Cleaning Golf Clubs

Our Sponsors

4 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

I had them for a little over a year. I live in the midwest so I don't get to play much over the winter. Honestly I don't think I had more than 40 rounds on them, I'm not much of a backhander. The scratches I can understand, but how the chrome wore really irritated me. It looked like it had taken the polish/finish completely off. I am pretty meticulous with cleaning, so putting them away wet wouldn't be an issue.  The worst part is I don't think I did anything the would cause that to happen, a little soap and water, wiped off the dirt and dried them off.

BAsed on that description I would agree that I would expect them to hold up better than they did.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a guy shows up to the first tee with super shiny clubs that aren't obviously brand new .... I'm playing him for everything in my wallet! If a guy shows up to the first tee with well-used clubs

Evidently not all chrome is created equal. I clean my clubs after every round with just water and an old toothbrush, and dry them. Here are my Wilson RM Midsize irons after more than 20 years use, the

"IF" you do indeed have hard water, you might want to buy some gallon jugs of distilled water from the supermarket for about $0.88 each, just to use for cleaning the clubs. But being in Cleveland, I c

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

BAsed on that description I would agree that I would expect them to hold up better than they did.  

Hopefully my new mizuno irons will fare better

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

I've had my SZ irons since early last summer and after 60 or 70 rounds they look brand new. FYI I wash my clubs after every use with our great Lake Erie water and a soft club brush . I also have a set of C300's and the scratches on them resemble yours but that's after a couple of years and probably 200 plus rounds.

I also have a Ping 3.0 lob wedge that I got mid summer and the plating(?) is worn on the sole. Luck of the draw?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I played my F8s for two years, and I'm still playing the wedges.  They look fine.  Nothing like your pics.  I wonder if yours came from a bad batch?

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

16 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Hopefully my new mizuno irons will fare better

My JPX900F’s still look great after 4 years, no reason to think they won’t continue to wear well.

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
12 hours ago, cnosil said:

How long had you had them and how often do you play?   Yes,  they look like they are pretty worn.   When I look at the bottom of the PW it looks like the scratches on the sole are from the ground.   The back of the clubs obviously wouldn't have ground impact but if you do like I do and backhand balls on the chipping green you might get those scratches.   I don't think "hard water" would do that to the clubs especially if you dried them after cleaning. 

This may not be a cleaning issue, maybe bouncing around in the bag causes most of the damage? I use (every other) iron covers and the difference in my club condition versus all my golf buddies who don’t is night and day. They ALL make fun of my iron covers, and they also ALL admire how good my clubs look - no matter what brand I’m playing. People ask me if my irons are new all the time...

• Like 4
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

As @Middlernotes, not all chrome finishes are equal.  Your cleaning recipe certainly shouldn't adversely affect the finish.  Unless you find a pattern of this issue with other owners of these clubs, I'd be wondering about the type chemicals being used at the courses you play and if you tend to have frequent wet/damp conditions.  The fertilizers and insecticides can be pretty caustic.  

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 1/27/2021 at 3:10 PM, goaliedad30 said:

If a guy shows up to the first tee with super shiny clubs that aren't obviously brand new .... I'm playing him for everything in my wallet!

If a guy shows up to the first tee with well-used clubs that look like the finish is well worn .... I'm not playing that guy for money, or I'll get cider in my ear!

Learn to embrace the well-worn look! Ever seen what the pros' bags look like? Generally well worn, and with dime-sized wear on the sweet spot!

I’ll be sure to let everyone else who has OCD “just embrace it”.  Make sure you bring a few C notes to the course😉  

image.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

On 1/28/2021 at 8:56 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

I played my F8s for two years, and I'm still playing the wedges.  They look fine.  Nothing like your pics.  I wonder if yours came from a bad batch?

I saw only one other person on the cobra reviews complain of what I think is the same issue. I bet if I searched more retailers their may be a small grouping with this issue

• Like 2

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

I used Simple Green on a 2003 Ford truck bumper to clean off tar and general dirt - the chrome started flaking right after that.  No, Ford wouldn't replace the bumper.  And the transmission crapped out at under 40k miles.  Don't use harsh cleaning soaps on chrome. 

• Like 1

Try a little white vinegar and see what it does. Vinegar works well on glassware that gets spotted with hard water stains/ residue. It shouldn’t hurt the metal but start small and inconspicuous. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

Tools not jewels...

I'll soak the bottom half of my golf towel to wipe them down after shots on course and top half to dry them. If I forgot, it's spit and the brash brush attached to my bag. I'll wash them in a bucket of soapy water once or twice a year if I am really bored. But, that is mostly to clean the grips. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G410 4-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

On 2/2/2021 at 11:08 PM, lshines said:

I used Simple Green on a 2003 Ford truck bumper to clean off tar and general dirt - the chrome started flaking right after that.  No, Ford wouldn't replace the bumper.  And the transmission crapped out at under 40k miles.  Don't use harsh cleaning soaps on chrome. 

The chrome was bad if that happened. Simple Green is biodegradable and environmentally safe. I doubt it can or will harm chrome.

• Like 4

I use soap and hot water on my clubs, and a soft plastic brush, like my wife's toothbrush, for example. 

The woods and hybrids are basically wiped off, no vigorious scrubbing of any kind.  

Sometimes I will use a groove cleaner to get the stuck-on crud out the grooves.   Use gently I might add.  

I use hot soapy water on the grips with a sponge pad about once every two weeks in the summer.     Except the putter grip, never clean the putter grip, like Al Bundy's grill.

• Like 4

I have black 2019 Calloway Apex Pros and only have 7 rounds with them, but I hit a ton of balls into my net from a mat. I notice the finish on them is wearing thin across the base but especially on the front edge. I would believe ur issue would be more likely caused by sandy soil or a golf mat before I would believe it was water. Now if u had permanent water spots in the chrome, that would scream hard water to me ... but not overall club dulling. 

Associate USGTF
Certified TPI - lvl 1

WITB....
Driver: 1998 Titleist 975, 9.5°, S Ultralight Graphite, DriTec LT 1/8 Over
(everyone asks if I’m hitting a 3 wood)

3 Wood: 1998 Titleist 975F, 14.5°, S Ultralight Fairway, DriTec LT Over

Hybrids: 2019 Calloway Apex, 3 & 4, Catalyst 70 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo

Irons: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo

Wedges: 2019 Calloway PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

Putter: Vintage Ping Anser w/sound slot

31 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

I have black 2019 Calloway Apex Pros and only have 7 rounds with them, but I hit a ton of balls into my net from a mat. I notice the finish on them is wearing thin across the base but especially on the front edge. I would believe ur issue would be more likely caused by sandy soil or a golf mat before I would believe it was water. Now if u had permanent water spots in the chrome, that would scream hard water to me ... but not overall club dulling. 

I think the pictures speak for themselves. Looking at the chrome straight out of the box to how they fared down the line is questionable. Who knows what the true cause could really be

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

I’m pretty sure those Cobras aren’t chromed. The purpose of chrome is to prevent rust on clubs made from soft carbon steel. The Cobras are made from stainless steel so no need for the expense of chrome. They are a high polish finish. I’ve never been a fan of high polish stainless. It always shows every little scratch and swirl and starts to look dull over time. Titleist and Callaway SGI irons are particular offenders. 

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

On 1/29/2021 at 7:26 PM, RollingGreens said:

I’ll be sure to let everyone else who has OCD “just embrace it”.  Make sure you bring a few C notes to the course😉  

image.gif

I am with you! Call it OCD or whatever, but I clean my clubs as I play and keep them looking new. Just the way I roll.....

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  4 - 6 T200,Titleist 7 - PW T100S, Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

I don't really bother with actual "cleaning" of my clubs. I will soak them in a bucket of hot water and dish soap and wipe them dry about twice a year. Other than that.... I don't bother. They are a hunk of steel attached to a stick, used for hitting a little white ball. They are used in the dirt, sand and grass. Dirt is inevitable. I embrace it...lol.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2021 at 7:00 PM, SlowNLow said:

I use soap and hot water on my clubs, and a soft plastic brush, like my wife's toothbrush, for example. 

The woods and hybrids are basically wiped off, no vigorious scrubbing of any kind.  

Sometimes I will use a groove cleaner to get the stuck-on crud out the grooves.   Use gently I might add.  

I use hot soapy water on the grips with a sponge pad about once every two weeks in the summer.     Except the putter grip, never clean the putter grip, like Al Bundy's grill.

So my question is...... what does your wife think when you use her toothbrush?  Is hers better than yours or you don't want that grimy toothbrush back in your mouth after cleaning?  🤣🤣🤣🤣     

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TM M4  

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybids

Titleist T200 5-GW 

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H