Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Basic Shaft Flex Question

When I first started playing golf (45 years ago), I started with Ping Eye2 clubs.

It seems that, at that time, Ping standard shafts were stiff. I hit the pretty straight and then learned how to keep the ball straight.

They then got caught up in the distance and marketing trap (“Our clubs are longer”) and started playing around with lofts and shaft flexes.

The best golf I played was with those clubs. Of course I was 30 years younger then.

My basic question is: with a 90 MPH driver swing speed, how much distance would one lose using Stiff shafts as opposed to Regular shafts or even Senior shafts?

(My apology if this has been asked before.)

... There is no correct answer unfortunately. Many factors go into shaft flex with the design of the shaft being first. A Tensei Pro Orange in regular flex is going to play much stouter than an Even Flow Red in stiff flex. HOW you swing 90mph is also very important as a short, hard swing may play best with a x-flex and a long smooth swinger may play best with an a-flex even though both are 90 mph swings.

... I wish there was an easy answer but getting fit should be your first step. Once you understand how you swing and what type of shaft works best for you, finding the right shafts to demo is a lot easier. I would love to play something exotic and cool with say a stiff tip, soft mid section and mid firm butt end for feel, but alas I have found a mid everything always works best for my swing. Mid weight, mid flex, mid trajectory and mid spin. Kinda boring but at least I know what works best for my particular swing. Good luck in your search! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

The fun comes with trying a bunch of different driver shafts at a fitting to narrow them down.....

and since you're there you may as well try a few different driver heads along with the shafts.....

and then maybe try a few different head weight combinations on those driver heads along with the different shafts......

then you have to schedule a couple sessions because there are too many swings needed and you get too tired to swing effectively for accurate feedback.......

and since you are going back for a 'mini session' with the driver why not try some iron heads on that trip.....and iron shafts.....  and maybe a wedge or two...... 

not that I have experienced this but I've heard guys talk about such a cycle   🤣

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.