Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What Are Grooves Really For?

Middler

You can find lots of articles that suggest replacing wedges every 75 rounds because you lose spin as grooves wear.

You can also find lots of articles that say irons have grooves to clear water and debris, and not to generate spin. Some even test irons with and without grooves and find little difference in spin under dry/clean conditions.

Which is right? Could the former argument be face wear and not groove wear (making both true). There are lots of articles stating either argument, here’s one of each.

https://golfingtree.com/why-do-golf-clubs-have-grooves/

A common misconception about golf club grooves is they are meant to give the ball spin.  This was my assumption until I did some digging around and discovered a guy by the name of Ralph Maltby.  Ralph performed an experiment to debunk this by making clubs without grooves and playing with them.

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/when-should-you-replace-your-wedges

The Vokey R&D team tested three levels of groove wear using a proprietary wedge robot at the Manchester Lane test facility. The results? Wedges with fresh grooves lead to more precise shots. We recommend that every golfer should evaluate their wedges and grooves at ~75 rounds of play to get the best spin performance.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I assume groove wear decreases the volume of the groove, thus meaning there is less space for water and grass etc to go.  Which in turn means more water and grass between the ball and the face.  That would be why worn grooves decrease spin.  Grooves would have little effect on a driver.  As far as Maltby's experiment, being able to play well without grooves is different than saying there isn't a difference in spin between irons with and without grooves when hitting a ball off the grass.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

every designer i have talked with have said grooves are there to allow debris to move away . meaning dew, grass etc.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

19 minutes ago, McGolf said:

every designer i have talked with have said grooves are there to allow debris to move away . meaning dew, grass etc.

What are all those little white flecks stuck in my wedge grooves?  😄

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

46 minutes ago, McGolf said:

Yep, this is it👍

Grooves are like little "trenches" that help divert moisture, grass, debris, etc. So the grooves don't "make" spin, but more accurately maintain the spin when other stuff gets between the ball and the face. In the absence of that "stuff" a grooveless face would likely spin more, because of the increased surface area and thus increased friction.

One helpful analogy I've heard is in race car tires - when it's dry they'll use "slicks" which are smooth, but when it starts to rain, they'll use "grooved" tires to divert the water away.

On the subject of replacing wedges after grooves are worn; it's because the wedge doesn't divert the "stuff" as well or (more accurately) as consistently anymore, so spin rates will be lower as the stuff gets more in the way. 

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here