Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Experiences Recovering from Hip Replacement Surgery ?

WaffleHouseTour

Hi all.  The doctor told me that my hip is shot.  Even I can see on the x-rays that its squared and not round... which explains sooo many things about why, where and when I hurt.  So I'll be replacing my left (lead) hip sometime in 2022.  Ideally I'd do it in January, but that just won't be possible for work reasons. So I'm trying to decide between the first week of May (right when my season starts hoping I don't loose too much of it) or waiting until October at the end of the season and just trying to make it through on celebrex and an injection or two...

My questions for my fellow Spies is who has had this done, how long did it take you before you were back on the course and able to play, and what kind of changes (good or bad) did it have on your swing?  Any personal stories to share would be much appreciated.    Thanks.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

For background I was 61 (close to 62) when I had my left hip replaced (anterior procedure) four years ago. About one year prior to that I'd had a PRP (platelet rich plasma) injection therapy (much more commonplace now) into the torn labrum which kept me going during that year. Despite that some orthos may tell you to wait, IMO if you get to the point where you literally cannot do anything and your health suffers .. well then maybe should've done it already.

So I was always in decent shape, and never really overweight, and did what I could to maintain my strength and conditioning pre-surgery. I had a surgery date in early December and after 2 weeks of in-home PT and (2? 3?) months of in-office PT, I then continued additional PT on my own (at a place nearby I'd been to before where the PT is a golfer) ... and of course exercised on my own pretty much every day ... but in the Spring of that year I was still NOT fully ready to make an unrestricted swing. 

A part of my problem was I never had great hip mobility anyway, but it's also hard to consciously overcome your body's unconscious efforts to "guard" an injured portion of itself.

So that season was 'ease into it slowly' and rebuild over time.

YMMV, of course!
(..but start out slow!)

oh, PS:
Having struggled with increasingly severe back issues over this past season .. along with my right side hip more often telling me 'hey! it's me down here .. hey! .. notice me, too' .. this Fall I've embarked on my own little "Build Back Better" 😉 program including more yoga and stretching and mobility movements, more frequent aerobics and _light_ strength training, trigger point injections (into cramped, spasming muscles) plus regular acupuncture (and cupping) and chiropractic adjustments.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Thanks for sharing that.  That is a longer recovery time than I was hoping for/expecting.   I'm 54, regularly exercise, elliptical, yoga, walk when I'm golfing.... so I'd hope it would be a speedy recovery.  But this is why I'm asking the question.  When the doc looked at the x-ray he quickly said "well, that hip is shot"  I've always known this was going to happen someday - but I'm not wanting to wait until I can't stand it anymore - better to do earlier when I'm younger and healthier I'd think.  I'll have to look into these PRP injections.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

Had a full RT hip replacement the first week of Aug this year. I am 76 and had the LT hip replaced 11 years ago. At 4 weeks was chipping/putting with no issues. Actually hit some full shots but did not want to push it so kept that to a minimum. 

Played 9 holes at 6 weeks with full swings, tried to keep it to around 80% effort but you know how that goes. Have been playing 3 or 4 times a week in December and don't even think about the Hip during play.

The incision still has a little "puffy" feeling to it but I think almost all trauma in the muscles has repaired and flexibility is as good as it is probably going to get.

Do your PT and stretching exercises - very important.

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

My experience with the hip replacement has been solid.  Right handed, right hip in 2016.

Surgery was in November and by January I was swinging, carefully.  By spring I was at full speed.

PT consistent of visits at the house, in-home care.  Mainly the ladies gave me exercises and checked on my progress, the rest was left up to me.

I think the main thing that helped me recover as fast as I did was walking in the house.  I’d walk a figure eight around the house until my body said to stop, and I did.  When I felt better I’d get up and go again.  My wife thought I was overdoing in the beginning but when progress started coming quickly and the PT ladies offered encouragement, she stopped that nagging.

To be fair the PT ladies said I was the easiest case they had ever had.  Maybe I was one in a hundred, I don’t know.

Today I never think about hip, never know it’s there.  Feels just like my real hip.

Now the knee replacement?  Not as good 🙁

Spoiler

16 hours ago, toehold57 said:

To be fair the PT ladies said I was the easiest case they had ever had.  Maybe I was one in a hundred, I don’t know.

Self motivation is a powerful thing... and getting back to golf is a powerful motivation.  If I'm honest, and my wife doesn't read this blog so I can be, my biggest motivating factor to get the hip replacement is golf.  If I quit golf I wouldn't have the pain... but also no life, so...  So I'm sure my PT folks will see a lot of self motivation. 

What I'm hearing from you all is that even with aggressive PT I may not be swinging at full speed for four to six months, not four to six weeks...  

On 12/16/2021 at 12:30 PM, WaffleHouseTour said:

What I'm hearing from you all is that even with aggressive PT I may not be swinging at full speed for four to six months, not four to six weeks...  

Yeah imho 4-6 _weeks_ would be atypical, but .. you could be a "special case" 😜 But seriously, more and more regular PT / exercises will get you further ahead, faster - * barring any major pain, etc indicating you should lay back a bit* - and definitely lots of walking everyday!!

Don't be embarrassed at using the walker the first two weeks, and then a cane for a few weeks .. these are only temporary assistive devices.

Hopefully your situation is different but I kinda had to learn to walk properly again - I'd been compensating for so long I was unconsciously lop-sided onto my right side, and leaning forward a bit, plus turning my left foot out. Basically a mess!

So be aware of your *walking* posture and stance .. and your gait (tempo) .. and also when you're ready then start to walk across and around uneven surfaces and small slopes, too.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

At worst I would say most of my patients are playing golf by 12 weeks. Pitch and putt 8 weeks. Really depends on the approach being used. Posterior and lateral will take longer and rehab is a bit slower vs anterior approach. You shouldn’t notice much of a difference unless their is a lot of extra cleanup your surgeon will have to do with the bone in the joint. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review