25fcfd7c75f92dc47028a09.jpg TS3 Forged 4i-PW w/ True Temper Score LT 100-R

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg HB SOFT 8 w/ Center Shaft 3*

Check out my Tests...

45 minutes ago, JAYER38 said:

Did some reading on these clubs.... WOW really amazed these do not have a bigger following with how much everyone seems to enjoy using them.

I ordered a 7i in the TS1 IM & the TS3 head just to see which I enjoy more and prefer compared to my Mizuno 919 Forged. trying out the Score LT shaft vs my gamer DG 105. Hear they are fairly close in weight but the profile is a tad different

The weight and profile in stiff is definitely different. The end result may not be all that different but the feel for me at least was very different. 

1 hour ago, Deepred said:

The weight and profile in stiff is definitely different. The end result may not be all that different but the feel for me at least was very different. 

I actually ordered the Score LT in regular. My DG 105's are stiff. Based on my research (not much out there) the Score LT's are 5-10g heavier but a tad more active.

My DG 105's feel like boards to me. And if these don't work I know the AMT Red stiff or AMT Black regular will be the go to route.

Excited to try the shafts and club heads forsure!

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-R 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75-S 15*

SUPER HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Super Hybrid w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 18*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75-S 22*

IRONS MALTBY.jpg.db763764d25fcfd7c75f92dc47028a09.jpg TS3 Forged 4i-PW w/ True Temper Score LT 100-R

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg HB SOFT 8 w/ Center Shaft 3*

Check out my Tests...

On 6/20/2024 at 10:35 AM, RetiredBoomer said:

Back in the 1970s and early eighties, Ralph Maltby's GolfWorks made some absolutely beautiful persimmon and laminated maple woods.  You could choose more than shaft and grip.  You could choose even more than multiple finishes.  You could even request loft, lie, and face angle adjustments.  It was great.

They still make some good stuff today, it appears, but their inventory always seems short of some of the pieces one might want to order...especially the lower demand ones.

YES-- you could order what type of insert and the color of the insert.   I had a set of woods-#2 and #4 made up with the TT EI 70 graphite shaft.   They were a blonde color and were great!!     

In My Bag

Driver- Cobra LTDZ-LS- IM 10 Stiff-  Alternating w/ Mizuno STX 230

Fwy- Tour Edge C722 #5 turned down to 16.5,   PXG 0211- #7

Utility- Maltby KE 4 Tour 22 Degree

Irons- Maltby TS-1 IM- Aldila NV Iron- #5-#6-75 gram, #7-8-9  85 Gram,  PW-GW   95 Gram

Wedges- Maltby TSW 54- 58

Putter- TP- Mills- Nellie Anvil Stainless,  David Mills IV workshop, 

Ball- TM- TP 5,  Bridgestone Brxs

My recent build of the TS-1 heads 8i-PW has paid off nicely.  As I continue to “learn” these clubs with the Apollo Acculite 85 shafts (which Apollo has discontinued), I am finding the clubs to be super accurate and predictable in delivery.  Is it the forged heads, the shafts or a combo of those and confidence they will deliver…who knows.  What I do know is these are great conversation pieces - and you will be surprised at how many Maltby users are out there…we were waiting our turn to start our round Weds and the guys behind us struck a conversation on clubs.  I showed him the irons I had just built and he showed me the Maltby wedges he has…loves them for sure.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Question for the other LH Maltby golfers.  Do you have the Maltby LE Wedges?  How do you like them?  How do they compare to other options?

Got the Maltby Pro Series UL driver shaft yesterday, and threw on the All-Fit adapter so I can put both the PXG Gen 5 XF and the newly acquired Cally Ai Smoke Max head-to-head. Really excited to give these two a swing on the new shaft. 

Posting this in the OP thread, as well 😜

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Finally got to put a couple of rounds on my TS3’s.  Thursday night men’s night we played a scramble so really didn’t get much feel for them , just because of the format , but I did win the money hole. So they had that going for them.  Hit a nice tight one on a tuff green to hold.

Saturday played 18, shot a solid 79 and left quite a few birdie opertunities out there.

Today played and shot a 75.  I do believe they are in the bag for the foreseeable future.

These are a pleasure to hit.  I can’t believe the quality and feel of these.

Edited by Deadwalleye

Driver - Ping G430 10k Max  9*  w/Fuji Ventus Blue stiff 

Fairway - Callaway Big Bertha 5 wood

Utility Wood - Callaway Apex UW 19*

Hybrids - 4, 5 Ping G425

Irons - 5 - PW Maltby TS-3

Wedges -54 , 58 Maltby Max Milled

Putter - L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max Broomstick

Bag - Mizuno

Cart - Alphard powered Caddy Tek 3 wheeler

Silence is Golden, Duct tape is Silver.

Got the chance to hit the driving range and play my first round of 18 with my new STi2 irons. From the first hit with them they felt familiar and easy to hit. I was able to shape several shots during the round. I hit a very effective fade on one dog leg and was able to hit a low stinger between two trees on another hole. Distances are longer than my old set, but very consistent. I was able to adjust very quickly and didn’t overshoot any greens. 

There were a few spots where I wish I had the GW and the 4i which are on back order. Once they arrive later this summer, I am going to be a very happy golfer. 

Happy day today. My 5 and 8 iron arrived today.  Having chased that little white orb since the Persimmon days I've been thru many different sets of irons. My last was Ping G410 which I sold 2 years ago because of back issues.  So when I decided to return to the game I truly enjoyed I chose to try Maltby this time.

I gotta say these clubs look fantastic,  and the quality knocked my socks off. I should've gotten Matlby's decades ago. Custom made clubs for lass than half the other guys.

I'm looking forward to getting to the range to test drive these, but I have no doubt that they'll exceed my expectations. 

Hugh thanks to the Golf Works guys and Maltby for an awesome product and Custom work.

20240629_093958.jpg

20240629_094036.jpg

Cleveland Putter

9 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

Happy day today. My 5 and 8 iron arrived today.  Having chased that little white orb since the Persimmon days I've been thru many different sets of irons. My last was Ping G410 which I sold 2 years ago because of back issues.  So when I decided to return to the game I truly enjoyed I chose to try Maltby this time.

I gotta say these clubs look fantastic,  and the quality knocked my socks off. I should've gotten Matlby's decades ago. Custom made clubs for lass than half the other guys.

I'm looking forward to getting to the range to test drive these, but I have no doubt that they'll exceed my expectations. 

Hugh thanks to the Golf Works guys and Maltby for an awesome product and Custom work.

20240629_093958.jpg

20240629_094036.jpg

If the website pictures were better those would be a huge seller. Looking forward to hearing how the perform for you.

Well, today I finally had a chance to get to the range. First up was the 8 iron. As this was the first time in a few years swinging an iron of any kind the first few were, to be blunt, an epic failure! topped the ball, hit 4 inches behind the ball, missed the ball completely... (UGH!!!!) Stepped back and thought about it for a bit. I wasn't going thru my pre-swing routine, so stepped back up, pre swing routine, slowed down the swing and bam! made contact and flew about 140 yards. 

Went thru a small bucket with just the 8 iron. Things started to fall into place. Hit some knock down shots to 100 yards and full to 140, for me that's about right. Definitely not the Ping 410 I used to swing, so I still have some range work to do but at this point I really like this Maltby 8 iron. It looks good at address, ball flight is good and even miss hits were what I would call playable if I were on the course.

So the 8 iron is a welcomed club to my bag. After hitting the 8 took out the 5. Lets just say theres work to do and leave it at that! (lol)

All in all I'm happy to have the Maltby irons, I feel they are every bit as good and equal in quality as any of the big names out there. Really looking forward to getting more time with these.

Cleveland Putter

Well, at this point I've had several trips to the range with my 8 and 5 iron. The 8 iron is working out great, exactly what I wanted in a club. As good, maybe better than anything I've had in the past. The 5 iron is a completely different story. Spent the latest trip to the range exclusively on the 5. No matter when I did I couldn't get it to groove like the 8. Felt like a rock coming off the club. Checked where I was hitting on the face, happily I'm hitting the middle of the face, not all the time, but even in the middle it still felt like a rock and my hands were a testament to the hard feeling of the iron.

So, I'm stumped. I've never had this hard of a time trying to find the sweet spot of an iron. What am I missing?

At this point the 5 will not be going into the bag as I'm better off without it than with it.

Hawk 

Cleveland Putter

The longer irons can definitely be tougher to hit.  A few suggestions to try.  First, tee the ball up slightly and see if that helps feel.  Try to hit down on the ball, ball then ground.  Sometimes those simple things can provide to me the feel I seek and lead to better strikes without the tee too.  Good luck!

On 7/5/2024 at 8:38 PM, LeftyHawk said:

Well, at this point I've had several trips to the range with my 8 and 5 iron. The 8 iron is working out great, exactly what I wanted in a club. As good, maybe better than anything I've had in the past. The 5 iron is a completely different story. Spent the latest trip to the range exclusively on the 5. No matter when I did I couldn't get it to groove like the 8. Felt like a rock coming off the club. Checked where I was hitting on the face, happily I'm hitting the middle of the face, not all the time, but even in the middle it still felt like a rock and my hands were a testament to the hard feeling of the iron.

So, I'm stumped. I've never had this hard of a time trying to find the sweet spot of an iron. What am I missing?

At this point the 5 will not be going into the bag as I'm better off without it than with it.

Hawk 

I would highly suggest trying a 5 hybrid in that spot. For around $50 depending on which lefty maltby head you chose it could be worth the experiment. You could even use the 5 iron shaft you have for testing. 

July 12 update - A quick update on the 8-9-PW build - these irons continue to inspire confidence from fairway to green.  They have proven to be predictable, reliable and provide a solid feel when struck solid.  Now I need to just play them more...

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

21 hours ago, Willie T said:

July 12 update - A quick update on the 8-9-PW build - these irons continue to inspire confidence from fairway to green.  They have proven to be predictable, reliable and provide a solid feel when struck solid.  Now I need to just play them more...

Good to hear, Apollo shafts perform well for the vast majority of golfers. I have a set with the Spectre Lite shafts and they are very good. I weight sorted them and found two of the seven were a bit out of spec but they don’t play any different to me.

22 hours ago, Deepred said:

Good to hear, Apollo shafts perform well for the vast majority of golfers. I have a set with the Spectre Lite shafts and they are very good. I weight sorted them and found two of the seven were a bit out of spec but they don’t play any different to me.

I’ve had good luck with Apollo steples when someone wants heavier steel on a budget. Just built a set of 7 clubs and weight sorting revealed 5 of the 7 shafts were 130 grams and 2 were 129. All passed the flat surface roll out test for straightness as well. Pretty good results for $6 a piece.