Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Callaway RAZR Fit driver during testing

jonyim

Does it sound as bad as the RAZR? I hated that composite multimaterial sound!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Great looking driver, i love the changeable weight technology, so easy to custumize a driver with that. Let's go to cut the stupid long shaft to a real playable lenght (between 43,5 and 44,5 inch long), upgrade the swing weight at D3- D4 et let's give a chance to that driver to perform as it should.

Does they will do the same with the FW ? lol !!!

(actually, I'm looking at a new FW that i'm planning to cut at 41,75 inches and with a SW of D3-D4)...

Does it sound as bad as the RAZR? I hated that composite multimaterial sound!

Wie gehts Steven! Hey I just wanted to say I agree, not a fan of the composite sound in general, but thought the RAZR Hawk sounded MUCH better than the FT-9, FT-5. A lot less muted, a lot more metal sounding. I guess it's all preference, but found myself pleasantly surprised to not hear the muted sound I had come to expect from the composite. Either way, I can't wait to get my hands on this new one.

Invictus.

Exitus acta probat.

Bona fide.

These look good. I'm sure I'm gonna be testing these and the PING i20 when they are released

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

Wie gehts Steven! Hey I just wanted to say I agree, not a fan of the composite sound in general, but thought the RAZR Hawk sounded MUCH better than the FT-9, FT-5. A lot less muted, a lot more metal sounding.

Hi man! :D

Definitely RAZR sounds better than the FT Series... but still too muted for my liking compared. Then you have the Nike ones which sound like if you just threw an empty coke can against a wall. Not sexy.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Hi man! :D

Definitely RAZR sounds better than the FT Series... but still too muted for my liking compared. Then you have the Nike ones which sound like if you just threw an empty coke can against a wall. Not sexy.

Agreed on the Nike drivers, it goes quite a long way, but the sound is tinny and really loud, not a good combo from Nike. I played the Dymo STR8-Fit and I HATE the sound it makes, sounds like you're hitting an aluminium bat.

• 1 month later...

AHHHHHH sh*t! i was just gonna get the Fast12LS, then i see this thing... looks great... more things on my list to choose from... to me the face design is amazing, the look from address is classic and plain, no line across the top nor the callaway sign, just great! good job callaway!!!

• SPY VIP

From what we've seen so far adjustment will work very similarly to the Titleist 910D series. Two levels of adjustment at the hosel. The downside of the system is that it adds bulk. Swing weight can be accounted for, but visually, there's a lot going on.

What I find most interesting is that it looks like both Callaway and Nike are moving away from placing the securing mechanism at the hosel, and instead moving to a system where the shaft is secured through the bottom of the club (like TM, Cobra, and TItleist). IMHO, it's the right way to go for a few different reasons.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TOUR-ISSUE-Callaway-RAZRFIT-RAZR-FIT-9-5-Matrix-HD7-X-Stiff-X-Issued-Only-/290646683708?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item43abe4703c#ht_675wt_1109

First one (I believe) to be found on ebay, tour issue driver. Anybody know anything on the "tour issue" hosel?

BTW, I would love to buy this driver if I had:

1) The money

2) The skill :P

I read some specs on this, forgot where I picked them up, but I was really disappointed to hear that this is only going to have 3 positions (open, closed, neutral). Callaway is using the second "ring" to keep the shaft and grip orientation the same regardless of which position the head is set to. While that's all fine and dandy, I think I would prefer to have more adjustability and just play a grip that doesn't have grip reminders.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I have been working with Callaway for a couple of weeks trying get more details about the RAZR FIT. Hopefully I'll have a sample in hand next week. Assuming that happens I'll publish all the additional information that I have.

That said, to address what's been asked/said today... Whether we'll ultimately decide they were successful aside, Callaway has been very clear that the adjustabiility was designed to be SIMPLE and MEANINGFUL. What this means in practice is that there are fewer settings than other OEMs offer, however; they are more meaningful insomuch as open is really open, closed is really closed. None of the in-between half a degree type stuff that, if we're being honest, most of us probably aren't going to benefit from.

I don't have the specifics yet, buy the Tour model will feature the same head, but offer more comprehensive/pinpoint adjustability.

Matt - My preference is the opposite of yours. I like the simple approach, but more importantly, by not changing the orientation of the shaft, the Callaway system allows those of us who spine, FLO, or PURE our shafts to maintain proper alignment regardless of the orientation of the head. There are some ripples that I'll save for the full article, but minor details not withstanding, this is, to me, an important differentiation between Callaway's and most other systems on the market today.

Interesting side note...we actually saw a similar implementation at the show last year, but since it wasn't from one of the bigger names in golf, nobody really talked about it. In case you're wondering, it was Honma.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I've heard recently that there will be tour hosels for retail in the future for the RAZR Fit. Personally I like more adjustability options where I can adjust the loft and lie of the driver (similar to the Titleist 910 drivers). Really hoping I can get my hands on those hosels or a "Tour" version of the RAZR Fit driver with more adjustable options. Got some info by asking people from The Peoples Clubs. Check out their website for tour issue equipment :)

Link: http://thepeoplesclubs.com/

• SPY VIP

I have heard/read that the adjustability is 2.5* open, square, and 1.5* closed. Those are substantial, so props to Callaway for that.

Those are the numbers I have as well. The biggest surprise for me is that the heads will be identical for both the Tour and Standard models (455cc). After my experience with the Bridgestone J40 and the Nike VR Limited, I'm firmly on board with knocking 20 or CCs or so.

Whether the tour fitting offers additional face angles, or brings loft/lie into play, I don't yet know.

• 2 weeks later...

Callaway RAZR Fit driver.jpg

This will be the production model of the RAZR Fit driver, wonder if there will be a tour model or only the one version of this driver. Also wonder what are the options for custom aftermarket shafts available without upcharge.

• SPY VIP

This will be the production model of the RAZR Fit driver, wonder if there will be a tour model or only the one version of this driver. Also wonder what are the options for custom aftermarket shafts available without upcharge.

Good questions...

I'll ask Callaway when I make my "secret" mission to Carlsbad, CA next week.

Hoping to hit this next Friday.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

The Tour Model will have an identical head. The Tour hosel will offer increased degrees of adjustability. I don't have the list of zero cost shaft upgrades.

Those are the numbers I have as well. The biggest surprise for me is that the heads will be identical for both the Tour and Standard models (455cc). After my experience with the Bridgestone J40 and the Nike VR Limited, I'm firmly on board with knocking 20 or CCs or so.

Whether the tour fitting offers additional face angles, or brings loft/lie into play, I don't yet know.

20 cc's is nothing. None of us would notice it, anyway.

My biggest question is, why is there a Callaway banner popping up at the top of the screen? It rotates in with (among other things) the SuperStroke banner THAT is disturbing, because I though you guys were against that.

• SPY VIP

20 cc's is nothing. None of us would notice it, anyway.

My biggest question is, why is there a Callaway banner popping up at the top of the screen? It rotates in with (among other things) the SuperStroke banner THAT is disturbing, because I though you guys were against that.

Justin - The banner I believe you're talking about is a 3-part flash banner. It includes images of Callaway clubs, Titleist clubs, and finally Fairway Golf USA. Fairway Golf (who provided the 3-part banner) is a sponsor, and they are free to use their ad space as they see fit. In this case they've chosen to advertise the brands they carry. I definitely understand your concerns, but rest assured we haven't changed our policies with respect to big OEM ad dollars.

Archived